Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galways best golf courses?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Tilikum wrote: »
    Because year after year they have people willing to pay it.

Exactly, supply and demand. Since they are able to get it they'd be foolish not to charge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Exactly, supply and demand. Since they are able to get it they'd be foolish not to charge it.

I think that's a fair enough statement... but it does depend on the age profile of the people joining. If they're all 50s/60s and the club isn't attracting younger members then they could be shooting themselves in the foot in the medium term.

I have no knowledge of the fee structure or age profile of Galway GC but, generally speaking, golf clubs need to balance young and old. And there can't be vast numbers of 25-35 year olds who can throw around 10K at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

I think that's a fair enough statement... but it does depend on the age profile of the people joining. If they're all 50s/60s and the club isn't attracting younger members then they could be shooting themselves in the foot in the medium term.

I have no knowledge of the fee structure or age profile of Galway GC but, generally speaking, golf clubs need to balance young and old. And there can't be vast numbers of 25-35 year olds who can throw around 10K at the moment.
    I'd say there's quite a few 25-35 year olds who were junior members. Anytime I've played there there's been a nice mix of ages although I can't say if they were all members.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Thought I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread.

I played Glenlo Abbey in May of this year and there was no way you could call it a golf course, it was a complete mess.

I went for a round there yesterday afternoon and there has been an enormous improvement in the quality of the course. The biggest improvement have been the greens. In May, you simply couldn't putt on them. Now, they are in a very respectable condition. They have a bit of a way to go but they are certainly playable.

It will be great to have an easily accessible course in town, I'll certainly be playing there in the future.

**I've no affiliation to Glenlo, just think it's important to recognise to give credit where it's due.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Thought I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread.

I played Glenlo Abbey in May of this year and there was no way you could call it a golf course, it was a complete mess.

I went for a round there yesterday afternoon and there has been an enormous improvement in the quality of the course. The biggest improvement have been the greens. In May, you simply couldn't putt on them. Now, they are in a very respectable condition. They have a bit of a way to go but they are certainly playable.

It will be great to have an easily accessible course in town, I'll certainly be playing there in the future.

**I've no affiliation to Glenlo, just think it's important to recognise to give credit where it's due.

I have never played this course but had always heard it was a bit of a dump etc. However Gary Madden took over the running of the range and course there at the start of the year and he's a seriously good pro and apparently it's come on in leaps and bounds since so I'd say you're not alone in this opinion.

I must give it a crack sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Greens completely relaid in Glenlo. Tee boxes relaid. New flags, signs, markers, fixtures and fittings. All done to highest standard. Reverted to a nine hole course from a dual green 18 hole course. Course cleaned up in general.

This will be an exclusive golf course in two years.

The first par three out onto the Corrib is IMO the most visually attractive hole in Galway.

I picked up cheap membership there this year for practcing in the evenings when I'm working in town, but have no connection with Glenlo. My home club us Tuam

• Registered Users Posts: 47 aquane69

Cregmore is only €400 to join this year (according to their website)

Is it worth it?

I have heard that it is not as well maintained as it should be!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

aquane69 wrote: »

Is it worth it?

Not often I am brutal in comments but that is a hole of a place IMHO, our society got a good price and played it a few years back, never again, we were given a 4ball as a prize and no one would take it for free even!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Is it worth it?

I'm a member and in my opinion it's not terribly well maintained. The back 9 should be closed as it's a complete bog. However, it remains open and is getting cut up worse and worse every day. We're talking heavy standing water on large parts of most fairways. I drove the 15th fairway recently and the ball was completely buried rather than plugged. I nearly needed a shovel to retrieve the ball! The front 9 is in decent enough nick for this time of year though.

It is worth it? Probably. For me the pros are; it's cheap, once the weather improves the condition of the course will improve a lot and it's a decent track for the money, by and large it's a very friendly club and it's not too busy - you'll generally always be accommodated even if you're not on the time sheet.

I don't intend renewing my membership next year. Think I'll make the move to Oughterard. It's €450, which is phenomenal value IMO as it's a beautiful course with good facilities. Plus Oughterard make more geographical sense for me now.

If you're living around town I think Glenlo is good value at the minute. Their membership is €395 and there have been huge improvement in the course over the last few months. I'd consider joining but I prefer an 18 hole to a 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Is it worth it?

I have been a member there the last couple of years, and I'd agree with what others have said. I like it because it's very laid back/friendly, and I'm still useless so the forgiving nature of the layout is good for me. They've struggled with drainage I think, but even that has improved since I first joined. In summary, I'd recommend it for someone who isn't too picky, and especially those who live nearby. Better golfers might not like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I don't intend renewing my membership next year. Think I'll make the move to Oughterard. It's €450, which is phenomenal value IMO as it's a beautiful course with good facilities. Plus Oughterard make more geographical sense for me now.

If you're living around town I think Glenlo is good value at the minute. Their membership is €395 and there have been huge improvement in the course over the last few months. I'd consider joining but I prefer an 18 hole to a 9.

I'm a member on Oughterard so I'd definately recommend it. The new member deal is great value @ €450. Not sure if it will be there again next year Ronnie so you might be better signing up this year if you have not already commited to Cregmore.
    If either of you want a trial run pm me and I'll try and organise a green fee for you

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

Lambasted wrote: »
    I've been playing now for a year and a half. So far I've played athenry, barna, Galway bay, cregmore, glenlo abbey, loughrea, Connemara isles (long time ago). Would like to play ballyconneely and salthill this year.

Anyone care to help me put galway,s courses in order of quality? Or any recommendations? I hear portumna is nice too.

My rankings from best to worst 1. Galway bay
    2. Loughrea
    3. Barna
    4. Athenry
    5. Cregmore (was really wet and soft when I played,I'm sure it's nice in summer)
    6. Con isles (long time ago, only 9 holes)
    7. Glenlo abbey

Don't just limit yourself to Golf in Galway. Try out few different counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Sean_pop wrote: »
    Don't just limit yourself to Golf in Galway. Try out few different counties.

This is a thread about golf in galway though - AND the OP posted nearly 2 years ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

I stand corrected.

Did not read post properly!!!

Advertisement