Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Walking Dead Episode Discussion - SPOILERS ABOUND!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That phone in the prison seems to have control over people. Merl seemed to be under it's spell too taking it with him and hiding it from Daryl.

I almost don't want to know if it's something that played out in the comics. I'm a bit worried it's going to have some spiritual influence and it'll turn into "this was all Gods plan".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

better not turn out like battlestar galactica did with so much of that in it :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

did merle not take the phone to use the wire to tie michone's hands?

did merle not take the phone to use the wire to tie michone's hands?
    I think he used bare wire for that, plus why would he hide the phone from Daryl? There was also the thing in the car when he let Michonne go, there was a bit of a moment of Merl talking to someone else and about things to come. Maybe he just meant the war with the governor but there was definitely something going on there. It got weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Really great Walking Dead video. Not sure how to describe it, a montage maybe?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r7QWSvLJNQo

It has clips from all the way up until this week's episode so don't watch if you're not completely up to date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

How long since poor Carol got some love ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

TheUsual wrote: »
    How long since poor Carol got some love ?

Too long, perhaps she can comfort Daryl....... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Does anybody else think that the Governor's eyepatch resembles an oreo?

Reckon he eats it after it gets eye-goo all over it too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

ScumLord wrote: »
    That phone in the prison seems to have control over people. Merl seemed to be under it's spell too taking it with him and hiding it from Daryl.

I almost don't want to know if it's something that played out in the comics. I'm a bit worried it's going to have some spiritual influence and it'll turn into "this was all Gods plan".

The phone represents guilt. In the comics, Rick talks to Lori on the phone because he feels guilty about her death. Merle having the phone was supposed to imply that he's feeling guilt over who he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I watched the last 4 episodes back to back. After what I thought was a bit of a lull after the mid season break, 12, 13, 14, 15 were AWESOME!

That was totally Milhouseton that burned the walkers. Had to be. Noone one else would have used their access to a jeep and fuel like that. Martinez would have, but he knows, and accepts, war is coming, and they're just collateral damage.

Damn it Merle, did you really have to go and get knifed by the Guv? Really? You could easily have taken him down. As I've called it before, Guv kills Merle, Darryl goes on a rampage of crossbow bolts and ass kicking.

Who is next? It's anybodies guess. As per comics
    Rick, Carl, Andrea, Tyresse make it out alive from the prison.
    I don't know if Herschell will die. Real world odds would put him at a disadvantage, but I think they need a sage old character.

I wonder is Alexandria next on the agenda, or will they string the Prison out for another season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I'm glad merle went out doing something good. shows he wasn't such a prick after all.

The phone represents guilt. In the comics, Rick talks to Lori on the phone because he feels guilty about her death. Merle having the phone was supposed to imply that he's feeling guilt over who he is.
    I see, it was just strange two people would pick the same object and it seemed to have relayed instructions to Merle. I thought it was pointing to some larger conspiracy. That something was trying to influence the course of play in a god/spirit way.

Who is next? It's anybodies guess. As per comics
    Rick, Carl, Andrea, Tyresse make it out alive from the prison.
    I don't know if Herschell will die. Real world odds would put him at a disadvantage, but I think they need a sage old character.

In the comics, Big Comic
    Tyreese doesn't make it out alive from the prison. The Guv hacks his head off with Michonne's sword

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

In the comics, Big Comic
    Tyreese doesn't make it out alive from the prison. The Guv hacks his head off with Michonne's sword
    I have a bad feeling he'll capture Daryl and do it to him in the tv show :(

daz801 wrote: »
    I have a bad feeling he'll capture Daryl and do it to him in the tv show :(

Won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

well that was a very interesting episode!!!!
    seems we havn't seen the end of the gov just yet! but the two guys who survived the "culling" surely won't stick with him seeing as he's completely nuts!

good news: andrea is dead! :D:D woo! poor milton.. he was actually an interesting character!
    27 dead.. bit of a shocker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Ahh ffs I was on edge with Andrea.
    Less talking and more get the pliers. Right, she's been a pain in the arse all this season, but sad to see her go. At least she went thinking she achieved something.

