Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Program advice

Options
  • 10-04-2014 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone. Sorry for the length of the post I will try and give as much info as possible.
    Trying to decide what way to change up my program. I am 5'10 and 12 stone 4 and approx 13% bf (measured with calipers). I play Gaelic football/Hurling (full back/Center back) and rugby wing/fullback. As a result I am only getting to the gym twice a week generally at the moment. Sometimes I get a third day in but this is not every week. My goals are to increase power and speed for sport.Typical week would be

Mon - Gym
    Tues - Gaa
    Wed - Gym
    Thur - Rugby
    Fri - Gaa
    Sat - Rugby Match
    Sun - Gaa match (hurling or football)

At the moment I do the following in the gym -
    Day1 - Squat 5*5, Box jumps, DB Bench 5*5, WG Pullup 5*5, Upright Row 3*8, Weighted dips 3*10, DB curls 3*8, Box jumps/Plyometric jumps/Core/Balance excercises
    Day 2 - Deadlift 5*5, BB Shoulder Press 5*5, BB Bent over Row 5*5, Incline DB Bench 3*8, Skull Crusher 3*8, CG Chinups 3*8, Box jumps/Plyometric jumps/Core/Balance excercises

I have been doing this same program for approx 4-5 weeks now and I was wondering would I be better changing to an upper/lower body split or leave it as it is. Rugby should finish up within the next 3 weeks so I could go to a 3 day split chest/back - Legs - Shoulders/arms for example.

Basically just looking for some advice or recommendations to improve/change up the above.

Thanks for reading

Heroics

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Why do you want to change?
    There is a saying that often gets bandied around that is drastically misunderstood that you have to change your program every few weeks to keep your body from getting used to the routine.

It is both correct and incorrect. Your body will adapt to your routine, this is true. But if you add more weight to the bar you are changing enough that your body needs to re adapt to that weight. If you continue to add weight to the bar or change the speed your move the weights or change you rest times between sets then you can do the same lifts indefinitely.

Look at why you want to change. If you are doing it because you heard you need to change your routine every few weeks then just change the weight, speed or rest times.

If you just want a new routine then that's fine too.
    But if you're routine is working then don't fix what ain't broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There's also nothing wrong with giving your body a break on the day that will be free once rugby is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I suppose I just wanted to change because I had been told not to do the same session for too long. I generally try to add weight to the exercises every week even if it is only an extra kg or 2 and my strength is improving as is my rugby and Gaa. I will try changing the speed/rest times and see how that works for me

Once the rugby finishes up I had planned to do 3 days gym and 3 days Gaa and 1 day of rest. Its generally march/april and September every year that it is hard to get a day off. I always make sure to take one day off every 2 weeks though just to have a break.

Thanks for the responses

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

heroics wrote: »
    I suppose I just wanted to change because I had been told not to do the same session for too long. I generally try to add weight to the exercises every week even if it is only an extra kg or 2 and my strength is improving as is my rugby and Gaa. I will try changing the speed/rest times and see how that works for me

Once the rugby finishes up I had planned to do 3 days gym and 3 days Gaa and 1 day of rest. Its generally march/april and September every year that it is hard to get a day off. I always make sure to take one day off every 2 weeks though just to have a break.

Thanks for the responses

The same session is the same exercises with the same weights. You should see results if you're adding weight and doing the exercises correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

heroics wrote: »

Yeah that counts as a new routine. No one ever mentions that.

You don't need new routines every 3 weeks. Just change the one you have by increasing the weights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Thanks again guys. Appreciate the quick responses

Advertisement