Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time Travel In Relation To The Past ?

Options
  • 10-08-2014 7:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭

If you ask a scientist/physicist the question now... do they believe time travel will be a possibility in the future ? most will say yes, but in the far future. The problem they will say though is that time travel back in time is a problem of course, maybe.
    Think of going back in time but two or three or many forks of different pasts open up and you could end up in a similar past almost the same but slightly different.

Now, if most scientists/physicists believe it is possible in the future to create a time machine that can go back to the past of these similar fork dimensional realities, wouldn't that mean a time machine exists now ?.

Think of it. If science says that building a time machine is possible in the far future that can travel back in time... wouldn't that mean it exists now at this time if it came back to this time in space of where we are now ?.

If a time machine exists that can travel back to any time in space, then basically it exists now even though it was created many hundreds of years in the future.

What do you think ?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

We'll only ever be able to travel back to the time when the time machine was invented, so the person who invents it won't be able to go anywhere. (well, when he turns it on, steps inside, and waits 60 mins, he'll have travelled an hour into the future, but then he can go back an hour from there)

No. If the time machine was built 1,000 years in the future of which had the capability of travelling back in time then it's a different ballgame in relation to your comment.

But who is to say this would be the case ?. Some say that past present and future exists all at one time but forks of passage to the past could be irregular as in different dimensional shifts regarding time, as hard as that is to envision.
    But lets think outside the box for a minute. If a time machine has the capability of travelling forward and backwards in time no matter how far in the future it was built, wouldn't that mean a time machine could be visiting us now from the far future ?.

If it could go back to any time in the past, then why could it not visit us at this time even though it doesn't exist now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There was a documentary on about this last night, they think a kid travelled back in time to the 1950s but he actually met his parents and his mother fell in love with him, it seemed to be quite the adventure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

What scientists are you talking about? Physicists?

I'd say most would say travelling into the past was practically impossible. In theory yes but would involve all the energy in the universe type of impractical theory.

It may be possible to travel into the future by using close to the speed of light travel, but some people would not consider that true time travel.

smcgiff wrote: »
    What scientists are you talking about? Physicists?

I'd say most would say travelling into the past was practically impossible. In theory yes but would involve all the energy in the universe type of impractical theory.

It may be possible to travel into the future by using close to the speed of light travel, but some people would not consider that true time travel.

Yes I agree, at this technological time we are at now. But in 100/200 years from now science will obviously have a better understanding of what is possible and of what is not. We only think of what is possible now at this moment in time technologically...that is why I say think outside the box as in the future, and not the information we just have now. The speed of light will be broken, it's just a matter of time. Maybe Tachyons.

In 200 years going forward just imagine the progress science will make in this field. What I am saying is that if in the far future humans did manage to harness the energy of the sun or such and could in some way go back to any time, even this time right now, wouldn't that mean time travel exists now as this time-travel machine is in our time ? or has visited this time.

I'm just curious about this scenario.

I meant impossible even in the far future or any future.

That far into the future is hard to fathom. Maybe consider a time beyond Ireland winning its next eurovision song contest. ;):o

• Advertisement

I meant impossible even in the far future or any future.

That far into the future is hard to fathom. Maybe consider a time beyond Ireland winning its next eurovision song contest. ;):o

But we are at this time oblivious to future technological advances, so how can we fathom the realistic possibility of this in the future ?. But we can.

I hate boxes.

But we are at this time oblivious to future technological advances, so how can we fathom the realistic possibility of this in the future ?. But we can.

I hate boxes.

But we can suppose/accept the laws of physics will not change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

If time travel to any point in the past was ever possible in the infinite future surely we would have records or proof of this in the past or to the extreme level we'd already have crap loads of time machines coz so many people already travelled into our past from our future.

Just think how different the world today would be if you went back 60,000 years and shot a few early humans!

Everything changes in time. That is one thing that's guaranteed, it's just a matter of time. It always happens. Look at Michio Kaku for instance, regarding his type 0/1/2/3 civilisations scenario. We are type 0 as we know, relying on fossil fuels for energy, but it's only a matter of time before we progress to a type 1 civilisation, and this is when things start to get really technologically interesting. Imagine reaching type 2 ? It will happen if we don't annihilate the planet.

• Advertisement

Spunge wrote: »
    If time travel to any point in the past was ever possible in the infinite future surely we would have records or proof of this in the past or to the extreme level we'd already have crap loads of time machines coz so many people already travelled into our past from our future.

That's a very good point. But who's to know it didn't happen, or happening now ? as is said...never interfere with the space time continuum ? surely that would be upheld by any visiting persons from the future from destabilising a world ? who knows but it would make sense.

Maybe there is a prime directive not to interfere with the past in any way, makes sense as a protocol regarding the seriousness of doing such a thing.

And who's to say it hasn't happened in our past ?. We have a strange history of which is not all known.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Maybe it has(will be) invented in the future but deemed too dangerous for casual use, for fear of disrupting the past.

"great, we've invented time travel, now nobody use it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Just think how different the world today would be if you went back 60,000 years and shot a few early humans!

It wouldn't be any different. It's already happened as far as we're concerned so life doesn't change for us

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Black with grey stitching!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

That's a very good point. But who's to know it didn't happen, or happening now ? as is said...never interfere with the space time continuum ? surely that would be upheld by any visiting persons from the future from destabilising a world ? who knows but it would make sense.

Maybe there is a prime directive not to interfere with the past in any way, makes sense as a protocol regarding the seriousness of doing such a thing.

And who's to say it hasn't happened in our past ?. We have a strange history of which is not all known.

Yeah but the people who do this prime directive would have to police an infinite amount of time, or at least the length of the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

If time travel really happens and someone from the future comes to our time. Doesn't that mean we come back alive ;)

Scientists were seriously damaged in the past from saying the earth is round, But hey, the earth is round. Scientists of the time again were ridiculed when they said the earth orbits around the sun, they paid for that one of which held science back a long time. This idea of 'things are set' is an old stigma of drudgery.

They say faster than the speed of light is impossible, well, that will be proven in time that it can be defeated just like everything in our past. The sun goes around the earth to most folk, and heavier than air flight is madness, also we are the centre of the universe.

The box can only hold enough monkey's before it bursts with new thinking and enlightenment of such possibilities in time travel.

@ spunge
    Yeah but the people who do this prime directive would have to police an infinite amount of time, or at least the length of the universe.

I think if they were tinkering with a planets life, they would (or should I say we, as they would be us in the future, humans) be damn careful not to interfere too much.

Lets see what the hadron collider can provide us all with as it's going to be doubly powered in 2015 with their new powerful spec. It's this that might get us closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Our understanding of them could change though surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

So basically if time travel is ever going to exist then it has always existed? The fact that it doeasn't exist now means it will never exist (phew)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I wasn't going to say this here because we're all sworn to secrecy, but I am from the future.

I am only allowed to tell you a couple of things though.

In the future there will be no need for Mods on Boards. Everyone is so chilled that no one even mentions: Travellers, Strawmen, Shinner Bots, Dole ...

The only other thing is that Purple Tin does win that Nigerian Lottery in 2017.

Thats all I have to get back to my Podsausage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

If time travel depends on being able to achieve faster than light speed I can guarantee you that some people will still be arriving late!

The next revelation from science with the new power tests in 2015 from the Hadron collider will be a particle above the Higgs Boson, they will eventually find the particle that controls all dark energy and of which connects all solar systems and galaxies together.
    The Higgs is just another particle that was unknown, but is not a God particle. The next particle they find will be the real deal imo.

But then they will find another one and on it goes.

Eventually they will find it to figure out time travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The general theory I've heard, which has some convincing scientific basis to back it up, is that if a time machine was built, time travel forwards and backwards would be possible but for a quantum reason I can't remember, it would be almost impossible to build a machine which could go back to a time before it was built. So in other words, once a time machine exists, travel in both directions will be possible but only as far back as the moment of that particular machine's creation.

If this is indeed the case, I can foresee a scenario in which time machines are aged like wine and become more valuable as they get older, whereas brand new machines will be considered junk. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

The Temporal Prime Directive sorts all that out

The general theory I've heard, which has some convincing scientific basis to back it up, is that if a time machine was built, time travel forwards and backwards would be possible but for a quantum reason I can't remember, it would be almost impossible to build a machine which could go back to a time before it was built. So in other words, once a time machine exists, travel in both directions will be possible but only as far back as the moment of that particular machine's creation.

If this is indeed the case, I can foresee a scenario in which time machines are aged like wine and become more valuable as they get older, whereas brand new machines will be considered junk. :D

But what about past/present and future intermingled in a loop dimensionally speaking if true ? but just on a different frequency outside our physical reality ?. I have heard of the electron being in two places at the same time, what do we make of this ? it's a strange mechanic of quantum thinking.

Who says that a matter machine needs to be built to transport individual/s from future to past ? maybe a stable energy vortex shield surrounding a person/persons that has the capability of keeping these folk in a plasma form situation with life support that can travel not only through physical matter but warp them electrically in a nano-second to their destination ?. Yes it is out there on planet pluto I agree, but so is the universe so anything is possible.

It wouldn't be any different. It's already happened as far as we're concerned so life doesn't change for us
    True!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Her cousin is an Israeli soldier and guards secret research facilities , he recently recounted
    a story that Israeli scientists have already invented time travel and have been back to pre war Germany and have looked into actually killing a young Adolf Hitler aged about twelve years old .

However the head of the facility is a pacifist and refuses to allow any weapons to be carried back in time believing the impact on the world would be catastrophic.

Her cousin told us about a conversation he overheard between some of the agents who had actually confronted a young Hitler.All they could do poke Hitler with sticks and branches of trees , but they distinctly heard Hitler clearly say that he was sick of Jews annoying him and was going to do something about them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I still think that time travel is portal related! You can only travel to another created portal. So until that portal has been made, nobody can travel to prior of that point.

Saying that, I have been experimenting with time travel and quantum physics in relation to string theory and the manipulation of a time vaccum to travel through. I sm going to give it a go today and hopefully, if it works, I can post in this thread as proof. I was thinking something obscure would work. Im going to put on a pair of socks, and ill travel back in time and tell you all what colour and style they are!

Wish me luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I don't believe in time travel.

I knew you'd say that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I don't believe in time travel.

Advertisement