Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice on wrist and knee straps

• 21-11-2013 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

I am strongly considering competing in powerlifting. I have been told there is a big difference between normal gym wraps and proper wraps. Could someone point me in the direction of where i could get ones that would be suitable in competitions.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

what kind of wrap where? what do you squat? how long are you training? what do you weight? where do you plan on competing?

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

Hanley wrote: »
    what kind of wrap where? what do you squat? how long are you training? what do you weight? where do you plan on competing?

Weigh 83kg
    Squat 120-130kg (isn't good but working on in)
    Training over 10 years but only got serious in the past 8 months or so.
    I have no idea where I plan on competing man and I don't no what types of wraps. I thought wraps were wraps but someone in my gym told me different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

forget knee wraps at 83kg with a 130kg squat you dont need them...get a set of rehband sleeves...if only cause they are so comfortable...

as for wrist straps

id recommend the Titan THP ones

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/sleeves-wraps-straps/wrist-wraps.html

Thanks man. When would knee wraps come into play ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

chriity139 wrote: »
    Thanks man. When would knee wraps come into play ?

Thats something I'm in no way qualified to answer as I've never used them.

There is nothing stopping you using them with 130kg...i just dont see the point as there is clearly a lot more raw strength to be built

• Advertisement

forget knee wraps at 83kg with a 130kg squat you dont need them...get a set of rehband sleeves...if only cause they are so comfortable...

as for wrist straps

id recommend the Titan THP ones

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/sleeves-wraps-straps/wrist-wraps.html

All of that.

Knee wraps never need to come into play. Unless you're competing in a fed that allows them or want to use them cos you enjoy them.

And lemme tell ya there's nothing nice or enjoyable about knee wraps when put on tight and used properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Knee wraps put on properly will be horrendous!

Most people laugh at equipped lifting, but imagine having in tight ass wraps and a tight ass suit where you can hardly walk up to the bar or even breath.

But, if you're gonna lift where they allow them then get used to them and learn them.

All of that.

Knee wraps never need to come into play. Unless you're competing in a fed that allows them or want to use them cos you enjoy them.

And lemme tell ya there's nothing nice or enjoyable about knee wraps when put on tight and used properly.

Thanks for the advice hanley :) Would you advise me to work up the weight without any knee assistance ?

chriity139 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice hanley :) Would you advise me to work up the weight without any knee assistance ?

Your hamstrings, glutes and calves are great for knee assistance.

If you're squatting correctly and moving well, you don't need it.

If you're squatting multiple times per week some sleeves might be nice. But the don't "assist" anything.

Your hamstrings, glutes and calves are great for knee assistance.

If you're squatting correctly and moving well, you don't need it.

If you're squatting multiple times per week some sleeves might be nice. But the don't "assist" anything.

Im thinking of doing a smolov cycle after christmas to get my squat up so may as well get some sleeves

• Advertisement
Advertisement