Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumber hourly rate

Options
  • 17-01-2014 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Quick question, we had a kitchen tap replaced for €70 earlier today and he was here about 25 minutes and charged €140 alltogether. Would that be correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

Was it just a handyman or a qualified plumber ? Did he travel far to get to you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭chris445

I know €70 labour seems expensive for 25 minutes but when you add in time spent getting the tap and travelling to and from site it might add up to 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Then there could be a call out charge aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

paulb06 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Quick question, we had a kitchen tap replaced for €70 earlier today and he was here about 25 minutes and charged €140 alltogether. Would that be correct?

So the tap cost €70 and he charged another €70 for the 25 minutes or were there any other charges?

Cause €70 per half hour......€140 per hour......:eek:

There was definitely nothing else? Callout charge, any other materials etc. etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Did the plumber have to use additional fittings or piping or replace valves ?Did he have an apprentice with or assistant with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

Hi Guys

did he have to come look at the tap first?go off to the suppliers to get the tap come back and fit it?thats a quick 25 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Most companies will charge about 80 euro an hour. Either if it went in tova second hour it be another 80.

Op you done well at 140 euro you were not ripped off anyways because some times changing taps can be a right c***.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I would be very suprised if he didnt have a call out charge, it cost money to run a business

Most companies will charge about 80 euro an hour. Either if it went in tova second hour it be another 80.

Op you done well at 140 euro you were not ripped off anyways because some times changing taps can be a right c***.

Holy fcuk E80 an hour and part there of .Is that after call out charge and less fittings? Most companies I worked for even in the good times were never more than E30 an hour and E10 to E15 for an apprentice

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭paulb06

I would be very suprised if he didnt have a call out charge, it cost money to run a business

Yeah most likely a call out charge, just wasn't sure that's all. No nothing else was done he had the tap in his van when he arrived, didn't need to leave anywere to get it. 20-25 mins max.

You were probably charged a E50 call out and E20 for the job

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

seems ok price

you could have bought the wrench yourself $25 and the tap taken about 2 hours
    you would have saved $45

Yeah most likely a call out charge, just wasn't sure that's all. No nothing else was done he had the tap in his van when he arrived, didn't need to leave anywere to get it. 20-25 mins max.

it took him 25 mins to do the job,sometimes it goes well taking them off and sometimes its a pain.his went well,if he was there longer it would prob have been the same price.
    also he had to get the tap from somewhere even if it was in the van so that costs too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Also the vodka & tonic was in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

dpofloinn wrote: »
    Holy fcuk E80 an hour and part there of .Is that after call out charge and less fittings? Most companies I worked for even in the good times were never more than E30 an hour and E10 to E15 for an apprentice

€30 an hour. lets work that out.13.5% is vat, then union rates are at 21 or 22 an hour, than you have insurance, rgii subscriptions, van, tools maintenance, diesel, road tax, d.o.e, phone bills, admin costs, office staff. and thats all before a profit.
    most companies work on a profit of 10 to 20% so they can survive a rainy day. but plumbers profit margins are more like 3 or 4%

when you work it all out you be a mad man to do this job. its 24/7 people expect the work to be done for nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

€30 an hour. lets work that out.13.5% is vat, then union rates are at 21 or 22 an hour, than you have insurance, rgii subscriptions, van, tools maintenance, diesel, road tax, d.o.e, phone bills, admin costs, office staff. and thats all before a profit.
    most companies work on a profit of 10 to 20% so they can survive a rainy day. but plumbers profit margins are more like 3 or 4%

when you work it all out you be a mad man to do this job. its 24/7 people expect the work to be done for nothing
    + 1 on that.

I wont argue with you, I didnt set the rates with these companies .All that I can tell you is that if I quoted E80 PH and part there of my weekly income would be E0 because im trying to compete with lads who will supply and fit a circulating pump for E50, I mean how is that even possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I wont argue with you, I didnt set the rates with these companies .All that I can tell you is that if I quoted E80 PH and part there of my weekly income would be E0 because im trying to compete with lads who will supply and fit a circulating pump for E50, I mean how is that even possible?

It depends on the job, fitting a like for like pump isn't complicated and won't take too long.

But if you're trying to find and diagnose a boiler problem its different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Anyone who operates on a callout system has the callout fee to cover the first hr or half hr to cover their costs of operating, the remainder of time on site would normally be covered by a simple hourly rate.

And anyone who is competing with "Lads" who can supply and fit a pump for €50 should be rubbing their palms because "Lads" like that are normally here today and gone tomorrow.

any of these companies around anymore?

2 of them are still going strong ,granted they are a little bit smaller now than they were at the height of things but still going all the same and showing no signs of going tits up yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

If tradesmen charged by the minute, there would be no tradesmen!
    What about tax, vat, insurance, diesel, van insurance, cost of replacing tools!
    Nobody thinks about the hidden cost of running a business or being self-employed. Plus the fact if he has no work there is no dole to live off for the self-employed. He must make a profit to live on when there is no work.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Mother-in-law had a guy out Saturday to rep lair her stairlift.

Callout €140 (€160 for Saturday)
    Repair took about 10 minutes (dirt on the contacts between chair and charger), so he offered to service it, then charged another €140 for the service…..€300!
    Took under an hour, don't even know what took that long, a motor, board and battery! (service what??)

Think I'm in the wrong business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭oikster

Think I'm in the wrong business[/QUOTE]

No,it's called having a conscience.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Hi Guys

If that is what you paid then its correct!, all the rest of these posts is only opinions... and you know what they say about opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

DGOBS wrote: »
    Mother-in-law had a guy out Saturday to rep lair her stairlift.

Callout €140 (€160 for Saturday)
    Repair took about 10 minutes (dirt on the contacts between chair and charger), so he offered to service it, then charged another €140 for the service…..€300!
    Took under an hour, don't even know what took that long, a motor, board and battery! (service what??)

Think I'm in the wrong business

that's a total disgrace we all have to make a living and try and run a business but this to me is a feckin rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

(rubbing hands) I have to decorate a room for a plumber tomorrow, boy is he in for a shock....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

(rubbing hands) I have to decorate a room for a plumber tomorrow, boy is he in for a shock....:D

You would want to be fairly good to out wit a plumber when it comes to money you might even end up paying him for your days work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

anthonyos wrote: »
    You would want to be fairly good to out wit a plumber when it comes to money you might even end up paying him for your days work

the saying goes youd want to be up early in the morn :P

id say you wouldn't want to go to bed at all :P

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

Make sure you get all the wall behind the rad painted, he might dock you if he has to take it down for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Scorch5000

Hes sitting around waiting for work with no pay.
    He doesn.t get holiday pay or a pension top ups , He pays Vat, Diesel and a van plus the tools,Tax on van. Travel time, He has to pay for accounts at the end of the year, He comes to you by the way , I dropped my van into a garage and they charge me 100 an hour for 2 mechanics.Vans last 8-10 years before they need replacing.
    No sick pay. No free lunches or perks. Filthy jobs sometimes, peoples waste! Sewers, and so on. Also hes usually got a family and mortgage to pay for like most people.

Call for the first hour or part thereof €70.00 Then €15 euro for every half hr or part thereof afterwards is fair. . If its an all day job a day could be set. €200.00 a day + vat is fair

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement