Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tracksuits, when did so many teenagers just stop bothering with individuality?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Back in my day we had proper clothes. For instance LA Gear runners with three different coloured laces in each runner and Joe Bloggs jeans that had blue denim in the front and black denim at the back. The black denim was about half as thick as the blue denim, so the back of your legs would be colder than the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

You had the Cure heads etc and clothes make a statement about the persons sense of style and individuality, or lack of it

Won't be going for the Robert smith look anyhow.

Simon Gallup, if any of em that classic greaser look is understated and low maintenance. And regular enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I dont get the hate for skinny jeans? :P

There grand on most people IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

Those tracksuits arent cheap. Maybe thats what they think looks good and youre being judgemental

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Yet another thread criticizing the current generation. :rolleyes:

Perhaps they like purchasing and wearing clothing they feel comfortable in? Or should they simply go out and instead buy other pieces of clothing to be an "individual."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Yeah the thing is the tracksuit thing seems to carry through into adulthood. It's as though once people put one on they just don't bother with decent clothes anymore. I'm amazed at how angry so many people are about their beloved tracksuits being criticised. Honestly folks people who choose to wear nothing but tracksuits are really just look a tad lazy and slovenly.

What do you mean it "seems" to carry through into adulthood? :confused: Have you grown up with a group of people who wore them as adolescents and grew up to wear 'em as an adult?

Speak for yourself on decent clothes, by the way. Nobody is bothered about you criticizing tracksuits FFS, they're getting angry with the hundredth thread complaining about either how scummy, ugly, pathetic, stupid or horrible the current day teenagers are.

People who make assumptions about others and their personalities (you calling tracksuit-wearers "lazy and slovenly" :rolleyes:) based on the clothes they wear are so petty and condescending. How about disadvantaged people who cannot afford stand-out clothes and can only wear what they're given, yet still find the time to succeed in whatever they're doing, be it sporting or academic.

But no, you're right. They're just lazy, slovenly conformists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

This thread is baffling. Teenagers wear tracksuits because they are comfortable and simple pieces of clothing. Often cheap, and easy to take care of.

You can try to derive some big judgement on society about individuality and personalities from that and twist into a 'we were better in my day' but you sound ridiculous and boring by doing that.

And to those who go on about how they make no effort or it's lazy, do you expect everyone to dress to please you? On one hand you criticize teenagers for caring too much about satisfying peoples judgements and so dressing the same, then you argue that they should dress in a way that satisfies your judgement.

Don't even own any thick grey tracksuit bottoms (Have only 2 navy O'Neills pairs that i got for playing for my county) and am not too fond of the look myself, but the attitude of people judging here is even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

My tracksuits do promote my individuality, from the personal apliqued statements across my ass.

"Juicy"
    "Angel"
    "Horny"

There's one for every occasion.

Velurebabe4lyf

Oh , I can just see you now , a vision in pink or orange and with that fresh ,wholesome, pregnant at 16 look.

Who thought Northside ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Don't mock tracksuits. Them, combined with tucking them into your socks, makes my job easier.

Anway, i think your time would be better spent giving out about the knobs with Beats by Dre headphones on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Oh look, another 'it was better in my day' thread.

Start thinking, really thinking about what you wrote, OP. You're just regurgitating the same bile that middle aged people have been spouting for 4000 years.
    Indeedly. I'd have thought tracksuits were even more popular in the '80s tbh, along with sweatbands and armbands and leg-warmers.
    The '80s was the leisure-wear decade, especially with sport and dance actually being kinda fashionable.

One item that never seems to go out of fashion is a pair of rose-tinted specs.

I see no more people wearing tracksuits now than I saw in 2007. Or 2002. Or 1997.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I'm sorry but you are mistaken. As a teenager neither I nor any of my peer group wore tracksuits.

Today 80% of kids between 6 and 20 are either in school uniform or tracksuits. Mostly grey with white runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Forget tracksuits why is everyone dressing in eighties fashions again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

This thread is baffling. Teenagers wear tracksuits because they are comfortable and simple pieces of clothing. Often cheap, and easy to take care of.

You can try to derive some big judgement on society about individuality and personalities from that and twist into a 'we were better in my day' but you sound ridiculous and boring by doing that.

And to those who go on about how they make no effort or it's lazy, do you expect everyone to dress to please you? On one hand you criticize teenagers for caring too much about satisfying peoples judgements and so dressing the same, then you argue that they should dress in a way that satisfies your judgement.

Don't even own any thick grey tracksuit bottoms (Have only 2 navy O'Neills pairs that i got for playing for my county) and am not too fond of the look myself, but the attitude of people judging here is even worse.

and the people judging the people.

Lets forget about teenagers. Ireland is the only place I've been where adults wear tracksuits into restaurants or the city or a movie - as opposed to walking the dog, or running - and where jeans is considered high class and not for every day wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Every generation of teenagers look the same.

Especially the ones that go around whinging about 'individuality' all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭miggins

Still, better than the shellsuits teenagers wore when I was a kid.

*shudder*

Shellsuits were fcuking awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Since coming back from England in 2007 I've noticed that so many teenagers just seem to live in tracksuits. Tbh I find it slovenly but more than anything it seems odd that so many teens have stopped bothering about their appearance. I'm not talking about spending a fortune on clothes but when I was in secondary school in the 80's guys and girls made an effort.

You had the Cure heads etc and clothes make a statement about the persons sense of style and individuality, or lack of it. All a tracksuit and trainers says to me is that they have little sense of individuality or style and are basically just lazy. I think it's a sad state of affairs that the tracksuit has become a unisex uniform for the scumbag/skanger and teens from every financial background in between.

The thing is that the parents of these teens are from my own generation who did bother to make an effort so I'm confused as to why so many of their offspring seem to have given up on making any kind of effort. When and why did this sheeple thing begin:confused:

Perhaps they feel comfortable in them? or perhaps even like them? , I'm sure people used to say grungers, hippies, punks etc had no individuality about them too,they didn't imho they all looked like sheep in their hoards of black, also I hate this ''Skanger/Scumbag'' mentality, just because someone wears a tracksuit hardly makes them a ''skanger'' , Years ago I had friends that would of referred to themselves as rockers, and anybody that walked by them wearing a tracksuit was immediately scum or a skanger in their eyes, yet these were the very people to get extremely offended when referred to as goths!, It goes two ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

It's a practical work uniform. It's easier to run away from the law in a tracksuit and the hoody is designed to pulled over your head to hide your identity.
    The branded footwear also aid their rapid escape from flat-footed Gardaí.

blah yet these were the very people to get extremely offended when referred to as goths!, It goes two ways.

Arent you adept at keeping the staus quo :o sure isnt that the serious minority that the UK police took it upon themselves to issue protection for in england because the daft cnuts, tbh want to kill em off entirely........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

mattjack wrote: »
    Oh , I can just see you now , a vision in pink or orange and with that fresh ,wholesome, pregnant at 16 look.

Who thought Northside ?

With me huups n me chewin gum I'm a classy chungwan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Indeedly. I'd have thought tracksuits were even more popular in the '80s tbh, along with sweatbands and armbands and leg-warmers.
    The '80s was the leisure-wear decade, especially with sport and dance actually being kinda fashionable.

One item that never seems to go out of fashion is a pair of rose-tinted specs.

I see no more people wearing tracksuits now than I saw in 2007. Or 2002. Or 1997.

Having grown up in the 80s (but not in Ireland, so my experiences might differ), yes there were tracksuits around. Lots of them. Worn by people engaged in sporting activities and exercise.

I cannot honestly recall anybody wearing a tracksuit just to go to the shops until I came to Ireland in the early 2000s, truth be told. That was one of my first impression - wow, what an active and sporty population! *lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Tracksuit bottoms or bootcut jeans, nothing else exists outside these two irish male staples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I usually wear tracksuits if I'm not in work or if I'm not going to dinner/the pub. It's my general everyday wear to be honest. Personally I don't give a f*ck what people think about them. If you're the type of person that notices someone wearing a tracksuit in Tescos or whatever then you're a bit of a clown in all probability. Is there any particular reason why I should be wearing slacks/jackets/shirts etc when I go out to do the shopping or to take a stroll?

Someone above is moaning about wearing tracksuits to the cinema, since when was watching bloody World War Z in Mahon Point or wherever an occasion for smart/casual dress? The only reason people are b*tching about tracksuits is because they're associated with working class people in urban Ireland. It's just another snobbish whinge to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If you dress like a skanger, expect to be treated like a skanger!

Anyone notice its mostly men who are wearing the tracksuits rather than women? I've often seen a lovely girl dressed superbly hanging out with a fella in a dirty scummy tracksuit, he is lazy and makes no effort to look good.

You can get cheap non-tracksuit clothes in Penneys, doesn't take much effort FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

gurramok wrote: »

Anyone notice its mostly men who are wearing the tracksuits rather than women? I've often seen a lovely girl dressed superbly hanging out with a fella in a dirty scummy tracksuit, he is lazy and makes no effort to look good.

You can get cheap non-tracksuit clothes in Penneys, doesn't take much effort FFS.

In fairness, I still have vivid and haunting memories of full-figured girls in pink tracksuit-bottoms with the word "Princess" stretched across their posteriors.

