Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cad é an Gaeilge atá ar...

Options
  • 07-02-2014 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

"To be honest..."
    "I like most music genres".
    "I'm glad to hear it".

And most importantly how do I say "I have (song name) stuck in my head"?

Go raibh maith agaibh!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭freethink3r

Chónaigh mé ann ó rugadh mé

And is this correct grammar?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

"To be honest..."
    "I'm glad to hear it".

Go raibh maith agaibh!

Well you could say 'I ndairire' or 'caitheadh me a ra' for 'to be honest'

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"To be honest..."
    "I'm glad to hear it".

Go raibh maith agaibh!

Chun a bheith macánta...
    Taitníonn ceol ó an-chuid seánraí liom.
    Deas é sin a chloisteáil.
    Tá ______ greamaithe i mo chloigean!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

"To be honest..."
    Déanta na fírinne ...
    Is maith liom beagnach gach cineál ceoil.
    "I'm glad to hear it".
    Is maith liom é sin a chloisteáil.
    Ní féidir liom fáil réidh le .... as mo cheann.
    Go raibh maith agaibh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Chónaigh mé ann ó rugadh mé

And is this correct grammar?
    Grammatically, yes. But it needs some sort of a complement.

Tá mé i mo chónaí ann ó rugadh mé.
    is what i'd say.

Or you could say something like this:

Chónaigh mé ann ó rugadh mé go dtí go raibh mé sé bliana d'aois.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Táim ar strae leis an abairt seo:

"I asked him if he could give me a job for the summer"

D'fhiafraigh mé de má d'fhéadfadh sé post a thabhairt dom don samhraidh?

Míle buíochas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

gaiscioch wrote: »

Míle buíochas.

Well you have a few options with 'don samhradh'.

See this from nualéargais grammar guide online:
    ts: In Ulster and Munster, a t-prefix is used with all nouns, beginning with s, if the preposition + article normally incurs lenition, and not eclipsis.
    e.g.: ar an tsúil = on the eye, ar an tsagart = on the priest
    ts (fem.): In the standard and Connacht, a t-prefix only precedes feminine nouns, independent of a customary lenition or eclipsis following the preposition + article.
    e.g.: ar an tsúil = on the eye but: ar an sagart = on the priest

So, in other words if you are writing using the standard or Connacht dialect then you can leave it as 'don samhradh' but with Munster dialect or Ulster, it would be 'don tsamhradh'.

I can't see the reason to add in the 'i' here unless it's some use of historic dative singular. It's probably fine though.

Míle buíochas.

You could rephrase this as 'D'iarr mé post/jab samhraidh air' but that is more like 'I asked him for a summer job'.
    Fiafraigh implies a question.

Or d'fhéadfadh tú a rá '....arbh fhéidir leis post a thabhairt dom...'

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Míle buíochas.

".....an bhféadfadh sé"

pog it wrote: »
    You could rephrase this as 'D'iarr mé post/jab samhraidh air' but that is more like 'I asked him for a summer job'.
    Fiafraigh implies a question.

Or d'fhéadfadh tú a rá '....arbh fhéidir leis post a thabhairt dom...'

Míle buíochas as an bhfreagra agus go háirithe an difríocht idir 'D'iarr' agus 'D'fhiafraigh' a chur ar mo shúile dom. Níor smaoinigh mé faoi sin roimhe seo.

Pota Focal:

"iarr VERB
    PAST d'iarr, PRESENT iarrann, FUTURE iarrfaidh, VERBAL NOUN iarraidh, VERBAL ADJECTIVE iarrtha
    »
    ask, request
    iarrann [A] [rud] ar [A] asks for [something]
    d'iarr mé gloine uisce ar an bhean I asked the woman for a glass of water
    DO NOT CONFUSE WITH fiafraigh"

I.S.: Before this = 'roimhe seo' nó 'roimh seo'?

• Advertisement

Níl a fhios agam a chara.

You could try searching on 'corpas.focloir.ie' to see which one of the two turns up with the most references. You'll need to register first before you can search there.

Are both of these correct, and if so do they mean precisely the same thing?

"chun [rud] a fheiceáil/a dhéanamh etc"

"le [rud] a fheiceáil/a dhéanamh etc"

I would use 'chun' in the above context, but "le feiceáil/le déanamh", ach nílim cinnte an bhfuilim ceart nó mícheart agus cén fáth.

They do come down to the same thing as far as I know.
    The difference between them might be a question of dialect or even that 'le' is softer.
    I've heard 'le haghaidh rud a dhéanamh' as well.

Someone else may be better able to explain the difference. I'm not a native speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

"Roimhe seo"
    "Leis seo"
    "air seo"
    "aige seo"

Always the masculine singular, (unless we're talking about a female). Never just the preposition on its own.

Are both of these correct, and if so do they mean precisely the same thing?

"chun [rud] a fheiceáil/a dhéanamh etc"

"le [rud] a fheiceáil/a dhéanamh etc"

I would use 'chun' in the above context, but "le feiceáil/le déanamh", ach nílim cinnte an bhfuilim ceart nó mícheart agus cén fáth.

They are both correct and mean the same thing.
    'Chun' is rarely used in Donegal and in the case you mention the 'le' is exactly what is used there instead of the 'chun'.

Thanks to the three of you once again.

Staying on the "chun" structure, actually on the wider structure above. I hope I explain my problem clear here.

1) I'm going shopping = Táim ag siopadóireacht
    2) I'm going shopping = Táim ag dul chun siopadóireacht a dhéanamh (Lit. I'm going to do shopping)

First, is my literal translation of No. 2 above correct? Second, are both of these sentences using the ainm briathartha? If so, what grammatical term allows me to distinguish between both of them? If they mean the same thing, when would you use one over the other?

Third, I think I am overusing 'chun' when I write such sentences as in No. 2 above. Is it possible, indeed better Irish, to leave it out and say, for instance, "Táim ag dul siopadóireacht a dhéanamh".

Any advice will be appreciated/Bheinn buíoch díbh [duit?] as aon chomhairle.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

1) I'm going shopping = Táim ag siopadóireacht
    2) I'm going shopping = Táim ag dul chun siopadóireacht a dhéanamh (Lit. I'm going to do shopping)

I would say that number 1 above means 'I am shopping' not 'I am going shopping'.
    Third, I think I am overusing 'chun' when I write such sentences as in No. 2 above. Is it possible, indeed better Irish, to leave it out and say, for instance, "Táim ag dul siopadóireacht a dhéanamh".

That does not look right to me, I would use chun in that sentance.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Simplest thing above would be to say "Táim ag dul ag siopadóireacht".

An File wrote: »
    Simplest thing above would be to say "Táim ag dul ag siopadóireacht".

OK. That's what I would have used. However, I'm now trying to expand my Irish and fully understand why people would use, say, "ag siopadóireacht" (shopping) over "siopadóireacht a dhéanamh" (do the shopping?). Also, can one use the latter, for instance, without "chun" or "le" before it?

Would anybody know if the Irish, and English translations, of the following sentences are correct?

Bhí sé ag siopadóireacht (He was shopping)
    Bhí sé ag déanamh a chuid siopadóireachta (He was doing his shopping)
    Chuaigh sé chun a chuid siopadóireachta a dhéanamh (He went to do his shopping)
    Chuaigh sé chun siopadóireacht a dhéanamh (He went to do shopping)

I remember, I think, that after the verbal noun the word goes in the genitive case - e.g. Bhíos ag ól di (I was drinking a drink) but "Bhí sé ag déanamh oibre bhaile" (He was doing homework) doesn't look correct, although 'Bhí sé ag déanamh a chuid oibre bhaile' (He was doing his homework) sounds OK.

What are the main ways one can say "He was doing homework"?

• Advertisement

Teanga = feminine noun, according to Focal.ie.

I came across the following sentence: "D’fhoilsigh sí aistí faoi ghnéithe den aistriúchán de Dracula in Bliainiris, agus faoi ról an teanga Ghaelach sa Churaclam"

The highlighted part means "the role of the Irish language in the curriculum"? Yes? If so, why isn't the feminine noun 'teanga' preceded by 'na' rather than 'an'?

I came across the following sentence: "D’fhoilsigh sí aistí faoi ghnéithe den aistriúchán de Dracula in Bliainiris, agus faoi ról an teanga Ghaelach sa Churaclam"

The highlighted part means "the role of the Irish language in the curriculum"? Yes? If so, why isn't the feminine noun 'teanga' preceded by 'na' rather than 'an'?

Firstly 'an teanga Ghaelach' is a sign of bad Irish. It's just "Gaeilge". There is more than one "teanga Ghaelach".

Secondly, yes, you're right, grammatically speaking, it should be "ról na teanga ..."

:)

Would anybody know if the Irish, and English translations, of the following sentences are correct?

Bhí sé ag siopadóireacht (He was shopping)
    Bhí sé ag déanamh a chuid siopadóireachta (He was doing his shopping)
    Chuaigh sé chun a chuid siopadóireachta a dhéanamh (He went to do his shopping)
    Chuaigh sé chun siopadóireacht a dhéanamh (He went to do shopping)

That looks fine to me.

I remember, I think, that after the verbal noun the word goes in the genitive case - e.g. Bhíos ag ól di (I was drinking a drink) but "Bhí sé ag déanamh oibre bhaile" (He was doing homework) doesn't look correct, although 'Bhí sé ag déanamh a chuid oibre bhaile' (He was doing his homework) sounds OK.

What are the main ways one can say "He was doing homework"?

I have always said "bhí sé ag déanamh obair baile" but I'm told that doesn't fit in with the standard so you should run with "bhí sé ag déanamh obair bhaile" to comply with the caighdeán oifigiúil.
    There is a distinction to be made between 'homework' and 'work' done 'on/in the home', however the Ó Domhnaill dictionary links the standard version with 'homework'.
    Anybody else able to throw some light on this?

Yep, 'bhíos ag ól dí' is spot on, but don't be surprised if you hear 'ag ól deoch' without the genitive form. The genitive here has disappeared in Conamara Irish and even good and older native speakers in that dialect will say 'ag ól deoch' so don't let that confuse you.
    If you have or can get your hands on Ó Siadhail's 'Learning Irish', he explains this in that book.

The genitive is much easier when it comes to definite nouns but with indefinite nouns just be careful as there are different rules for different stuff.

You may already be familiar with this, but say in something like
    'ag ól deoch the'
    deoch stays in its nominative form as it is said to be qualified by an adjective. Whereas in the first phrase 'ag ól dí', deoch is an indefinite noun and is unqualified, so the genitive applies.

The Coiste Téarmaíochta has a great guide, http://www.acmhainn.ie/tearmai/seimhiu.htm, and covers a lot of ground in one place. Don't be put off if it looks a bit intimidating at first! It was Micilín Muc who posted this link in a thread I started here a while back.

The examples you gave above also throw up another thing. Cuid is said to be a partitive genitive so it is a special category.
    So with your phrase 'ag deanamh a chuid oibre bhaile' I think this section of the guide applies:
    Ainmfhocal éiginnte agus cáilitheoir faoi réir ag focail éiginnte ghinearálta
    Má ghabhann aidiacht, nó ainmfhocal sa ghinideach i gcáil aidiachta, le hainmfhocal éiginnte, moltar an t-ainmfhocal agus an aidiacht a fhágáil gan infhilleadh i ndiaidh na bhfocal saghas, sórt, cineál agus focal a bhfuil an bhrí ghinearálta cineál, méid, cuid, easpa, iomarca leo:
    sórt lá breá, go leor fíon dearg

So it should be:

'Bhí sé ag déanamh a chuid obair bhaile'

Micilín Muc is spot on there. The Irish language is translated to 'Gaeilge'.

Great page here on this topic from Ciarán Ó Duibhín:
    http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/~oduibhin/alba/ouch.htm

pog it wrote: »

Great page here on this topic from Ciarán Ó Duibhín:
    http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/~oduibhin/alba/ouch.htm

Brilliant piece pog it. Thanks for posting it.

She inspired me: Spreag sí dom? Spreag sí mise? I would have thought "do" is the preposition but no reliable online resource confirms this.

Thug sí spreagadh dom ;)

• Advertisement

Thug sí spreagadh dom ;)

Excellent. Is there any rule/pattern/guideline one can extrapolate from that? More precisely, if I can say 'D'inis sí dom', 'Dúirt siad liom" etc, why can't the verb 'spreag' begin the sentence rather than 'Thug'?

Advertisement