Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst cycle facilities in Ireland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

Its just unbelievable cycling in Dublin city. It's completely obvious that no one in DCC cares about our cyclists.

There are tons of examples of this littered throughout Dublin.

* When cycling by the Burlington Hotel the cycle track closely passes a long taxi rank which is pretty damn dangerous when the drivers decide not to look when getting out of their car.

* The N11 is a JOKE in terms of cycle tracks. The bus stop at the bridge in front of UCD has a cycle track that looks like its just fresh from Baghdad.

* There is one part of the road where PEOPLE GET OFF THE BUS, ONTO THE CYCLE TRACK. I might be cycling quite quickly only to be confronted by hordes of people getting off a bus onto the track . . christ!

* Further on up the road there is a cycle track which wouldn't be too bad, If not for the LARGE, DEEP drains that appear in 3 - 4 metre intervals directly in the centre of the CYCLE TRACK. Great for flatting road tyres.

* Just after the Burlington near the left turn for Waterloo road, the cycle track is so thin, that if there are any cars stopped at the lights, the cyclist must move into a wedge shaped slanted piece of the road. This is very slippery and I have seen people slip out here in wet weather.

* Coming back down the N11 towards town there are a few of those turns where cars turn left into the path of the cyclist. Seriously dangerous.

I've been commuting this route to Dun Laoighre for around 2 months now and have already had 2 flat tyres which is a lot for me considering that prior to this I had only usually had 1 flat every 1 or 2 years on my last commute. This is due to the ridiculous amount of glass which is spread all along the N11.

I will bring a camera out tomorrow on my journey tomorrow and try to illustrate these different dangers.

All of these different dangerous cycle tracks, combined with idiotic motorists and pedestrians with no respect for cyclists just ruin it for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

adamshred wrote: »
    All of these different dangerous cycle tracks, combined with idiotic motorists and pedestrians with no respect for cyclists just ruin it for us.
    Plenty of idiotic cyclists out there too.

Plenty of idiotic cyclists out there too.

but generally the people who converse about it on this site aren't idiots and those are the ones i'm speaking to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

adamshred wrote: »
    but generally the people who converse about it on this site aren't idiots and those are the ones i'm speaking to.
    I'm an idiot. only messing, I get your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I actually got annoyed about this for the first time yesterday - approaching the new roadworks at the Firhouse/M50 coming from Knocklyon, there's a huge metal sign blocking the cycle track saying, "Cyclists Dismount Use Footpath", and I just found myself saying loudly, "F*ck off!". Imagine blocking the whole road with a sign saying, "Drivers park up. Continue on foot".

If I wanted to walk, I would walk. That's the fundamental problem with county/city councils and the government in their treatment of bicycles - they treat them like faster-moving pedestrians instead of as road traffic like they should be treated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I also have found out that the designer had in mind that cyclists should stop at the pedestrian lights (visible in the photo) when pedestrians were waiting to cross (as the pedestrian would be standing on the cycle track) and then proceed once the pedestrians had cleared the facility. So that would mean stopping when the traffic lights were green for traffic and then proceeding once they'd turned red.

I need to lie down.

But..but...oh, I feel unwell in the head now.

Still, I'd love to see the public service announcement ad explaining that one.

seamus wrote: »
    I actually got annoyed about this for the first time yesterday - approaching the new roadworks at the Firhouse/M50 coming from Knocklyon, there's a huge metal sign blocking the cycle track saying, "Cyclists Dismount Use Footpath", and I just found myself saying loudly, "F*ck off!". Imagine blocking the whole road with a sign saying, "Drivers park up. Continue on foot".

If I wanted to walk, I would walk. That's the fundamental problem with county/city councils and the government in their treatment of bicycles - they treat them like faster-moving pedestrians instead of as road traffic like they should be treated.

I remember reading before how temporary traffic works that (paraphrasing) if existing cycle lanes are blocked by works, the company in charge of traffic management has to cone off space for cycle lanes. I've never seen this happen though. But I assume that the use of the 'cyclist dismount' signs are against this.

Think it was in the Traffic Signs Manual, come to think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

seamus wrote: »

On the whole I love that section of cycle track, especially from just over the M50 as far as the Old Bawn. It's a pretty good job in both directions with a minimum of 'bump-bump, bump-BUMP' bits where it passes entrances to estates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Dónal wrote: »
    I remember reading before how temporary traffic works that (paraphrasing) if existing cycle lanes are blocked by works, the company in charge of traffic management has to cone off space for cycle lanes. I've never seen this happen though. But I assume that the use of the 'cyclist dismount' signs are against this.

Think it was in the Traffic Signs Manual, come to think of it.

Standard practice seems to be that the cycle lane is the recommended place to put the "Roadworks Ahead" sign - you know, so it's not in the way of traffic... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The signs should really say: Cyclists Use the Road. But I suppose they're afraid of being sued. I don't imagine many cyclists ever dismount when they see those signs. Why would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

@stopped_clock, is it legally a cycle track (i.e. you can't legally use the road next to it)?

Does it have this sign?r44.gif

Took me a while to check...

The signage is very odd on the Doughiska road. I may be wrong, but I'm sure that sign isn't there. There are yellow-backed diamond-shaped warning signs all over the place alright.

Bizarelly though, the "end of lane" signs are in place (this one:r45.gif.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Jumpy wrote: »
    Yes, but I dont have a photo. Try cycling through Dalys Cross between Limerick and Birdhill.

Its a dirt and gravel path with potholes and a cycle sign above it.

Haha, I remember that bit of road well! Used to cycle it loads summer 08.

Not Ireland's worst facilities, but probably worth putting here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/gallery/2009/nov/05/readers-worst-cycle-lanes

This probably sums up most local authorities' knowledge of cycling:

West-Street-Brighton-003.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I've added more photos to the flickr group... http://www.flickr.com/groups/dublincyclelanes/pool/

I was starting to take shots of full routes rather than single flaws, but I broke a gear cable while heading out towards Finglas and had to turn back. It's a good example of a route make unsafer and more inconvenient by poorly designed and maintained off road cycle tracks.

monument wrote: »
    I've added more photos to the flickr group... http://www.flickr.com/groups/dublincyclelanes/pool/

I was starting to take shots of full routes rather than single flaws, but I broke a gear cable while heading out towards Finglas and had to turn back. It's a good example of a route make unsafer and more inconvenient by poorly designed and maintained off road cycle tracks.

great compilation of photos. Infuriating to see how little care has gone into the construction of these lanes. DCC should take a leaf out of Berlin's book.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It is that one. Sorry, should have said where it was. The reason I included it is because the facility makes no sense. The local authorities have conceded that the cyclist is supposed to dismount and walk to the pedestrian island if they want to go straight on (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62253864&postcount=104).
    91683.jpg

A bump for this, I hated this design but the work they were doing over last few weeks is complete now and they have at least attempted to resolve the issues as the junction. They have built a hard island seperating the car parking from the start of the left turn filter and swung the cyclelane out onto the roadway across it with clear red lane all the way through the junction.

It's not perfect and it will be interesting to see what it's like when traffic is busy but they've certainly tried hard to sort it out

Sounds better. Maybe I'll be out that way and check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

There's something odd about that photo ^^^^^.

There's an advance stop and an area for bikes to wait in the right-hand lane. You can see the bike painted on the road. How is a cyclist expected to get there with this layout?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Is this the junction turning onto Drummartin, coming from Stillorgan direction?
    I don't use the cycle path up to Sandyford, too many pedestrians, car doors being opened and broken glass from cars being broken into (got a puncture from that once); cars are mostly stopped at rush hour, so it safer to pass them out on the outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭line6

46683_1365458470276_1646096712_31008664_4553695_n.jpg

tk max in limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

West-Street-Brighton-003.jpg

OMG that's brilliant !!

