Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumber hourly rate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

We charge €75 inc vat for first hour & €25 per hour after that. If it took the day we'd look for a days wages €250.
    I live on the north side of Dublin. It costs me around €15 (inc tolls of €7.80) round trip for a call out to tallaght, rathfarnham etc. Fitting the tap might take 2 hours inc travel time. I can see how it is a lot to pay out but I don't think it is a lot to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Scorch5000

Yep seems fair. Im outside of Dublin( Tipperary) So i would expect higher rates In Dublin, in fact i think your a bit low for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Scorch5000 wrote: »
    Yep seems fair. Im outside of Dublin( Tipperary) So i would expect higher rates In Dublin, in fact i think your a bit low for Dublin.

Anywhere from 250-350 is the norm all round I think

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Anywhere from 250-350 is the norm all round I think

Per day?

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Per day?

Of course

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Of course

Got ya. Sounds right to me

Got ya. Sounds right to me

I'd be chancin my arm charging 250-350 an hour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

You all do realise by setting rates like these your pushing people towards diy?

Customers don't care how many apprentices you have - if it's a one man job but you bring 3 (plumber + 2 apprentices) then it should still be costed at one man.

Your talking about the cost of driving to buy the taps - will you give a discount if the customer has the tap onsite because logically that's what you should do if you charge for collecting the tap.

I'm seeing more and more of my friends, people I would consider non- diyers, doing jobs like changing taps because of high plumber prices. Your making your market pool smaller with high prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

It's a no win debate.

Lucky I'm busy.
    + I'm (very) expensive.
    + I'm good value.
    + I guarantee.
    + no call back charge
    + I know what I'm doing.
    + I'm insured
    +I've lasted 23 years.

Figure that one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Customers don't care how many apprentices you have - if it's a one man job but you bring 3 (plumber + 2 apprentices) then it should still be costed at one man.

Your talking about the cost of driving to buy the taps - will you give a discount if the customer has the tap onsite because logically that's what you should do if you charge for collecting the tap.

I'm seeing more and more of my friends, people I would consider non- diyers, doing jobs like changing taps because of high plumber prices. Your making your market pool smaller with high prices
    Great idea maybe we can give discounts if the customers supplies the tools aswell.

• Advertisement

Great idea maybe we can give discounts if the customers supplies the tools aswell.

Why stop there.... If the customer is willing to pass me the tools and go to the van for me, I'll pay them a wage and deduct it from my bill

scudo2 wrote: »
    It's a no win debate.

Lucky I'm busy.
    + I'm (very) expensive.
    + I'm good value.
    + I guarantee.
    + no call back charge
    + I know what I'm doing.
    + I'm insured
    +I've lasted 23 years.

Figure that one out.

Quality tradesmen will always be busy. This year and last year have been my busiest since 1985.
    No cash jobs. Everyone gets charged vat & everyone gets an invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

No point havin a massive pool of customers if you are charging peanuts and struggling to cover costs. I'd actually say that people not wanting to pay the rates which are fair , is what causes the increase in DIY , black market practices and worst of all substandard work . I charge €80 to service a gas boiler, I would rather say no to a job than be haggles down to €40 because that's what the local taxi driver is charging on one of those discount sites .

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SawTroll

I am on minimum wage, what i earn in a week is what you earn in a day on average to this thread. Yes i know ye have expenses, insurance, diesel, registration fees and other expensives, it just comes as such a shock to pay a tradesman for ones days work and i give the whole week earning it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

SawTroll wrote: »
    I am on minimum wage, what i earn in a week is what you earn in a day on average to this thread. Yes i know ye have expenses, insurance, diesel, registration fees and other expensives, it just comes as such a shock to pay a tradesman for ones days work and i give the whole week earning it.

One could only compare like for like, depending on your job, your qualifications, experience & the training you have grafted for.
    Are you shocked to hand over €50 to your GP for 5 mins of his time or €200 to shake a consultant's hand?

What most people miss is that self employed people have enormous on-going costs. For example, I pay my accountant €2,000 per year, my vans costs on average €10,000 per year, insurance another €1,150, phones €1,500, just to name a few.
    So you tell me how does all those expenses get paid for if I don't charge for them?
    Perhaps if I was signing the dole for €400 plus my medical bills paid for, school allowances, etc then I could charge cash nixer prices.
    What people fail to realise is that a trades person's day rate is not going into his pocket.

A self employed tradesman doesn't get paid for holidays, bank holiday, Christmas etc. I usually take about 14 off per year. I work weekends & I have hours of paperwork for vat etc.
    Today is sSaturday. I'm in my jeep now leaving for my first job. I'm on North side of Dublin now. Have to go to skerries, balbriggan, Naas & then home.

Don't get me wrong. I love what I do & at the end of the week I have been pretty well paid but I'm working closer to 60 per week, drive 500 miles per week

shane 007 wrote: »
    One could only compare like for like, depending on your job, your qualifications, experience & the training you have grafted for.
    Are you shocked to hand over €50 to your GP for 5 mins of his time or €200 to shake a consultant's hand?

What most people miss is that self employed people have enormous on-going costs. For example, I pay my accountant €2,000 per year, my vans costs on average €10,000 per year, insurance another €1,150, phones €1,500, just to name a few.
    So you tell me how does all those expenses get paid if I don't can't charge for them?
    Perhaps if I was signing the dole for €400 plus my medical bills paid for, school allowances, etc then I could charge cash nixer prices.
    What people fail to realise is that a trades person's day rate is not going into his pocket.

Don't forget tools, diesel, public liability insurance, then of course the Paye, prsi, usc, all of this whilst trying to earn a living at the end of the week.

People who get a guaranteed wage and get to clock off at 5 on a Friday with no headaches of paperwork or worrying where your next job or pay cheque might come from don't really know lucky they are.

But this is the job we chose so one can't complain too much.

It also annoys me when I hear a customer say , ah he was a nice man , came in and fixed the boiler in 5 minutes and only charged €20.
    I don't care if I'm there 5/10/15 minutes , the first hour is charged . I don't charge just for my time , I charge for my knowledge. I'd rather pay somebody who knows what they're doing €80 for fixing my problem , properly in 10 minutes . Than pay a chancer guessing his way through the issue over the course of a few hours .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Today is sSaturday. I'm in my jeep now leaving for my first job. I'm on North side of Dublin now. Have to go to skerries, balbriggan, Naas & then home.

Don't get me wrong. I love what I do & at the end of the week I have been pretty well paid but I'm working closer to 60 per week, drive 500 miles per week

Clearly your choice to work so many hours/week though in fairness.

Self employed people do get holidays both bank and annual. You should be allowing for this in your quotes. Yes you don't get them in the same way a PAYE worker gets his holiday pay but if you're not getting them you've yourself to blame.

As for running costs of vans phones. How do you think a PAYE worker covers his costs and doesn't get to write the vat off on diesel and other expenses either.

I just had a quick read but it seems there's more than one person on here running their company badly.

As for the op. It seems like a fair price tbh. A tradesman would charge per hour or part thereof.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    As for running costs of vans phones. How do you think a PAYE worker covers his costs and doesn't get to write the vat off on diesel and other expenses either.

I just had a quick read but it seems there's more than one person on here running their company badly.

As for the op. It seems like a fair price tbh. A tradesman would charge per hour or part thereof.

I cannot claim usage costs for my own personal use so my costs are exactly the same for you. I pay vat on fuel, etc but do not claim a percentage of it back. Believe me I've tried but I was told the taxman will always assume you will use a proportion of your van & fuel for personal use, whether I do or not.

What do you think your employer charges their client for the collective work of their employees? I think you will find your charged daily rate is a lot higher than you are getting, plus a profit is added as they are not an employer for nothing.
    If it's that easy why are you not doing it?

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Clearly your choice to work so many hours/week though in fairness.

Self employed people do get holidays both bank and annual. You should be allowing for this in your quotes. Yes you don't get them in the same way a PAYE worker gets his holiday pay but if you're not getting them you've yourself to blame.

How can you include bank holidays in a quote ?

Most people can get a bus or train to work.

How do you propose I get to 5 different places a day with a van full of tools, without using a van ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

€30 an hour. lets work that out.13.5% is vat, then union rates are at 21 or 22 an hour, than you have insurance, rgii subscriptions, van, tools maintenance, diesel, road tax, d.o.e, phone bills, admin costs, office staff. and thats all before a profit.
    most companies work on a profit of 10 to 20% so they can survive a rainy day. but plumbers profit margins are more like 3 or 4%

when you work it all out you be a mad man to do this job. its 24/7 people expect the work to be done for nothing
    80 quid an hour is excessive.

kippy wrote: »
    80 quid an hour is excessive.

Where's it say 80 ?

Egass13 wrote: »
    Where's it say 80 ?

Sorry was mentioned earlier in relation to the cost the op paid

€80 euro an hour is excessive , however that's not the same as an €80 call out charge which includes the first hour or part there of.

Out of that 80 Euro, you would be lucky to come away with 30 in your pocket.

How much is a car service?

Let's say 120.

Takes less than an hour. You bring your car to them.

Parts maybe 20.

Is 100 excessive?

Out of that 80 Euro, you would be lucky to come away with 30 in your pocket.

How much is a car service?

Let's say 120.

Takes less than an hour. You bring your car to them.

Parts maybe 20.

Is 100 excessive?
    Totally different business'

What's that got to do with anything?

Both are providing a skilled service to the public which the public can't do themselves.

Oh right so mechanics are worth more of a charge than a plumber!
    Hmmm....
    Plus you drive your car to them. We drive our van to you.
    .....mmmmH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

dpofloinn wrote: »
    Holy fcuk E80 an hour and part there of .Is that after call out charge and less fittings? Most companies I worked for even in the good times were never more than E30 an hour and E10 to E15 for an apprentice

Are those companies still in business?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement