Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to roll out 1Gb/s FTTH to 66 towns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

There are a load of new videos on the Eircom Wholesale site, some about the Belcarra FTTH trials. Most are about their VDSL rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

As it stands, there doesn't need to be a fix. Slow broadband isn't going to kill them and they put themsevles in this predicament, now they want the urban tax-payer to bail them out and if they don't, they'll logon to Boards.ie and present poorly-thought-out arguments about how they are entitled the high speed internet despite them being subsidized by both urban customers and urban tax-payers.
    Like when they were pumping a lot of rural water up to dublin?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

/\/ollog wrote: »

Yup, all Dublin water should come from directly under O'Connell Bridge. (mind boggles)
    Irish people really need to get over the GAA shirt and Dublin vs Down the Country mentality.
    It applies to far too many issues here and often screws up planning and infrastructure provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Yup, all Dublin water should come from directly under O'Connell Bridge. (mind boggles)
    Irish people really need to get over the GAA shirt and Dublin vs Down the Country mentality.
    It applies to far too many issues here and often screws up planning and infrastructure provision.

You guize has all the best water treatment plants and all the investment, since you has all the population.

broadband is becoming an important part of life for everyone in our country, just like water and electricity, we should work on a network to provide it, even if we're not the ones using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

murphaph wrote: »
    Let's be honest with ourselves here. The problem is not living in rural Ireland, it's living in one off and/or ribbon development. Broadband can't be cost effectively deployed to such properties. It can be cost effectively deployed to rural towns and villages. Are you really going to suggest to me that all the people in all the houses in this map need to live 100 metres or more from their next door neighbours? If all those people lived (even in the same size properties with the same amount of land) in a cluster around the center of that map, they'd all have 100Mbps broadband by the end of next year at the latest. FACT! As it is, perhaps 10% of those premises will get anything near that and the rest will be on a sliding scale down to dial up. Are you going to defend the indefensible and tell me that all those people NEED to have built those modern properties there and couldn't have built them in a cluster around the existing "village" centre?
    But, planners have taken this on board, whatever about the implementation. You are still left with the existing stock of one-off properties. You can make an argument that these communities, through lack of development, ultimately impose a greater burden on 'urban' communities. The question is whether there is a good return on investing on good internet for that type of housing. If it's not a good investment, then you can talk of it as subsidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

October 2014 - http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/news/eircom_Wholesale_to_Offer_Gigabit_Broadband_Speeds/
    eircom announces plans to introduce speeds of up to 1Gbps (1,000Mbps). FTTH rollout to commence in November in Letterkenny, Kilkenny City and Cavan Town. Also announces construction of rural FTTH technical trial in Belcarra, Mayo. Now estimates 1.6 million premises will be reached six months early by mid-2016.

I haven't heard anything about the mentioned towns receiving FTTH yet. So when will it begin rolling out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

Manc Red wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything about the mentioned towns receiving FTTH yet. So when will it begin rolling out?

August 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

murphaph wrote: »

Take a look at our neighbours in Great Britain on google maps and tell me why they don't seem to have the same development patterns if so many people NEED to live in these types of properties

I will tell you ;-)

You're overlooking the way small holdings (West of the Shannon) differed in Ireland compared to Britain. Historically there are more small farms in Ireland and therein lies the answer. People ended up living where they do in rural areas as they owned a number of fields leading to clusters of farm houses near their land. They couldn't afford to move to a town to manage it remotely back then - both from a time factor (Donkey/cart travelling and monetary). They aren't going to do that now.

In England farmers tended to have larger fields and had more money. They hired hands (from towns) to do the work and those hands lived on the farmland when there was work. There was not the 'farm family' as here. Years ago those farmers also bought other farmers land and expanded, therefore owning more land and as such there are less properties per sq mile as people did not have land to tend - no ribbon development.

This all happened in England many years ago, whereas in Ireland it was in the last 20-30 yrs leading to ribbon development as family of farmers settled and farmers sold land to builders in the boom time....

Hackery wrote: »
    August 2015

where did you hear this?

• Advertisement

MBSnr wrote: »
    I will tell you ;-)

You're overlooking the way small holdings (West of the Shannon) differed in Ireland compared to Britain. Historically there are more small farms in Ireland and therein lies the answer. People ended up living where they do in rural areas as they owned a number of fields leading to clusters of farm houses near their land. They couldn't afford to move to a town to manage it remotely back then - both from a time factor (Donkey/cart travelling and monetary). They aren't going to do that now.

In England farmers tended to have larger fields and had more money. They hired hands (from towns) to do the work and those hands lived on the farmland when there was work. There was not the 'farm family' as here. Years ago those farmers also bought other farmers land and expanded, therefore owning more land and as such there are less properties per sq mile as people did not have land to tend - no ribbon development.

This all happened in England many years ago, whereas in Ireland it was in the last 20-30 yrs leading to ribbon development as family of farmers settled and farmers sold land to builders in the boom time....
    Your last paragraph is the actual explanation. The overwhelming majority of one off properties are not occupied by people who actually work the land. It's all down to a lack of planning control. Even within Ireland you have differences between say north county Dublin and Cavan because planning was and is no problem in Cavan whereas Fingal are very strict on whole thing.

We can blame the English for lots of things but McMansion development in Celtic Tiger Ireland is absolutely not one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

where did you hear this?

It's in the eircom Wholesale Product Roadmap. Can't link to it but a google search will find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I would find the planning of Fingal to be very substandard, just look at the road and estate layout of their county town and the water issues that have plagued non-coastal parts of north Co. Dublin. In fairness to Cavan Co Co, many new housing over the last 10 years have been in housing estates within villages and towns. Like in Shercock. Though that one was also built on low-lying marshy ground and could be a flood plain for all I know! But in general, village development is far superior to simply scattering houses across the countryside as I've seen more so in Louth and Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Hackery wrote: »
    It's in the eircom Wholesale Product Roadmap. Can't link to it but a google search will find it.

From the November 2014 version of the above -
    "A new FTTH variant is proposed that will provide higher Broadband speed to customers. The proposed FTTH speeds are 150M, 300M and 1G. The FTTH footprint will also increase from Wexford and Sandyford to 66 other towns around Ireland".

No sign of it or ESB/Vodafone FTTH rollout in Letterkenny yet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In a newspaper article a few days ago, the Eircom CEO said this will be a premium product with a premium price.

It sounds like they only plan on rolling it out on demand and it sounds like it will be significantly more expensive then Eircoms existing broadband products and also probably ESB's FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

bk wrote: »
    In a newspaper article a few days ago, the Eircom CEO said this will be a premium product with a premium price.

It sounds like they only plan on rolling it out on demand and it sounds like it will be significantly more expensive then Eircoms existing broadband products and also probably ESB's FTTH.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/eircom-to-offer-extra-fast-fibre-broadband-1.1978690

If this is the case they are shooting themselves in the foot. In my case the present connecton to the cab runs 170 metres underground to a distribution pole about 15 metres from the house. I would wonder how genuine eircom are with this FTTH add-on. To my mind it would make far more sense if they took the "Sky" route with this and waited 'till ESB/Vodafone did their roll-out and just piggy-backed off that.

Whatever happens we will have to play the usual wait and see game. My initial 18 month efibre contract runs out in April. Despite some problems recently it has proven reliable and fast enough for my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

I really can't see anyone paying a premium to go from 100MB to 150MB or 300MB as would be the case for myself. I can see how charging a premium for 1GB might make sense for now but only until the ESB fibre is available.

I would have paid a premium to go from 8MB to 100MB like I did with VDSL but an upgrade from 100MB to 300MB is not really going to make much difference to the average user.

bk wrote: »

Not for long. They will soon be forced by commercial pressure to charge around the same as UPC (who can easily go to 500Mbps) or ESB. They won't have any choice. VDSL was not really their choice either, UPC forced their hand, and they will force it again. Great stuff for the consumer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

^^^

I agree with what everyone is saying above. I'm just relaying what I read.

I agree that in time competition will force them to price it reasonably. However I do believe this initial FTTH rollout is actually an incredibly limited "me too" rollout and not a true widespread FTTH rollout like the current FTTC rollout has been.

I think the issue is that they want to sweat the FTTC assets for a few years before they get involved in a serious FTTH rollout.

I hope I'm wrong on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Eircom are just following the BT playbook for the UK - FTTH is a premium product. What's so unusual is their bullishness about it for the NBP. No UK equivalent for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

KOR101 wrote: »
    Eircom are just following the BT playbook for the UK - FTTH is a premium product. What's so unusual is their bullishness about it for the NBP. No UK equivalent for that.

That's because they could get 500mill subsidising it plus assurance of a rural monopoly (albeit an open access one) for the next 20 or more years.

Regardless of who gets the rural FTTH contract, the sale of the physical network should be banned. Have we learned nothing from the past? Eircom's CEO wanting to keep a rural FTTH network in private hands is a massive red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Speedtest from the eircom FTTH trial in Belcarra, Co Mayo, taken today.

4124257639.png

The setup is configured for a theoretical max of 950Mb/s, so getting pretty close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

csd wrote: »

4124257639.png

The setup is configured for a theoretical max of 950Mb/s, so getting pretty close.

All ye Mayo and Cavan lads can fe*k off :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

yuloni wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Sorry, no. However, the router is the standard Zyxel one used for VDSL, which connects to a Huawei ONT about the size of a paperback book. The latter bridges the fibre GPON connection to a standard RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet port.

/csd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

That's because they could get 500mill subsidising it plus assurance of a rural monopoly (albeit an open access one) for the next 20 or more years.

Regardless of who gets the rural FTTH contract, the sale of the physical network should be banned. Have we learned nothing from the past? Eircom's CEO wanting to keep a rural FTTH network in private hands is a massive red flag.
    The government won't keep it more likely open access and I say who build it would own it but other operators can use it.It like the EBS and Vodafone deal the EBS own the network and Vodafone look after it.I don't think government would want to own it because they would have to fix faults and use tax payers money.

Shouldn't FTTH have a ping from 1 - 5ms at most?

If it's pure fibre then shouldn't there be almost no delay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I was wondering this myself. The ping seems a bit high.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Edge routers, internal core switching and distance. He's bouncing off Dublin from Cavan so there'll be at least 6 hops in between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

csd wrote: »

4124257639.png

Is this your connection?

Have many signed up for the trial?

Advertisement