Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World 7 s Rugby Last Week

Options
  • 28-08-2015 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Fairly hard hitting article in Limerick Leader about this (non) Event barely drawing a few Hundred spectators and questions of Local Authority funding being substantial towards the Event! I think the Rugby thing has been well flogged in Limerick!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I barely noticed it this year and last year only noticed it because the guys were clogging up the strand hotel gym.

I like rugby but that's not the same game I like. It's not enough to draw me out to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Derbhoy

To me it's not Rugby as we know it . It's not taken seriously in the Sporting World tbh! More an excuse for people to arrive in Drag and Fancy Dress and drink plenty of Beer ! It's a pity these people didn't come to Limerick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Derbhoy wrote: »
    To me it's not Rugby as we know it . It's not taken seriously in the Sporting World tbh! More an excuse for people to arrive in Drag and Fancy Dress and drink plenty of Beer ! It's a pity these people didn't come to Limerick.

It couldn't really be taken more seriously considering it's an Olympic Medal Event

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_sevens_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Tbh it's like a lot of things in limerick, badly marketed in my opinion. A lot of things you find out about them a few days before or after the event. A few signs at roundabouts and the odd ad in the local paper or 95fm doesn't cut it. Thomond park are terrible for it imo..They seem to think people will just turn up and are also often just too expensive for some of their events.
    Similarly some of the limerick festivals... A lot of people I know living outside the city in places like shannon or ennis or in limerick county never heard of the culture and chips thing, most have no idea what goes on at riverfest and I know loads of people who had no idea the 7 'S thing was on or what it was about.

That's just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The interest isn't there. It was club rugby 7's not the international 7's you would regularly see on telly. This competition would be better suited to Garryowen RFC, Crescent or Young Munsters not a 26,000 capacity stadium. It's filled with teams a lot of people wouldn't know with players playing that pretty much no one knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭phog

Derbhoy wrote: »
    Fairly hard hitting article in Limerick Leader about this (non) Event barely drawing a few Hundred spectators and questions of Local Authority funding being substantial towards the Event! I think the Rugby thing has been well flogged in Limerick!

I've no idea where they got this number from but if they were there and counted the number of spectators in only once section they'd know this "guesstimate" is grossly under estimated for the stand and terrace.

In saying that the event was poorly supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Garryowen Red

I think the 7's event can be very good, it's just not very well marketed as is very obvious. While last year wasn't a roaring success games were on Sat and Sun and televised which created some bit of a buzz, this years scheduling of games on a Friday afternoon was lunacy and really didn't help the situation. The other issue was that there were no marquee names there to generate a bit of interest, I suspect if we qualify for Rio 2016 the fact that the tournament will be run soon after might mean some interest for the Irish players playing and maybe some television coverage again which can only help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Berty wrote: »
    I barely noticed it this year and last year only noticed it because the guys were clogging up the strand hotel gym.

I like rugby but that's not the same game I like. It's not enough to draw me out to see it.

Same! Im in the Strand too....they were not *too* hard to look at though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Parchment wrote: »
    Same! Im in the Strand too....they were not *too* hard to look at though.

Hard not to trip over people in that gym to be fair. If only the treadmills had mirrors in front of them. I don't know how many times I could read the timetables for classes. :D

Can't perv on the treadmills either. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Berty wrote: »
    Hard not to trip over people in that gym to be fair. If only the treadmills had mirrors in front of them. I don't know how many times I could read the timetables for classes. :D

Can't perv on the treadmills either. :(

Ha! i can rattle off the "healthy" menu from upstairs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭moby2101

It's down to marketing or rather the complete lack of ...IMHO

check out the Kinsale 7's tournament(..perfect example, seeing as we're on the topic of rugby) that's been in existence for nearly 30 years and has to be one of the best weekends of rugby and craic there is in the country..we've been down 4 times in the last 8 or 9 years, ok so it has the benefit of running for quite some time but it's run by the local rugby club and you can't book a hotel room or b&b that weekend within an asses roar of Kinsale.
    We really need to look-at who sits on these boards and committees , they are clearly under performing time and time again in organisation and proper business ability.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Personally I think Munster Rugby made a massive mistake in building Thomond Park as big as they did, the old Thomond Park used to be full maybe three times a year (2 HEC Games and maybe the Leinster game), there was a great buzz about getting a ticket to a HEC game and it became the must see event in town, fables of getting into matches or securing a ticket were part of the buzz, they build a 26k stadium that they figured was going to be filled 7 or 8 times a year, they got away with it for a while with 10 year and season tickets, but once people realised that tickets were easy to come by they stopped getting those tickets.

I think there would be a great opportunity for a tag rugby "Super Cup" weekend that would run in conjunction with a big 7s tournament, unfortunately the powers that be in Thomond Park think that just being Thomond Park will be enough to get people to attend events.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Clareman wrote: »
    Personally I think Munster Rugby made a massive mistake in building Thomond Park as big as they did, the old Thomond Park used to be full maybe three times a year (2 HEC Games and maybe the Leinster game), there was a great buzz about getting a ticket to a HEC game and it became the must see event in town, fables of getting into matches or securing a ticket were part of the buzz, they build a 26k stadium that they figured was going to be filled 7 or 8 times a year, they got away with it for a while with 10 year and season tickets, but once people realised that tickets were easy to come by they stopped getting those tickets.

I think there would be a great opportunity for a tag rugby "Super Cup" weekend that would run in conjunction with a big 7s tournament, unfortunately the powers that be in Thomond Park think that just being Thomond Park will be enough to get people to attend events.

On your tag rugby point Limerick already hosts the largest tag rugby festival in the world out in d Cresent every year. I think that the sevens should be moved out to one of the clubs like Old Cresent and run in a similar way to the Pig n Porter where it is seen as this run festival to take part in. Thomand Park is too big for something like this and the crowds are always going to look small given the size of the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Toffeeboy

just so everyone knows. This is not a Thomond park or Munster rugby organised event. TP is rented out to some bloke/company that has organised this event.

I agree about lack of promotion of this event and the fact it was on a Friday afternoon. The weekend before they did have 2fm or todayfm out at the crescent sc talking about it but all a bit late then...

(7's just isnt big in ireland - IRFU dont have any interest in it either)

I think TP is probably a bit on the big side also. Then again some people think that the AVIVA stadium is too small since croke park used to be sold out for the 6 nations matches.

Toffeeboy wrote: »
    just so everyone knows. This is not a Thomond park or Munster rugby organised event. TP is rented out to some bloke/company that has organised this event.

I agree about lack of promotion of this event and the fact it was on a Friday afternoon. The weekend before they did have 2fm or todayfm out at the crescent sc talking about it but all a bit late then...

(7's just isnt big in ireland - IRFU dont have any interest in it either)

I think TP is probably a bit on the big side also. Then again some people think that the AVIVA stadium is too small since croke park used to be sold out for the 6 nations matches.

IRFU had the choice between having 3 provinces and a 7s team or 4 provinces, so they went with the 4 provinces.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

moby2101 wrote: »
    It's down to marketing or rather the complete lack of ...IMHO

check out the Kinsale 7's tournament(..perfect example, seeing as we're on the topic of rugby) that's been in existence for nearly 30 years and has to be one of the best weekends of rugby and craic there is in the country..we've been down 4 times in the last 8 or 9 years, ok so it has the benefit of running for quite some time but it's run by the local rugby club and you can't book a hotel room or b&b that weekend within an asses roar of Kinsale.
    We really need to look-at who sits on these boards and committees , they are clearly under performing time and time again in organisation and proper business ability.....

Isn't Kinsale more of a participation event where most, if not nearly all, of the people going down are there to play or know someone playing?

I think you're right about the marketing but because there's nothing to market. Even if you follow rugby you won't know half of these teams and non e of the players. It's being advertised as a big event when it really isn't.

Looking at last years fixtures Thomond Park was only sold out 3 times, I would question that those sell outs weren't actually full, more than the tickets were sold thanks to season and 10 year tickets, I would say the Pro12 semi final would be a fairly reasonable representation of the rugby going public in Limerick, to run a successful 7s competition would need massive promotion as well as top teams

Date Comp Home Score Away Venue Att
    Fri 5 Sep PRO12 Munster Rugby 13 - 14 Edinburgh Rugby Thomond Park 13,428
    Fri 19 Sep PRO12 Munster Rugby 31 - 5 Zebre Thomond Park 12,488
    Sat 27 Sep PRO12 Munster Rugby 14 - 19 Ospreys Thomond Park 13,547
    Fri 10 Oct PRO12 Munster Rugby 17 - 6 Scarlets Thomond Park 13,851
    Fri 24 Oct ERCHAMPC-P1 Munster Rugby 14 - 3 Saracens Thomond Park 26,000
    Fri 28 Nov PRO12 Munster Rugby 21 - 20 Ulster Rugby Thomond Park 17,101
    Sat 6 Dec ERCHAMPC-P1 Munster Rugby 16 - 9 ASM Clermont Auvergne Thomond Park 25,600
    Fri 26 Dec PRO12 Munster Rugby 28 - 13 Leinster Rugby Thomond Park 25,600
    Sun 25 Jan ERCHAMPC-P1 Munster Rugby 65 - 10 Sale Sharks Thomond Park 17,685
    Sat 28 Mar PRO12 Munster Rugby 42 - 20 Connacht Rugby Thomond Park 18,762
    Sat 23 May PRO12-PO Munster Rugby 21 - 18 Ospreys Thomond Park 16,158

Looking at last years fixtures Thomond Park was only sold out 3 times, I would question that those sell outs weren't actually full, more than the tickets were sold thanks to season and 10 year tickets, I would say the Pro12 semi final would be a fairly reasonable representation of the rugby going public in Limerick, to run a successful 7s competition would need massive promotion as well as top teams

Date Comp Home Score Away Venue Att
    Fri 5 Sep PRO12 Munster Rugby 13 - 14 Edinburgh Rugby Thomond Park 13,428
    Fri 19 Sep PRO12 Munster Rugby 31 - 5 Zebre Thomond Park 12,488
    Sat 27 Sep PRO12 Munster Rugby 14 - 19 Ospreys Thomond Park 13,547
    Fri 10 Oct PRO12 Munster Rugby 17 - 6 Scarlets Thomond Park 13,851
    Fri 24 Oct ERCHAMPC-P1 Munster Rugby 14 - 3 Saracens Thomond Park 26,000
    Fri 28 Nov PRO12 Munster Rugby 21 - 20 Ulster Rugby Thomond Park 17,101
    Sat 6 Dec ERCHAMPC-P1 Munster Rugby 16 - 9 ASM Clermont Auvergne Thomond Park 25,600
    Fri 26 Dec PRO12 Munster Rugby 28 - 13 Leinster Rugby Thomond Park 25,600
    Sun 25 Jan ERCHAMPC-P1 Munster Rugby 65 - 10 Sale Sharks Thomond Park 17,685
    Sat 28 Mar PRO12 Munster Rugby 42 - 20 Connacht Rugby Thomond Park 18,762
    Sat 23 May PRO12-PO Munster Rugby 21 - 18 Ospreys Thomond Park 16,158

The Pro12 SF had only one week to sell. Up to the previous Saturday Munster didn't know if they had a home SF nor who the opposition is.

You do realise that the country and the mid west in particular has been hit by a recession and immigration.

If we had the option of moving a few hundred meters to the Aviva like Leinster for a few games each year than the old stadium would have been grand for the rest of our games.
    The old stadium had a capacity of about 13k, that figure has been regularly passed in the new stadium. I'm not sure what the capacity of the new stadium should be but an increase from 13k was required.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Was it even 13k? I thought it was lower and about 10k which is tiny for a team of Munster's size.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Was it even 13k? I thought it was lower and about 10k which is tiny for a team of Munster's size.

It was just over 13k, http://www.munsterrugby.ie/rugby/results_and_fixtures.php?includeref=11678&season=2004-2005 and other seasons around that time were getting full houses a couple of times a year.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    The Pro12 SF had only one week to sell. Up to the previous Saturday Munster didn't know if they had a home SF nor who the opposition is.

I don't take the whole "week to sell it", it has gotten to the stage now that the Munster branch seem to think that Thomond Park will sell itself out, even the Munster Support Club email seems more about advertising that telling you about what's happening
    You do realise that the country and the mid west in particular has been hit by a recession and immigration.
    Oooh I do, and then some, 1 of the cuts I had to make was my season ticket, the Munster Branch seem more interested in milking their fans than providing value for money entertainment.
    If we had the option of moving a few hundred meters to the Aviva like Leinster for a few games each year than the old stadium would have been grand for the rest of our games.
    I always think we should look to Ravenhill rather than Leinster, Leinster is based out of Dublin with all that extra capacity, they didn't pump money into Donnybrook, they saw the RDS as a viable option and went with it, they are lucky to have the Aviva as an option to go for, Munster still have that option as well of course. Building a stadium for the hope of a home quarter final isn't a good idea imvho.

The old stadium had a capacity of about 13k, that figure has been regularly passed in the new stadium. I'm not sure what the capacity of the new stadium should be but an increase from 13k was required.
    I wouldn't say that 13k are regularily attending games, they are selling 13k ticekts for games but there isn't anything near that amount going for games, there's an awful lot of people with season or 10 year tickets that don't go to games, have a look at last years attendances and you'll notice every game has over 12k attendances and some have over 13k, I would say that the lowest attendance is the amount of "default" ticket sales and anything over that is walk up sales.

I don't take the whole "week to sell it", it has gotten to the stage now that the Munster branch seem to think that Thomond Park will sell itself out, even the Munster Support Club email seems more about advertising that telling you about what's happening

I've no idea why you discount the week to sell the Pro12 Semifinal :confused: It's an absolute fact. But even accounting for that - since the league introduced the playoffs our game had the 2nd highest attendance of them all, beaten only by Leinster v Ulster which had two Irish teams.

Have you made any suggestion to the MRSC about what you'd like to see in emails?
    Oooh I do, and then some, 1 of the cuts I had to make was my season ticket, the Munster Branch seem more interested in milking their fans than providing value for money entertainment.

Milking their fans? I find it great value and I think a Supporters Club is much more that a source of tickets. However, the product (the quality of the games) can be poor but we've seen an improvement in the last few seasons.

I always think we should look to Ravenhill rather than Leinster, Leinster is based out of Dublin with all that extra capacity, they didn't pump money into Donnybrook, they saw the RDS as a viable option and went with it, they are lucky to have the Aviva as an option to go for, Munster still have that option as well of course. Building a stadium for the hope of a home quarter final isn't a good idea imvho.

Leinster don't need to pump money into a stadium they have one on their doorstep and that's the point I was making. They do however have to pay significant rent for the use of the RDS and the Aviva.

I wouldn't say that 13k are regularily attending games, they are selling 13k ticekts for games but there isn't anything near that amount going for games, there's an awful lot of people with season or 10 year tickets that don't go to games, have a look at last years attendances and you'll notice every game has over 12k attendances and some have over 13k, I would say that the lowest attendance is the amount of "default" ticket sales and anything over that is walk up sales.

If the stadium stayed capped at 13,500 then that's the maximum number of ticket sales you could sell. Since the redevelopment of Thomond Park there has been 75 Munster games played there and of those 71 had an attendance greater then the previous capacity.

On the assumption that the average ticket cost is €25 per League/Amlin games and €30 for the Cup games then Munster gained approx €16m from those extra seats. That excludes any additional income from corporate boxes which was not really available to them in the old stadium.

Competition Games Additional Tickets Revenue
    Amlin 1 11407 €285,175
    Cup 25 290442 €8,713,260
    League 45 285825 €7,145,625
    Grand Total 71 587654 €16,144,060

I've no idea why you discount the week to sell the Pro12 Semifinal :confused: It's an absolute fact. But even accounting for that - since the league introduced the playoffs our game had the 2nd highest attendance of them all, beaten only by Leinster v Ulster which had two Irish teams.
    Fair enough, valid point well made
    Have you made any suggestion to the MRSC about what you'd like to see in emails?
    Yup, even suggested bringing back their old forum they had back in the day.
    Milking their fans? I find it great value and I think a Supporters Club is much more that a source of tickets. However, the product (the quality of the games) can be poor but we've seen an improvement in the last few seasons.
    I agree that the supporters club is more than just a source of tickets, but buying a season ticket is an expensive undertaking and if you don't make every game you are losing out. Doesn't help when you've to travel into games and Friday evenings being a nightmare.
    Leinster don't need to pump money into a stadium they have one on their doorstep and that's the point I was making. They do however have to pay significant rent for the use of the RDS and the Aviva.
    Again, valid point well made
    If the stadium stayed capped at 13,500 then that's the maximum number of ticket sales you could sell. Since the redevelopment of Thomond Park there has been 75 Munster games played there and of those 71 had an attendance greater then the previous capacity.

On the assumption that the average ticket cost is €25 per League/Amlin games and €30 for the Cup games then Munster gained approx €16m from those extra seats. That excludes any additional income from corporate boxes which was not really available to them in the old stadium.

Competition Games Additional Tickets Revenue
    Amlin 1 11407 €285,175
    Cup 25 290442 €8,713,260
    League 45 285825 €7,145,625
    Grand Total 71 587654 €16,144,060

Yes, bigger stadium means bigger attendances which will drive revenue that way, but it'll also mean bigger overheads (staffing, insurance, building). The old stadium needed to be updated, especially to cater for the corporate sector and I guess an argument could be made for any kind of development, personally I would LOVE a 15k stadium with access to the Gaelic Grounds for big games.

I would LOVE a 15k stadium with access to the Gaelic Grounds for big games.

That was never an option when the redevelopment was proposed, is it now even? The GAA has been very good to the IRFU but would they release their grounds for a Cup or League game, hard to know, there's still a lot of die hards out there.

That was never an option when the redevelopment was proposed, is it now even? The GAA has been very good to the IRFU but would they release their grounds for a Cup or League game, hard to know, there's still a lot of die hards out there.

If we get the Rugby World Cup then a number of GAA grounds will be upgraded to facilitate matches, that'll open up a few county grounds.

I think the vast majority of GAA supporters would be fine with opening up big grounds like the Gaelic Grounds from time to time, what they'd have a problem with is having to make every ground available, local GAA pitches, like local Rugby pitches, can't cope with the demands on them at the moment let alone allow access to other clubs.

If we get the Rugby World Cup then a number of GAA grounds will be upgraded to facilitate matches, that'll open up a few county grounds.

I think the vast majority of GAA supporters would be fine with opening up big grounds like the Gaelic Grounds from time to time, what they'd have a problem with is having to make every ground available, local GAA pitches, like local Rugby pitches, can't cope with the demands on them at the moment let alone allow access to other clubs.

That world cup is 2023 at least, 15 years after the redevelopment of Thomond Park. Could Munster Rugby have waited that long?

Even if we get the WC, I can only see one GAA ground in Munster being opened to rugby and if there's two I think they will be PUC and Thurles.

That world cup is 2023 at least, 15 years after the redevelopment of Thomond Park. Could Munster Rugby have waited that long?

Even if we get the WC, I can only see one GAA ground in Munster being opened to rugby and if there's two I think they will be PUC and Thurles.

They had to do something, in my opinion they went too big.

In regards to the GAA opening up, I'd say it won't be a blanket opening more a case like Croke Park where if a ground is wanted an application is made and dealt with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I thought Thurles was more or less ruled out due to poor infrastructure...ie getting there and staying there ( lack of hotels, decent road links etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Derbhoy

Thurles is a dump End of . Ok for GAA Games definitely not for RUGBY WC games.

• Advertisement

vkid wrote: »
    I thought Thurles was more or less ruled out due to poor infrastructure...ie getting there and staying there ( lack of hotels, decent road links etc).

By whom?

Advertisement