Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands Mediterranean Migrant Crisis Response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

They do though. And they are refusing to believe they are refugees.

Prove that one person is a economic migrant over a genuine refugee. Can you do that?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    like most, im deeply saddened to watch all this unfold but we need to come up with some sort of plan that will have a better chance of working for us all. this situation has the potential to financially break many countries in europe including our own. practically, i really dont think we can house many of these people if any at all. ive no idea what the solution is, but we better get thinking fast. i can see this as potential euro collapser if its not dealt with correctly.

Conspiracy theory but ISIS comes to mind :-o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Prove that one person is a economic migrant over a genuine refugee. Can you do that?
    As someone says on another discussion (from both sides) in the European Union forum of this topic which is apparently "censored" ;) the two aren't always mutually exclusive.

I would view the people who are desperate enough to travel in a truck, in dangerous conditions, who are having to live in filth and misery... as likely to be genuine. I don't know what's unreasonable about this conclusion.

As someone says on another discussion (from both sides) in the European Union forum of this topic which is apparently "censored" ;) the two aren't always mutually exclusive.

I would view the people who are desperate enough to travel in a truck, in dangerous conditions, who are having to live in filth and misery... as likely to be genuine. I don't know what's unreasonable about this conclusion.

So that's how we filter them out so. Wait for the truck. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Let's be honest al Qaeda and isis must not know there luck with how easy it Will be to send fighters into Europe.

Isis have said they already sent 4000 disguised as refugees.

This part I do have a problem with.

I'd say they cannot believe their luck re how naive & stupid Europeans are and how easy it will be to attack. Merkel and company are apes of the highest degree. The whole situation is extremely badly handled.

• Advertisement

100% correct, RTE are pro open borders as are most of the media in this country.
    On Liveline last week only 1 person was allowed on that went against this viewpoint, they did not dare do a phone poll to see the what the people thought.
    Then on Primetime we had all 3 guests pro mass immigration, no balance at all.

Anything the EU want RTE is with them. If the EU wanted to kill every first born child of every family in this country, RTE & our Government would agree with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

So that's how we filter them out so. Wait for the truck. :-(
    But there are border-checks, immigration control interviews.
    Not everyone who is advocating reaching out to the people genuinely in dire straits is automatically in favour of open borders - it seems to be seen as though people can only be one way or the other.
    In the same way that not all who have concerns about who is let into the country are racist/xenophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

But there are border-checks, immigration control interviews.
    Not everyone who is advocating reaching out to the people genuinely in dire straits is automatically in favour of open borders - it seems to be seen as though people can only be one way or the other.
    In the same way that not all who have concerns about who is let into the country are racist/xenophobic.

I'm not so sure about the border-checks and immigration controls. How could the Hungarian officials have conducted any on those who broke down fences and streamed across their border last week? Honest question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Anything the EU want RTE is with them. If the EU wanted to kill every first born child of every family in this country, RTE & our Government would agree with them.

As I have said Sinn Fein have always been pro immigration. They want open borders.

The only party who oppose this are that anti immigration crowd but they have been attacked by groups already at their conferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I'm curious as to why these migrants aren't moving SOUTH, towards their religious center point, kind of like the jews following WW2 who wanted to move towards Jerusalem, why aren't the migrants moving towards Makkah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,848 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

smurfjed wrote: »
    I'm curious as to why these migrants aren't moving SOUTH, towards their religious center point, kind of like the jews following WW2 who wanted to move towards Jerusalem, why aren't the migrants moving towards Makkah?

theyre heading to the promised land

theyre heading to the promised land

Financial or religious? I'm guessing the former.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

JustTheOne wrote:
    As I have said Sinn Fein have always been pro immigration. They want open borders.

WTF has anything here got to do with Sinn Fein?

The only party who oppose this are that anti immigration crowd but they have been attacked by groups already at their conferences.

If this situation is not handled right definite consequences down the road for Europe. This is taken very lightly and the bleeding hearts are crying out the loudest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

ComfortKid wrote: »
    WTF has anything here got to do with Sinn Fein?

Because their the biggest advocate and their popularity is rising quickly.

Could be in power next year so they have a lot to do with how this situation could be handled over next few years.

JustTheOne wrote:

JustTheOne wrote:
    Could be in power next year so they have a lot to do with how this situation could be handled over next few years.

I still don't see how it's in any way relevant to this thread? I don't know if you are a Sinn Fein supporter or hater, but they have absolutely nothing to do with this thread. As you said, All the major partys are for this bar one.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

Sinn Fein have made an extreme tactical error with their stance on immigration. Their core target demographic is the one which has the most to lose if we see a large scale migration into Ireland as they are the one who will be competing for housing, jobs, welfare, education and healthcare with the migrants.
    The voters who Sinn Fein are trying to woo with this open door policy, wouldn't touch them with a shiity stick and never will.
    they have guaranteed that they will form no part of the next government with this move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The Craziness is continuing this evening in the Med with the LE Niamh picking up 317 Men,11 Women and 1 child.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0905/725874-le-niamh/

This is utter lunacy.A laughing stock.Collecting economic migrants.

Europe needs to do a leaflet drop on Libya telling everyone the joke is over.

I sympathise fully with the Syrians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

johnty56 wrote: »
    Sinn Fein have made an extreme tactical error with their stance on immigration. Their core target demographic is the one which has the most to lose if we see a large scale migration into Ireland as they are the one who will be competing for housing, jobs, welfare, education and healthcare with the migrants.
    The voters who Sinn Fein are trying to woo with this open door policy, wouldn't touch them with a shiity stick and never will.
    they have guaranteed that they will form no part of the next government with this move.
    I would agree but the same demographic are probably most likely to double up a couple of their kids in a bedroom to make room for someone in genuine need while others in larger houses will pledge well but like many political pledges they don't do so well when it is time to pay the piper.

Germany has stated that it will accept 800,000 refugees this year, thats 1% of their population, In Ireland, that would equate to about 45,000 people. Based on our present financial situation, is this number sustainable, how could we finance the required support structure?

Leaving distance, culture, religion etc out of the question, can we as a country actually afford that sort of influx?

• Advertisement

smurfjed wrote:
    Germany has stated that it will accept 800,000 refugees this year, thats 1% of their population, In Ireland, that would equate to about 45,000 people. Based on our present financial situation, is this number sustainable, how could we finance the required support structure?

Why should we make decisions based on what Germany does? We are in a completely different situation to them.

Leaving distance, culture, religion etc out of the question, can we as a country actually afford that sort of influx?
    Financially I imagine it would be a serious stretch even if we were set up to immediately house and cater for those numbers but as we would have to build or renovate buildings for refugees as well as providing services such as for cooking and health services etc the cost would be prohibitive. Even back in the early 90s Cherry Orchard nurses home was gutted back to the bare internal walls and completely redecorated, rewired and re-plumbed including disposal of the original sinks and toilet bowls which were perfect but were "hospital" issue which at the time raised a lot of controversy as it was deemed plenty good enough for nurses to be accommodated in and to have to pay for their rooms. Talk of using nama housing stock or ghost estates etc is a non runner because of the complications in buying and sorting out planning for the houses as well as getting local communities on side and many of the areas would not be central enough for other services to be provided.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/hazel-hotel-in-kildare-to-be-first-refuge-for-500-syrians-1.2340878
    The Hazel Hotel in Monasterevin is being used as an orientation centre for the 520 program refugees that are coming to Ireland this year and after a few months there they will be placed in more permanent accommodation around the country but the Minister does not say where this will be or what type of accommodation it will be. but these "program" refugees will not be housed in direct provision so will most likely be placed in council or rental accommodation at a time of great shortage of such accommodation for Irish people.

Will national schools in areas these refugees are placed be given extra resource teachers to cater for the extra loading from teaching more children with no or little english?

The Med mission now needs to be stopped immediately.Europe is now going to have enough on its plate with the Syrians coming through Turkey.Enda needs to man up and say he is not going to put more pressure on mainland Europe collecting economic migrants as we have done this evening.

Off topic, sort of, but this is hilarious!

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Off topic, sort of, but this is hilarious!

Feck thats funny.Thats like something George W.Bush would come out with.

The Med mission now needs to be stopped immediately.Europe is now going to have enough on its plate with the Syrians coming through Turkey. Enda needs to man up and say he is not going to put more pressure on mainland Europe collecting economic migrants as we have done this evening.

Enda won't man up to anything. He is gutless. If Angela said bend over Enda would do so in a heartbeat.

Financially I imagine it would be a serious stretch even if we were set up to immediately house and cater for those numbers but as we would have to build or renovate buildings for refugees as well as providing services such as for cooking and health services etc the cost would be prohibitive.

Then what do we do next year?

I have quite a number of Syrian friends, i hate the situation that their families are existing under, but alas i don't see how an island of 4.5 million people can absorb a 1% ratio of immigrants per annum.

Plus I would also prefer if the IRC or similar got to select the refugees rather than accepting those who managed to pay for their passage to Europe.

Then what do we do next year?

I have quite a number of Syrian friends, i hate the situation that their families are existing under, but alas i don't see how an island of 4.5 million people can absorb a 1% ratio of immigrants per annum.

Plus I would also prefer if the IRC or similar got to select the refugees rather than accepting those who managed to pay for their passage to Europe.

The programme refugees are arriving in smaller groups between now and the end of next year so they will account for maybe 100 at a time in the Hazel Hotel which can then hold maybe another 300-400 of the new intake. there is no indication from our overlords in Dublin or Berlin if the new intake will even be required to go through the asylum process. either way we can expect 300-400 every 3 months to be taking up accommodation that could be used by needy and technically homeless Irish citizens.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The programme refugees are arriving in smaller groups between now and the end of next year so they will account for maybe 100 at a time in the Hazel Hotel which can then hold maybe another 300-400 of the new intake. there is no indication from our overlords in Dublin or Berlin if the new intake will even be required to go through the asylum process. either way we can expect 300-400 every 3 months to be taking up accommodation that could be used by needy and technically homeless Irish citizens.

Germany are giving Syrians automatic asylum.

• Advertisement

Germany are giving Syrians automatic asylum.
    Yes apparently if they chose to apply for asylum it will most likely be granted, I was talking about our own intake of new non program refugees(the 600/1200/180000.....), it has not been stated by anyone in power here if they will have to endure the asylum process and direct provision or if they are going to give them citizenship at the airport.

Advertisement