Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

I would love to see Castlerahan win it and hope the pressure doesn't get to them . Here's hoping for a good game
    Congrats to Mullahoran hopefully they'll give Ulster a rattle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

The lads on We Are Cavan were talking up Castlerahan in their post match review but I didn’t find them very impressive at the weekend. They should have beat Lavey the first week and let a 9 point lead slip back to two on Saturday evening. They just can’t kill off a game.

Mackey doesn’t look himself, a poor showing from him. Enda Flanagan should do a bit more running of his feet and less of his mouth. Cormac Daly doesn’t look the player he did when he was midfield two years ago.

Rahan’s best players were the sublime David Wright (4 points from a midfielder along with his fielding was a terrific display), his midfield partner Pauric Smith, who does a lot of the dirty work, Sean Brady, creative and industrious and Ronan Flanagan, top class performer. The problem for Cavan is three of those four are the wrong side of 30!!

Having seen Crosserlough in the game before disposing of a very good Gowna team, I’ll be putting my money on the Kilnaleck lads who should be the underdogs this weekend.

My heart would love to see Castlerahan win it, as it would for most people I imagine, but the head says they just don’t have it in this group of players. There’s something in their heads that they can’t get over.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Cavan_King wrote: »
    The lads on We Are Cavan were talking up Castlerahan in their post match review but I didn’t find them very impressive at the weekend. They should have beat Lavey the first week and let a 9 point lead slip back to two on Saturday evening. They just can’t kill off a game.

Mackey doesn’t look himself, a poor showing from him. Enda Flanagan should do a bit more running of his feet and less of his mouth. Cormac Daly doesn’t look the player he did when he was midfield two years ago.

Rahan’s best players were the sublime David Wright (4 points from a midfielder along with his fielding was a terrific display), his midfield partner Pauric Smith, who does a lot of the dirty work, Sean Brady, creative and industrious and Ronan Flanagan, top class performer. The problem for Cavan is three of those four are the wrong side of 30!!

Having seen Crosserlough in the game before disposing of a very good Gowna team, I’ll be putting my money on the Kilnaleck lads who should be the underdogs this weekend.

My heart would love to see Castlerahan win it, as it would for most people I imagine, but the head says they just don’t have it in this group of players. There’s something in their heads that they can’t get over.

I thought apart from Wright, Cormac Daly was Castlerahan's best player. He was driving forward even at end. Mackey has being carrying illness but still scored 3 or 4 points and a lot went through him.
    Lavey came back into it after Wright got winded.

I thought apart from Wright, Cormac Daly was Castlerahan's best player. He was driving forward even at end. Mackey has being carrying illness but still scored 3 or 4 points and a lot went through him.
    Lavey came back into it after Wright got winded.

Lavey changing their tactics had more to do with it I thought. Gerry Smith moved out to midfield and they pushed up on the Castlerahan kick out. Two moves that should have come a lot sooner.

Perhaps I’m being harsh on Daly but having seen him operate at midfield in a semi final two years ago I felt he was far more involved then.

What’s the story with all these outsiders on the Ballyjamesduff team? Has Ballyduff become the business hub of Cavan! I heard they now have lads from Meath and Kerry, Ennis and McSweeney. Plus Kiernan.

Why the sudden influx of these lads from other counties? Has Keoghan the cheque book out?

Lavey changing their tactics had more to do with it I thought. Gerry Smith moved out to midfield and they pushed up on the Castlerahan kick out. Two moves that should have come a lot sooner.

Perhaps I’m being harsh on Daly but having seen him operate at midfield in a semi final two years ago I felt he was far more involved then.

What’s the story with all these outsiders on the Ballyjamesduff team? Has Ballyduff become the business hub of Cavan! I heard they now have lads from Meath and Kerry, Ennis and McSweeney. Plus Kiernan.

Why the sudden influx of these lads from other counties? Has Keoghan the cheque book out?

Ennis not living near his club anymore and his partner works in the school in BJD. McSweeney moved away from Kerry and was working in area a couple years ago so wanted to play ball again. There two Kiernans with Castlerahan now and one with Mountnugent. Fell out with Ballinacree.