Mind you, they wore plenty of make-up and jewellery with it, so you can't say they didn't make an effort. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I saw a group of teenagers yesterday all dressed like each other in patterned/coloured skinny jeans, oversized sleeveless vests and big woolly hats.

Aside from the fact that they looked ridiculous, I was fascinated by how they all began wearing this. Did it start with one of them buying a pair of skinny jeans and the rest slowly following suit, or did they all go shopping together, see the woolly hats and decide to buy them as a group decision.

Again, what's it to you? If I'm at home, doing the shopping, going to the cinema or going to a buddy's gaff etc etc then why on earth should it be mandatory that I wear "Penney's non-tracksuit clothes" etc? Why does "effort" come into play when going to Morrisons for the weekly shop?

In fact I'd argue that many of those putting "effort" into their fashion-sense look far more bloody stupid than a fella wearing a Fila hoody after work. The likes of skinny jeans and other assorted hipster sh*te are far more irritating. Also, in the main Irish people and fashion are mutually exclusive concepts. I fail to see how boot-cut jeans, Timberland boots and Ben Sherman jumpers are somehow superior to a Bike hoody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Gosh diddly darn those young people who do little but pump quarters into Wurlitzer Jukeboxes. You can spot these ne'er-do-well young'uns by their flashy leather jackets and shiny buckles on their shoes and belts. They have little interest in the Communist menace and instead prefer to quaff cream sodas in the diner and yap about the latest rock n' roll records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

vitani wrote: »
    I saw a group of teenagers yesterday all dressed like each other in patterned/coloured skinny jeans, oversized sleeveless vests and big woolly hats.

Aside from the fact that they looked ridiculous, I was fascinated by how they all began wearing this. Did it start with one of them buying a pair of skinny jeans and the rest slowly following suit, or did they all go shopping together, see the woolly hats and decide to buy them as a group decision.

I blame that insurance company One Direction.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Again, what's it to you? If I'm at home, doing the shopping, going to the cinema or going to a buddy's gaff etc etc then why on earth should it be mandatory that I wear "Penney's non-tracksuit clothes" etc? Why does "effort" come into play when going to Morrisons for the weekly shop?

In fact I'd argue that many of those putting "effort" into their fashion-sense look far more bloody stupid than a fella wearing a Fila hoody after work. The likes of skinny jeans and other assorted hipster sh*te are far more irritating. Also, in the main Irish people and fashion are mutually exclusive concepts. I fail to see how boot-cut jeans, Timberland boots and Ben Sherman jumpers are somehow superior to a Bike hoody.

Skangers wear them and skangers are not intelligent(no individuality) and are anti-social. Why would you want to look like a skanger?

• Advertisement

Skangers wear them and skangers are not intelligent(no individuality) and are anti-social. Why would you want to look like a skanger?

Skanger? I'm from a council estate and the vast majority of people I know from there are decent and hardworking people, shock horror; and many of them also wear tracksuits at times. Personally I wouldn't go around referring to any and all working class people as "skangers" but then I'm not a bloody snob either.

Most people I saw in UCC wore tracksuits as well only they were usually Canterbury rugby and Abercrombie ones, although they were mostly middle-class types so I doubt you'd be calling them "skangers". In short, don't be so judgmental or make silly assumptions over what other people wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

I'm a teenager and when my school has colours day, the majority of us aren't wearing tracksuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭puddinboxxx

im 25 and all i wear is tracksuits,,they are comfortable and thats why i wear them,,the only time i wear jeans is if im goin out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

In your area Skangers wear them,
    I have three teens who at times wear tracksuits and I am insulted at you grouping them like this. All teens no matter what they wear are believe it or not human and have a tough time trying to find what route to take in life without being labelled by people like you because they wear a certain item of clothing.
    So what they wear trackies what harm is it. I know for a fact they would not label people, like you and the like are doing and in my book that makes my teens and I have to say a lot of their friends a lot better no matter what clothing they have on.

For the record they are all individual and can make decisions on their own, wearing a certain item of clothing does not hinder this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I see hipster teens, skateboard teens, surf teens, track suit teens, hollister teens, rugby teens, emo teens, goth teens all over the country. I'm pretty sure there's lots more I wouldn't know about, but I wouldn't be as naive to think they don't exist.

Maybe you just don't get out much, or your eyes are blinkered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Nothing more classly on judging someone on what they wear.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Skanger? I'm from a council estate and the vast majority of people I know from there are decent and hardworking people, shock horror; and many of them also wear tracksuits at times. Personally I wouldn't go around referring to any and all working class people as "skangers" but then I'm not a bloody snob either.

Most people I saw in UCC wore tracksuits as well only they were usually Canterbury rugby and Abercrombie ones, although they were mostly middle-class types so I doubt you'd be calling them "skangers". In short, don't be so judgmental or make silly assumptions over what other people wear.

I too am from a council estate and raised in one of the toughest addresses in Dublin where most here would never venture into. Most of my peers never wore tracksuits outside of sports. back when i was young. They made an effort to take care of themselves and look good when not paying sports.

Its just incredible as to why people of any class would want to look like skangers. Does it not bother you that skangers dress the same as you, do you not feel you want to distinguish yourself from them? Have some individuality? Baffling! :confused:

I too am from a council estate and raised in one of the toughest addresses in Dublin where most here would never venture into. Most of my peers never wore tracksuits outside of sports. back when i was young. They made an effort to take care of themselves and look good when not paying sports.

Well I'm from a similar estate and most young lads I knew would wear sportswear, as would most young people from that place nowadays. If you would term any youngfella in a tracksuit as a "skanger" then you're simply adopting a prejudice, regardless of where you're from. As for looking good? If I'm on a day off and doing the shopping or going to the cinema what defines "looking good"? Primark boot-cuts and a check-shirt?
    Its just incredible as to why people of any class would want to look like skangers. Does it not bother you that skangers dress the same as you, do you not feel you want to distinguish yourself from them? Have some individuality? Baffling! :confused:

Individuality? How is wearing plain jeans/shirt/jumper like a load of others some massive statement of individuality? Nearly everyone in Ireland dresses the same anyway, especially men who look almost identical. As for "skangers", I don't give a f*ck what other people wear for the most part, not in any serious sense anyway. Neither am I ignorant enough to label anyone in sportswear as a layabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Its just incredible as to why people of any class would want to look like skangers. Does it not bother you that skangers dress the same as you, do you not feel you want to distinguish yourself from them? Have some individuality? Baffling

Baffling to me that you associate anyone who wears a trackie as a skanger. That is your opinion but don't tar all with same brush it's incredibly ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

caustic 1 wrote: »
    Baffling to me that you associate anyone who wears a trackie as a skanger. That is your opinion but don't tar all with same brush it's incredibly ignorant.

And sadly, boards is awash with that kind of ignorant attitude towards people who don't operate in the same social circles. People and their perceptions. Who needs it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

If you want to see a lack of individuality among the Irish male look no further than the polo shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Kids these days and their parachute pants!
    Fúck everyone else, it made me laugh.

i remember i saw a few emo kids huddled, waiting for the bus and they looked like miserly shivering ducklings with cars like pihranas snapping, as they passed and it was so uneasy to watch.

I think instinctively nobody wants the heat of the public, we'd sooner the law and the middle ground is in not looking too conspicuous to either. Like that painter decorator, out for a pint look. Simple yet exhuberant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭club goldgrain

my son wears track suits most times, maybe just the bottoms,
    he lives in them, he is an athlete so it make sense and before anyone says dumb ass he also is studying fainanial mathematics, he is very much an individual so i believe clothes are for comfort, dress up when you going out dress down if not.
    not wear PJ out, that gets me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Every generation of teenagers look the same.

No they don't, I live on the continent and teenagers here wear normal teenager ****e.

I go back to Ireland and its tracksuits... tracksuits as far as the eye can see

• Advertisement

Jonny7 wrote: »
    No they don't, I live on the continent and teenagers here wear normal teenager ****e.

would our sh1t weather play a part in what they wear??
    you get up it rainning ,,ah tracksuit
    you get up it cloudy,,, ah tracksuit
    you get up it might be sunny ,, ah tracksuit

has anyone seen the price of tracksuits now,
    i think it would be alot cheaper for teens to go casual,
    i think back in "the day" tracksuit, runners/sneakers/trainers whatever
    carried a cheap,what did you call them "skanner" parsona
    but not anymore.

now put one on and go on a jog, this "boards" is making us lazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

ooonlyyyyy meeeeeeeee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Jonny7 wrote: »

Would every teenager wearing tracksuits not make tracksuits the norm, and so 'normal teenager ****e'?

Or by 'normal teenager ****e do' you mean 'what i want teenagers to wear'?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

I don't think tracksuits look particularly good style-wise, but it wouldn't really bother me seeing anyone, irrespective of social background, wearing them.

What I would object to is the notion that they were always fashionable for teenagers. I remember for a while in the early 1990s those awful shell suits were fairly prevalent - I owned one even. However, later on in the decade, when I properly hit the teenage years, wearing a tracksuit outside of sporting activities was a total no-no, as it was associated with having no taste and being a little juvenile.

Jeans were far more widespread then than now when it comes to what people wore on their bottom halves, as in pretty much anyone who was anyone chose them. Now at least you have a few choices: tracksuit bottoms, chinos, jeans, khakis, cords, even leather sometimes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement