Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung smart tv Netflix app?

Options
  • 09-01-2012 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else that has a Samsung smart tv been having problems getting the supposed Netflix app that's out for it today? I went on the Netflix site after signing up and clicked the link there for the Samsung app but it brings you straight to their homepage.
    I also looked at samsungs smart tv app list and it's no where to be seen!

Hopefully it's still early days and the app will come soon but was wondering if anyone else has had problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bagsecg

Same problem for me drunky. I used the search function in the smart hub and a netflix app showed up as being in the samsung apps store for free. When i went to click on it, it just comes up as connecting but nothing further. As you say hopefully it's just that its early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Bagsecg wrote: »
    Same problem for me drunky. I used the search function in the smart hub and a netflix app showed up as being in the samsung apps store for free. When i went to click on it, it just comes up as connecting but nothing further. As you say hopefully it's just that its early days.

Exactly the same happened for me!

Hold tight i'd say! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Exactly the same happened for me!

Hold tight i'd say! :)

Software update today with the app :)

Belfunk wrote: »
    Software update today with the app :)

I had a look it didnt have any software update and looked for the app but still no sign of it!

Is there any menu i can go to to check for updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

I had a look it didnt have any software update and looked for the app but still no sign of it!

Is there any menu i can go to to check for updates?

I've a series 7. When i launched the smart hub app it automatically installed netflix however after it installed i was prompted to update the firmware on the tv for the app to work correctly.

I've a problem with upc at the moment and netflix.ie so i can't login and see how well it works.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Software update option is found under "support" after pressing the Menu button.
    I downloaded the update from the Samsung site last night and installed it via a USB stick. I was on version 001015 now I'm on 001021. TV itself couldn't do it via the internet connection for some reason. Netflix app then appeared as an option to download.

I went to check for updates in the support menu there was an update there and it downloaded and installed it, restarted and said it completed and there were no more updates available.

Checked it but its the exact same no Netflix!! I dont know whats going on.

I have a Samsung 46'' 6530 by the way.

Do you think i need the 7 series Samsung to get Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Do you think i need the 7 series Samsung to get Netflix?

Can only say that my 7 series and a friends 8 series can get it,not sure about the 6 though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bagsecg

I went to check for updates in the support menu there was an update there and it downloaded and installed it, restarted and said it completed and there were no more updates available.

Checked it but its the exact same no Netflix!! I dont know whats going on.

I have a Samsung 46'' 6530 by the way.

I've the same tv as you and would appear to have the exact same problems.updated the software no issues but still no sign of Netflix.bit frustrating at this stage.Might be a 6 series thing but I would have thought there wouldn't be any problem given wifi integration

• Advertisement

Bagsecg wrote: »
    I've the same tv as you and would appear to have the exact same problems.updated the software no issues but still no sign of Netflix.bit frustrating at this stage.Might be a 6 series thing but I would have thought there wouldn't be any problem given wifi integration

Exactly yeah! I guess we'll just have to wait and see but i can play it through my xbox anyway but it would be nice to have it straight through the tv. Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I have version 001019 (on a 5 series) and it isn't there, if i manually update to 001021 will the netflix app be available?
    I've been reluctant to try netflix without the having the on-TV experience available

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭witchity2

I have the 46 inch 7000. I have downloaded and installed the netflix app. When i open it, its says to do the software update - which I've already done.

Has anyone actually been able to run it yet from the tv???

I've also gone online on the tv to netflix site. I got an option there to stream to tv but states i need an activation code.

Anyone heard of this code or know how to get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JustACitizen

I also have the 46 inch 7000 series. I had no problem downloading the app yesterday (in the process it prompted me to do the general update as mentioned above - which I did with no problem).

I watched a film last night on it - it works very well. The playback controls are a bit crappy but the library is a lot bigger than the Acetrax library (& will probably get a lot bigger). I also see there's a lot of HD stuff - haven't tried one of those yet.

I also have the 46 inch 7000 series. I had no problem downloading the app yesterday (in the process it prompted me to do the general update as mentioned above - which I did with no problem).

I watched a film last night on it - it works very well. The playback controls are a bit crappy but the library is a lot bigger than the Acetrax library (& will probably get a lot bigger). I also see there's a lot of HD stuff - haven't tried one of those yet.

Cheers. I'll give it another try later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 podge84

I also have the samsung smart tv 7000 model, when i went into the smart hub yesterday the netflix app was there, the tv also updated my software to new version online.

When I click on the netflix app it opens and says "retieving titles" it seems to get stuck here. I thought it mite take a while the first time i use it so I left it for an hour but it was still saying "retieving titles". Tried again today but the same thing happened. Anybody else have this problem?

I also cant log onto facebook with the app they provide, because it keeps saying my id is invalid or something. Also having problems with the allshare function, keeps saying there is interference, anybody else having these problems?

I got mine up and running. There was a second update for the app. Once updated it runs perfectly!!

Only just upgraded the broadband - could that be the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 scobay

Hi is the netflix app coming to the 6 series I cant seem to see it on the Apps store thingy?. Any official announcements

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

I have emailed via the Samsung.com/ie web site to ask if they plan to make the Netflix app available to folks with Series 6 TVs as this is the model I have also. I will post back if/when I hear back from them.

Meanwhile I am waiting on my WD TV Live Streaming Media Palyer to arrive, which will hopefully support Netflix. Just in case Samsung don't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JustACitizen

podge84 wrote: »
    I also have the samsung smart tv 7000 model, when i went into the smart hub yesterday the netflix app was there, the tv also updated my software to new version online.

When I click on the netflix app it opens and says "retieving titles" it seems to get stuck here. I thought it mite take a while the first time i use it so I left it for an hour but it was still saying "retieving titles". Tried again today but the same thing happened. Anybody else have this problem?

I also cant log onto facebook with the app they provide, because it keeps saying my id is invalid or something. Also having problems with the allshare function, keeps saying there is interference, anybody else having these problems?

The netflix problem sounds very strange: it sounds like its managed to connect to netflix but got stuck in the app initialization. That would mean your connection/broadband is OK. I'd suggest uninstalling & reinstalling the netflix app.

The facebook problem does sound like a straightforward wrong id/password problem. Are you sure you're distinguishing between your samsung smart ID and your facebook login?

I get the "Network interference" problem regularly for any app that needs a connection. Its just a problem with my router: switching the router off & on and then switching off & on the TV *always* fixes this. It only happens once a day (& affects all devices (laptop, phone, etc)) so I can live with it. I have the UPC router and, going by other forums here, I'm lucky to get away with only having this problem once a day.

On a separate point, I tried looking at one thing on netflix that was supposedly HD (The thick of it): on a 46" TV it definitely didn't look HD to me...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Reginaldo

Ste.phen wrote: »
    I have version 001019 (on a 5 series) and it isn't there, if i manually update to 001021 will the netflix app be available?
    I've been reluctant to try netflix without the having the on-TV experience available

I spoke to netfix yesterday. They only support the 7000 series and above. Bummer, as I have a 6series. Samsung are working with netflix to resolve this but cant give any dates or gaurantees.

Also, Acetrax doesnt play movies for me. The acetrax support center says some samsung tvs are having technical issues and it will take a while to sort out. I have a 40" D6530. Anyone else with the same problem? (Firmware up to date)

Yeah same here with netflix and Ace trax 40c6505, shame really, great set dunno why they cant make the apps compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Renno

Bloody hell that's frustrating. A potentially obsolete 6 series after only having it for 6 months.

Acetrax always works for me on a 6500, but I haven't tried this week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

The response I go from Samsung is that they are working to make the Netflix app available in Ireland and UK. However they are making it available to their new models first. The advice is to keep an eye on the Samsung web site and the Smart hub for more info.

Seeing as it appears to already be available for the Series 8 and Series 7 models, hopefully it will not be long before it becomes available for their Series 6 models also. Feel free to email Samsung also to show them that there is a demand from us Series 6 owners :D:D:D

Yeah you are right I will send them a email, also I cannot seem to find this model number on samsungs website ue40D6505 Im not sure if I have the most up to date firmware, checking it through tv it says I have the latest but I have seen posts that I may have to Dl it to usb key then update??

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

I have a UE32D5520 which I'm assuming is a mere 5 series - does this mean its highly unlikley I'll ever be able stream Netflix directly onto my telly??? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭moochie

I've a LE46C650 and enquired from Samsung as to Netflix support. Here is their response. May be useful for others reading this thread
    Dear Richard

Thank you for contacting Samsung and I have pleasure in providing the following assistance.

Unfortunately Netflix is not available for the C series televisions. It has only come available for the D series.

If you require any further assistance, please contact Samsung again and we will be more than happy to help.

Rich

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

What the samsung email address. I have a series 6 and want to show my support to get it onto that model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 onlyray

tonydude wrote: »
    What the samsung email address. I have a series 6 and want to show my support to get it onto that model.

Hey tonydue

http://www.samsung.com/ie/info/contactus.html

I just logged an email myself. I have a 6 series also. Both Samsung and the retailer claimed Netflix was supported at the time I purchased. If not I've told them I will be returning the set for a refund. I'm worried this will only be the start of it. Is the 6 series going to be at the bottom of the food chain as things develop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 onlyray

moochie wrote: »
    I've a LE46C650 and enquired from Samsung as to Netflix support. Here is their response. May be useful for others reading this thread

Rich

That#'s interesting as they originally claimed they did on the C Series.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/LN46C650L1FXZA

Although they do state at the bottom "Features and specifications are subject to change without prior notification"

It seems Samsung are continually rewriting what they will and won't support which is unfair is you bought on the basis of what they claimed at the time. I have a 6 series which I was told by both Samsung and the retailer supported Netflix to find out they don't currently and can't guarantee it!

Advertisement