Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

S.A.A - Snow Addicts Anonymous cold turkey thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

I heard Joe Duffy saying something about winter 1947, I think it will be discussed on Liveline today by those who can remember it.

Talking about it right now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Take care all those driving in snow!

EDIT: not my video!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Kind of felt obliged to post..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Rougies wrote: »
    Take care all those driving in snow!

Super video. That was one scary ride, you missed totality three times in less than three seconds, amazing car control and presence of mind to react the right way.

~ though I did think the speed was a little high to start with, but you and your car coped very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

gbee wrote: »
    Super video. That was one scary ride, you missed totality three times in less than three seconds, amazing car control and presence of mind to react the right way.

~ though I did think the speed was a little high to start with, but you and your car coped very well.

It's not my video, but yeah I agree he was driving too fast to begin with, as was the black car to his right that crashed.
    Although ironically, that black car actually cleared a path for the truck to get through. I'd say the driver in the grey car that got rear ended would have preferred that happened than get smashed by the truck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

If nothing else, the term 'cold turkey' being used in a thread title just after Christmas has to be humorous no??

Long, loooong, time lurker - first time poster here. Been hanging around outside the weather forum for over a year now and never felt the need to post. But it's getting a bit warm outside and I think I need to come in to the cold.

Since Su started this thread I have felt that I have a place to go, a place where people will listen and understand my feelings of loss and withdrawl...

As I know a little less than nothing about weather prediction or chart reading, I felt it appropriate to post here first.

Hi, my name's Dave, and I eat snow for breakfast, lunch, and dinner - and as a midnight snack. It's been over 12 months since my last meal. I'm feeling it, that horrible winter warmth, and I'm not liking it as much as a certain Sponge I know. It's impossible to 'plate-up' a puddle...

As I can't yet accurately read the charts, I resort to actual snow-dancing. It worked last year. Standing in North Co Dublin in my back garden and watching the snow-clouds pass to either side (north & south), I resorted to doing a snow dance, which was ultimately successful. Following that, I learned about the IOM Shadow and the fact that it was just a change in wind direction and not my snow-dancing that brought it my way... I still can't understand what horrible soul would put an island in the way... hampering those sleek streamers from building. :confused: why? why have the snow gods forsaken us? have we not been dutiful??

My work colleagues mock me for wanting the white fluffy goodness to return, but then ask me when it might come back... it's teasing, and that makes me just as confused as the GFS charts are these days.

My last admission... I enjoy snow-driving... that's going out during/after a heavy snowfall, late, when the roads are empty, and just admiring the altered/improved landscape.

Thanks everyone for listening

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Very poetic and well put snowmaker! (Pity you don't live up to your name......;))

When, oh when will we get the white stuff?

Last winter totally spoiled us snow-lovers, so now we expect a snow event each winter-season

It's not asking TOOOOOOO much!

So I share your pain, anticipation, delight and thrill at snow - it's just so cool. Granted if I lived in a very snowy country it might lose its allure, but I'm not, so it isn't.
    Most people look at me in horror when I say I want snow....
    Perahps we should start the SA (Snowholics Anonmyous!)

C u here about the 15th Jan and hopefully lamp-watching by the 20-25th!
    Keep dancing!

Very poetic and well put snowmaker! (Pity you don't live up to your name......;))
    When, oh when will we get the white stuff?
    Last winter totally spoiled us snow-lovers, so now we expect a snow event each winter-season
    It's not asking TOOOOOOO much!!

"Pity you don't live up to your name...." <--- haha, and fortunately you do live up to yours? ;)

Everything in moderation my dear. Snowmaker doesn't make snow on demand... As your name suggests a more pronounced knowledge about viticulture - much like turning grapes into a good wine, the conditions must be right in order to create a worthwhile and memorable snow event. You wouldn't binge on cheap wine all year, so why would you want to 'binge' on 'cheap' slushy crap all winter...? all in good time.

(as this is SAA, I can firmly and honestly renounce all that crap... as I'm currently getting my fix by sitting in a chest freezer at Harvey Norman, I plugged it in when the sales guy went off for a smoke... damn it feels goooooood in here.... whoaa!! ...icicles...) :cool:

OK... here's a suggestion... maybe even a remedy.. if we don't get any snow by the end of Feb, then how about we get a bunch of people together and hire one of these? http://www.atbpromotions.ie/hire-a-snow-machine.php .... head to some remote and isolated location, switch it on, and pretend to live in FI for a few hours... tell your spouses/partners/children you're just popping out for a walk as you exit the house trembling and sweating in anticipation.

