Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galways best golf courses?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Fair enough - no need to be rude about it. We all have our opinions. I wouldn't agree with your list either but evidently we work on different criteria.

Someone emailed me the other day saying that Loughrea should be 3rd on the list, someone else said Bearna was a dump. Everyone has an opinion and most people would disagree over any top 10.

I did post my rationale for why Loughrea didn't make the top 10 (in reply to Wombatman's query) but Boards went down for maintenance and my post disappeared. I'm told it should be reinstated. Wombatman may have an email of it.

Apologies if I was a bit rude, as you say no one will ever agree exactly but I just really can't see the logic in ranking them the way you have here.

I look forward to seeing your rationale for leaving out Loughrea actually as I think it should be a definite to be in the top 10

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tinman09

First nine in Lougrea is average, athenry is not difficult if you're straight off the tee, years since I played Connemara so I can't judge the new 9. I'd have GB first, portumna, Galway. Obviously Connemara could jump in there I'm aiming to play it next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of lists in general when I look at them I'll normally just change it into Divisions. I'd never say no to a game of golf so I'd categorise as such

Division 1 - Must play
    Division 2 - Def Play
    Division 3 - Play if you get the chance
    Division 4 - Avoid if you have an alternative
    I'd also throw in My Favourite & Least Favourite

There is often little or nothing between courses in each division & really the preferences are just up to an indivuals taste.

Oh the courses I've played in Galway:
    Division 1 - Both Galways, Portumna & Connemara
    Division 2 - Oughterard, Athenry
    Division 3 - Bearna, Cregmore, Tuam
    Division 4 - Glenlo

Favourite: Portumna, played for the first time this yr, lovely relaxing ambience, deer wandering around, some lovely holes and a Nice challenge and a fair test.

Least Fav: Glenlo, been years since I played it maybe its improved since but it was a very wet day, wasnt well maintained at the time and i didnt enjoy the round.

Yet to play so can't comment: Curra west,Dunmore,Ballinasloe,Connemara isles,Mountbellew,Loughrea,Gort

For Info I'm a member in Oughterard

Galway Lad,

I'd also say that this is an exaggeration, for Oughterard anyway:

"3 of those courses (Balinasloe, Ougtherard and Bearna) are virtually unplayable for half the year because they drain so badly."

Unless there is extreme weather the course is always playable.
    Like most Parkland courses in the west of Ireland it will be soft in the Winter months. A couple of holes 6,7 & 16 can suffer patches of standing / casual water but it is most definately "playable"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Fair enough - no need to be rude about it. We all have our opinions. I wouldn't agree with your list either but evidently we work on different criteria.

Someone emailed me the other day saying that Loughrea should be 3rd on the list, someone else said Bearna was a dump. Everyone has an opinion and most people would disagree over any top 10.

I did post my rationale for why Loughrea didn't make the top 10 (in reply to Wombatman's query) but Boards went down for maintenance and my post disappeared. I'm told it should be reinstated. Wombatman may have an email of it.

Nope. No email here. Would love to here your rationale though.

• Advertisement

Wombatman wrote: »
    Nope. No email here. Would love to here your rationale though.

Same here definitley. The more I think about that list the more it seems like there could be other factors at play in deciding that list apart from the quality of the golf courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

I've read these pages for a good while now but never had much interest in posting until now. Lads, that list is brutal, I'd have played all the courses in galway and I actually can't believe anyone would rank them in the way he has done.

Given that we live in Ireland I think surely how the course drains and plays in wet weather has to be an important factor. 3 of those courses (Balinasloe, Ougtherard and Bearna) are virtually unplayable for half the year because they drain so badly. Ougtherard is a nice course and Barna is a decent track when it's dry but Balinasloe is a mickey mouse course anyway in my opinion aswell as having its drainage problems.

Galway Bay is the best course by a good margin I think. So many great holes there. Portumna is a good course but if it wasn't for the 17th (which in fairness is one of the best holes in Ireland) then I reckon it would just about make the top 10 so can't really see a justification for it being first.