I think what the painter was trying to communicate, is that if you use this cycle lane, then this is what your bike will look like after the HGV has run over if :D

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

This "cycle lane" on Clontarf Road, Dublin is so badly faded you would think it's not a cycle lane at all:
    http://g.co/maps/9hdy3
    but there are Start and End blue signs for the cycle lane, so it actually is. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Not entirely a 'worst cycling facility', but the N2 from Phibsbrough to Finglas is a total nightmare. The speed limit is 60, so most people go 70. If you cycle on the (probably illegal) off road cycle path you get drivers right and left hooking you at junctions and at the entrances to the two garages along the route, you cycle on the road and you get homicidal bus drivers beeping you off the road and passing too close.

Ive conceded defeat and stay on the cycle path most of the way, and even then I had a coach pass within a couple of inches whilst crossing a junction in the on-road portion of the cycle path. Then there was the giant patch of demented tarmac from a road repair at the bottom of the hill that stretched across the cycle and bus lane which nearly knocked me off a couple of times and was left in that state for about 3 months.

It needs a radical redesign if its ever going to be a safe route for cyclists. Its a miracle no-one has been killed there.

Yes, I ended up on Finglas Road by accident one day. I was quite taken aback. I just used the road, and pulled over whenever a bus was approaching so they couldn't buzz me. Made sure I never took that wrong turn again. If I had to get to somewhere around there, I'd use an alternative route. (Though Finglas isn't blessed with copious access roads from the west.)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The Finglas Road is up there as one of the worst major routes in Dublin.

It is by far the most direct route to Finglas though. Ive tried going down Mobhi road and/or up Botanic avenue. Its very congested, a steeper climb and it adds nearly 10 mins to the journey.

I think there could be a case to be made for simply banning cyclists from that stretch of the road as its basically seen by drivers as a run up the M50/North road. The alternative would be to narrow it and decrease the speed limit. Reasonable considering the increase in population and housing along the route, but it's never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

monument wrote: »
    The Finglas Road is up there as one of the worst major routes in Dublin.

I just took a look at it on Google Streetview and soon came across this nice bit of parking: http://g.co/maps/d322c

Oh, and special mention goes to the muppet who habitually cycles the wrong way along the off road cycle path and then shouts at you for not getting out of his way. Ended up face to face with him last week and thought he was going to throw a punch!

mambo wrote: »
    I just took a look at it on Google Streetview and soon came across this nice bit of parking: http://g.co/maps/d322c

Mustve been taken on a Sunday as thats when the cemetery is at its busiest.

This is standard: http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.373181,-6.284421&spn=0.001263,0.002511&t=m&layer=c&cbll=53.373107,-6.28431&panoid=B2zbxr0gYc39mIj7fCWzzw&cbp=12,295.44,,0,5.87&hnear=Dublin,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&z=19

Interesting post about an objective method of determining whether a cycle route is in reality good enough to be classed as such.

http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2014/10/23/the-case-for-minimum-standards/

I assume a lot of our national "cycle network" would disappear if put through this filter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

West side of Galway City. Same every day, not just on "National Cycle to School and Work Day".

326261.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    West side of Galway City. Same every day, not just on "National Cycle to School and Work Day".

326261.jpg

Great the way a lot of motorists moan about cyclists not using cycle tracks where provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Iwannahurl wrote: »

326261.jpg
    Tweet it to garda traffic and ask them to do something about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Ranelagh in Dublin is a great example. By day, well some of the time, there's a cycle path. By night, ta-da, it's now all parking. Genius stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

There's just too many cars in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Ranelagh in Dublin is a great example. By day, well some of the time, there's a cycle path. By night, ta-da, it's now all parking. Genius stuff.

By night? By 6 o'clock surely. I used to commute through there every day and the clearway was always full of parked cars even though it was still active.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

Howth village if you can call a rutted, lifted, pot holed load of lumpy asphalt a facility and the decorative gaggle of orange cones thats been there for weeks all ads to the anticipation of finding out if god really does exist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

ror_74 wrote: »
    There's just too many cars in Dublin.