First time I can think of Michone showing some emotion.

Carl... wtf?

Martínez and the other guy should have manned up and do something with the governor, totally off the rails now.

Here, Carol held Dary's hand for way too long. Looking for some love? :D

Good episode, but the end.... not sure about it, felt like a let down. Now the wait... :(

that was awesome!

didn't think the governor would do what he did, thought for sure martinez would pop him for that.

cant wait for season 4 :)

Okay. I still thought the episode was disappointing but I want to debate something else.

Was Carl right to shoot the kid or not? A friend and I got in an argument over this.

I personally thought Carl was right to shoot him, Carl told him to drop the gun, but he didn't drop it and just slowly walked towards Carl with the gun almost facing Carl.
    He could have easily very quickly turned the gun slightly and killed one of them.
    I liked his speech to Rick too that if they don't deal with problems now, they'll come back to get them later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Seriously that was the worst finale season episode ever, im slightly annoyed it was a good episode but im gob smacked that this is what it lead up to major let down when it ended i was like what thats it ?

Was Carl right to shoot the kid or not? A friend and I got in an argument over this.

No. He was handing his gun over, albeit nervously. Carl just stone cold murdered him for no reason. Although, given the situation they were in, it would have meant someone had to keep an eye on the kid, endangering a one legged man and a baby - so overall, I wouldnt give him too much of a hard time over it.

No. He was handing his gun over, albeit nervously. Carl just stone cold murdered him for no reason. Although, given the situation they were in, it would have meant someone had to keep an eye on the kid, endangering a one legged man and a baby - so overall, I wouldnt give him too much of a hard time over it.

If somebody asks you to drop your gun you drop it. You don't slowly walk towards them with the barrel roughly in their direction.
    If he dropped it straight away Carl probably wouldn't have shot him, but he didn't.

Also, this is for you degrassinoel:
    9kOjOJc.gif

If somebody asks you to drop your gun you drop it. You don't slowly walk towards them with the barrel roughly in their direction.
    If he dropped it straight away Carl probably wouldn't have shot him, but he didn't.

He was just a kid, he was scared, dropping guns can cause them to go off etc.... The main point is, he was holding the gun out to hand it to Carl so he wasnt doing anything bad. But Carl shot him anyway. I think it shows that Carls psyche is disintegrating into that of a cold blooded killer. He showed no remorse afterwards either. He seems to be emotionally broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

Really wished they had kept more in line with the comic for the finale, it really would have made for a much better episode. Looks like the prison for the next season as well? Not impressed overall they're dragging the storylines out way to long. I was liking this season but the finale killed it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

THought it was a great episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Waaaay too much negativity over in the TWD Forum, at least here people are backing up their points with reasonable arguments! Haven't bothered posting over there, it'd only be torn to shreds, someone is giving out that Carl looks stupid with the Sheriff hat on ffs.

Yeah, it seems a bit underwhelming as a finale, but it was still a good episode. Sad to see Andrea gone, I know I'm in a small minority here but I hate to see people from the original group dying, even Andrea. It's no wonder Laurie Holden was so testy in interviews about the fans hating her, she knew what was coming!

A few things to look forward to in Season 4:

-I'm excited to see where the Gov will go from here! He doesn't seem as much of a threat without a whole town behind him now but on the other side of the coin, he is a desperate man, so who knows what he is capable of!

-How will the new survivors fit in with the group? Some new faces to freshen things up, let's hope there is another 'Daryl' so to speak, a character that the fans can really enjoy.

-A lot of people are hating the fact that another season will be spent in the prison. Not only is that búllshít as most fans couldn't wait to get to the prison this time last year, but really they've done nothing cool with it bar the episode where T-Dog and Lori died. Will they fortify it? Really lock it down and we might see how well it will stand up to a full on assault or maybe even under siege from a herd of walkers!

-Ricks madness appears to be over. I think we could all agree that's a good thing, but now he has a whole new dynamic between himself and Carl to deal with. That will be interesting.

