Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

UNLOCKING Qs? - *Only* post in this thread.

1186187188189190192»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Davy wrote: »
    I presume you have the phone awhile and have spent over €120 with them. Then you simply have to log in to 'My Vodafone' online and you should see your 'NAC' code which will unlock your phone.

Otherwise it will cost you to unlock it using other methods.

Cheers

Turns out it is O2... does that make a difference? Its still locked, it is a bill phone and the owner (the auld lad) now has a Blackberry with the same number?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Cheers

Turns out it is O2... does that make a difference? Its still locked, it is a bill phone and the owner (the auld lad) now has a Blackberry with the same number?

No, doesn't make a difference. He will have to ring o2 for you to get it, o2 dont do the codes online like vodafone. It wont cost anything to get it unlocked though.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Hey guys, I'm going to NZ on wednesday and I have a 3 mobile but 3 dont have a roaming agreement with NZ so my phone wont work. I do, however, have a 3 sony ericsson K530i prepay that I would need to unlock so I could bring it with me and get an NZ sim when I get there. . . Any suggestions/recommendations as to how I can unlock? Thanx a mill! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kathor

kathor wrote: »
    ahh, that means I need to contact you to do it for me then.

Best regards,
    -=KaTHoR=-
    Worked like a charm. Thanks a mil Columba Rad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Does anyone know if there are unlock codes for the Samsung MiCoach (F110) or the INQ1 (from Three)?

Looked online and found nothing but ads for paid-for "solutions".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

flogen wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are unlock codes for the Samsung MiCoach (F110) or the INQ1 (from Three)?

Looked online and found nothing but ads for paid-for "solutions".

;)
    Mobile Phone Unlocking F.A.Q (BETA)

Q: What is phone unlocking?

A: Phone unlocking is the process of removing the lock placed on your phone by your network provider (O2, Vodafone, 3 etc). This can be done by unlock codes or by cable, software & an unlocking box or with an X-Sim, Rebel Sim, Turbo Sim, Universal Sim etc.

=====================
    =====================

Q: How do I tell if a phone is locked?

A: Put a sim card from another network in your phone, if you get the following message, your phone is locked;
    • Sony Ericsson phones say Insert correct sim card.
    • Nokia Symbian S60 phones say Invalid Sim.
    • Nokia S40 phones say Enter Restriction code.
    • Motorola phones say Enter subsidy code.
    • iPhones will say Invalid Sim.
    • Phones on the 3 network will often say Insert USIM.
    • Other phones like NEC & Alcatel will ask you for a NCK code.
    If you're having a problem and the phone doesn't give that message, the problem isn't the phone being locked.

=====================
    =====================

Q: Why is my phone locked?

A: Networks place this lock on your phone because they've subsidised the price of the phone, for example you could buy a phone sim free (not tied to a network) for say €350, but you could buy it for €250 on a particular network. But this cheaper price comes with its down sides, for example you won't be able to use another network sim card in the phone & the phone most likely will be branded with their network software.

=====================
    =====================

Q: How can I unlock my phone?

A: There are many ways to unlock your phone;
    1. The simplest way is to call the network the phone is locked too and ask them for the unlocking code, for them to give you the unlock code you must have an account with them, and usually you must also have spent €120+ on the account since you got the phone. The best thing is to ring them, as they have given unlock codes to customers for a lot less, it all really depends on the network. And the 3 network have an extra fee of about €27, to cover administration fees.
    2. Phone unlocking shops, there are many of them in Ireland. They charge a variety of prices depending on the make & model of the phone that needs to be unlocked. It's usually cheaper to get a phone unlocked in a phone unlocking shop than paying €120+ to get your unlock code from the network. Phone unlocking shops use a variety of unlocking equipment to unlock phones including unlocking boxes, these connect to a PC and from the box a cable connects to your phone, like this. These unlocking boxes range from €200 up-wards, so it's not really economic to purchase one just to unlock one or two phones. The cost of unlocking a phone in an unlocking shop depends on the phone and the shop of course.
    3. X-Sim, Rebel Sim, Turbo Sim, Universal Sim etc. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_SIM & http://www.universal-sim.org/.
    4. For iPhone unlocking, please visit the Apple Media Devices forum.
    =====================

=====================

Q: Can I unlock my phone myself?

A: It depends on the make and model of your phone. It's a lot more difficult nowadays to get free unlocking codes, these days you can usually only get the unlock code from the network themselves. There are online sites who offer unlocking codes at a price, but be very wary of these, most of them will not be able to provide you with your unlock code at all and may not offer you a refund. Phone unlocking shops are usually the cheapest & fasted option.

Here is a list of sites you may find useful;
    • GsmEvolution.com: Free Nokia Unlock Code Generator - WorldUnlock v4.4 : Warning, this Free Nokia code generator is for old Nokia phones, ie phones 3/4 years old. You only get 3 chances to input the correct code, if you use up the 3 chances you may need to send it back to the manufacturer or a phone unlocking shop will be able to sort it for you.
    • DaVinci Team : Sony Ericsson Unlocking - http://davinciteam.eu/index.html
    • MotoUnlockNow.com : Motorola Unlocking Codes - http://www.motounlocknow.com/imeiunlock.htm
    • Mobile phone unlocking shops, (Google search in Ireland).
    • More will be added
    =====================

=====================

Q: Once a phone is unlocked, can it be locked again?

A: Yes, it is possible. If you've unlocked your phone via an unlock code, keep this unlocking code written down somewhere safe as you may need it again. Your phone can re-lock if you start messing with it, ie flashing it with firmware/software, if you happen to re-lock your phone the original unlock code should save you. If you got your phone unlocked in a phone unlocking shop, you should ask them if your particular phone could re-lock and what not to do to re-lock it. Also ask them to make a back-up of the unlock file they have done, this will save you paying the full price again if you re-lock the phone, but a lot of unlocking shops will not offer this or even know they can do this, the back-up mostly concerns Nokia BB5+ phones.

=====================
    =====================

Q: I want to buy a phone that's on X network in Y country, will it work here in Ireland on the Z network?

A: 99% of the time no, every network in every country has its own lock, ie a Vodafone Ireland sim will not work in a Vodafone UK phone. The phone would need to be unlocked for the Vodafone Ireland sim card to work in the Vodafone UK phone.

=====================
    =====================

Q: I have some NAC codes left to use from Vodafone Ireland - will I be able to use them to unlock a phone from a different network?

A: You can only use your Vodafone Ireland NAC codes to unlock Vodafone Ireland phones, and usually you'd have to spend €120+ on the account first.

More to come.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Looking for a bit of help unlokcing a HTC TyTN2 on Three, IMEI 35575 70160 10791

Also wondering if after I unlock the phone, I do a reset or a restore is that likely to lock the handset again.

Also what would happen if I downloaded the latest version of windows mobile and install that onto it? would that relock the unit?

Cheers
    Gillo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

This thread has been replaced by the new Unlocking thread which includes FAQ which will be updated on a regular basis.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055537227

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement