Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8th Amendment

1333435363739»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

You'd think Irish doctors are ignorant of their own pregnancy-terminating actions when they perform abortions, the way you go on about intention to kill.

Very few terminations, you say, but you appeared to expect none to have happened. Your whole argument (if it can be called that) hinged on that.

In no particular order...

EDIT: Removed a few "how many women have committed suicide" questions, because I don't think Black Menorca would understand the point...

As I said, the one worrying aspect is those 3 terminations because of the suicide threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

There will be far more women than men at the rally on Saturday. Go figure. :)

Any of them of childbearing age? (lovely picture in the article I linked to)

Call me selfish, but as a woman of childbearing age, I'll be protecting myself by not going.

As I said, the one worrying aspect is those 3 terminations because of the suicide threat.

What about the other 23? Was your argument... er... how do I put this... irrelevant? Are you now ok with the 23 abortions? (medical terminations, if you want to call them that) Are you still proud that Ireland doesn't carry out abortions?

Any of them of childbearing age? (lovely picture in the article I linked to)

Call me selfish, but as a woman of childbearing age, I'll be protecting myself by not going.

What a strange, ageist question. Anyway, happy to clarify for you....:

rally-main.jpg

10475731_10152567637602363_3160235958627936704_n-1.jpg

1373149651-prolife-rally-held-in-dublin_2229818.jpg

Pro-Life-Rally.jpg

1373141075-7th-all-ireland-rally-for-life-celebrated-in-dublin_2229473.jpg

belfast_5.jpg

What about the other 23? Was your argument... er... how do I put this... irrelevant? Are you now ok with the 23 abortions? (medical terminations, if you want to call them that) Are you still proud that Ireland doesn't carry out abortions?

Of course. The intention was to protect the mother. Which I have supported since the start of this thread. Really, you should know this by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

What does "protect them" mean? Will women suddenly be forced into a Marie Stopes clinic (I hear the CEO makes 500k a year!!!!!) against their will? What about protecting the 26 unborn affected by abortion last year, why was the woman's life paramount in those cases?

lazygal wrote: »
    What does "protect them" mean? Will women suddenly be forced into a Marie Stopes clinic (I hear the CEO makes 500k a year!!!!!) against their will? What about protecting the 26 unborn affected by abortion last year, why was the woman's life paramount in those cases?

We have deemed it so via X Case legislation passed by our political representatives last year. Tragic as those 26 lost lives are.

We have deemed it so via X Case legislation passed by our political representatives last year. Tragic as those 26 lost lives are.

So you're ok with the direct targeting of 26 unborn lives. What about the ones directly targeted when women travel abroad for abortions?

What a strange, ageist question. Anyway, happy to clarify for you....:
    [pics]

Not ageist. It's true that only women of childbearing age, the women who should have autonomy over their own bodies (which we don't in Ireland, at present) are the only ones who can actually get pregnant. Anyone else can well have an opinion, but it's unsavoury at best to be told what a woman (of childbearing age) can do to her own body, as if she were a child. Not that I expect you to understand.

Fair enough, you've got pictures. I pointed out a picture too, of elderly people in one of those marches. I see that not all the pictures show such a capable-of-pregnancy population: http://www.demotix.com/news/2227705/7th-all-ireland-rally-life-marched-through-dublin#media-2229128
    Of course. The intention was to protect the mother. Which I have supported since the start of this thread. Really, you should know this by now.

You're very insulting to Irish doctors. Do you honestly believe that the doctors didn't know that they were killing the foetuses? What I know is that a medical termination (colloquially called an abortion*) is the killing of a foetus. Whether to save the life of the woman or not, the foetus is still killed. The doctors performing such terminations knew this. You might not like it, but intention doesn't change the fact. 26 women in Ireland were saved by doctors who killed their foetuses. And, get this... before the law was changed, even that wasn't legal. You appear to like that fact too.

*Hey, in Spanish even miscarriages are abortions!

So you're ok with the direct targeting of 26 unborn lives. What about the ones directly targeted when women travel abroad for abortions?

Would you like me to quote Minister Varadker?

Mr Varadkar said: “Abortion is illegal in Ireland except where there is a threat to the life of the mother. In these circumstances, it is a matter for the patient and her doctors.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news/health-minister-confirms-26-abortions-5970477

I, for one, am brimming with pride of our achievement, despite the abortion lobby throwing the kitchen sink at us. we still stand firm and maintain the criminality of their nefarious acts.

• Advertisement

Would you like me to quote Minister Varadker?

Mr Varadkar said: “Abortion is illegal in Ireland except where there is a threat to the life of the mother. In these circumstances, it is a matter for the patient and her doctors.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news/health-minister-confirms-26-abortions-5970477

I, for one, am brimming with pride of our achievement, despite the abortion lobby throwing the kitchen sink at us. we still stand firm and maintain the criminality of their nefarious acts.
    Directly targeting26 unborn lives is a source of pride and achievement for you?

Fair enough, you've got pictures.

Happy to clarify that for you. :)

Directly targeting26 unborn lives is a source of pride and achievement for you?

I stand by the Constitution and X Case legislation, with pride.

With the caveat of grave concern over suicide threats used as justification for a termination.

I stand by the Constitution and X Case legislation, with pride.

With the caveat of grave concern over suicide threats used as justification for a termination.

So only 23 abortions are a source of pride and achievement for you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

We're a victim of our own success. The event is so big we need more volunteers every year.

You're more than welcome to join us. :)

Can you tell us how the figures announced by the Minister will be discussed at this event - will be they mentioned factually, or spun into a sound bite about Ireland having a "liberal" relationship with abortion?

Can you tell us how the figures announced by the Minister will be discussed at this event - will be they mentioned factually, or spun into a sound bite about Ireland having a "liberal" relationship with abortion?

Come along and find out for yourself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Chances are there's a few hundred more considering the activities of WomenOnWeb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Hahahahaha "pro choice" "pro woman" on the same banner. Thats hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

The one thing this Rally For What Has The Potential To Be Life will achieve is boosting our tourist numbers. With the Euro so weak against the dollar there will be plenty from the US in attendance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Leave the modding stuff to the mods and admins, thanks.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

In all others, it is a matter between the patient and Ryanair.

During my break from Boards, I attended the Rally for Life in Dublin.

It was a wonderful event with people of all ages celebrating life both born and unborn.

There were a few people restrained by Gardai who were particularly intimidating from the pro abortion side at Clery's but all in all it was a great day.

A big thank you goes to Youth Defence and the Pro-LifeCampaign for combining resources to make the day so enjoyable for all who participated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

A wonderful day was had by all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

A wonderful day was had by all. :)
    Yes.
    All 5 - 8000.

• Advertisement

Kev W wrote: »
    Yes.
    All 5 - 8000.

I was too busy enjoying myself to do a headcount. :)

The rappers were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

I was too busy enjoying myself to do a headcount. :)

The rappers were fantastic.

Its alright, it got taken care of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No election or referendum on this.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement