Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Irish Film of All Time

Options
2»

Comments

Apolloyon wrote: »
    I may be on my own with this one. But I thought 'Perrier's Bounty' was shockingly bad despite the great cast.

Perrier's Bounty is little more than a terrible Lock Stock rip off. It had a lot of potential but sadly it was poorly written, badly directed, lacked focus, squanders a terrific cast and looked like a cheap made for TV mid day movie. Much like the equally poor The Guard, people fell over themselves lining up to sing it's praises simply because it was an Irish film or because they knew someone who made sandwiches for craft services on it.

Charlie Casanova is properly going to take the crown. It's not technically the worst Irish film ever made but it is a very, very, very poor film and the director is just an absolute tosser. Really hoping that the film board don't give him tens of thousands for his next project and he just crawls back into the hole from which he came. If he could take Mark O'Connor and every copy of their films Charlie Casanova and Between the Canals the world of cinema would certainly be a better place.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I enjoyed intermission tbh.

Crushproof is a good shout, it's a terrible film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,116 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

e_e wrote: »
    Have to laugh that the top review on IMDB is by the brother of the director.

I have to laugh at the fact he only gave it eight out of ten :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Alarm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1135960/

Nothing happened, she just had a bogey alarm.... or an alarm as I'd call it. Probably a cat setting it off.

It was RTE a couple of years ago, dreadful. And not dreadful in an awesome way like Fatal Deviation.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭roryj123

Without a doubt ZONAD terrible movie looks like something a school would come up with!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Eat the Peach?

Can't even really remember it but it sounds like it should be really ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

jayteecork wrote: »
    Eat the Peach?

Can't even really remember it but it sounds like it should be really ****.

Eat the Peach is a great movie. Two lads on the dole build a wall of death out on the bog - what's not to like? It's got more depth and emotion than most of the Irish films of the last ten years.

It also had a brilliant poster:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Fatal Deviation is endlessly entertaining. "Eamon" was just awful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Oh joy of joys! I get to post Fatal Deviation twice in one day.

Just for the record I place it in the so shyte its great category.....

Is this available to buy, looks hilarious?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Isolation - genetically engineered mutant cow foetuses run amok. Desperate altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,797 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Fatal Deviation looks like it was just before its time. Now thanks to the internet it might just be time for it to shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

pookiesboo wrote: »

Whole film is on youtube in eight bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Cant believe 3 pages went by and no one mentioned "The Garage" with Pat Short.....:confused::confused::confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Cant believe 3 pages went by and no one mentioned "The Garage" with Pat Short.....:confused::confused::confused:

That's because this isn't a thread about the best Irish films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

pookiesboo wrote: »
    I read this in Ron Burgundy's voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

roryj123 wrote: »
    Without a doubt ZONAD terrible movie looks like something a school would come up with!

I thought ZONAD was hilarious for some reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

So did I, €800,000 of taxpayers' money spent on this rubbish. Then the cast sing 'I'm sorry' at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Most of these films you're mentioning I haven't seen before so I'm not the best judge, but the worst Irish film I can remember seeing is The Pier; insultingly bad, one cliché after another with no redeeming characteristics. I actually enjoyed Shrooms, it had some entertaining moments (especially "the indigenous people" who were hilarious).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The Guard

only one funny line "i thought only black lads were drug dealers?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

fryup wrote: »
    The Guard

only one funny line "i thought only black lads were drug dealers?"

I liked The Guard but as often happens it was marketed to make it seem like something it wasn't. It was made out to be an odd couple type buddy comedy but it wasn't really that, it just ended up being a slightly absurd dramedy with not all that much focus on Gleeson v. Cheadle.
    Originally Posted by Overheal viewpost.gif

Fatal Deviation looks like it was just before its time. Now thanks to the internet it might just be time for it to shine.

I watched Fatal Deviation just now. It was like a martial arts film if it were made by the crew who worked on the Bosco magic door segments, just they didn't take any fights to Dublin zoo. Fair play to James Bennett though, he had a go. It says on his IMDB that he has a (presumably small) part in the upcoming Lone Ranger film. Is this true or just a wind up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bleebtobleeb

Really hoping that the film board don't give him tens of thousands for his next project and he just crawls back into the hole from which he came. .

Looks like yourself and everyone else here commenting dont really have a ****ing clue. Please feel free to post trailers/links to your own work so we can tear you a new asshole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdmiKDmmZjo

Looks like yourself and everyone else here commenting dont really have a ****ing clue. Please feel free to post trailers/links to your own work so we can tear you a new asshole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdmiKDmmZjo

Hey Terry, you still speaking in that terrible fake American accent.

I love that attitude, "you can't judge anyone elses work without first letting us all judge yours". Utter nonsense and honestly Patrick's Day looks like a lifetime movie of the week, few people I know who saw it all agree that it's a step up from Charlie Casanova but honestly you could film a cat licking itself for 90 minutes and craft a superior film to Charlie Cassanova.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Hey Terry, you still speaking in that terrible fake American accent.

I love that attitude, "you can't judge anyone elses work without first letting us all judge yours". Utter nonsense and honestly Patrick's Day looks like a lifetime movie of the week, few people I know who saw it all agree that it's a step up from Charlie Casanova but honestly you could film a cat licking itself for 90 minutes and craft a superior film to Charlie Cassanova.

I'm disappointed, but not entirely surprised, that this seems to be the default response around here to new voices in Irish film. The vitriol levelled at the likes of McMahon & Mark O'Connor is unwarranted and I'm genuinely curious as to where it comes from. I don't want to fall back on the old cliché of Irish begrudgery - but Christ, it's difficult to see any other angle!

Charlie Casanova is not a good film by any means, but it did exactly what McMahon needed it to do and it caused enough ripples to get his next feature funded by the Film Board. Both McMahon's features have been screened at festivals all over the world and Patrick's Day will most likely follow Casanova into Irish cinemas for a limited run. His next script is already in development with the Film Board and will probably also get funding. People on this forum know how hard it is to get ahead in this industry and that's a damned good run by anyone's reckoning.

Mark O'Connor is even more impressive. He has three features under his belt. His last film, Stalker, was financed through kickstarter and made for €15,000. All of his films have made it into Irish cinemas. Again his films are not without problems but you can see a definite progression in them.

What are we expecting?? Mean Streets? Citizen Kane? Filmmakers who explode onto the scene fully-formed are the exception. Most directors hone their craft through interesting misfires.

Getting a film made at all, and into cinemas, is no mean feat and both McMahon and O'Connor have proved capable of pulling it off. Fair dues to them I say. That's not to say that their work should not be criticised - there are obvious problems with their movies - but to write off McMahon's latest work unseen, as Darko does above, smacks of mean-spiritedness.

There's a number of other young Irish directors, including Donal Foreman & Ivan Kavanagh, who have made independent Irish feature films and are on the cusp of making the breakthrough. We should be supporting these young filmmakers - and criticising their work in a constructive way - but not just knocking them for the sake of it.

The film industry in Ireland is a small pond. Here's a great quote from Harold Ramis:

" I've always found that my career happened as a result of a tremendous synergy of all the talented people I've worked with, all helping each other, all connecting, and reconnecting in different combinations. So…identify talented people around you and then instead of going into competition with them, or trying to wipe them out, make alliances, make creative friendships that allow you and your friends to grow together..."

It's great advice. The fact that young Irish filmmakers are getting movies made outside of the usual Film Board model should be an inspiration to the aspiring writers & directors on this forum.

People like McMahon and O'Connor might court the limelight, but they still went out there and made their films. They made them the way they wanted to and they didn't compromise their vision. In time to come their work will improve.

I'd say they're off to a good start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Zonad!

I'd rather cut off my own zonads then endure that pure and utter muck again

I'm disappointed, but not entirely surprised, that this seems to be the default response around here to new voices in Irish film. The vitriol levelled at the likes of McMahon & Mark O'Connor is unwarranted and I'm genuinely curious as to where it comes from. I don't want to fall back on the old cliché of Irish begrudgery - but Christ, it's difficult to see any other angle!

Charlie Casanova is not a good film by any means, but it did exactly what McMahon needed it to do and it caused enough ripples to get his next feature funded by the Film Board. Both McMahon's features have been screened at festivals all over the world and Patrick's Day will most likely follow Casanova into Irish cinemas for a limited run. His next script is already in development with the Film Board and will probably also get funding. People on this forum know how hard it is to get ahead in this industry and that's a damned good run by anyone's reckoning.

Mark O'Connor is even more impressive. He has three features under his belt. His last film, Stalker, was financed through kickstarter and made for €15,000. All of his films have made it into Irish cinemas. Again his films are not without problems but you can see a definite progression in them.

What are we expecting?? Mean Streets? Citizen Kane? Filmmakers who explode onto the scene fully-formed are the exception. Most directors hone their craft through interesting misfires.

Getting a film made at all, and into cinemas, is no mean feat and both McMahon and O'Connor have proved capable of pulling it off. Fair dues to them I say. That's not to say that their work should not be criticised - there are obvious problems with their movies - but to write off McMahon's latest work unseen, as Darko does above, smacks of mean-spiritedness.

There's a number of other young Irish directors, including Donal Foreman & Ivan Kavanagh, who have made independent Irish feature films and are on the cusp of making the breakthrough. We should be supporting these young filmmakers - and criticising their work in a constructive way - but not just knocking them for the sake of it.

The film industry in Ireland is a small pond. Here's a great quote from Harold Ramis:

" I've always found that my career happened as a result of a tremendous synergy of all the talented people I've worked with, all helping each other, all connecting, and reconnecting in different combinations. So…identify talented people around you and then instead of going into competition with them, or trying to wipe them out, make alliances, make creative friendships that allow you and your friends to grow together..."

It's great advice. The fact that young Irish filmmakers are getting movies made outside of the usual Film Board model should be an inspiration to the aspiring writers & directors on this forum.

People like McMahon and O'Connor might court the limelight, but they still went out there and made their films. They made them the way they wanted to and they didn't compromise their vision. In time to come their work will improve.

I'd say they're off to a good start.

No it's just the default response to any filmmaker who makes a bad film. There is no begrudgery involved, it wouldn't matter if McMahon or O'Conner were Korean, American, British or Spanish. What matters is the quality of the films they made and sadly their output thus far has been atrocious.

Screening at film festivals around the world is hardly an endorsement of quality, in fact there's an old industry joke that any film can win an award given that there's more festivals than films out there. The Irish film industry is incredibly insular and it's all about who you know, not what talent you have.

O'Connor has three films to his name and manages the impossible of regressing with each one. It's also a little odd how you seem to equate a limited theatrical release as being something of note or some sign of quality. We produce so little cinema here that pretty much anything can get a small release though it'll spend less than a week in cinemas and only then in the major cities or in most cases just a few token screenings in Dublin city.

I didn't write off McMahon's upcoming film, I merely stated that it looks like a lifetime movie of the week. And based on the traveler it's a fair assumption to make. It's hard to have any enthusiasm or expectation for what McMahon is coming out with based on just how poor Charlie Casanova was. It shares a similar rate with all of Mark O'Connor's work to date, in that it's fails in every conceive able manner. Their films have ben universally awful and rightly critcised.

It's also hard to warm to them given how they interact with the public and any criticism of their work. There is that infamous Live line show aswell as the letter that McMahon penned in defense of his turgid mess of a film and the manner it misquoted journalists on the poster.

You seem to view the criticism of two Irish film makers as some form of ganging up on them. As if we all had some personal vendetta against the two. It's nothing of the sort. I may not be speaking for everyone but my disdain for their work is down not due to begrudgery or any ridiculous notions lie that, it's merely due to tech fact that both filmmakers fail so miserably. McMahon has had three attempts to produce something half way decent and has failed spectacularly. King of the Travelers is one of the worst excuses for a film that I ave ever seen and Stalker was so bad that I walked out half way through even though I was given a free ticket and the director, cast and crew were present.

Notice that no one has yet mentioned Lenny Abrahamson, Gerard Barrett, Conor Horgan, Darragh Byrne, John Crowley or Ruairi Robinson when discussing Irish filmmakers who make terrible films. The reason for this is most likely down to the fact that they are interesting voices who can put together good films. What Richard Did is a terrific piece of work and alongside Pilgrim Hill are a showcase for just how Irish cinema is every bit as good as what the rest of the world produces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm not sure it has been mentioned but in my opinion it has to be Spin the Bottle. I cannot remember too much about it but I do remember thinking it was absolutely abysmal. Not funny on any level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Thread is two years old, take it to PM guys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement