Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long has the metric system been taught in school?

Options
  • 23-11-2013 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

This drives me round the bend!!!
    Listen, I mean, read on:
    Karl Henry is on the front of the indo magazine this morning, so I turn to see what it's about. So he is doing an operation transformation type thing, bootcamp for a month and there is a brief profile of the people taking part.
    Well, their height and weight are given in feet and stones..
    Wtf is 14 stone? I guess it's heavy and 5 foot two is kind of short.
    My bathroom scales is in kilo, my kids are finished school and they were taught in metric.
    Why do people insist in using these obsolete measurements? I could understand perhaps if someone over fifty would still use them but how does it make sense to a thirty year old? I mean I don't think anyone thinks or converts to pounds shillings and pence so why do they do it to feet and stones. Nuts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Moved from Gift & Festivities, posted in the wrong forum in error.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Thank you for moving this, Cathmandooo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    This drives me round the bend!!!
    Listen, I mean, read on:
    Karl Henry is on the front of the indo magazine this morning, so I turn to see what it's about. So he is doing an operation transformation type thing, bootcamp for a month and there is a brief profile of the people taking part.
    Well, their height and weight are given in feet and stones..
    Wtf is 14 stone? I guess it's heavy and 5 foot two is kind of short.
    My bathroom scales is in kilo, my kids are finished school and they were taught in metric.
    Why do people insist in using these obsolete measurements? I could understand perhaps if someone over fifty would still use them but how does it make sense to a thirty year old? I mean I don't think anyone thinks or converts to pounds shillings and pence so why do they do it to feet and stones. Nuts!

Metric system in from at least before 1994. My junior cert in 1997 was metric. But there are still something's that people do the old fashioned way, eg baby weight, people weight, rural folk still tell you the nearest shop is a mile that way!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Things to get wound up and stressed about... Not this.

In future open google, type "14 stone in kg" and you get an answer.

Faster than posting a thread on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

kceire wrote: »
    Metric system in from at least before 1994. My junior cert in 1997 was metric. But there are still something's that people do the old fashioned way, eg baby weight, people weight, rural folk still tell you the nearest shop is a mile that way!

I did the Inter Cert in 1983 and I was educated completely in the metric system. I have never used anything else during my working life.

However, in a discussion about weight, when I say I was 70kg, I lost 13kg, I am now 57kg, I get a blank look from people of all ages, including people 15 years younger than me.

When I translate is as I was 11 stone, I lost 2 stone, I am now 9 stone, everyone understands.

For some reason, we still have some sort of "folk" memory for imperial weight measurements.
    Strange, I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Ah, Hanley, can I not have a moan? I'm just saying it's mad, illogical!

When someone says or I read that they're 90 kg, i can visualise straight off what it would look like, I have a good idea to their height if they are overweight or not. I loose that immediacy when I google it. I expect it is the same for you if someone gives you their weight in kilos.
    Oddly, I don't have the same problem with height. I can see in my mind what 5' is as quickly as 190 cm (no they're not the same!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

When I started school in Junior Infants in 1969 the Imperial system was still in use. By the time I had reached 6th class (1977/78) it was metric all the way. Basically I was taught both ways.

But my parents and grandparents still used the Imperial system for measurement. So whatever was taught in school re the metric system had very little impact on my understanding on measurement in a practical way. To this day I still mix both systems of measurement. I can visualise 4 ozs of margarine, but I would not know that it's approximately 114 grams.

If I remember correctly money changed around 1970 too. It's because of the old money we learned the 12 times tables.

It was a confusing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Its just a habit that will never go away. I left school 3 years ago and despite now studying physics and having SI units drilled into my head, I alternate between stone/pounds and kg for weight all the time and can picture both in my head.

I cannot for the life of me picture heights in cm though, always feet and inches. Think those are the only two I allow though, things like gallons and miles dont compute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Weight: Kg
    Height: Inches and Cm
    Distance: Km (long), feet (short)

That's how I see things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I go with feet and stones too
    Sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It makes people more clever if they can switch between the two. My 2.21 times tables improved immensely after I learned of the existence of kilograms.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,100 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ah, Hanley, can I not have a moan? I'm just saying it's mad, illogical!

When someone says or I read that they're 90 kg, i can visualise straight off what it would look like, I have a good idea to their height if they are overweight or not. I loose that immediacy when I google it. I expect it is the same for you if someone gives you their weight in kilos.
    Oddly, I don't have the same problem with height. I can see in my mind what 5' is as quickly as 190 cm (no they're not the same!)

What about food?
    If somebody says there's 500 calories in a burger, do have no clue what they are talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Do you know what they call a quarter pounder in France?
    About 110 grams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Hanley wrote: »
    Weight: Kg
    Height: Inches and Cm
    Distance: Km (long), feet (short)

That's how I see things.

Due to my schooling I measure things differently according to what they are.

I'm 6 foot, but drive 10km to work.

I weigh 14 stone, but lift 100kgs.

I fill up in liters but get 30 miles per the gallon.

I drink pints, but measure milliliters.

If you reverse any of those situational measurements then my brain goes boing and need to look it up.

My friends and work colleagues are a mixture of American and European so I am truly screwed when it comes to discussing measurements. Especially since they look at me to "translate"

A typical convo would be
    Austrian: He is a very big guy, maybe 140 kgs.
    American(to me): how big is that?
    Me (in my head) er...times 2.2, divide by 14, theres a divide by 6 in there somewhere i think. um, well he said big, 20 stone is big.
    Me (to the American) about 300 lbs

We just happen to be of the age where we weren't taught 100% imperial and not 100% metric, so we just mix.
    Americans are just stubborn tho.

Would be real nice if they just picked one and stopped using the others completely, like they were supposed to do 40 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Distance is another one where a lot of people think in miles despite having been taught in km.

There is an easy conversion here, though, especially for longer journeys.

60 m = 96 km (100 km, to round off) = one hour's driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

They, the authorities, were introducing back in my school days.
    Being the recalcitrant type and not changing my ways just because the state said so, I decided then and continue to stick to my traditional Imperial ways old boy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Finished school in 1980.
    We learned the metric system, but most of us also knew the Imperial. We had to cope with a couple of changes in currency too.
    I don't know how we did it - and all without sample answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I could understand perhaps if someone over fifty would still use them but how does it make sense to a thirty year old? I mean I don't think anyone thinks or converts to pounds shillings and pence so why do they do it to feet and stones. Nuts!
    The older people kept the tradition growing, when growing up you would hear heights & other measures in old units, so you get used to it.

You say nobody converts to shillings & pence, but most of these people are not converting the other units you mention, the units are still in use in many cases. e.g. waist sizes, most clothing will still have inches as the primary unit, with cm in smaller type.

Some things have stayed the same so its common to hear of them keeping old known values, e.g. wages & prices increase year by year, if inflation did not exist you still might hear older people talking in old currency more. But heights & weights & a "long walk" are not changing so the old standards stick, 6ft is a reasonably tall man etc. Usually they are lower units too, people prefer rounded units, like 14 and a half stone, rather than 203lb, the jump is often in 1/4 stone increments.

If it was made illegal or just extremely unpopular to publish inches then people would change their ways -just like with money.

I think some keep it since they know people have poor maths. e.g. the butchers near me has things measured in lb, they do not have price per pound which I think is now illegal, but have 1lb packs of stuff. I figure they are hoping the older people will be more used to it, and that younger people might make the mistake of rounding it up, so 2lb of mince for €10 might be rounded to be a kilo, so they might appear cheaper than the tesco next door selling 1kilo of mince for €10.50

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Reading this, I'm now confused about what I learnt at school. I definitely learnt the metric system but feel in primary school (mostlys 1980s) there was some sneaky Imperialism going on. I make a really conscious effort to only use the metric system. For distance and measuring (eg wallpaper), I'm metric all the way, unless I'm helping my parents who can't do metric.

Having lived in a European country for a while, I order all meat in grams at the butchers and there is no problem but I definitely have observed people asking for "half a pound" of something.

I default to stone & pounds for weight but after losing weight years ago am vg at converting. Observation of height and weight are the hardest for me to do in the metric system.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement