Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is walking any use?

Options
  • 21-11-2013 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi all,

I used to run a good bit and have put on about 10-14lbs over the past two months because I actually have no time to train. (full-time job and degree at night-time). I have started walking 5k every lunchtime but over the past 2 weeks this hasn't really made any difference to my weight. I would like to run more/weight train but there just isnt enough time in the day/week and I do when I can..which might be once/twice a week.

I know my walks cant do any harm but in reality are they going to help me shift some lbs?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Walking will burn calories.

The problem might be in the amount of calories you're taking on board.

What would a typical day's food intake be?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Greenduck wrote: »
    Hi all,

I used to run a good bit and have put on about 10-14lbs over the past two months because I actually have no time to train. (full-time job and degree at night-time).

It's not your lack of time to train, it's consuming more food than is necessary. Training of course helps bring that back in balance but you get more bang for buck by watching what you eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

I'm logging my food with MFP and coming in around 1200-1400 calories a day. Mostly fruit for breakfast with yogurt. Soup for lunch, maybe a banana as a snack and a regular dinner. Spaghetti, Meat and two veg. I do have a tendency to go for sugar late at night which I'm trying to control. Nothing that puts me into mega calories though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Combine your walking and a healthier diet and you'll see the pounds drop. Myfitnesspal app is great at tracking what you eat and you can log your walks. Also it shows the calorie content and fat and carbs for most foods.
    So funny that I'm giving you the exact advice I should be taking myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nignag75

I agree with what Greenduck has already said.
    But if you want to get the most caloric burn in the shortest time possible since you have a limited schedule HIIT. sprints is where its at.
    Jog slowly or even walk at a brisk pace and then go all out for 20 seconds.Make sure you are truly going all out for those 15-20 seconds.If you can go 30 seconds,its not a sprint and you are just fooling yourself.Then just jog slowly or walk until you feel your ready to go all out again.I would start off with trying 3-4 rounds of sprints but try working up to 10
    The first time you do this if you do it right you will feel like vomiting but you will get used to.I really cannot over emphasize how important it is that you truly go all out.Its hilarious the amount of people who i see doing "HIIT" and have 10 rounds of 30 seconds sprints.If you can do 30 seconds for more than one or two rounds,it isnt HIIT

edit:I meant to say agree with vegeta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 nignag75

Are you weighing everything you eat?It is very common for people to realise they are eating way more than they taught they were when they actually weigh everything rather than when they guess what a serving is.Also make sure your including things like oil that you cook it,it has calories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Greenduck wrote: »
    Hi all,

I used to run a good bit and have put on about 10-14lbs over the past two months because I actually have no time to train. (full-time job and degree at night-time). I have started walking 5k every lunchtime but over the past 2 weeks this hasn't really made any difference to my weight. I would like to run more/weight train but there just isnt enough time in the day/week and I do when I can..which might be once/twice a week.

I know my walks cant do any harm but in reality are they going to help me shift some lbs?

Thanks

How about run 5k at lunch time? I am working full time and doing a masters part time... I still make time for training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Also, like everyone else has said, losing weight is mostly to do with your diet. Eating sugar/carbs late at night...major no-no. Try eating 5 to 6 small meals a day. (healthy) Cut down on carbs if you are not doing much exercise. If you have to eat carbs, eat wholegrain, but not too late at night. If you are very hungry before bedtime, try eating some protein an hour before bed instead of sugary stuff. Eat a decent enough breakfast. Fruit and yogurt is not enough, maybe try porridge/weetabix with fruit and then a yogurt. Hope this helps, i know losing weight is tough but you just have to persevere.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I walk or cycle everywhere I can. I never really cycle/run just for exercise sake, I don't see the need and value my spare time.

Cycling to work saves me time, i.e. if I had a car or used public transport it would take me a lot longer due to traffic. So by doing this I am actually adding to my free/spare time, rather than taking from it. Far less stress too, as I go home happy, instead of raging at being stuck in a jam on a friday evening.

I would walk to the shops, pub everywhere I can, it all adds up, saves money too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

eating 1200-1400 calories a day and putting on nearly two pounds a week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Well obviously I wasn't eating 1200-1400 a month when I started gaining weight two months ago. I've been keeping an eye on what I eat for the last two weeks if you look at my original post.

Also to the person who said they were doing a masters and working full time, you really don't have any clue what my schedule is like so comparing it to yours really doesn't help me. I literally have no spare time and running at lunch is not an option, there is no shower facilities in my workplace.

Thanks to everyone else for their helpful responses :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

No need to do anything at break if you've started your 1200-1400 calorie diet. The will just melt off now. Let us now how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

No need to do anything at break if you've started your 1200-1400 calorie diet. The will just melt off now. Let us now how it goes

Will it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

lukesmom wrote: »
    Will it though?

Yes if some one is really only eating 1200-1400 and not just thinking they are (while actually consuming 2000).

Advertisement