Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion on intolerance [PLEASE READ]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It is quite funny to see the massive over-reation from some members to the over-reation from the mods. stunned? speechless? shocked? outraged? intolerable? for a 24 hour lock on all threads... get some perspective on life!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

seems like some folk here are in withdrawal. it's the mods trainset (literally) and if Victor wants to impose a timeout you guys can apply for a refund.

As for the point at issue - it's true that individual transport workers might feel slighted at the bashing they get here. The problem in Ireland is that there are many agendas in transport between users, managers, politicians and workers and part of those agendas are to blame other groups rather than accept the failings on one's own.

There is no such thing as the national interest and sides choose to run out the clock on negotiations and paralyze the country rather than be seen to compromise. Then the individual manager/driver/backbencher takes it in the neck for the failings of their upper management/union bosses/ministers.

Meanwhile the users blame all of the above while in the knowledge that if taxes or fares have to be raised to fix any problems they'll be threatening to vote for the other guy who's promising the world for less money.

The attitude of a lot of people here seems to be "I can say what I want - it's free speech" - well as Victor just proved, no it's not, and second there's way too few people willing to be persuaded one way or the other rather than the preconceived, badly informed notion they want to blast out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

dowlingm wrote:
    seems like some folk here are in withdrawal. it's the mods trainset (literally)

Wrong. Its the Admins trainset, the Mods have just been asked to work the signals for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Wrong. Its the Admins trainset, the Mods have just been asked to work the signals for a bit.

A signaller decides train regulation on the owners behalf :o

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

In fairness to the mod I can see where his coming from, myself a Dublin bus driver, anytime I have tried to give my point of view to situations, Ive been shot down by union hating folk here, Which in time may result in me not bothering to post here. I dont get paid to post excuses for failures in the bus system, I just give a view from my side of the fence, and sometimes I wonder if people even read them before replying, Some people here have a deep hatred for Dublin bus management and unions, which is fair enough but if your not willing to listen to our side of the story why should we bother being here?
    Anyone here know why the taximen are unhappy? What changes do they face?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

A signaller decides train regulation on the owners behalf :o
    The signallers had a family crisis in Mallow.
    STRIKE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Victor: I've noted over the recent past that some people here are becoming more and more abusive towards transport workers. This has upset a number of people who feel they are being unfairly branded. I think everyone is open to fair criticism of transport workers and officials, but sometimes the line is crossed into abuse.

If this is true why are such comments not being addressed on a case-by-case basis instead of being raised in this way? I personally think everyone has as much a right to hear other people's opinions as they have to express their own and generally speaking if anything that's said is said outside of reason it's either addressed by other posters or else ignored by them. Sometimes good arguments/counter-arguments come out of bad points raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jkgvfg

I'm with the mod on this.

I'm taking it his point of attack is on "people here are becoming more and more abusive" rather than just when it is "towards transport workers" and I do think some of the posts were over the top, no matter where it was directed - taxi drivers, Iarnroid Eireann staff, Michael O'Leary...

At least the mod's actions got people to notice and think about it without seriously affecting them, unlike what some of the abusive criticism was about - the taxi drivers strike!!

I am not a transport worker - I'm just a frustrated transport user who would disagree with what the taxi drivers are doing and the way they are doing it, would rarely if ever support anything coming from unions or the public service and would feel the Minister for Transport should resign, along with the rest of the Government, over the waste of public resources in relation to transport. But it's nothing personal against any of them even if I (rightly or wrongly) tarnish the lot of them with the one brush.

And I never believed that "free speech" meant you could say what you wanted, wherever you wanted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

What's more annoying is that after his little thread-lock cherade, Victor has not reappeared at all to give his take on this.

This is a rude snub to those of us who answered his petulant question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Red Alert wrote:
    What's more annoying is that after his little thread-lock cherade, Victor has not reappeared at all to give his take on this.

This is a rude snub to those of us who answered his petulant question.

I agree - he posted on PI on Sat and has been logged in today - the least he could do would be to acknowledge and try to defend what he did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I agree - he posted on PI on Sat and has been logged in today - the least he could do would be to acknowledge and try to defend what he did.

I dont beeelieve it......:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Perhaps Victor is preoccupied with something else offline. I'm pretty sure it’s not a case of avoiding the issue. He would have known and expected such a response before the lockdown started.

His job here is to facility discussion on the forum and I'm sure that was the reason he did what he did. I myself believe it to have been misguided but I do understand the reasoning that was behind it. I suppose it’s the online equivalent of a bring to order motion.

On the actual subject in hand while its certainly true that you cannot tar a whole profession because of the actions of a few, those in the transport section should be aware that when they do for example instigate the withdrawal of services and/or attempt to create chaos for commuters. The knock on effect of their actions can be more than just an inconvenience to the public, but can result in financial loss for those who are on the clock. And in the case of extended withdrawals of the public transport services the very real risk of job losses for some sectors does exist.
    So if you provide what is an extremely important service that impacts people in a very real and tangible manner you must expect them to be that bit more critical of the service they are dependent upon.

Advertisement