Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Present for a women who is getting into fitness?

• 19-11-2013 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

All,

The other half and I have been on a bit of a journey this last while to lose weight and improve our overall health and appearances. We have tried this a few times and usually crashed and burned.

This time we decided to go our separate ways in terms of training. I took up running and bodyweight training (I'm a broad guy so this works well for me) and she has taken up TRX and strength training. We are both working on mostly clean diets and the results are starting to show in a consistent and sustainable way.

To say she is smashing it is an understatement! I have been blown away by the results she is getting and the dedication she is putting in to it. I am so proud of her and in awe of how well she is doing that I would like to get her some sort of gift, related to fitness or health that would show how proud I am of her.

I do tell her every day how well she is looking and I have even gone so far as learn how to do Swedish massage (which she is delighted with) but I would like to give her something that not only shows her how proud and amazed I am with her efforts but also helps her on her journey.

Does anyone have any idea's for a gift that would be related to what she is doing that says, "Holy ****, you are smashing it and I think your getting amazing results". Perhaps something that acts as positive reinforcement?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Get her a 16kg Kettlebell, an Ab roller and a proper 41 inch resistance band.

Look at D8 fitness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Look at D8 fitness

Throw in an foam/grid roller as well.

If I got all those as a gift I'd be a happy woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭McDonnellDean

Sweet. She has a small kettle bell and she loved it but I think it's too light now. She did mention some minor gripes with her wrist so I'm thinking some wrist bands jobbies too?

Look at D8 fitness

Can I ask what a 41 inch resistance band is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Leg warmers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Can't help with any equipment suggestions really but show her this post after you give her the gift! Very sweet, fair play to both of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

When I started running (2 years ago), I used to run in proper running shoes, but whatever Dunnes/Pennys leggings, t-shirts etc that I owned. No proper breathable waterproof hi vis etc...

A few times I priced proper running gear, but it was quite pricey but Id only just started, and then summer came along and I was able to get away with cheapy shorts and vest tops, didnt need to worry about hi vis or waterproof etc..

Anyway, eventually as it came back to winter, I slowly began to get proper gear. Now I have a full selection of running tights, high vis tops/jackets, rain gear, compression socks, head warmer, snood, waterproof but breathable etc... This year is the first time I felt like a "proper" runner - not only do I act the part - but I look the part too and there is a kick out of seeing how my leg musculature has changed in the tights.

So - long story short - good exercise gear!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

2nd vote for foam roller.

get a good one like "The Grid" they also come in short sizes for carrying in the gym bag.

Couple it with a book like becoming a supple leopard and some bands.

This "pack" of stuff will get full use as mobility issues will rear their head at some stage.
    Plus, this kind of self massage is additively pleasant

Cheers for all the responses folks!

Some really good suggestions. I am actually going to go with a "pack" like suggested. That way I can get a few of the items rather than one or two.

Cheers Tasden! I think it's easy to forget these things require continual effort and it's very easy to send a few words her way but I want to show her that I am really amazed at her performance so far. To be fair, she has kind of blown me away with how hard she pushes it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Obviously you know your o/h better than anyone here and would know if she would appreciate a gift of exercise equipment. Personally I would be more inclined to give an o/h something like a pair of Spa tickets for her and a friend or something along this line. Something to give her a little pampering where she could kick back and relax a little after the hard work she has obviously put in. Personally I would be a little afraid that a gift of exercise equipment might give a "must try harder" message which would not be what was intended.

But this is just my 2 cents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Does she do TRX in a class or at home.
    If its in a class then she might appreciate a TRX for home use. (They're pricey though)

brownej wrote: »
    Does she do TRX in a class or at home.
    If its in a class then she might appreciate a TRX for home use. (They're pricey though)

In a class, but at home could be a good idea, have you links to explore?

In a class, but at home could be a good idea, have you links to explore?

You can get the official ones on amazon but they can be up to £200
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Trx

They can also be found on adverts.ie for considerably less. They may or may not be the genuine article. There's a thread on here from yesterday about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Does anyone have any idea's for a gift that would be related to what she is doing that says, "Holy ****, you are smashing it and I think your getting amazing results". Perhaps something that acts as positive reinforcement?

Deep Fat Fryer. Women love getting kitchen appliances as gifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If you really wanted to splash the cash you could book a Fitness Holiday package. Perfect weather, great food, structured/ wide variety of training. Come back feeling great with a tan plus between Nov-Feb they are pretty cheap.

Or you could buy her some Peanut butter and get her to do a winter bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

1468538_10152028301667457_382404173_n.jpg?oh=b8b128affdc9c5560c750e378ea4f66d&oe=528DDC94

:o

On a serious note. This would be a good book for an overweight beginner looking to get started on the road to fitness. The info on diet is all good and well explained. The training program is fine for a beginner (mostly bodyweight circuits and running) but it doesn't give guidelines for progressing after the 21 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

JJayoo wrote: »
    If you really wanted to splash the cash you could book a Fitness Holiday package.

What site would you recommend for the above?

I have it sorted now guys, I had a good look at all the options and I am settled on what to get. Cheers for all the help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I have it sorted now guys, I had a good look at all the options and I am settled on what to get. Cheers for all the help!

Deep Fat Fryer it is so. You won't regret it when you see the look on her face.

I'd say I'd get more than a look if I produced a deep fat fryer! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Yoga pants.

MMmmmmmm!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭COH

If your girlfriend is strength training etc perhaps a pair of weightlifting shoes? Adidas and reebok both carry girly coloured shoes etc. ... I know this because for Christmas my barbell-intoxicated girlfriend has asked for..

A pink weightlifting belt
    Pink weightlifting shoes
    Pink straps
    Pink wraps
    Clother to train in... preferably pink

I'm starting to think her favourite colour is pink :confused:

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    What site would you recommend for the above?

I haven't looked these up in much detail but a place to start would be a sport/fitness cruise. In the last few years there have been a huge amount of accidents involving cruises. This has resulted in huge discounts on cruises.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20798945

"Carnival made a net profit of $93m (£57m) in the three months to 30 November, down from $217m last year.

Revenues at the British-American group fell to $2.7bn from $2.8bn.

Carnival has seen a fall in bookings since the capsizing, despite offering substantial price cuts."

"Looking ahead, the company said its bookings for 2013 "continue to be behind" this year's levels."

So I would search for Cruises operated by the Carnival company first. I like the idea of waking up in a new destination everyday and eating my bodyweight in meat at buffets.

I know you've said you have it sorted now but perhaps one other thing to consider would be the "Supple Leopard" book by Kelly Starrett to accompany the foam roller etc.
    Sports Massages are also beneficial and worth considering. (Not to be confused with a massage from a spa, Sports massages can be painful but well worth it)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭kop-end

Tasden wrote: »
    Can't help with any equipment suggestions really but show her this post after you give her the gift! Very sweet, fair play to both of you

+1 Fair Play pal, you are what the women refer to as a 'keeper' :P

brownej wrote: »
    I know you've said you have it sorted now but perhaps one other thing to consider would be the "Supple Leopard" book by Kelly Starrett to accompany the foam roller etc.
    Sports Massages are also beneficial and worth considering. (Not to be confused with a massage from a spa, Sports massages can be painful but well worth it)

While this particular present is sorted I have not ruled out the others as general gifts. I purposely haven't said what I have decided on, one, some, none or all because you never know who may stumble on to this thread ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

All,

The other half and I have been on a bit of a journey this last while to lose weight and improve our overall health and appearances. We have tried this a few times and usually crashed and burned.

This time we decided to go our separate ways in terms of training. I took up running and bodyweight training (I'm a broad guy so this works well for me) and she has taken up TRX and strength training. We are both working on mostly clean diets and the results are starting to show in a consistent and sustainable way.

To say she is smashing it is an understatement! I have been blown away by the results she is getting and the dedication she is putting in to it. I am so proud of her and in awe of how well she is doing that I would like to get her some sort of gift, related to fitness or health that would show how proud I am of her.

I do tell her every day how well she is looking and I have even gone so far as learn how to do Swedish massage (which she is delighted with) but I would like to give her something that not only shows her how proud and amazed I am with her efforts but also helps her on her journey.

get her some training gear from places like - http://www.womens.gymgear.ie/ see if they do gift vouchers.

equipment etc imo is a waste as she is probably using most of it anyway.

second the massage also. Post up where you guys live and someone can give a recommendation for a therapist in your area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

admiral_ackbar_says_its_a_trap.jpg

Diamonds.

If the fitness interest is recent enough this could be construed as buying her a gift to make her less fat. You may as well buy her a hoover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Ankle/wrist weights - great versatile bit of equipment that 'll help her feel the burn that lil bit more whatever the exercise she does

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Leona_85

Buy her something beautiful! My OH did this for me after i started to do really well in my training and weight loss - he got me a pretty bracelet that was a nice reminder when i wasn't training how proud he was of me! He did get me some hats/gloves and accessories coming into the winter but was nice to get a little something i wouldn't normally buy myself!

What is your budget?

kevpants wrote: »

Diamonds.

If the fitness interest is recent enough this could be construed as buying her a gift to make her less fat. You may as well buy her a hoover.

Or be sadistic prick and buy her a bikini that's two sizes to small and tell her to work hard enough so she can fit into it.

Get her a year supply of new socks, Mmmmmm new socks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Buy her a bowling ball with 'Homer' printed on it...

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    Get her a year supply of new socks, Mmmmmm new socks
    man i love me a new pair of socks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Transform wrote: »
    man i love me a new pair of socks!

I prefer a long sock, myself.

Had this guy http://paleomealdeliveries.ie/ drop me in a few paleo bars/treats the other day and think i might buy some of the vouchers for my clients as xmas presents.

Another idea possibly - a weeks supply of paleo meals as a present?

Had this guy http://paleomealdeliveries.ie/ drop me in a few paleo bars/treats the other day and think i might buy some of the vouchers for my clients as xmas presents.

Another idea possibly - a weeks supply of paleo meals as a present?

You buy presents for your clients??

*cough* Hanley *cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

foam roller
    skipping rope
    medicine ball

(decent runners? though I don't recommend running until weight has been lost and person is fit)

• Advertisement

"Don't run until you're fit"

Lawd jesus give me patience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

"Don't run until you're fit"

Lawd jesus give me patience

I meant to say, in a fit state to run.

As per your website!!! People who are not in good shape doing damage to themselves.

I meant to say, in a fit state to run.

As per your website!!! People who are not in good shape doing damage to themselves.
    well thats better and agree most people need to spend more time focusing on mobility and strength and you can pepper that with some running only when mobility and strength is the issue NOT necessarily fitness/conditioning.

Advertisement