Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom announce the new product details

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

One can rarely link to the Eircom site because of those dreadful Session Cookies Insider. Could you do it in the cascading menu format , eg Eircom.ie > About Eircom > Press releases or whatever.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by GavinJCD
    OK so what we're saying here is com March 1st (when all the new products come into effect) those of us on the €89 business offer get an increase in cap to 12 gig and an increase in speed from 512/128 to 1024/256. I can live with that :)
    I don't think you'll get a speed increase - the 512/128 ADSL "product" isn't being changed at a technical level - the increase in the download allowance to 12G is more of a billing change than a technical change (or not, as they don't seem to have been billing people for exceeding the cap anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 yallingup

A good source tells me the differences between the €40 and €55 products are the upload/download cap already mentioned, the contention ratio, 1550-rate tech support versus local-rate, usb/ethernet combo modem versus 4-port ethernet (both free) and (wow!) €55 suckers get the new virus/spam protector service for free.

None of which in my book really justifies handing over an extra 15 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭beezkneez

hold on there, im lost. im on the 55euro a month adsl at the mo, will it be possible to start paying 39.99 after march. i dont get near the cap so id be interested in having the same product that i have for cheaper.

Originally posted by beezkneez
    hold on there, im lost. im on the 55euro a month adsl at the mo, will it be possible to start paying 39.99 after march.
    That's what we currently expect. (But this is oreillycom we're taling about, so we won't know for sure until we see it in writing from them).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hi full details about Eircoms new products are available at:

Eircom > Our Products And Services > Eircom Broadband @ home > What option is right for you?

The details seem to be:

eircom broadband home starter
    4GB download. 1GB upload.
    Combi-modem at no charge.
    39.99 (inc. VAT).
    99 (inc. VAT) for self-install.
    Email Protection: None.
    Support No. 1550 555 444.

eircom broadband home plus
    8GB download unlimited upload.
    4 port modem.
    54.45 (inc. VAT).
    Email Protection: Yes.
    Support No. 1890 260 260.

By default existing customers will be put on the plus service, therefore they will continue to pay the same, however they can downgrade online from today.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

Originally posted by Ripwave
    I don't think you'll get a speed increase - the 512/128 ADSL "product" isn't being changed at a technical level - the increase in the download allowance to 12G is more of a billing change than a technical change (or not, as they don't seem to have been billing people for exceeding the cap anyway).

I am on the €89 euro a month business package. Now if it's going to go to 1024/256 as it says in the PDF I'm hardly going to be paying €89 a month and only get half the speed.

Originally posted by GavinJCD
    I am on the €89 euro a month business package. Now if it's going to go to 1024/256 as it says in the PDF I'm hardly going to be paying €89 a month and only get half the speed.
    Yeah, you're right, I was confused by the wholesale product list. It looks like the existing iStream solo package (now considered a "business" product) will be at the faster speed, though there's absolutely no mention of speeds on the oreillycom websites any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by bk
    Hi full details about Eircoms new products are available at:

Eircom > Our Products And Services > Eircom Broadband @ home > What option is right for you?

The details seem to be:

eircom broadband home starter

4GB download. 1GB upload.
    Combi-modem at no charge.
    39.99 (inc. VAT).
    Email Protection: None.
    Support No. 1550 555 444.

eircom broadband home plus
    8GB download unlimited upload.
    4 port modem.
    54.45 (inc. VAT).
    Email Protection: Yes.
    Support No. 1890 260 260.

By default existing customers will be put on the plus service, therefore they will continue to pay the same, however they can downgrade online from today.

There is also a difference in the contention ratio.........

eircom broadband home starter 48:1
    eircom broadband home plus 24:1

For most people starter is probably the way to go. Mentioning contention ratio, has anybody seen it kick in? I don't notice much difference no matter what hour of the day or night I am on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I'll definitely be moving to the 39 euro product. I checked my download stats, and apart from one month when i went nuts i downloaded nearly 100 gigs everything else fits into the 4GB/1GB model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

they charge you for that massive overuse? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    they charge you for that massive overuse? :)
    Dunno but I think that netman was exagerating a bit when he said 100gb ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

not really. i downloaded just a bit more than 98 gigs in one month, when i first got broadband. never got charged for it (like anyone else that i know). as far as i can tell the download allowance is currently not being enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by netman
    not really. i downloaded just a bit more than 98 gigs in one month, when i first got broadband. never got charged for it (like anyone else that i know). as far as i can tell the download allowance is currently not being enforced.
    Woah, that is pretty excessive, if you did get charged, that would amount to about €3000 (rough calculation), how the hell did you manage to download that much?

That is three quaters of your whole cap eaten up after just one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i recon constantly downloading for 15 hrs a day every day for a month would = 100 gb
    you could constantly keep stuff lined up for download using a p2p program
    i went 10 gb over my cap in the first month and also wasnt charged

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

We currently have the 2Mbit eircom offering in work for €165, sweet !

Slaan.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Slaanesh
    We currently have the 2Mbit eircom offering in work for €165, sweet !

Slaan.

and in Sweden you can get a 10Mbit connection for a lot less. It's a bit sad when people think €165 a month for a 2Mbit connection is sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

2mbit is sweet.. .paying €165 a month for it is not!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

no no, you don't understand, I work there and do not pay for the usage, therefore it is sweet. And yes €165 is absurd.

Slaanesh.

Advertisement