Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG, Lab other support Stag Hunting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    As im sure you are aware that document you are quoting is 3weeks shy of 5yrs old.

And what's your point

It is still on their active website as their number one policy point on Blood Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Vegeta wrote: »
    According to you

No according to John Gormley, i quoted him for you earlier.

And according to the new programme for goverment, i.e. what the goverment intends to do for the duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

How do you know it's a minority?
    RISE got 60,000 signatures on paper with anothe 40,000 on email. thats a lot of voters.

sounds like a minority to me...

And what's your point

It is still on their active website as their number one policy point on Blood Sports

My point is that, they said this before they were in goverment. So this has changed since they came into goverment to fall in line with fianna fails policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Fox hunting will not be banned, you are scare mongering.
    So why should one form of hunting be partially banned and not another?

• Advertisement

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    So why should one form of hunting be partially banned and not another?

I don't know. All i can do is speak for myself, i am more than happy to hunt with a gun. As i feel a swift death is more likely to follow also the animal will not be under any stress, i am however against a pack of dogs chasing a stag around for a couple of hours.

The likely hood here is of more injury and stress for the animal.

I don't know. All i can do is speak for myself, i am more than happy to hunt with a gun. As i feel a swift death is more likely to follow also the animal will not be under any stress, i am however against a pack of dogs chasing a stag around for a couple of hours.

The likely hood here is of more injury and stress for the animal.
    Well half the fun is galloping through the fields on the horse...

So its ok to kill the animal as long as you shoot it?

Well half the fun is galloping through the fields on the horse...

In my opinion i do not have a problem with experienced hunters shooting vermin.

If half the fun is jumping around fields on horses, why dont they just have the hounds follow a pre-laid scent trail?

In my opinion i do not have a problem with experienced hunters shooting vermin.

If half the fun is jumping around fields on horses, why dont they just have the hounds follow a pre-laid scent trail?
    Well I have never been on a hunt myself, but I have done quite a bit of cross country. A dragline is much more predictable, same with a pre laid trail. Much more hassle too I imagine, also if it is towed behind a land rover, how do you cross ditches etc?

Well I have never been on a hunt myself, but I have done quite a bit of cross country. A dragline is much more predictable, same with a pre laid trail. Much more hassle too I imagine, also if it is towed behind a land rover, how do you cross ditches etc?

You have someone go out before hand and lay down the scent. That way you can make it as unpredictable as you like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I often wonder if people realise how all the chicken fillets & steaks get into the plastic trays at the supermarket.

You may be a vegetarian and if so, well done for being consistent in your beliefs, but this attitude is often trotted out by people who are happy to eat meat every day.

You have someone go out before hand and lay down the scent. That way you can make it as unpredictable as you like.
    But then it is like going fishing and not catching anything, and without any chance of catching anything.

taconnol wrote: »
    I often wonder if people realise how all the chicken fillets & steaks get into the plastic trays at the supermarket.

You may be a vegetarian and if so, well done for being consistent in your beliefs, but this attitude is often trotted out by people who are happy to eat meat every day.

He was only trying to annoy me.

But then it is like going fishing and not catching anything, and without any chance of catching anything.

Seems like a normal day fishing for me.

you're not fishing...

taconnol wrote: »

I am not against hunting at all. I just find it hypocritical when people maintain that one form of hunting is wrong, yet it is ok to blast them with a gun.

you're not fishing...
    Whats the difference? The fish gets a hook through its lip, is dragged out of the water to a place it cannot breath, it suffers greatly and gets extremely stressed before it dies or is released.
    Often the stag is hunted, suffers great stress and sometimes injury before it is captured and returned to its enclosure etc...

So just because it is a fish it is ok?

Whats the difference? The fish gets a hook through its lip, is dragged out of the water to a place it cannot breath, it suffers greatly and gets extremely stressed before it dies or is released.
    Often the stag is hunted, suffers great stress and sometimes injury before it is captured and returned to its enclosure etc...

So just because it is a fish it is ok?

first of all, you can eat the fish, not so with the stag. fish can be caught for food.

and I thought the point of the hunt was to get enjoyment out of riding the horse through the countryside? from what you're saying, if the stag isn't involved, there's little point in the hunt.

ridiculous comparisons are ridiculous :rolleyes:

first of all, you can eat the fish, not so with the stag. fish can be caught for food.

and I thought the point of the hunt was to get enjoyment out of riding the horse through the countryside? from what you're saying, if the stag isn't involved, there's little point in the hunt.

ridiculous comparisons are ridiculous :rolleyes:

Someone has obviously never experienced the culinary delight of venison :rolleyes:

sounds like a minority to me...

Well then people who are anti blood sport are in an even smaller minority by your logic

• Advertisement

No according to John Gormley, i quoted him for you earlier.

And according to the new programme for goverment, i.e. what the goverment intends to do for the duration.

And programmes for government are never revised or updated

So if the Greens say they are going to do A, B and C and actually do A, B and C. What do they do then?

Common sense would dictate they review their programme

Someone has obviously never experienced the culinary delight of venison :rolleyes:
    :confused: you said yourself that the deer goes back to an enclosure...
    Well then people who are anti blood sport are in an even smaller minority by your logic

i have no idea how many people are against it. that's not the point. claiming that this is a practice backed by a most rural people and then throwing up a measly 100,000 names is untrue and only serves to skew public perception of deer hunting

Often the fish goes back in the water... so that is ok then?

And programmes for government are never revised or updated

So if the Greens say they are going to do A, B and C and actually do A, B and C. What do they do then?

Common sense would dictate they review their programme

They did revise it, just before Nama. This programme brings them up to the next general election. I don't understand your second two points can you clear them up for me please?

Often the fish goes back in the water... so that is ok then?

where did I say that?

You didn't, I was asking a question.

I don't think people should make exceptions for different types of hunting or whatever, it is hypocritical. Ban them all or ban nothing.

They did revise it, just before Nama. This programme brings them up to the next general election. I don't understand your second two points can you clear them up for me please?

They have just achieved one of their policy items in their programme for government from the Animal Welfare Section

When they make their next programme it is logical to assume that it will be replaced with another item from their Animal Welfare Policy.

Would you agree? Or do you think it more likely they will just ignore hunting forever more.

The argument has been made that this is the thin end of the wedge.
    The Green party have denied this.
    If it is not the thin end of the wedge it implies the Green Party will never try to ban another form of hunting.
    This is in direct conflict with their Animal Welfare Policy

i have no idea how many people are against it. that's not the point. claiming that this is a practice backed by a most rural people and then throwing up a measly 100,000 names is untrue and only serves to skew public perception of deer hunting

No one has made that claim though.

I just re-read page 3 and 4 (40 posts per page) and I cant see anyone say that.

Numbers were quoted but no one claimed to represent most rural people.

Deer hunting is very different from carted stag hunting. There is no ban on shooting deer.

You didn't, I was asking a question.
    very well. if the fish is let go, it still suffers injures for nothing more than the enjoyment of the fisher. ethically, it's wrong. if the fish is killed and eaten, at least it's put to use and there is a point to it.[/QUOTE]
    I don't think people should make exceptions for different types of hunting or whatever, it is hypocritical. Ban them all or ban nothing.
    i agree

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I am not against hunting at all. I just find it hypocritical when people maintain that one form of hunting is wrong, yet it is ok to blast them with a gun.

There are different types of hunting with greater or lesser degrees of cruelty involved. Hunting live animals with dogs for fun is particularly cruel due to the lack of necessity. The banning of coursing and fox hunting as sports were not political possibilities and so the Greens went for the one that they could get through.

Advertisement