Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the womens mini Marathon be banned

Options
  • 04-06-2008 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭

First off its blatantly discriminatory, as it does not allow men to enter, this would be fine if there were a similar mini jog around town for all the fat men who fancy a walk and a medal at the end.

Secondly I object to the use of the term Marathon in its name.
    marathon
    1. a race on foot of 26 miles 385 yards (42.195 kilometres)
    2. any long or arduous task or event

And thirdly its a feckin traffic nightmare and ruins the end of a good bank holiday weekend, cant they take this stroll to the midlands or somewhere else or maybe even get these women to stroll up the mountains.

There I have said it now.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I always disliked the use of the name of the mini marathon for a race so short but I wouldn't ban it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I always disliked the use of the name of the mini marathon for a race so short but I wouldn't ban it.

I think it should be banned on sexual discrimination grounds.

The name should be changed to the Dublin 10Km race or the Dublin 10km Charity run

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Rob_l wrote: »
    I always disliked the use of the name of the mini marathon for a race

Call it the 'fun-sized Snickers' so...

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Build a bridge Rob ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

How about adding some obstacles to make it more interesting? Maybe large tree trunks that swing across the road swatting away large numbers of the group?? That way it would really be only the best woman that would win!! Clean up might take a while though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Call it the 'fun-sized Snickers' so...

Ha ha ha, I get jokes.:)

If this is really such a big concern to you then I feel you have a very empty life. Besides men can run in it they just have to dress like women.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

So do what the other men do, dress up like a woman and run it anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Stuff like this shouldn't annoy you Rob, this annoyance/anger could be channeled into something constructive... If you wanna run it, dress up like a woman, if you don't... don't, simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Vote +1 for most pointless thread on boards ever.....

xzanti wrote: »

I want to use roll eyes but I will resist, why should I be forced to degrade myself so?

Should women not have then dressed up as men and put on funny voices if they wanted to go back in the old days mens golf clubs nooooooooo they protested and ruined it for everyone

• Advertisement

Ha ha ha, I get jokes.:)

If this is really such a big concern to you then I feel you have a very empty life. Besides men can run in it they just have to dress like women.

Right now you deserve it :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

egan007 wrote: »
    Vote +1 for most pointless thread on boards ever.....

Thanks

Anything that keeps the wimmin of Ireland nice n fit should NEVER be banned.

Besides, the couple of months before it have been a joy to any male... sat outside the beer garden in my local watching the beauties in tight sporty gear and bosoms jiggling run by sure is a nice sight. Sure, I do have to turn my head from the odd mess, but it's still worth it.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

This topic deserves to be made into a Major Motion Picture.

Anything that keeps the wimmin of Ireland nice n fit should NEVER be banned.

Besides, the couple of months before it have been a joy to any male... sat outside the beer garden in my local watching the beauties in tight sporty gear and bosoms jiggling run by sure is a nice sight. Sure, I do have to turn my head from the odd mess, but it's still worth it.

Ah yes I would agree if it was only pert bottomed girls allowed to run but this is not the case, the odd mess you say :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

First off its blatantly discriminatory, as it does not allow men to enter, this would be fine if there were a similar mini jog around town for all the fat men who fancy a walk and a medal at the end.

marathon
    1. a race on foot of 26 miles 385 yards (42.195 kilometres)
    2. any long or arduous task or event

And thirdly its a feckin traffic nightmare and ruins the end of a good bank holiday weekend, cant they take this stroll to the midlands or somewhere else or maybe even get these women to stroll up the mountains.

There I have said it now.

I agree. Its a fun run/walk for the ladies and has nothing to do with marathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Maximilian wrote: »

/Gets popcorn and waits for the fallout....

Maximilian wrote: »

Can Dysons go at 88mph?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

This is one of may favourite rants.

I love the conversations that go something like

silly woman: "I ran the marathon on Monday"
    me: "Congratulations, what time did you do?"
    silly woman "1 hour 5 minutes"
    me "wow, that's impressive, the world record was 2.15"
    silly woman - stupid look on her face.

A marathon is 26.2 miles (42.2. km if you prefer). Unless you've run that distance, do not pretend you have run a marathon. As anyone who did actually run the marathon (in Cork) on Monday will tell you, there is a world of pain that separates 10 km from 26.2 miles.*

Obviously a woman running a 30 min 10 km is also in some degree of pain, but I'm talking about the 1 hour mini-"marathon" people here!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think it should be banned on sexual discrimination grounds.
    The name should be changed to the Dublin 10Km race or the Dublin 10km Charity run

Dublin Forum 10km Charity fun run FTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

This is one of may favourite rants.

I love the conversations that go something like

silly woman: "I ran the marathon on Monday"
    me: "Congratulations, what time did you do?"
    silly woman "1 hour 5 minutes"
    me "wow, that's impressive, the world record was 2.15"
    silly woman - stupid look on her face.

A marathon is 26.2 miles (42.2. km if you prefer). Unless you've run that distance, do not pretend you have run a marathon. As anyone who did actually run the marathon (in Cork) on Monday will tell you, there is a world of pain that separates 10 km from 26.2 miles.*

Obviously a woman running a 30 min 10 km is also in some degree of pain, but I'm talking about the 1 hour mini-"marathon" people here!
    Your ideas are intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Can Dysons go at 88mph?

They'd fit well enough in the back of a Micra but until wimmin learn how to use 3rd gear, its not looking good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I know someone who did it and she said joggers and runners were instructed to go the front.
    However, many walkers insisted on staying at the front so when it started so the runners spent the first few minutes tripping, dodging and overtaking the walkers

Well done to all who took part, why can’t the walkers stay at the back? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

It raises money for worthwhile causes so no, it should not be banned

I would like to see a men's mini-marathon to raise money for testicular/prostate cancer

JangoFett wrote: »
    It raises money for worthwhile causes so no, it should not be banned

I would like to see a men's mini-marathon to raise money for testicular/prostate cancer

Or just one event which is not discriminatory by banning male competitors

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

Yeah, but it shouldn't be banned.

Todays society is full of these "women only" things and aren't illegal or discriminatory somehow, insurance companies that only insure women for example

But seeing as the mini-marathon has become a female institution I don't see it becoming a non-discriminatory event.

I still think its for a worthy cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Keep it (no issue there), retain it as a women only jaunt. Just remove the word "marathon" from the title of the event.

JangoFett wrote: »
    Yeah, but it shouldn't be banned.

Todays society is full of these "women only" things and aren't illegal or discriminatory somehow, insurance companies that only insure women for example

But seeing as the mini-marathon has become a female institution I don't see it becoming a non-discriminatory event.

I still think its for a worthy cause.

These are all fair points but still discriminatory and can be changed for example the lone parents allowance was the single mothers allowance and only payable to females until a man took the country to Europe to end that discrimination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Councillor O'Kelly??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

xzanti wrote: »
    Actually they don't allow that anymore. Someone asked about this and she was annoyed that men couldn't participate in any way as it was meant to be ultimately for charity (as it's definitely not an actual marathon).

Advertisement