Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preventing DOMS

Options
  • 16-02-2013 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone!

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for preventing this? I was at the gym last Wednesday, and I'm still really sore! Will be back in the gym on Monday and I'm hoping that it's not this bad next week.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Yup - don't train so hard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

...stay away from high rep sets, slowed or forced eccentrics, and split squats. Eat properly after training and to support your goals. Get 8+ hours of sleep per night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭chocolatechips

Thanks for the advice Hanley! I'll probably lower the reps on some of my sets, and definitely haven't been getting the right amount of sleep the past few days so I assume that contributed to it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Is Doms a good thing? Is that just a mental thing I have that if I'm sore the next day I've done a good workout? Or is it relevant to muscle growth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Consistent training prevents doms as your body gets better at flushing the waste material from the muscles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭meijin

This is quite detailed article about DOMS: http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Delayed_Onset_Muscle_Soreness (and links to 140 references :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

If your gym has one I'd suggest using a foam roller on sore areas(most commonly
    the legs for me.) Or you could pick one up yourself for very cheap.

It will hurt like hell the 1st few times, but has been a lifesaver for me in reducing DOMS.

But like others have said, first make sure your nutrition and recovery is adequate for your training style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Consistent training prevents doms as your body gets better at flushing the waste material from the muscles

It's cause by the damage to muscle fibres from the eccentric portion of the lift not 'waste material' or lactic acid. It's usually related to doing a new movement and lessens as you become used to that movement.
    Is Doms a good thing? Is that just a mental thing I have that if I'm sore the next day I've done a good workout? Or is it relevant to muscle growth?

A pet hate of mine is that DOMS is indicative of training progress. It's not. The only time I want DOMS is if I'm doing rehab so I know 'm using the muscle I'm trying to use. If you want to be sore there are way more fun ways to do it.

I don't think it's a good idea foam rolling DOMS either. It just hurts more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Scuba Ste wrote: »

It's cause by the damage to muscle fibres from the eccentric portion of the lift not 'waste material' or lactic acid. It's usually related to doing a new movement and lessens as you become used to that movement.

A pet hate of mine is that DOMS is indicative of training progress. It's not. The only time I want DOMS is if I'm doing rehab so I know 'm using the muscle I'm trying to use. If you want to be sore there are way more fun ways to do it.

I don't think it's a good idea foam rolling DOMS either. It just hurts more.

Sorry was under the impression it was inflamed proteins in the muscle and the repeated effect of exercise makes the muscle more adaptive at dealing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Stop taking such long gaps between sessions, more training less pain-ing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Dewespo14

Bull****, DOMS is perfectly normal. Generally you'll get them after a strenuous session that you haven't had in a while. Doms is an inflammatory response by your muscles as they try to adapt to the exercise your undertaking.
    If you've a protein shake it's important to take it straight after your workout! Also what I find helps.. I take my branch chain amino acids during my workout to speed up the recover process. Hope this is any use

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

Dewespo14 wrote: »
    Bull****, DOMS is perfectly normal. Generally you'll get them after a strenuous session that you haven't had in a while. Doms is an inflammatory response by your muscles as they try to adapt to the exercise your undertaking.
    If you've a protein shake it's important to take it straight after your workout! Also what I find helps.. I take my branch chain amino acids during my workout to speed up the recover process. Hope this is any use

too late, the OP died of doms 8 months ago.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

I am looking to pack a bit of muscle on and drop some weight, when I go to the gym I generally do split sets containing 3 sets with 10 - 12 reps/ exhaustion and I get doms quite bad, I have a protein shake in the changing room straight after.

Should I up the weights and reduce the reps to 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

A tablespoon of MTFU in with the protein shake and you'll be right as rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

A tablespoon of MTFU in with the protein shake and you'll be right as rain.

Cheers mate :rolleyes:

Advertisement