Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung smart tv Netflix app?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Doesn't sound great re the 6 series. Very disappointing as that was my goal buy this week, but the 7000 is way out of the budget.

Shame that now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 onlyray

scobay wrote: »
    Yeah you are right I will send them a email, also I cannot seem to find this model number on samsungs website ue40D6505 Im not sure if I have the most up to date firmware, checking it through tv it says I have the latest but I have seen posts that I may have to Dl it to usb key then update??

Hey scobay, same issue in relation to model number. I have a ue40D6500 but cannot find on samsung website. Nearest I canfind a 40D6510. I understand the only difference between 6500 and 6510 is cosmetic (silver surround vs back one etc). Not sure about the 6505. Ridiculous really all these variations. I'll let you know when Samsung reply to my mail.

yop wrote: »
    Doesn't sound great re the 6 series. Very disappointing as that was my goal buy this week, but the 7000 is way out of the budget.

Shame that now :(

Yeah, I agree. More so the fact that you see people with a C Series being told by Samsung they don't support it when originally Samsung claimed they did when launched. Are we going to be told the D series isn't suported in a year or two. My understanding was the buying a smart TV was future proofing!!
    Hopefully this issue is isolated to Netflix and I get an encouraging response from Samsung. Just makes me a little nervous when I hear them say they are prioritising the 7 series and above.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭moochie

onlyray wrote: »
    That#'s interesting as they originally claimed they did on the C Series.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/LN46C650L1FXZA

Thanks for the link. It does clearly show Netflix on that 6-series C model. I've replied to them enquiring further. If anything more becomes of it I will reply.

Rich

The netflix problem sounds very strange: it sounds like its managed to connect to netflix but got stuck in the app initialization. That would mean your connection/broadband is OK. I'd suggest uninstalling & reinstalling the netflix app.

The facebook problem does sound like a straightforward wrong id/password problem. Are you sure you're distinguishing between your samsung smart ID and your facebook login?

I get the "Network interference" problem regularly for any app that needs a connection. Its just a problem with my router: switching the router off & on and then switching off & on the TV *always* fixes this. It only happens once a day (& affects all devices (laptop, phone, etc)) so I can live with it. I have the UPC router and, going by other forums here, I'm lucky to get away with only having this problem once a day.

On a separate point, I tried looking at one thing on netflix that was supposedly HD (The thick of it): on a 46" TV it definitely didn't look HD to me...

Agreed....I looked at the supposed HD version of The thick of it on a LED 40" TV and the quality was very average wheras if you look at the HD content on the AOL app different ball game altogether. Alot of the alleged HD is not true HD but merely upscaled. Not that I'd want to look at Malcom in HD anyway. He's scary enough as is!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

I contacted SamsungUK on twitter and got this response:

This application is currently available for our 2011 series 6 TV's, please visit http://www.samsung.com/uk/support to update your firmware to the latest version.

I have a U32D6100, but I have the latest firmware (1016) and still don't see Netflix.

I emailed them aswell, will see what they come back with.

I contacted SamsungUK on twitter and got this response:

This application is currently available for our 2011 series 6 TV's, please visit http://www.samsung.com/uk/support to update your firmware to the latest version.

I have a U32D6100, but I have the latest firmware (1016) and still don't see Netflix.

I emailed them aswell, will see what they come back with.

Interesting...thanks for the update. I got an email response yesterday from them stating "We hope to bring this service to you ASAP. At present we do not have a release date for the Netflix service." Seems the front line support people don't know themselves as you get a different response everytime.

Keep me posted on what they come back with.

Thanks,
    Ray

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Are ye lads going to try for a refund if you don't get it?

Is there REALLY that massive a difference between the 6530 and the 7000??? Think we are looking at around 200 euro more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Sent them an email about it on the d6100 model, got this response:

Dear Tony,

Thank you for contacting Samsung and I have pleasure in providing the following assistance.

I am sorry this information is not more available to you.

Samsung have only very recently made the announcement that Netflix will soon be available.

We have secured the app in the US and Netflix is now to be introduced into the UK. We hope to bring this service to you ASAP. At present we do not have a release date for the Netflix service.

I am sorry I couldn't be of more help.

If you require any further assistance, please contact Samsung again and we will be more than happy to help.

Kind regards
    James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 serrades

This lark about the 6000 series is really annoying. I have a UE37D6100 bought a couple of months back and no Netflix app. Latest firmware. Called Samsung and the rep who as I was expecting knew nothing, came back with the automaton style response (after asking somebody else) that Netflix is only supported on 7000/8000 series. Just for the craic I asked her if she knew why only to get the same answer, almost word by word. Might as well be talking to a recording. I fail to see why Acetrax would work and Netflix wouldn't. Now I'll have to go and root my TV.

I emailed them to complain too.

• Advertisement

Thank you for contacting Samsung and I have pleasure in providing the following assistance.

The Netflix app is currently only guaranteed on the 7 & 8 series D range of television.

Please check you are running the latest firmware. if not upgrade and then see if the app is available in the Appstore or if it downloads automatically.

Unfortunately we have no release date for the app on other versions of our products with the smart hub. Please keep checking your product page on www.samsung.com/uk/support for further details.

If you require any further assistance, please contact Samsung again and we will be more than happy to help.

Kind regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Reginaldo

serrades wrote: »
    This lark about the 6000 series is really annoying. I have a UE37D6100 bought a couple of months back and no Netflix app. Latest firmware. Called Samsung and the rep who as I was expecting knew nothing, came back with the automaton style response (after asking somebody else) that Netflix is only supported on 7000/8000 series. Just for the craic I asked her if she knew why only to get the same answer, almost word by word. Might as well be talking to a recording. I fail to see why Acetrax would work and Netflix wouldn't. Now I'll have to go and root my TV.

I emailed them to complain too.

Can you view a movie on your d6000 through acetrax? I signed up and paid the fee but was unable to stream. Acetrax said its a compatibility issue with some sets and they are working to resolve the issue. Mine is a 6530 with new firmware.

Anyone else got acetrax probs or fixes?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

eleMental wrote: »
    I have a UE32D5520 which I'm assuming is a mere 5 series - does this mean its highly unlikley I'll ever be able stream Netflix directly onto my telly??? :(

Well today I mailed Samsung and this is the response I got. Quite depressing that a tv bought 2 weeks ago and setting me back €500 is considered lower spec :(

I am sorry this information is not more available to you.

Samsung have only very recently made the announcement that Netflix will soon be available.

We have secured the app in the US and Netflix is now to be introduced into the UK and Ireland. We hope to bring this service to you ASAP. At present we do not have a release date for the Netflix service on your platform. I am afraid as your television is a lower specification model with regards to Smart features Netflix may not be available on your television.

I am sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Reginaldo wrote: »
    Can you view a movie on your d6000 through acetrax? I signed up and paid the fee but was unable to stream. Acetrax said its a compatibility issue with some sets and they are working to resolve the issue. Mine is a 6530 with new firmware.

Anyone else got acetrax probs or fixes?

Haven't done it in a while. Before Xmas I did try Acetrax and it worked, but not the first time. Had to contact them and they released a new app which I had to install. This is what they said at the time:

Navigate to the Acetrax Movies icon and click on the INFO button. Should show 1.012

My Tv is a 6100. Acetrax have a fairly poor rental selection. That's why I wanted to checkout Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JustACitizen

onlyray wrote: »
    Agreed....I looked at the supposed HD version of The thick of it on a LED 40" TV and the quality was very average wheras if you look at the HD content on the AOL app different ball game altogether. Alot of the alleged HD is not true HD but merely upscaled. Not that I'd want to look at Malcom in HD anyway. He's scary enough as is!!!

Yes - AOL HD really puts it to shame. Netflix does say "HD playback will only occur if you have sufficient bandwidth at the time of playback" and they say you need a minimum of 5 Mbps. I have the 25Mbps package from UPC but of course I only get about a third of that bandwidth in reality but it still should be enough. I suppose I have to admit it does drop below 5 Mbps sometimes. I wonder does Netflix test the bandwidth when you start streaming &, if its below 5Mbps, it sets it to SD instead of HD for the *whole* film.....?Maybe restarting it might help if you feel it just happened to have started in a "bandwidth trough"? It'd be helpful if they had some indicator whether its being streamed in HD or not (I couldnt see anything like that but then I didnt look too much either....)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Just an heads up from another new Samsung owner who purchased a D6100 3D LED HD Smart TV (UE40D6100SKXXU) in the Jabuary sales and who received the same response from Samsung when I emailed them. I foolishly thought that a 3D LED HD Smart TV was a modern TV and am surprised to see that apparently Samsung concider this a lower spec Smart TV and don't seem to be too interested in providing the full Smart TV experience to customers with these models.

I purchased a Western Digital HD TV Live Streaming Media Player from *** Dabs.ie for under €100 delivered. Delivery time was around 5 days.

This little unit has built in WiFi, so no need for network cables to it from your Broadband router and it provides access to Netflix among other streaming content :) . It also has 2 x USB 2.0 interfaces which allows you to connect up USB drives which have music, photos or video files on and stream them to your TV or if you have a HTPC you can stream directly from it.

I know times are hard and this is a further financial outlay, but as the response from Samsung did not exactly fill me with confidence that they would provide access to Netflix from my series 6 TV any time soon, I thought this solution was not too bad.

*** @ Forum Mods: I have absolutely no connection what so ever with Dabs.ie. I was simply posting how I sourced access to Netflix from my Samsung series 6 TV. If you deem this post is in any way not appropriate, please feel free to edit/delete.

Yes - AOL HD really puts it to shame. Netflix does say "HD playback will only occur if you have sufficient bandwidth at the time of playback" and they say you need a minimum of 5 Mbps. I have the 25Mbps package from UPC but of course I only get about a third of that bandwidth in reality but it still should be enough. I suppose I have to admit it does drop below 5 Mbps sometimes. I wonder does Netflix test the bandwidth when you start streaming &, if its below 5Mbps, it sets it to SD instead of HD for the *whole* film.....?Maybe restarting it might help if you feel it just happened to have started in a "bandwidth trough"? It'd be helpful if they had some indicator whether its being streamed in HD or not (I couldnt see anything like that but then I didnt look too much either....)

Hmm...good point. Maybe it does revert to SD if bandwith isn't a stable 5Mbps. Normally you would expect it to buffer but maybe to your point it is smart enough to monitor the bandwith and adjust accordingly. SkyGo does this so its not inconcievable that Netflix would also. AOL on the other hand buffers sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭john.martin

Hi All - i too have the D6530 and am a little disappointed that i haven't been included in the roll out of the Netflix app...

However after a bit of research it would seem that there are a lot more models including D and C range of Samsung internet@tv models supported in Canada...

http://pages.samsung.com/ca/netflix/English/

Maybe its only a matter of time...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Reginaldo

Hi All - i too have the D6530 and am a little disappointed that i haven't been included in the roll out of the Netflix app...

However after a bit of research it would seem that there are a lot more models including D and C range of Samsung internet@tv models supported in Canada...

http://pages.samsung.com/ca/netflix/English/

Maybe its only a matter of time...?

hi john. join the club!!!

on another matter, can you watch movies thru acetrax on ur 6530? mine wont work. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Renno

Acetrax definitely not working on a 6530 either. It was working perfectly over the last few months, but I think the recent firmware upgrade may have done for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 podge84

My netflix app is still not working. It gets stuck at the "retreiving titles" part. Acetrax works fine. I cant delete and reinstall the app as its under the recommended section of the smart hub.

Rang samsung today to which I was told, "they dont know why" "they'll provide an update eventually, its a new app so they dont know why".

Anyone else having any problems with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Cant get the netflix app here :( Im on the 40c70000. Went through all the apps and couldn't see it. Im on the latest fw aswell 003011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 murphm54

podge84 wrote: »
    My netflix app is still not working. It gets stuck at the "retreiving titles" part. Acetrax works fine. I cant delete and reinstall the app as its under the recommended section of the smart hub.

Rang samsung today to which I was told, "they dont know why" "they'll provide an update eventually, its a new app so they dont know why".

Anyone else having any problems with it?

im having the exact same problem, reset the tv and installed everything again and it didnt work! dont know what to do now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 podge84

Thank god murphm54 was starting to think it was only me, did you try ring samsung? I guess there's not much point because they dont know why its happening. So frustrating its definatley only netflix too as acetrax works fine for me.

I wonder is there any point in contacting netflix? Or maybe if you contact samsung they mite sort it out quicker if theres a few people complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭john.martin

Reginaldo wrote: »
    hi john. join the club!!!

on another matter, can you watch movies thru acetrax on ur 6530? mine wont work. cheers.

Hi Reginaldo, Acetrax menu and trailers work fine for me on my d6530 - i havent tried to pay for a movie as of yet but it all works up to that stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Needatv

Hi just thought I'd let you know that Samsung have told me Netflix will not be made available for the current 6 series!! I was quite dismayed when I couldn't get new tv bought last Sunday to work Netflix and on reading your thread very angry upon forking out that money on an obsolete tv. I mean it doesn't bode well for future if ignoring series 6 now. Anyway after much pressure on shop and Samsung finally got answer today. Only good news is that Samsung advised bring back to shop if unhappy and you'll get money. Shop also confirmed . I will wait to see if true. Shop had told me, as I had asked , would it support Netflix and they said yes
    What Samsung told me was that the new (?) 6 series soon to be released (don't know how long soon is) will be capable of supporting it ? No idea why a current 6 with software upgrade couldn't do the same. Anyway just thought let you know my situation
    Bringing back tv but not sure what one to get, if any ,as ain't paying 7000 prices .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 scobay

Feck it buy a Rouk 2 xs media player and setup a vpn and get the US netflix as well as HBO and other stuff.

I like this tv too much to bring it back just because of netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Taxedalot

Does anyone know how to get the netflix app for the LG samrt tv upgrader (the deives supports it), but I don't know how to find/install it?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Nervosa

Needatv wrote: »
    Hi just thought I'd let you know that Samsung have told me Netflix will not be made available for the current 6 series!! I was quite dismayed when I couldn't get new tv bought last Sunday to work Netflix and on reading your thread very angry upon forking out that money on an obsolete tv. I mean it doesn't bode well for future if ignoring series 6 now. Anyway after much pressure on shop and Samsung finally got answer today. Only good news is that Samsung advised bring back to shop if unhappy and you'll get money. Shop also confirmed . I will wait to see if true. Shop had told me, as I had asked , would it support Netflix and they said yes
    What Samsung told me was that the new (?) 6 series soon to be released (don't know how long soon is) will be capable of supporting it ? No idea why a current 6 with software upgrade couldn't do the same. Anyway just thought let you know my situation
    Bringing back tv but not sure what one to get, if any ,as ain't paying 7000 prices .

Got an email from Samsung this morning;
    Dear Nervosa,

You are not able to receive Netflix on your TV, or any of the UK D6XXX series TVs.

At present it is available on the D7000 and D8000 only and there are no plans to change this.

Kind regards

Anthony
    Online Support Team
    SAMSUNG Customer Support Centre

Grrr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Originally Posted by podge84
    "My netflix app is still not working. It gets stuck at the "retreiving titles" part. Acetrax works fine. I cant delete and reinstall the app as its under the recommended section of the smart hub.

Anyone else having any problems with it?"

I'm having this exact problem today on my EU46D7000 - any ideas?

Advertisement