No doubt that dirty feeling of guilt will creep in as the machine is switched off so everyone will probably walk away in silence as if we've done nothing wrong. Sinful. :D returning home... "how was your walk?"..."uhh..oh.um... good, yea.. nice.. umm I'll go take a shower (to wash off the guilt!)"

Snow-lovers unite!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There'd be enough of ye in here to charter a plane to where the snow IS ...Iceland or Norway...in early March. Such a pure love should not go unrequited.

That's if all else fails. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There'd be enough of ye in here to charter a plane to where the snow IS ...Iceland or Norway...in early March. Such a pure love should not go unrequited.

That's if all else fails. :)

I don't want to be impolite Sponge - but are you taking the p out of us snow bunnies? :eek:

In fairness to him, I think Sponge Bob was indirectly offering to fly the plane... For one of two reasons:
    1. He sees it as an opportunity to erradicate snow bunnies from Ireland.
    2. He's a closet snow bunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Thought watching an episode of Frozen Planet might help but think it's made my longing for the white stuff even worse

Snowmaker wrote: »
    In fairness to him, I think Sponge Bob was indirectly offering to fly the plane... For one of two reasons:
    1. He sees it as an opportunity to erradicate snow bunnies from Ireland.
    2. He's a closet snow bunny.

I'm fairly convinced it's 2.

Come out of the closet Sponge! :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'm just saying March is a very quiet time in the airline industry and charters can be pretty damn cheap. Tromso has a cool approach past snow covered mountains and all. If you need a fix you need a fix, way it is. :)UK£8500 per hour split 200 or so ways.

Here

Heck, there is even a smidge of snow in midsummer in Tromso. :)

Oooor... we could just go to Scotland... :D
    But thanks for all the effort SpongeBob, you really must want us to go on this trip. Maybe on some level I guess you do understand what everyone in the SSA is going through right now. Until March, or the next snowfall here... it's cold turkey and leftover memories for supper.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Hi my names tyler and I'm addicted to snow. I stick my hands in the freezer just so they can burn from the cold.

Hi my names tyler and I'm addicted to snow. I stick my hands in the freezer just so they can burn from the cold.

Thank you for sharing Tyler. :cool:

(standing up, firm clapping of hands, staring right at Tyler, determined look of admiration on my face)... Thank you Tyler.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Come join me each weekend in work Tyler! ... walk-in freezers @ -25 degrees! :) ... They have freezer jackets for them and all... me?.... i stroll in without them LIKE A BOSS! ... :cool: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I'm litreally laughing at these replies haha

Thread of the year? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I recently over heard a member of my family tell a neighbour that i was "Weather Mad"... like that was a bad thing! :D

I love the snowmaker idea and the flight to Scotland but since this forum does tend to spend a lot of time in FI i guess I am stuck with to snow in a can...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I first got a taste for that damn white powder way back in January 1982! Ever since then my life has revolved around the white stuff. The withdrawal effects are hell- constantly looking at charts wondering where the next hit will come from. I dont know if I can take any more of these Azores highs!!

I first got a taste for that damn white powder way back in January 1982! Ever since then my life has revolved around the white stuff. The withdrawal effects are hell- constantly looking at charts wondering where the next hit will come from. I dont know if I can take any more of these Azores highs!!

It was the magical February of 1969 got me hooked.

There was a school strike and we got three weeks off school and there was a two-week snowy cold spell during that break.

Heaven! :)

Anyone got any Feb '69 charts - just in case I dreamed it all? :eek:

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Come join me each weekend in work Tyler! ... walk-in freezers @ -25 degrees! :) ... They have freezer jackets for them and all... me?.... i stroll in without them LIKE A BOSS! ... :cool: :pac:

do you work at the morgue Ian ? :)) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Anyone got any Feb '69 charts - just in case I dreamed it all? :eek:
    Here you go Bill, 15th Feb below:
    Bitter cold came down from Siberia, then across Scandinavia and down to us
    Rrea00119690215.gif

Rrea00219690215.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

We'll have to head to Austria - 1.2metres :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16456103

trogdor wrote: »
    Here you go Bill, 15th Feb below:
    Bitter cold came down from Siberia, then across Scandinavia and down to us
    Rrea00119690215.gif

Rrea00219690215.gif

Many thanks Trog! That is the first weather chart I've ever seen of a time so full of happy memories :)

• Advertisement

Steopo wrote: »
    We'll have to head to Austria - 1.2metres :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16456103

Oh just look at those smart Austrians... as soon as it falls they all have their diggers out, like squirrels with acorns - piling up the happiness into mounds and saving it for later.

Following suit, have my mini-trowel out and just about to scrape the frost from inside the freezer, mini winter wonderland! :pac:

Advertisement