I must confess I've only played Ballyconneely once but it is a fine course. Galway is somewhere I'd be very familiar with and is a good course although I always think if you get your driving right it's handy enough from there on, has very big welcoming greens that are always a pleasure to putt on.

Athenry is a nice course always in great nick and in a great location although it can be a bit mundane and the lack a bit of space down there or something.

Loughrea, Tuam and Gort are all solid courses that are always maintained well. All 3 are a good challenge and would both deserve to be in the top 10. Cregmore Park I find it hard to make much of a case for. It's very wide and generally not enough of a challenge I think. Maybe in 10 years time when the whole palce is a bit more mature it might be a decent course but not now.

I think I've gone through them all so I'd probably rank them like this:

1 Galway Bay
    2 Galway
    3 Ballyconneely (though I'd really need to play it again to give a proper opinion)
    4 Portumna
    5 Athenry
    6 Ougtherard
    7 Loughrea
    8 Gort
    9 Bearna
    10 Tuam

To say Oughterard is unplayable for half the year is a Joke, it's in play pretty much the same as most courses, there are 3 holes 5, 6 and 7 that are often closed in the winter but it's more to do with making room on the time sheet for members firing winter hours in competitions. Most clubs have similar senarios. It might have more to do with your inability to master the course, it's a good challenge and well maintained and is right up there in the top 5, Barna is way too high on the list and should be in bottom 3.

1 Galway bay
    2 Connemara
    3 Portumna
    4 Galway
    5 Oughterard
    6 Athenry
    7 Gort
    8 Tuam
    9 Barna
    10 Cregmore

Glenlo €350 for next year. Under new management. Course undergoing redesign. New pro. New head green keeper. Some details here http://www.glenloabbeyhotel.ie/en/golf-resort-galway/

Lads,
    Anyone know if the driving range in Glenlo is open and if so what are the opening hours

Goldenjohn wrote: »
    Lads,
    Anyone know if the driving range in Glenlo is open and if so what are the opening hours

It is open but is is in rag order and due to be refurbished soon. Mats are like boards. In winter the guy is only there during daylight hours.

Go to Salthill. Open around 10:30-9:30.

It is open but is is in rag order and due to be refurbished soon. Mats are like boards. In winter the guy is only there during daylight hours.

Go to Salthill. Open around 10:30-9:30.

Thanks Wombat, usually use salthill but need to do some work on driver, just gonna have to get to the course when its quiet & do it there.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Thanks Wombat, usually use salthill but need to do some work on driver, just gonna have to get to the course when its quiet & do it there.

Cheers

Shameless too long for Salthill brag disguised as request for help :D

Shameless too long for Salthill brag disguised as request for help :D

Its the poor people in the caravan park who are in most danger !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭RonnieL

If you live in the city and can afford it there is imo only one choice ...galway golf club. . . .If its a choice between galway bay or athenry i'd go GB...enjoy choosing all great courses.

Last time I saw figures (this time last year I believe), membership in Galway involved a 10 grand sign up fee. Is that still the case? I'm guessing that will put most off.

I believe Athenry have gotten rid of their up front fee this year. Details are on their website. I'm a member in Cregmore, which is perfect for me because I'm rubbish, so the forgiveness it offers is very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭popepaisley1

1 Galway Bay
    2 Galway
    3 Ballyconneely (though I'd really need to play it again to give a proper opinion)
    4 Portumna
    5 Athenry
    6 Ougtherard
    7 Loughrea
    8 Gort
    9 Bearna
    10 Tuam

i dont know why people go on about galway so much. its a fine course, but there are heaps of parkland courses like it. the first 4 holes have always been a problem. there just isn't enough space. in fact its the problem with galway for the whole course. it has a great location, is full to the brim with members, yet it doesnt have any room to expand, and if they could they would. while there is nothing wrong with galway there is nothing that makes it special either - other than the air of exclusivity coming from some of the members!

i think the list in the city tribune is a better reflection of the best courses in galway. its great to see portumna right at the top. it really is a smashing course, and one that not many people would know of. personally i would like to see galway bay joint first with them instead of connemara. but there can be no doubt as to the top 3. its nice to see bearna up there too. on its day its hard to beat. i'd say a top 5 list would have been better. once you get down further on the list there really are some courses that don't deserve to be on any list. in fairness some of the 9 holes would be better than them!

RonnieL wrote: »
    Last time I saw figures (this time last year I believe), membership in Galway involved a 10 grand sign up fee. Is that still the case? I'm guessing that will put most off.

I believe Athenry have gotten rid of their up front fee this year. Details are on their website. I'm a member in Cregmore, which is perfect for me because I'm rubbish, so the forgiveness it offers is very welcome.

pretty sure that is still the case.....minimum entry level fee to the illuminati :D

to be fair, there is a waiting list of people wanting to join there so they would be very silly not to charge it. im sure that if any other golf courses could charge it they would. luckily for galway they still can

i dont know why people go on about galway so much. its a fine course, but there are heaps of parkland courses like it. the first 4 holes have always been a problem. there just isn't enough space. in fact its the problem with galway for the whole course. it has a great location, is full to the brim with members, yet it doesnt have any room to expand, and if they could they would. while there is nothing wrong with galway there is nothing that makes it special either - other than the air of exclusivity coming from some of the members!

i think the list in the city tribune is a better reflection of the best courses in galway. its great to see portumna right at the top. it really is a smashing course, and one that not many people would know of. personally i would like to see galway bay joint first with them instead of connemara. but there can be no doubt as to the top 3. its nice to see bearna up there too. on its day its hard to beat. i'd say a top 5 list would have been better. once you get down further on the list there really are some courses that don't deserve to be on any list. in fairness some of the 9 holes would be better than them!

Ah come off it, Galway GC has the best greens in Galway which is a huge factor and there's great variety to the holes. I actually don't think it's an overly difficult course but it's still a joy to play and I'd have it second only to Galway Bay which really is a top class track.

Ah come off it, Galway GC has the best greens in Galway which is a huge factor and there's great variety to the holes. I actually don't think it's an overly difficult course but it's still a joy to play and I'd have it second only to Galway Bay which really is a top class track.

dont get me wrong...its a perfectly nice course, very well manicured, but in terms of quality it is way behind, for example, portumna. its not a very challenging course. a lot of holes you are using the same clubs. a drive and then a 8 or 9 to the green. because it is so tight there isn't a whole lot to think about. i was actually a member of galway for years. i do still go back to it, as it is quite close to me. but i do find it hard to get a game there. must be a pain in the arse for the members to play a casual round at the weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Galway is far ahead of Portumna for me. Bar the 17th no hole really stands out there for me.

Ya I wouldnt be mad on Portumna either. To me it's just the same level as Gort/Loughrea/Tuam and it's just the superb 17th that would put it ahead of those places. I find the greens there often aren't super and some of the holes seem a bit mickey mouse. But don't get me wrong, still a very decent course

h2005 wrote: »
    Galway is far ahead of Portumna for me. Bar the 17th no hole really stands out there for me.

i really can't think of any signature holes in galway. if you had a list of the best 18 holes in galway i don't think there would be that many there on it. as i said before, it is in immaculate condition. it probably has more staff there to maintain it than anywhere else in the county - and they do a great job. but in terms of being a great parkland course...there is nothing really that makes it a special experience.

• Advertisement

i really can't think of any signature holes in galway. if you had a list of the best 18 holes in galway i don't think there would be that many there on it. as i said before, it is in immaculate condition. it probably has more staff there to maintain it than anywhere else in the county - and they do a great job. but in terms of being a great parkland course...there is nothing really that makes it a special experience.

5th and 6th are class holes I think, especially the 6th usually played into the gale is a beast and a par there is always good. I like the 16th too.

But ya I agree that I don't think galway is an actual outstanding golf course but I'd still have it as the second best in Galway because of it's greens and also I love the fact that you can stand on every tee and see exactly whats in front of you, very few blind shots and tricks to it. Others however may view my second point there as a negative and may consider that to be boring

5th and 6th are class holes I think, especially the 6th usually played into the gale is a beast and a par there is always good. I like the 16th too.