-Tyreese will have more room to develop and become the central character we all know he can be.

-We might get to see more standalone episodes like the Rick/Carl/Michonne one rather than one long narrative next season as there won't be the constant contrast of Woodbury and the Prison. There may be more road trips and scavenging missions to keep things fresh.

I really don't know what's going to happen next season, but I think that's a good thing. I really thought I had the finale figured out and I was wrong about everything bar Andrea dying, I had a feeling she'd go, but I'm actually glad I hadn't got it all figured out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Loves the first half. Rest was just muck to drag out the rest of it.

Surprised with Governor completely losing it. Disappointed that he's still alive, I thought of Martinez would have had some balls and kill him. I can see him coming back in S4 probably.

I was really hoping they would abandon the prison. Seems as all the boring stuff happens there. It was much more exciting when they were on the road. They should have at least had the boring bit in the start and the action for the end.

I'm general disappointed with the whole S3. Might rewatch it when the blue ray copy comes out, but for now pretty ****.

Too much talking. Not enough zombie killing. Seems as whole S4 was about killing each other rather than actually killing zombies.

Hello? Title of the Series? The walking dead or did they change it to the walking governor and I miss it?

deadly picture of the cast for season 4

twds4.jpg

edit: resized

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Loves the first half. Rest was just muck to drag out the rest of it.

Surprised with Governor completely losing it. Disappointed that he's still alive, I thought of Martinez would have had some balls and kill him. I can see him coming back in S4 probably.

I was really hoping they would abandon the prison. Seems as all the boring stuff happens there. It was much more exciting when they were on the road. They should have at least had the boring bit in the start and the action for the end.

I'm general disappointed with the whole S3. Might rewatch it when the blue ray copy comes out, but for now pretty ****.

Too much talking. Not enough zombie killing. Seems as whole S4 was about killing each other rather than actually killing zombies.

Hello? Title of the Series? The walking dead or did they change it to the walking governor and I miss it?

The Walking Dead refers to the survivors, not the zombies. All remaining humans are infected, so technically they are 'dead men walking'...

we-are-the-walking-dead.jpg

Jason Todd wrote: »
    -I'm excited to see where the Gov will go from here! He doesn't seem as much of a threat without a whole town behind him now but on the other side of the coin, he is a desperate man, so who knows what he is capable of!

I think most people have seen enough of him. I personally have. Do people really want another 16 episodes of them after the Governor?
    Its not like they'll do a few episodes more of the Governor and then go onto another arc they'll use the same arc for another 16 episodes.
    -We might get to see more standalone episodes like the Rick/Carl/Michonne one rather than one long narrative next season as there won't be the constant contrast of Woodbury and the Prison. There may be more road trips and scavenging missions to keep things fresh.
    Hopefully. It'll more than likely be a lot of filler episodes because they won't be able to drag the Governor arc out for another 16 episodes, they already had trouble doing it this season without filler episodes.
    -A lot of people are hating the fact that another season will be spent in the prison. Not only is that búllshít as most fans couldn't wait to get to the prison this time last year, but really they've done nothing cool with it bar the episode where T-Dog and Lori died. Will they fortify it? Really lock it down and we might see how well it will stand up to a full on assault or maybe even under siege from a herd of walkers!
    Key word in this is last year. After a full year people want something new.
    It will be boring to watch them farming and fortifying the prison.
    -Tyreese will have more room to develop and become the central character we all know he can be.
    Agreed.
    -Ricks madness appears to be over. I think we could all agree that's a good thing, but now he has a whole new dynamic between himself and Carl to deal with. That will be interesting.
    Its good and bad, it was interesting character development. Though I am more interested to see Carl's development.

I'm just disappointed they aren't following the comic arc. A full season on the road would be a lot better than another season in the

They've turned the Gov into a real comic book style villain now. He could strike at any time in any way.
    I couldn't believe the scenes with Andrea, see deserved to die. Stopping for a chat during your escape?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Why didnt they all move to woodbury, instead of going back to the prison?

