Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to buy, what to buy

Options
  • 23-11-2013 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Gonna treat myself and blow a load of cash on equipment coz I'm such a great person and deserve it, and because Santa has blacklisted me and won't get them.

Looking for suggestions on what to buy. So far I'm going to get.

Fat Gripz
    Light Resistance bands for mobility
    Hand Gripper (suggestions welcome)
    Oly dumbbell (then I'll have two)
    More Plates

Any comments on if/what to buy welcome. Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

D8fitness for all of it.

As for "what" - what do you want to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Sea The Starz

Thanks Hanley, My goal is to get stronger and not confine myself to a wheelchair in the process. When I say strong I mean it in a vague sense, ie I'm not training for any specific sport, I'd just like to have a decent overall level of strength,

D8 fitness looks good, do you think there is any potential for discount if you bought a decent amount?

I was also considering buying weightlifting shoes too, I currently just throw some plates under my heels when squatting. I notice you use snazzy red ones when squatting. Is there much of a differ between the two? Thanks.

Anyone have any opinion on what gripper to buy. Looking at getting the Captains of Crush 100lb one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

http://www.d8fitness.com/product/gym-rings/

Rings for 30 euro = good value.

keep an eye out on done deal. There was a gym losing down in Limerick earlier in the week and all their gear was up for sale.

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/miscellaneous-products/35mm-rope-20m-length.html

Wish I had seen this before I ordered my manilla rope.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Sea The Starz

Thanks JJayoo

I was thinking about rings but how/where would you attach them? Is their much added benefit as opposed to just doing bar dips or pullups.

How do u find the manilla rope? I'd say it destroys your grip/forearms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Thanks JJayoo

I was thinking about rings but how/where would you attach them? Is their much added benefit as opposed to just doing bar dips or pullups.

How do u find the manilla rope? I'd say it destroys your grip/forearms.

Doing dips or pullups on the rings requires more stabilising than with a bar as the rings move left and right and forward and back. Ring dips are f*cking hard if you've only ever done dips on a bar!

• dips
    • chin ups
    • pull ups
    • press ups
    • rows
    • iron cross
    • knee raise
    • leg raise
    • throw the *insert object* though the ring(s)

There's a lot more I'm sure.
    Gonna treat myself and blow a load of cash on equipment coz I'm such a great person and deserve it, and because Santa has blacklisted me and won't get them.

Fat Gripz

More Plates

There is only one hand gripper worthy of hercules, the [URL="

Fat Gripz

More Plates

There is only one hand gripper worthy of hercules, the captains of crush brand. If you can close their highest level one they send you an award certificate :P"]captains of crush[/URL] brand. If you can close their highest level one they send you an award certificate :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I really like the rings for inverted rows, you can pretty much create a giant drop set by gradually increasing the angle of your body to the ground. I find ring chins way harder than normal chins.

The manilla rope is rough on the hands. I have done a few proper rope climbs but mostly I use the rope for rack climbs/sled pulls. The cotton rope would be a lot easier on your hands. the below video looks like a cotton rope.

These are the rack climb things I do.

JJayoo wrote: »
    These are the rack climb things I do.

I had a go off these at the end of yesterdays session, managed 5 reps (without straight legs) before plumetting to the ground :P Good for the forearms!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dermighty wrote: »

There is only one hand gripper worthy of hercules, the captains of crush brand. If you can close their highest level one they send you an award certificate :P"]captains of crush[/URL] brand. If you can close their highest level one they send you an award certificate :P
    I would go for the JB gripper instead.

I made extensions for my own gripper and the are great.

http://www.kettlebells.co.uk/jbgrippers.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Dermighty wrote: »
    Doing dips or pullups on the rings requires more stabilising than with a bar as the rings move left and right and forward and back. Ring dips are f*cking hard if you've only ever done dips on a bar!

• dips
    • chin ups
    • pull ups
    • press ups
    • rows
    • iron cross
    • knee raise
    • leg raise
    • throw the *insert object* though the ring(s)

There's a lot more I'm sure.

I have the cc gripper rated at 365lb iirc,the hardest one anyway.It was a present from a friend.Have never been able to close it.
    When i worked in a supplement store from time to time your stereo typical polish meathead would come in.At the counter i would say if you can close the gripper you can have that for free,,,they never closed it..
    Mickk from Irish Lifting has a custom made gripper that was off the scale.

drdeadlift wrote: »
    I have the cc gripper rated at 365lb iirc,the hardest one anyway.It was a present from a friend.Have never been able to close it.
    When i worked in a supplement store from time to time your stereo typical polish meathead would come in.
    At the counter i would say if you can close the gripper you can have that for free,,,they never closed it..
    Mickk from Irish Lifting has a custom made gripper that was off the scale.

• Advertisement
Advertisement