But ya I agree that I don't think galway is an actual outstanding golf course but I'd still have it as the second best in Galway because of it's greens and also I love the fact that you can stand on every tee and see exactly whats in front of you, very few blind shots and tricks to it. Others however may view my second point there as a negative and may consider that to be boring

There are plenty blind holes, 7, 8, 10, 12, 15, 17

7,15 and 17 are blind. Not really sure you could call 8, 10 and 12 blind. 8 has the narrow drive onto the awkward shaped fairway but I wouldn't call it blind. 10 isn't blind unless you're playing a massive draw shot around the corner and 12, I know you have to hit the 2nd shot over a couple of trees but I wouldn't call it blind at the same time, easy enough have to have a good idea of where it went.

7,15 and 17 are blind. Not really sure you could call 8, 10 and 12 blind. 8 has the narrow drive onto the awkward shaped fairway but I wouldn't call it blind. 10 isn't blind unless you're playing a massive draw shot around the corner and 12, I know you have to hit the 2nd shot over a couple of trees but I wouldn't call it blind at the same time, easy enough have to have a good idea of where it went.

I always find myself having to walk to the top of the hill on 8 to see where the flag is and back down to my bag for a club, maybe I'm a shorter hitter than most. I actually think I may have over rated it in my ratings, it's definately hyped up, there's also a noticeable snobbery there but some nice people as well!

Shady Tady wrote: »
    I always find myself having to walk to the top of the hill on 8 to see where the flag is and back down to my bag for a club, maybe I'm a shorter hitter than most. I actually think I may have over rated it in my ratings, it's definately hyped up, there's also a noticeable snobbery there but some nice people as well!

in fairness most people are fine there, but there are certainly a few that have got some notions of themselves. i was a junior member there and i have to say we were treated like crap!

its a grand wee course but as you say yourself its definitely hyped up. its the members themselves who do it. if i paid 10 grand to join a place i'd be hyping it up for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jwalsh1980

Why is Galway 10k to join? You have courses like Galway Bay and Athenry where you can join for under a grand. €10k for golf sounds outrageous. I could understand maybe the K club charging this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

in fairness most people are fine there, but there are certainly a few that have got some notions of themselves. i was a junior member there and i have to say we were treated like crap!

Interesting and possibly deserving of a tread of it's own but care to share your experiences? Was it a case of too many members in general for a limited number of tee times and juniors not allocated any peak slots?
    Most clubs appear to treat their juniors with respect and offer additional benefits such as coaching sessions so I wouldn't have expected any less from Galway. It's an old club which is bound to have a number of junior members progressing to full members each year and well as existing junior members having their parents as full members in the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Interesting and possibly deserving of a tread of it's own but care to share your experiences? Was it a case of too many members in general for a limited number of tee times and juniors not allocated any peak slots?
    Most clubs appear to treat their juniors with respect and offer additional benefits such as coaching sessions so I wouldn't have expected any less from Galway. It's an old club which is bound to have a number of junior members progressing to full members each year and well as existing junior members having their parents as full members in the club.

I'm guessing it's age dependent. When I was a junior - 30 years ago - my club didn't have a lot of time for us either. These days there are programmes and training and teams and special deals because the club appreciates their value - both to golf and to the success of the club. Back then, juniors were simply a nuisance.

I'm guessing it's age dependent. When I was a junior - 30 years ago - my club didn't have a lot of time for us either. These days there are programmes and training and teams and special deals because the club appreciates their value - both to golf and to the success of the club. Back then, juniors were simply a nuisance.

Golf by its nature can be a selfish game, many members accept juniors in theory but don't tolerate them on the course, it's very short sighted and now that clubs are looking around and nearly begging people to join their clubs they suddenly see them as potential full members and see their value! It annoys me to hear people talk of all the practice Harrington put in on stackstown as a junior and how it paid off and yet the same people whing in the club bar about a junior hitting two ball on the green! Do I come across as being bitter cause I am!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

jwalsh1980 wrote: »
    Why is Galway 10k to join? You have courses like Galway Bay and Athenry where you can join for under a grand. €10k for golf sounds outrageous. I could understand maybe the K club charging this.

Because year after year they have people willing to pay it.

Advertisement