Ennis not living near his club anymore and his partner works in the school in BJD. McSweeney moved away from Kerry and was working in area a couple years ago so wanted to play ball again. There two Kiernans with Castlerahan now and one with Mountnugent. Fell out with Ballinacree.

So are any of these lads actually living in the area now?

So are any of these lads actually living in the area now?

McSweeney in Dublin. Not a clue where Kiernans live. Ennis is near Oldcastle I think.

McSweeney in Dublin. Not a clue where Kiernans live. Ennis is near Oldcastle I think.

So Castlerahan are leaving lads like the O’Connells and Fergal Flanagan on the bench, who have played with them through their entire careers and represented Cavan, on the bench to field these lads who have no links whatsoever?

So Castlerahan are leaving lads like the O’Connells and Fergal Flanagan on the bench, who have played with them through their entire careers and represented Cavan, on the bench to field these lads who have no links whatsoever?

The O Connels started the last day. The Kiernans have links. Cousins played for club for years.

• Advertisement

I just hope the ref doesnt ruin what could be an exceptional final. Duneen is down to do it, and any time Ive seen him, he has been way too fond of the whistle for soft frees

Strange giving a Ballinagh man the job with a Ballinagh man over one of the teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

I just hope the ref doesnt ruin what could be an exceptional final. Duneen is down to do it, and any time Ive seen him, he has been way too fond of the whistle for soft frees

Strange giving a Ballinagh man the job with a Ballinagh man over one of the teams.

Being from Ballinagh is the least of his issues.

The O Connels started the last day. The Kiernans have links. Cousins played for club for years.

You’re clutching at straws if that is a link. I meant a proper link to playing with the club.

Castlerahan had 33 players last Sunday. There’s hardly a need to bring in these lads for numbers. McSweeney or Ennis didn’t stand out as exceptional players either.

I thought that crap of bringing in outsiders like the Gaels did with Lyng and Forde years ago had ended but it appears it is rearing it’s head again.

I actually heard some Ballyduff men in the stand at the first game talking about a good forward like Oisin allowing a Meath man to come in and take his spot and now I know what they meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rrs

Ramor had 3 new additions this year. Niall Murphy from Mayo,Darren McGlauglin from Leitrim and Shane McInerney former Meath captain.
    2 of them were guards. Coming from west of Ireland Virginia is a good commute to working in places like Dublin.

rrs wrote: »
    Ramor had 3 new additions this year. Niall Murphy from Mayo,Darren McGlauglin from Leitrim and Shane McInerney former Meath captain.
    2 of them were guards. Coming from west of Ireland Virginia is a good commute to working in places like Dublin.

McInerney was there last year.

You’re clutching at straws if that is a link. I meant a proper link to playing with the club.

Castlerahan had 33 players last Sunday. There’s hardly a need to bring in these lads for numbers. McSweeney or Ennis didn’t stand out as exceptional players either.

I thought that crap of bringing in outsiders like the Gaels did with Lyng and Forde years ago had ended but it appears it is rearing it’s head again.

I actually heard some Ballyduff men in the stand at the first game talking about a good forward like Oisin allowing a Meath man to come in and take his spot and now I know what they meant.

The Meath man doesn't play in Oisin's position so doubt that happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Jaysus lads can we let them win it before we start the begrudgery !!!

The Meath man doesn't play in Oisin's position so doubt that happened.

He’s in the forwards and Oisin is in the forwards. Not all supporters get into the semantics of where exactly players play.

He’s in the forwards and Oisin is in the forwards. Not all supporters get into the semantics of where exactly players play.

Well Oisin was a sub last year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Well done to Castlerahan on reaching the promised land 2-11 to C'lough 1-13. One if the better games played in a final. If the loch had won,Rahan Cudnt have any complaints either,magic 5 min that yielded 2-1 was the difference

Well done to Castlerahan on reaching the promised land 2-11 to C'lough 1-13. One if the better games played in a final. If the loch had won,Rahan Cudnt have any complaints either,magic 5 min that yielded 2-1 was the difference

It takes two teams to make a good final and Crosserlough definitely played their part.

Congratulations to Castlerahan. They showed nerves of steel today to come back from six points down.

Hopefully they enjoy the celebrations but regroup because with the squad they have they should be able to make a decent stab at Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

Fair play to Castlerahan, no one could begrudge Mackey and Flanagan their medal at last.
    I thought Crosserlough played the better football for most of the game, was very impressed with how they moved the ball up the pitch. A bit of naievity and lack of experience after they scored their goal really cost them.
    As for Ulster i cant see Castlerahan doing much there.

tanko wrote: »
    Fair play to Castlerahan, no one could begrudge Mackey and Flanagan their medal at last.
    I thought Crosserlough played the better football for most of the game, was very impressed with how they moved the ball up the pitch. A bit of naievity and lack of experience after they scored their goal really cost them.
    As for Ulster i cant see Castlerahan doing much there.

Why so negative about their Ulster chances?

They are a team with two of the most consistent Cavan players of the last decade, backed up by plenty of younger talent.

I know they have the Derry champions but they are also a team with very little Ulster experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Cavan_King wrote:
    Why so negative about their Ulster chances?

Cavan_King wrote:
    They are a team with two of the most consistent Cavan players of the last decade, backed up by plenty of younger talent.

Cavan_King wrote:
    I know they have the Derry champions but they are also a team with very little Ulster experience.

He's not alone,33/1 in bookies 8/8,150 for AI:)

Great win for Mullahoran today who did it the hard way after letting in a last minute goal which meant there was extra time.

Best of luck to Castlerahan tomorrow.

Disappointing stuff from Castlerahan yesterday. I realize they had a lot of steam to let off but 8/9 days on the beer is a bit much when they had an Ulster Quarter Final on the horizon.

Interesting to see Keoghan is jumping ship with Martin Corry gone too. Be interesting to see who ends up in the driving seat now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lump It In

This is complete nonsense, i wouldn't read into everything the media says. They were back training on the Friday night after the final. Home based players were back in the Gym on the Wednesday before that so you cant blame celebrations for the loss. I actually thought Castlerahan were every bit of a match for Coleraine, not a bit of luck went their way however with loosing key players and the sending off.

Lump It In wrote: »
    This is complete nonsense, i wouldn't read into everything the media says. They were back training on the Friday night after the final. Home based players were back in the Gym on the Wednesday before that so you cant blame celebrations for the loss. I actually thought Castlerahan were every bit of a match for Coleraine, not a bit of luck went their way however with loosing key players and the sending off.

Its obvious that the players had no interest in the Ulster club game. In the celt today Donal Keoghan said "i suppose i was disappointed maybe that we werent back training last weekend on Friday and Sunday"
    As for players being in the gym on the wednesday after the match i never knew theres a gym in the boars head in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lump It In

If you look at the facts you will see that both teams were in the Boars Head on the Tuesday night. No interest in Ulster Game??, it didn't look like that to anyone who was in Kingscourt. Were you even at the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Lump It In wrote: »
    If you look at the facts you will see that both teams were in the Boars Head on the Tuesday night. No interest in Ulster Game??, it didn't look like that to anyone who was in Kingscourt. Were you even at the game.

Both teams, and Keogan. A few lads went on holidays. Keogan would still have had enough lads to train over the w/e but he chose not to. Effort wasnt lacking, everything went wrong....2 county players injured, and a ridiculous red card. Most club sides couldnt cope with that

Both teams, and Keogan. A few lads went on holidays. Keogan would still have had enough lads to train over the w/e but he chose not to. Effort wasnt lacking, everything went wrong....2 county players injured, and a ridiculous red card. Most club sides couldnt cope with that

One player went on holidays and changed his flight. They went to Boars Tuesday. Home based players trained Wednesday. Trained again Friday then and that was most players.

• Advertisement

One player went on holidays and changed his flight. They went to Boars Tuesday. Home based players trained Wednesday. Trained again Friday then and that was most players.

Their manager Keoghan is the one who gave an interview saying celebrations went on to long and he would have liked to get back training before last weekend. So is that lies as another poster asked above?

Their manager Keoghan is the one who gave an interview saying celebrations went on to long and he would have liked to get back training before last weekend. So is that lies as another poster asked above?

Maybe he went too mad on the celebrations.

Fair play to Mullahoran. They’re doing it the hard way but tremendous achievement to reach an Ulster Final.

Word is also positive from the Cavan Camp. Graham has allegedly called in up to 80 players for trials and the vast majority have accepted the invitation which is good to hear.

He even has some long term absentees like Jack Brady in which is great to see.

They were training on Sat & Sun mornings......from what I can see, the numbers are in or around 30.......only ones not in yet are any Mullahoran lads......Castlerahan lads, well those that are fit, are back already

A few Crosserlough lads that were asked in, not interested .

Paul Graham in, obviously his connection with Mickey helped, as he turned a few offers before. Good player.

Any word on Fergal Flanagan or David Givney?

Givney based in London so unlikely. Flangan finished his Masters so would be available. Though there is better backs in Club football. Cooney from Castlerahan and Paul Smith. O Connell from Ramor.

I think O Connell from Ramor was asked in, and didnt commit

I think O Connell from Ramor was asked in, and didnt commit

That's correct. Smith and Cooney also asked in but didn't go in.

• Advertisement

The change of manager hasn't steadied the ship of players declining..

Who is in from Crahan?

rrs wrote: »
    The change of manager hasn't steadied the ship of players declining..

Who is in from Crahan?

Mackey, Oisin Kiernan training between treatment, Enda Flanagan and Fergal still injured so not sure. David Wright not called.

That's correct. Smith and Cooney also asked in but didn't go in.

To be fair, Paul Smith is a guard in Letterkenny so very hard for him to be able to commit. As for Cooney, he was in a year or 2 ago and was let go so maybe he felt he wasnt good enough?

To be fair, Paul Smith is a guard in Letterkenny so very hard for him to be able to commit. As for Cooney, he was in a year or 2 ago and was let go so maybe he felt he wasnt good enough?

Paul is in Blayney now. Cooney quit the last time because he didn't get a chance really.

Paul is in Blayney now. Cooney quit the last time because he didn't get a chance really.

Didnt realise that....either way, a tough job to be able to manage along with intercounty commitments

Any from Killenkere in? Fitzsimmons and Fay Cooper would be the obvious ones

The panel probably released soon enough anyway. McKenna Cup starts end of Month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

McKenna cup games in Kingscourt?? Only says Cavan venue at present.

The first game against Down is probably in Kingscourt. Played Down a few years ago there. They would be coming from that direction.

The seniors were training last Wednesday evening at the training pitch at Breffni at 8. They had a team meeting before after McKenna Cup fixtures were out.

A number of players were being tried (I hear 45 to 50) but the rumour I also heard was that the panel will be cut to 32 before McKenna Cup.

A few players who wouldn’t play for the previous manager are back. Some asked still aren’t interested but it’s a big commitment for any lad.

Mickey’s stock will be on the up after today. Cavan County Board did well to get him when they did!

quidel wrote: »
    McKenna cup games in Kingscourt?? Only says Cavan venue at present.

1 game is going to be in Breffni I was told. Probably the second one which is against one of the colleges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,199 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The seniors were training last Wednesday evening at the training pitch at Breffni at 8. They had a team meeting before after McKenna Cup fixtures were out.

A number of players were being tried (I hear 45 to 50) but the rumour I also heard was that the panel will be cut to 32 before McKenna Cup.

A few players who wouldn’t play for the previous manager are back. Some asked Ŵstill aren’t interested but it’s a big commitment for any lad.

Mickey’s stock will be on the up after today. Cavan County Board did well to get him when they did!
    Is Mickey still with Mullinalaghta?

• Advertisement
Advertisement