My neighbours moved out of a three bed semi across the road. Had a his and hers car. single girl bought the house. Rented out the rooms and between partners / visitors etc there can be 6 or 8 cars clogging up the estate. Blocking paths, roads. And that's just one house.

Stretch of cycle path between RTE and UCD flyover, both red surface coating and base layer worn away, storm drain at each drive way, pot holes , one of the busiest bus lane in dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    My neighbours moved out of a three bed semi across the road. Had a his and hers car. single girl bought the house. Rented out the rooms and between partners / visitors etc there can be 6 or 8 cars clogging up the estate. Blocking paths, roads. And that's just one house.

That is fairly common.

My parents are retired and both have their own car, mostly because one likes to go the gardening center while the other likes to do the shopping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,221 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i mentioned before, but the clearway (from 4pm to 10pm i think) outside ballymun garda station is never clear between 4pm and 10pm. i cycled past the other day and there were ten cars parked in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

i mentioned before, but the clearway (from 4pm to 10pm i think) outside ballymun garda station is never clear between 4pm and 10pm. i cycled past the other day and there were ten cars parked in it.

and bet they didnt belong to the good citizens of ballymun in reporting crimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

ted1 wrote: »
    Stretch of cycle path between RTE and UCD flyover, both red surface coating and base layer worn away, storm drain at each drive way, pot holes , one of the busiest bus lane in dublin.

It's literally a gutter. I use the bus lane.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

True. I. Do the same. I have almost been run off the road there several times by buses punishment passing me when we're all taking off at the lights after nutley lane. Extremely close ones. And almost always beeped. It's a good day when the lights are green!

Same here but there is one spot in the bus lane that has collapsed and forces out to the main lane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

ted1 wrote: »
    Tweet it to garda traffic and ask them to do something about it.

AGS and City Council already know about it. They choose to do nothing.

Incidentally, what the picture does not show is the way the "cycle lanes" appear/disappear about 50 metres from a roundabout with no crossing facilities for child cyclists or pedestrians. Apparently the Council regards this as constituting a "safe route to school", because "planning" permission for the school was granted partly on that basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

droidus wrote: »
    Not entirely a 'worst cycling facility', but the N2 from Phibsbrough to Finglas is a total nightmare. The speed limit is 60, so most people go 70. If you cycle on the (probably illegal) off road cycle path you get drivers right and left hooking you at junctions and at the entrances to the two garages along the route, you cycle on the road and you get homicidal bus drivers beeping you off the road and passing too close.

Ive conceded defeat and stay on the cycle path most of the way, and even then I had a coach pass within a couple of inches whilst crossing a junction in the on-road portion of the cycle path. Then there was the giant patch of demented tarmac from a road repair at the bottom of the hill that stretched across the cycle and bus lane which nearly knocked me off a couple of times and was left in that state for about 3 months.

It needs a radical redesign if its ever going to be a safe route for cyclists. Its a miracle no-one has been killed there.

I cycle the N2 to Charlestown in Finglas regular enough and agree with this. I don't use the cycle lane mounted on the footpath at all as it passes by Glasnevin cemetary and crosses several junctions and two 24 hour petrol stations. Instead I stay in the bus lane all the way down to the Tolka River and it is only from there I use the cycle lane on the footpath as its safer to do so, the only junction you cross is the entrance to the Ardmore Hotel.

But you're right, its a mess of a route. Eventually at the end of it you get spit off the pavement and directly into the path of traffic turning left from the Finglas Road onto Wellmount Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Rathmines! Always, always blocked with cars, vans, buses, trucks, on both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

OP, the worst thing about cycle facilities in Ireland is.........there are none. Even where I live in North County Dublin, we have one pavement bike lane that runs for maybe a kilometre.

• Advertisement
Advertisement