Woodbury was fairly secure, they were are sleeping in nice houses, growing little gardens etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Personally, I thought the season finale was rubbish. No cliffhangers or anything. Can't say I will be looking for to the next season if I'm honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

deadly picture of the cast for season 4

twds4.jpg

edit: resized

Why is Andrea there?

I thought Carl was spot on. Drop the gun means drop the gun. It was a war.

Not crazy on the finale. Think I will forget about WD for a while and pick it up again when it's in mid season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Why is Andrea there?

Not crazy on the finale. Think I will forget about WD for a while and pick it up again when it's in mid season.

I think it's quite possible we'll see some element of Carl being overly trigger happy having a terrible consequence next season but then will redeem himself by doing the exact same thing but the outcome being better.

So, for example, he'll kill someone else who's innocent but then kill someone who totally deserved it with the same cold-bloodedness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Gbear wrote: »
    I think it's quite possible we'll see some element of Carl being overly trigger happy having a terrible consequence next season but then will redeem himself by doing the exact same thing but the outcome being better.

So, for example, he'll kill someone else who's innocent but then kill someone who totally deserved it with the same cold-bloodedness.

Agree, his redemption could possibly be killing the governor as he reigns down on Rick in S4? That'd tie in nicely with his retort to Rick on not killing baddies when you had the chance, i.e. the meeting between Rick and the gov in the barn a couple of episodes back. It's also pave the way for the story to move on, making Woodbury a safe alternative to the prison and/or a whole new story arch involving Carl as a protagonist in his own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

One thing I don't like is how at the beginning you had to be bitten to come back as a zombie but as the series went on, once you died you turned and in about a minute, whereas before it was hours. I know the scientist guy told Rick that everyone is infected but did he explain how?

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    One thing I don't like is how at the beginning you had to be bitten to come back as a zombie but as the series went on, once you died you turned and in about a minute, whereas before it was hours. I know the scientist guy told Rick that everyone is infected but did he explain how?

Its airborne. You always turned into a zombie upon death, we just never found out until the end of season 2.
    The amount of time for someone to turn varies, it could take minutes or hours.

The bites act as a catalyst to the virus, effectively killing the host and they become a zombie as they would have if they had died of natural causes.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. It was really bugging me.

Another thing that has niggled at me is that when Rick told Murrell about the deal he struck with the Govenor, I expected Murrell to realise that the Govenor had no intention of honouring that deal, seeing as how the Govenor totally stitched up both him and Daryl. I kept waiting for Murrell to pull Daryl aside and try to convince him that the whole thing was pointless as the Govenor would strike anyways and they should just abandon the group while they could. It would've been perfect as Daryl's final test to the group. The build up to the finale was brilliant but it was a bit of a let down. Even though Murrell redeemed himself by letting Michonne go, I can't accept that he would've been naive enough to believe in the first place that handing her over would've solved anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I found that odd too. At the end of one episode Rick said we are going to war, the start of the next show he was ready to hand your wan over to avoid a war.

The show has lost it's way a bit I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

It would have been so much better if we had just kept merle at the prison and none of that stuff with michonne happened and we had gotten andrea,milton,tyreese and sasha and maybe karen and her son back to the prison and then an epic war between the prison group nd woodbury happened. But instead we got the build up to the war then andrea and milton dying(needlessly mind you)and the governor killing just about every person in his army.
    WHAT A LETDOWN FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The show has really lost its way.
    Probably covered before, but I'll post it anyway.
    Remember when they got to the prison and they had to clear the area? They just walked up to the walkers and stabbed them in the face? Cleared the whole area. The shows directors seem to have forgotten that. Gunshots attract walkers, and Rick the big eijit is walking around with a large caliber unsilenced revolver! A stabbing weapon or melee weapon is the only weapon they should be using.
    Don't get me started with a crossbow. Takes about a minute to reload and you have to go and get the bolt after you fired it.

I found that odd too. At the end of one episode Rick said we are going to war, the start of the next show he was ready to hand your wan over to avoid a war.

