Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

relaxed wrote: »
    What makes you think that's the sole reason they did it?
    Because I suspect it was hugely important to them to have some basis for saying passenger numbers increased.
    If you take away the 9000 flights the media would have reported it much the same, that the numbers have stabilised, being only a few thousand different to last year
    The substantial position would have been the same. I'm not sure the media coverage would have been quite the same.

Bear in mind, much is being made in the PR about passenger numbers increasing in 2013.

Now, they could still report the real figures as very positive. They've gained more US passengers than they've lost UK passengers, and while transit passengers have dropped again you'd expect, if they are only passing through, that's no big deal for local tourism. The small increase in European traffic is more of a deal for that.

However, you clearly can't have State companies using scarce public money (in the sense that State companies, and all they own, belong to all of us) to fly people round in a circle so they can double-count them and inflate their performance.

It's just not on.

Well, sorry, it is on because they'll be let get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

However, you clearly can't have State companies using scarce public money (in the sense that State companies, and all they own, belong to all of us) to fly people round in a circle so they can double-count them and inflate their performance.

That's obviously false GCU, as you know yourself it was Ryanair that flew the kids to Santa and as one poster previously stated Ryanair staff got time off in lieu for doing it.

From a PR / Marketing point of view it was a success, the interest can be measured by the fact that 15,000 applied for the 4,500 Santa seats within three hours.

Also, the positive free publicity by the national press of those smiling kids on their way to Santa from Shannon plus the national surprise of the goodwill shown by Michael O'Leary for co-sponsoring it.

Getting such marketing value from a classical paid advertisement in a newspaper is so much more difficult to attain.

Outspoken Ryanair chief Michael O'Leary dishes out free seats for Santa (Irish Mirror)

A spokesman for Ryanair said: “Christmas cheer will be at its loudest and most excited over the next two Saturdays and Sundays.

“More than 3,000 children will be on board free Ryanair flights in a magical gift from the airline and airport.”

The initiative was devised to mark the airline’s eight new routes – to Berlin, Paris, Fuerteventura, Warsaw, Faro, Munich, Nice and Krakow.

It’s all part of the new leaf Michael O’Leary has turned over in a bid to become a more cuddly, consumer-loving brand.

The CEO has adopted a new customer friendly approach, or in his own inimitable words, he wants to “stop unnecessarily pissing people off.” ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Its amazing the anti shannon posters will find any angle right or wrong, fact or fiction to harp on about how they are been tricked and made bigger idiots by Snn & Ryanair. Whatever reason that is given is a lie and the poster works for snn and is involved in a big cover up! It seems to me sad in a time when something good that would benafit the whole country is been nit picked by facless "experts" who scann to net daily to raise the oul blood pressure at the mention of shannon! Sad indeed.

I have bad news your blood pressure is only going to keep going up, shannon is only on the first step of expansion plans avation services, pax, cargo etc. Lots of extra seats this year kur numbers will be just great.

Sad to see the oul irish thing of "if we cant have it nether will they" shannon has a great past and a greater future, if the naysayers looked at why there airports are not on par, instead of posting boil on every thread on shannon they'd be better served, but I suppose nobody wants to listen to the waffel which flows from your mouth.

That's obviously false GCU, as you know yourself it was Ryanair that flew the kids to Santa and as one poster previously stated Ryanair staff got time off in lieu for doing it.
    Well, no, it's not obviously false. We don't definitively know who carried the cost of the flights, or in what proportion.
    imurdaddy wrote: »
    Its amazing the anti shannon posters will find any angle right or wrong, fact or fiction to harp on about how they are been tricked and made bigger idiots by Snn & Ryanair..
    The situation is much simpler than that. When we pointed out initially that SNN's small increase in passenger numbers was down to the Santa flights, posters rejected this saying that these passengers would not have been included.

Now that we've evidence that they were included, and even counted twice as both arrivals and departures, we're being told that we're "anti-Shannon". We're anti-Shannon just for pointing out a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Well, no, it's not obviously false. We don't definitively know who carried the cost of the flights, or in what proportion.The situation is much simpler than that. When we pointed out initially that SNN's small increase in passenger numbers was down to the Santa flights, posters rejected this saying that these passengers would not have been included.

Now that we've evidence that they were included, and even counted twice as both arrivals and departures, we're being told that we're "anti-Shannon". We're anti-Shannon just for pointing out a fact.

When you say "we" who are you referring to? The only person still troubled by this minor and irrelevant subject matter seems to be yourself.

Well, no, it's not obviously false. We don't definitively know who carried the cost of the flights, or in what proportion.
    If you don’t know who carried the cost of the flights yourself then in fairness you should refrain from slating Shannon Airport for wasting state resources.

The Irish Mail article clearly tributes Michael O’Leary for the free Santa flights and credits the Airport for the musical entertainment festivities on the ground.
    Now that we've evidence that they were included, and even counted twice as both arrivals and departures, we're being told that we're "anti-Shannon".
    By using the word “evidence” here, you would swear that Shannon Airport was on trial in some court room.

In essence, the passenger numbers in 2013 have been stabilised to the 2012 level.

That is the real positive achievement for the airport management in 2013.

Secondly, from a marketing point of view, if the management decided to marginally nudge these stabilised figures into a marginal +00.38% increase as against -00.29% decrease with the help of a PR marketing promotion, then so be it, as it is a normal, real world, acceptable commercial practice within a reasonable frame of course.

The contracts signed for the new Aer Lingus / Ryanair routes near the end of 2013 will kick in 2014 and this will see Shannon numbers growing from a stabilised situation.

Personally, I find the criticism of the Santa-Kids promotion here, a bit over the top and somewhat petty.

By using the word “evidence” here, you would swear that Shannon Airport was on trial in some court room.
    If you think evidence is something that people should only use in courtrooms, then I think we may have identified a more fundamental point at issue.
    Personally, I find the criticism of the Santa-Kids promotion here, a bit over the top and somewhat petty.
    It would be, if it wasn't being used by SNN as a basis for saying their passenger numbers increased. Can I remind you that the initial reaction was denial that this was the case.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88477594&postcount=626

Afaik the Santa flights cannot be included in passenger numbers as the passengers did not pay landing fees (and I doubt Ryanair paid them on their behalf)

Will look for a source on this but it was definitely asked last month and that's what the airport said!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88519537&postcount=648

I was speaking with someone that works in the airport during the week and mentioned the increase in passengers and how it was handy that the Santa flights bumped up the numbers, I was told that only passengers from other airports and that disembark their flights count, so the Santa flights and private jets where the people don't get off don't count. The numbers for airport footfall is different though, that includes staff, airline crews, people dropping off, etc. etc. These numbers can have a massive effect on rent costs for businesses in the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bannerlady20

It would be, if it wasn't being used by SNN as a basis for saying their passenger numbers increased. Can I remind you that the initial reaction was denial that this was the case.

How do you know SNN only did these flights to increase there passenger numbers?

I think that's just your opinion and you haven't got proof to back it up.

If you think evidence is something that people should only use in courtrooms, then I think we may have identified a more fundamental point at issue.
    In the interest of clarity, would you please elaborate on what you mean by that?
    Can I remind you that the initial reaction was denial that this was the case.
    Where is the problem here?

Angelfire9 and Clareman genuinely tried to get to information at source.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

People,people dont you know Gcu"s opinions are the only ones that count! We are all trying to pull the woll over his eyes!!

imurdaddy wrote: »
    People,people dont you know Gcu"s options are the only ones that count! We are all trying to pull the woll over his eyes!!

Agree, I've seen his posts on Pprune too.

I'd say GCFUD has dwelled on this a lot. GCFUD is convinced SNN did this to increase pax numbers. Yet there is no proof of this.

Where is the problem here?

Angelfire9 and Clareman genuinely tried to get to information at source.
    Hang on. One of them claimed that they heard or saw a statement from the airport that said these flights were not counted. The other said an airport employee told him that the flights were not counted. We know, from the stated figures, that they were counted.

And you are asking what's wrong?

This is just embarrasing at this stage.

Hang on. One of them claimed that they heard or saw a statement from the airport that said these flights were not counted. The other said an airport employee told him that the flights were not counted. We know, from the stated figures, that they were counted.

And you are asking what's wrong?

This is just embarrasing at this stage.

GCUFD just let it go. Your the one who keeps bringing it up every where. They were counted. Get over it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Kess73 has already issued a warning on thread. Please refrain from backbiting and sniping at each other. You were already warned by Kess73 and therefore ignored mod instruction. We don't want a repeat of the arguments of the last thread, so please take it handy. Please remember to report any posts which break the rules and remember to attack the post not the poster. Thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I was dropping someone to the airport yesterday. Aer Lingus parked up B757 looked great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I was dropping someone to the airport yesterday. Aer Lingus parked up B757 looked great.

That was an early spot by you, as think only one of three recently leased Boeing 757s is currently in service.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Kess73 wrote: »
    That was an early spot by you, as think only one of three recently leased Boeing 757s is currently in service.

The second one (painted in the full AL livery) is in Shannon, but hasn't been handed over to AL yet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The second one (painted in the full AL livery) is in Shannon, but hasn't been handed over to AL yet.

That's the one I saw on Sunday. Perked near a hangar close to the approach road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ahh so it is parked up in Shannon but not in official use yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Kess73 wrote: »
    Ahh so it is parked up in Shannon but not in official use yet.

The inside is being done now.

• Advertisement

Pioneers and Aviators - A Century of Irish Aviation (RTE)

The two part documentary traces Ireland's aviation history from its humble beginnings when Alcock and Brown made the first transatlantic flight, landing in a bog in the West of Ireland, to the arrival of flying boats in Foynes with their glamorous movie-star passengers.

It charters the evolution of Aer Lingus, the development of airports at Shannon and Dublin, and the World's first Duty-Free shop at Shannon.

It also examines the pivotal emergence of Tony Ryan, the meteoric rise and fall of GPA, and the enduring dominance of Ryanair. Culminating finally in the present day story of Ireland's leading role in the global multi-billion dollar aircraft finance sector. Contributors include Former Aer Lingus CEO Willie Walsh, Boeing's CEO Ray Conner, Imelda Staunton, Peter Sutherland and former Minister for Transport Desmond O'Malley.

Only Ireland has this unique story, a story yearning to be told, a story of which we can all be proud. A story that is still being written.

RTÉ One, Thursday, 10.25pm (Episode 1 starts tonight)

Airbus A380-861 Air France.

Diverted flight AFR065 from Los Angeles to Paris-CDG at Shannon.

See also previous Posts 199, 353.

Image & Text by Paul Nelhams

12717691874_eb4e5d061e_c.jpg

Irish Terminal Air Traffic Up Despite Impact of Storms (IAA)

Shannon Airport terminal air traffic grew by 3.2% in January with an average of 38 daily movements.

295524.jpg

Airbus A380-861 Air France.

Diverted flight AFR065 from Los Angeles to Paris-CDG at Shannon.

See also previous Posts 199, 353.

Image & Text by Paul Nelhams

12717691874_eb4e5d061e_c.jpg

I hope they are not counted in the annual passenger total or somebody will be upset. That's a lot of extra punters on 1 flight.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

January traffic up....and no Santa!!

Good news....

I hope they are not counted in the annual passenger total or somebody will be upset. That's a lot of extra punters on 1 flight.;)
    Over 500, or 1,000 between arrivals and departures. But, in fairness, at least they really arrived from another airport and really left again, bound for someone else.

And, when you think of it, it was really just another planeload of trans-Atlantic passengers landing at Shannon when they really wanted to be somewhere else. Sure, that's as much part of the Airport's tradition as Irish Coffee.

Sorry, the Irish Coffee was Foynes. And, in fairness, the first trans-Atlantic flight to land in Ireland when headed somewhere else was Wrong Way Corrigan.

According to the Independent there another two diversions to Shannon.

Emergency services including the Irish Coast Guard and RNLI were placed on standby earlier today after a US military plane diverted to Shannon Airport. The US Air Force (USAF) Military Airlift Command KC-135 air-to-air refueller was en route from the US to Mildenhall air force base in England when the crew declared an emergency. The pilot reported problems with one of the jet’s engines as well as control issues. There were 11 crew on board at the time.

Meanwhile, a man in his 50s is due to appear in court tomorrow charged in connection with an incident on board a flight that was forced to divert to Shannon Airport earlier. Air Transat flight TSC-711 was flying from Paris to Montreal in Canada and was about an hour into its journey when a passenger is alleged to have become “unruly” on board.

At this rate they would need to introduce a new statistic for diversions! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Anyone know if the Shannon - Edinburgh service runs through the winter? It's only up until October at the moment.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Shannon - Edinburgh service runs through the winter? It's only up until October at the moment.
    According to the destination guide, the schedule is year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

• Advertisement

But when I try to book it for November it tells me that the service finishes on October 25th.

But when I try to book it for November it tells me that the service finishes on October 25th.

To early, wait until April/May and it will be out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Summer schedule runs up until then. They wouldn't have the winter schedule loaded in quite yet. It ran 6 days a week this winter

OK, thanks, I'll just wait and see.

Budget Parking at Shannon Airport (Limerick Post)

Passengers using Shannon Airport will shortly have an option of cheaper parking as the airport is opening a new carpark a short distance from the existing ones.

Airport Authority CEO, Neil Pakey revealed the plan to offer budget parking at a Shannon Chamber breakfast briefing on Wednesday morning.

“Taking a leaf out of Ryanair's book, we will be offering a 'park for less' option not far from the airport shortly.” Mr. Pakey said.

parkingmap.sflb.ashx

Last year, I read that they got planning permission for the reconfiguration of the Terminal Building Forecourt.

The development comprised of alterations to the existing terminal building traffic management system, the provision of a a new vehicle set down area, covered walkway, signage replacement, relocation of parking spaces, car park surface overlay and footpath re-instatement.

I presume this is now finished?

Pioneers and Aviators - A Century of Irish Aviation Part two of two.

Documenting the rise of Tony Ryan's aircraft leasing company GPA after he decided that Aer Lingus needed a competitor. Ryanair was founded, and made its first flight out of Waterford in 1985, and despite strong resistance it went from strength to strength and was floated on the international stock markets. However, this put the company at risk until Michael O'Leary took it on a significant business and marketing journey that changed the face of European aviation forever.

Thu 27 Feb, 22:15 - 23:15 RTÉ One (Documentary)

For those of us who missed the first episode, it seems it can be seen on RTE’s Player, but I’m getting this message “Sorry, this content is currently not available in your region”. :(

Anybody else getting this message too?

See link.

Budget Parking at Shannon Airport (Limerick Post)

Passengers using Shannon Airport will shortly have an option of cheaper parking as the airport is opening a new carpark a short distance from the existing ones.

Airport Authority CEO, Neil Pakey revealed the plan to offer budget parking at a Shannon Chamber breakfast briefing on Wednesday morning.

“Taking a leaf out of Ryanair's book, we will be offering a 'park for less' option not far from the airport shortly.” Mr. Pakey said.

parkingmap.sflb.ashx

Last year, I read that they got planning permission for the reconfiguration of the Terminal Building Forecourt.

The development comprised of alterations to the existing terminal building traffic management system, the provision of a a new vehicle set down area, covered walkway, signage replacement, relocation of parking spaces, car park surface overlay and footpath re-instatement.

I presume this is now finished?

One thing going for Shannon is a good stock of car park space and its a strength they should leverage on. Remember a few years back there was parking on the left hand side just after the last roundabout for the industrial estate. If they offered free or very cheap parking somewhere that far out it would be another advantage as anybody reasonably fit could drop the family and the bags at the terminal and stroll back to the terminal in around 10 minutes.

Not sure what Dublin Airport charge but its probably around €50 for 2 weeks cheapest rate.

Not sure what Dublin Airport charge but its probably around €50 for 2 weeks cheapest rate.

If your not sure then why guess and post wrong infomation,m there is cheap and expensive parking availabel it just depends if people want to walk or catch a bus to the terimanl.

Yeah relaxed, your guess was €6 dearer than it actually is! :rolleyes:

Incidentally the cheapest Shannon had on offer was €69 for two weeks (15 days rounded).

• Advertisement

Charter Flight at Shannon for Horses (Limerick Leader)

A leading Irish horse trainer made arrangements for a special Emirates charter flight to land at Shannon Airport to transport horses to the Breeders’ Cup in California (October 2013).

It is understood that the leading horse trainer in question was Aiden O’Brien who had a number of horses competing at the Breeders’ Cup.

The Cashel based trainer struck gold in the Breeders’ Cup Turf when Magician rocketed to a sensational victory.

The Emirates SkyCargo plane boasts custom design stalls for horses, controlled temperature zones, and on board grooms to ensure the horses travel safety.

10543300344_11596749c8_c.jpg

I suppose the prize money is too small here to attract American horses to Ireland but the 3 $ million prize money was very worthwhile for Aiden O’Brien.

Will we see the likes of Bord na gCon flying out greyhounds to Miami too?

Image Donal Morrissey

10543300344_11596749c8_c.jpg

I suppose the prize money is too small here to attract American horses to Ireland but the 3 $ million prize money was very worthwhile for Aiden O’Brien.

Will we see the likes of Bord na gCon flying out greyhounds to Miami too?

Image Donal Morrissey

Are horses and greyhounds counted as passengers though?

Are horses and greyhounds counted as passengers though?
    Well for one thing, they certainly travelled first class! :P

Speaking of four legged creatures, Bóthar has been airlifting dairy cows, goats and pigs as humanitarian aid from Shannon Airport since 1991.

I wonder was this the basis that lead to a feasibility study, to explore the possibility of positioning Shannon Airport as an international hub for the storage and distribution of EU and UN emergency humanitarian supplies.

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for January reveal an overall increase in passengers of 2.4% against the same month from last year.

The positive growth figures at Stansted, Birmingham and Liverpool’s John Lennon airport were offset by falls at Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester and Edinburgh.

I wonder could an earlier Aer Lingus flight address the falling trend at Heathrow?

296693.png

LHR numbers dropped beacuse EI cut capacity from an A320 to A319. 30 seats per flgiht.

1 less rotation a week aswell, flying to Lanzarote saturday afternoon instead of LHR.

Interesting STN numbers went up when they cut a couple of flights a week to there!

• Advertisement

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]When did they switch that type of aircraft on the SNN-LHR route last year, so that we could start to compare like with like. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]30 fewer seats per flight would represent a -17% drop in capacity alone.[/FONT]

Oct 2013 is when they started flying A319 from SNN.

Oct 2013 is when they started flying A319 from SNN.

The 27 October however I think it didn't was mix of both types for the first week. The A320 was operating over Christmas and New Year so January figures are not fully accruate with A319 capacity as the 320 was flying for around 2 weeks in Jan.

Connect Ireland to launch campaign at Shannon Airport (Business & Leadership)

Clare hurling manager Davy Fitzgerald has teamed up with legendary rugby international Keith Wood in a new Connect Ireland campaign, which is launching at Shannon Airport.

They are the latest Connect Ireland ambassadors to spur parishes, clubs and communities to link up with family, friends and contacts abroad to sell Ireland, boost job creation and create a future in Ireland for our brightest and best.

A similar branding and information campaign at Dublin Airport has already helped create 300 direct jobs across Ireland.

Limerick Leader marks 125 years in print with exhibition at Shannon Airport (LL)

The exhibition features some of the most evocative images of life in Limerick during the 1970s, in a collaboration between the Limerick Museum and Archives (LM&A), the Limerick Leader and Limerick School of Art and Design (LSAD).

Over 180 images will go on display, including 69 created by third year students of the Limerick School of Art and Design in response to the Limerick Leader archive photographs.

The exhibition will run in Shannon Airport from Tuesday next, March 11 until September, when it will move into Limerick city.

The airport is getting very event orientated, do they have aspirations for convention centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Shannon Airport launches ‘Park4Less’, Ireland’s cheapest online airport car parking

10 March 2014

Shannon Airport passengers are about to enjoy the country’s cheapest online airport car parking as the airport launches a new Park4Less service to go with the commencement of nine new destinations this summer.

For more, see the airport's press releases section:
    http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/latest-news/latest-news/14-03-10/Shannon_Airport_launches_Park4Less_Ireland_s_cheapest_online_airport_car_parking.aspx

• Advertisement
Advertisement