Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing Belt

Options
  • 18-01-2009 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi there i have an opel astra 99 with about 118k on the clock miles. Was wondering when the timing belt should be replaced? See the previous owner had a whole load of stuff done to it 6 months ago but lost the reciept and they only done 11k in the car. Im assuming it was done then or when they got it 11k ago as they look after there cars alot well the previous owner did. And also would it last another 3 weeks and about 2000 miles til i come back from the uk to get it done? Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I say if you're in doubt have it looked at. But I'd say if the previous owner had a lot of work done to it the Timing Belt would/should have been top of their priorities. It's recommended that it's done every 60,000km. Check in the engine bay, there should be a cover to the side of the block, usually mechanics write the last time the timing belt was done on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭sammy657

I have noticed near the filler cap on the engine block it does say 106k so im assuming this is it? cos i was wondering why that was there for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

sammy657 wrote: »
    Hi there i have an opel astra 99 with about 118k on the clock miles. Was wondering when the timing belt should be replaced? See the previous owner had a whole load of stuff done to it 6 months ago but lost the reciept and they only done 11k in the car. Im assuming it was done then or when they got it 11k ago as they look after there cars alot well the previous owner did. And also would it last another 3 weeks and about 2000 miles til i come back from the uk to get it done? Many thanks
    And I lost my Winning Euromillians ticket last week... :rolleyes:

Seriously though anyone can write "106k" in tip-ex

Don't take anything for granted here or it'll cost you. With your cars regular (10k) service your mechanic should be able to spot a failing timing belt. They rarely snap without forewarning. Timing belts in 98-04 Astra's are the weak spot though. They have a tendency of packing in after 30-40k.

Nah its on the timing belt cover side and its in felt tip says 106k and something after that cant make it out tho. Surely it will last another 2k till i come bk from the uk and have the money to do it? How much they usually cost in 98 to 04 astras?

Nah its on the timing belt cover side and its in felt tip says 106k and something after that cant make it out tho. Surely it will last another 2k till i come bk from the uk and have the money to do it? How much they usually cost in 98 to 04 astras?
    I have a felt tip pen too :rolleyes:
    Oh I'm sure it'll be fine for another 30k miles + provided it was changed. I'm just saying that you should make a point of getting an inspection with every service. :)

Asking how long a timing belt on an Astra lasts for is like asking how long is a piece of string

• Advertisement

True i spose im certain it was done tho because it was a very well looked after car was serviced every 6 months. How easy is it to check for a garage for the timing belt? 10 min job?

True i spose im certain it was done tho because it was a very well looked after car was serviced every 6 months. How easy is it to check for a garage for the timing belt? 10 min job?
    Leave it with a competent mechanic for 10mins yeah. A visual inspection should suffice check for excessive wear, tightness and make sure the engine runs/idles smoothly without any unusual knocking/rattling etc.

Ah thats grand i will ask him tomorrow when i go to collect it to check it there and then or tuesday for me. How much are they usually including a water pump plus labour to change? Is it easy for them to take the cover off to check it? I think it was the same fella who done it before so i will ask if he wrote 106k on it and remember if he changed it because he done all the cars from who i bought it off of and hes only over the road

Ah thats grand i will ask him tomorrow when i go to collect it to check it there and then or tuesday for me. How much are they usually including a water pump plus labour to change? Is it easy for them to take the cover off to check it? I think it was the same fella who done it before so i will ask if he wrote 106k on it and remember if he changed it because he done all the cars from who i bought it off of and hes only over the road
    Theres hardly much need to check it in already if youve just bought it. But it wouldn't be any harm in asking them. It's about €5-600 with an indy for TB change, it's not an engine out job AFAIK

Well i bought it off my gf's cousin and they always look after there cars plus the garage is about a min walk from them. They proberly had it done at 106k which is what it says near the timing belt side of the engine. But i will get them to check the belt or perhaps the guy remembers as he knows my gf's cousin very well so he might remember doing it. Would i hear any unusual sounds before it does go or anything like erratic idleing etc or misfirring? Because i heard no sounds or anything the engine ticked over smoothly

• Advertisement

600 for a timing belt change? Is it very hard on a 99 astra then?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

600 for a timing belt change? Is it very hard on a 99 astra then?

Someone here got a quote recently from an Opel dealer of about €390 for the timing belt + water pump change on an Astra.

Here you go:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055462624

So im looking at like 200 for the parts plus an hours labour? Like i said someone has wrote 106k on the engine next to the belt cover do you think this is when it was last done?

The timing belt kit (spurious) is about €100. €290 is an extremely good quote. You're looking at about 3-4hrs for the job. Depends greatly on where you go

Is it harder on these engines then than others? Well if its done 118k its surely been done quite recently hasnt it?

Oh yeah check your service book for intervals. I don't know if the engines are hard on TBs. I've had friends with astras have them break before (both 1.2). One 1000miles after the interval and one at just 30k miles. It all depends really. You should hear/notice it going a couple of thousand miles beforehand.

Ah i see mate what sounds should i start to hear or what should i start to notice before they do go? Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭McGaz23

I Just bought an 01 astra and had to get some things done, the timing belt has to be done on them every 40000 miles. i paid 450 euro in a local garage rang an opel garage to get a quote and they told me it'd cost 490 ex/vat

Advertisement