The show has lost it's way a bit I fear.
    It seems like it has a touch of "Lost" about it. Loads of potential but the writers aren't being consistent and are in danger of losing the plot altogether. I'll still hold out for the next season and see how it goes from there.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    It would have been so much better if we had just kept merle at the prison and none of that stuff with michonne happened and we had gotten andrea,milton,tyreese and sasha and maybe karen and her son back to the prison and then an epic war between the prison group nd woodbury happened. But instead we got the build up to the war then andrea and milton dying(needlessly mind you)and the governor killing just about every person in his army.
    WHAT A LETDOWN FFS.
    Andrea could be an annoying character but she became likeable towards the end. I think her and Milton would have been an excellent addition to the prison group.

The bit where the governor killed all his people was a WTF? moment. For so long we have been anticipating a war and next thing the governor guns down all his own people???

As for taking all the people back to the prison, I don't see how that happened. They were happy there and had relatively normal lives, then they give that up on the say so of the prison people who they were lead to believe wanted to kill them? They had so much faith in their Governor that he almost symbolised their hope and to turn their back on that is a huge leap.

Would it not have made more sense for them to have stayed at Woodbury? I suppose we'll find out in the next season but I can only hope they tie up all the lose ends or they have ruined a really good show.

I thought the same. Carl was given the responsibility of protecting the weaker members of his group ie his baby sister, the crippled old doctor and the doctors young daughter. The guy was awful slow in lowering his gun and Carl didn't know if the guy was going to try and overpower him. He knew what would happen if the guy got the better of him.
    Gbear wrote: »

It will be interesting to see how the writers take the character of Carl from here. I hope they don't ruin him. He has gone from an annoying kid to a valuable member of the team. It's easy to say that he shot that kid in cold blood but he thought he was protecting his group.

This is the kid who went back and shot his dying mother in the head. The flash back he had when doing this was his father telling him "no more kid stuff......" He did what had to be done then but he also showed humanity when he risked his life so that his baby sister could have a picture of her mother. When he got back from that trip he told Rick that Michonne was a member of the group.

I really hope they don't make Carl into a cold blooded killer. He has the potential to be the best of both Rick and Shane. Someone who puts the best interests of the group first, without forgetting that they aren't a bunch of cavemen who have to treat anyone they meet as a threat and eliminate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭anucksunamun

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I thought the same. Carl was given the responsibility of protecting the weaker members of his group ie his baby sister, the crippled old doctor and the doctors young daughter. The guy was awful slow in lowering his gun and Carl didn't know if the guy was going to try and overpower him. He knew what would happen if the guy got the better of him.

It will be interesting to see how the writers take the character of Carl from here. I hope they don't ruin him. He has gone from an annoying kid to a valuable member of the team. It's easy to say that he shot that kid in cold blood but he thought he was protecting his group.

This is the kid who went back and shot his dying mother in the head. The flash back he had when doing this was his father telling him "no more kid stuff......" He did what had to be done then but he also showed humanity when he risked his life so that his baby sister could have a picture of her mother. When he got back from that trip he told Rick that Michonne was a member of the group.

I really hope they don't make Carl into a cold blooded killer. He has the potential to be the best of both Rick and Shane. Someone who puts the best interests of the group first, without forgetting that they aren't a bunch of cavemen who have to treat anyone they meet as a threat and eliminate them.

I know they do not stick to the comics.. but Carl's character is very dark in them. I agree with you, it would be nice to see him develop.

You know what I don't get at all about the last episode.. why on earth after Ricks refusal to let other people into their group, and also passing that hitcher.. Would he bring back all the people who the Governor thought incapable of fighting.. all new 'drains' on their meagre resources..

I know they do not stick to the comics.. but Carl's character is very dark in them. I agree with you, it would be nice to see him develop.

You know what I don't get at all about the last episode.. why on earth after Ricks refusal to let other people into their group, and also passing that hitcher.. Would he bring back all the people who the Governor thought incapable of fighting.. all new 'drains' on their meagre resources..
    Rick is all over the place. He was the one who was begging Hershel to keep them but shows no mercy to others. He keeps changing his mind and isn't a strong leader at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement