Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam account Hacked

Options
  • 23-04-2011 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Alright lads my friends steam acoount was hack recently - VAC banned , just wondering is there anything he can do , anything at all cause he's tried a bunch of things to try and get it back, but still no success. I just feel bad cause the chap has over 50+ games on steam and now he's fecked.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Has he contacted Valve? What did they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Get him to contact valve if he hasn't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Supercron

Yea he has contract value afew times but they wont have it, is there anything he could show them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

If he's Vacbanned then he's just banned from playing on vacprotected servers.
    Not much consolation but he can at least still play even vacprotected games on private servers.
    Oh, and they don't rescind them, pretty much ever.
    All VAC bans are permanent - Valve has a zero-tolerance policy for cheating and will not lift VAC bans under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,854 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you would have to pretty much show he was hacked, then started cheating. Other than that he's SOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Overheal wrote: »
    you would have to pretty much show he was hacked, then started cheating. Other than that he's SOL.

Even at that it won't work, as far as I'm aware they stick with their policy of non reversal. VAC bans are only done on a game by game basis though (although I think it pretty much covers all the source engine games in one fell swoop). Sadly the only thing he can do would be to rebuy the games and be careful where he puts his password in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

This just reminded me to turn on the new steam guard feature.
    Im at a point where id rather have my credit card stolen rather than my steam account :pac:

edit: huh, must be out of beta, already implemented

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Meirleach

Supercron wrote: »
    Alright lads my friends steam acoount was hack recently - VAC banned , just wondering is there anything he can do , anything at all cause he's tried a bunch of things to try and get it back, but still no success. I just feel bad cause the chap has over 50+ games on steam and now he's fecked.

He's not completely fecked, VAC bans are by game engine, so you can get VAC banned on TF2 and still play BF:BC2(or even l4d since it's a different source engine) for instance, unless of course the hacker played every online game he had and got caught with a VAC on each of them.

He'll probably catch a lot of abuse playing on an account that shows a VAC ban though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

People use the word 'hacked' a lot.

password123 is not a good password.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Zillah wrote: »
    People use the word 'hacked' a lot.

password123 is not a good password.

I know two people who had their steam account hacked. Both had secure 10 digit passwords, were only used on one machine, no keylogger since they never typed them in(remember me) and were behind NAT and software firewall.

Big money in getting Steam accounts and WOW accounts, even after phishing attempts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Krieg wrote: »
    Im at a point where id rather have my credit card stolen rather than my steam account :pac:

I am in the same boat.

I have 150 games on Steam and i would be gutted if i got Vac banned or the account used for nefarious purposes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

You all have steam guard set up right? Gabe Newell is so confident that it is secure that he announced his password to the world: it's MooleyFTW.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/84464/gabe-newell-gives-away-his-steam-password-to-entire-world/

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gaw_

You all have steam guard set up right? Gabe Newell is so confident that it is secure that he announced his password to the world: it's MooleyFTW.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/84464/gabe-newell-gives-away-his-steam-password-to-entire-world/
    Yes, this makes it hard to believe that the OP's 'friends' account was hacked at all, it's set-up automatically and it means that nobody can get into your account without access to your email address too.

So either OP's 'friend' is.. well not the smartest and has gotten keylogged etc - or something isn't adding up here.

Also Valve don't reverse vac bans at all, (as said before) so I think your friend may be out of luck on this one as they really won't unban people unless it was their (valve's) fault :/

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Gaw_ wrote: »
    Yes, this makes it hard to believe that the OP's 'friends' account was hacked at all, it's set-up automatically and it means that nobody can get into your account without access to your email address too.

So either OP's 'friend' is.. well not the smartest and has gotten keylogged etc - or something isn't adding up here.

Also Valve don't reverse vac bans at all, (as said before) so I think your friend may be out of luck on this one as they really won't unban people unless it was their (valve's) fault :/

I opted into steam guard a few months ago, but I guess it's mandatory now? I actually find it to be seriously trigger happy, I have 9 emails over about 5 weeks from Steam Guard asking me to verify my credentials when signing in. Every few days it thinks I'm signing in on a new computer, which I'm not. So while it's irritating, I feel that if it's this paranoid about me legitimately trying to access my account, it should definitely catch someone trying to hack it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Had my account hacked a few years back. Only found out when I tried to sign in after a 6 month absence. Luckily I was able to show them that it was my account from an original disc that I had added to my account.

OP: get your mate to contact SteamPowered to get the account back. As for VAC bans, meh. When my account was hacked, the person got VAC banned. It only effects some of my games, as not a lot of servers are VAC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Advertisement