Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to use fadas? (Irish language ascii)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

franc 91 wrote: »
    Haigh - I find it very frustrating not being able to put in fadas too (and accents for other languages such as Scots Gaelic and Italian) I'm not very gifted when it comes to IT, having never ever been through a training course. You would have thought that they would have come up with some kind of an easy system of doing it - I see that in the early days of typewriters they did in fact have an Irish keyboard. Why can't they do that now? I've heard of 'language bars' that you add on - at least that is what I think they call it. Here in France, I have an AZERTY keyboard and all the accents that you need for French are on it - the computer system we have is Family Vista Windows - I have an Alt key on the left hand side and an Alt Gr on the right and a bit further right there's a Ctrl key - so how do I put in letters with fadas? Help please! (Oh and I don't even have a key for Euro sign, would you believe it)
    This is what I have under the numbers é è ç à and I can add ^ and ¨ to vowels and I have ù.

For most, just press and hold Alt Gr and the vowel to put the fada on it.
    To get the € sign, use Alt Gr and 4 (along the top).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

OK I'll have a go - GRMA
    Franc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Ok. Tá súil agam gur féidir duine éigin cabhrú liom leis an bhfadhb seo.

Fuair mé ríomhaire nua inne agus tá Word 7 suiteáilte. De ghnáth, cuireann me ‘alt’, ‘ctrl’ agus an fada agus as sin, faigheann mé na fadaí.

Bhíos in ann é a dhéanamh trí ‘Insert' ==> ‘Symbol’ ==> ‘More Symbols’ agus ag brú ‘Shortcut Key’ le ‘alt’, ‘ctrl’ agus an fada. Anois, áfach, nílim in ann a fhorscríobh na haicearraí atá ann cheana féin.

An mbeadh eolas ar bith ag éinne conas is féidir liom na aicearraí thuas a úsáid le Word 7?

I.S.: Tá na haicearraí ceanna ag obair go hiomlán ar an idirlíon leis an ríomhaire seo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

dubhthach wrote: »
    My work laptop has an american keyboard layout. As a result I downloaded a keymap called "United States-Gaeilge". I can do both fada's and punc buailte
    ḃ ċ ḋ ḟ ġ ṁ ṗ ṡ ṫ

Dubhthach -> Duḃṫaċ

Know this is quite an old thread, but just found out that with a Mac, you can do this by selecting the Irish (Extended) keyboard — It's [OPTION + W], then the consonant that need to be softened :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Also just found, the 'Tironian' et (⁊) is [ALT] + [SHIFT] + '&' in the Irish Extended set, and the dotless i (ı) is the same as ponc séimhithe — [ALT] + W, then 'i'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CLASSGENIUS

á I see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I'm on the gaeilge.ie website. It is unnavigable if you're using Chrome. They need to fix that. So I went into Internet Explorer and it was working fine at first.

However, when I was filling in the form using an Internet Explorer browser, when I pressed the word with the fada, I lost everything in the form. I tried it again with a single word, and the same thing happened. What causes this?

Here is the form in question (you must be using Explorer) to see for yourself: http://www.gaeilge.ie/site/contact.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I'm on the gaeilge.ie website. It is unnavigable if you're using Chrome. They need to fix that. So I went into Internet Explorer and it was working fine at first.

However, when I was filling in the form using an Internet Explorer browser, when I pressed the word with the fada, I lost everything in the form. I tried it again with a single word, and the same thing happened. What causes this?

Here is the form in question (you must be using Explorer) to see for yourself: http://www.gaeilge.ie/site/contact.asp

Just gave it a quick try and typed in words with fadas but I found no problems with IE 11 or Chrome using Windows 7.

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    Just gave it a quick try and typed in words with fadas but I found no problems with IE 11 or Chrome using Windows 7.

No problem now either with Chrome. Is the webpage appearing odd for you through Chrome, as if it's only made to be used with IE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

gaiscioch wrote: »
    No problem now either with Chrome. Is the webpage appearing odd for you through Chrome, as if it's only made to be used with IE?

I opened gaeilge.ie on IE and Chrome at same time and alt-tabbed between them. I looked at a few different pages. The layout is the same and the only difference I see is that the text is rendered slightly differently.

Is your Chrome updating? If you click 'About Google Chrome' in the dropdown menu it should say 'Google Chrome is up to date'

Regarding the very helpful Gaelspell spelling checker in MS WORD. Unfortunately it still does not recognise a sizeable number of words, the latest being 'Seimeastar' and therefore leaves a red line under it.

I remember years ago I could rightclick the mouse and click "Add to Dictionary" (underneath 'Ignore' and 'Ignore All' both of which are working) and no more red lines. However, now that 'Add to Dictionary' option is faded/not capable of being pressed.

What option do I have to go into to restore that feature of Gaelspell? Grma.

Advertisement