Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoothie Advice

Options
  • 28-01-2014 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to shed about 6-8 pounds so to help on the diet side I got a blender. I made my first smoothie last night and thought it was delicious and was thinking of having one every morning and one around 8pm as a snack.

Just wondering if this would be overdoing it and I'm curious about the calorie content in one of these. To give an idea here is what was put in last night:

Greek Natural yogurt 80g
    Small punnet of blueberries 125g
    6-8 strawberries 125g
    2 bananas` ???

The one in the morning would be a substitute for breakfast but the one at night would be more a snack as I eat something small after work around 6pm. Usually soup or a brown bread sandwich.

My biggest meal of a normal day is at 1pm where I have a large dinner.

Thoughts & advice please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Read the stickies first, then come back with specific questions. We can't tell you much based on a snippet of your diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Since I started a few weeks back a typical day would be:

8:30am Breakfast:
    Bowl of cereal or scrambled eggs (3)

11am
    Snack - apple, banana, or pear

1pm Dinner
    Varies - usually meat or fish, plenty of veg and sometimes some poatatoes

3-4pm
    Snack - fruit again

6pm
    Soup and brown bread sandwich (tuna, checken, turkey).

9pm
    More fruit

I drink mostly water as I've given up tea and coffee since the New Year.

I want to replace breakfast and 9pm snacks with a smoothie with contents and size similar to smoothie in original post.

Just wondering am I overloading on fruit and is two smoothies of that size a day a bit over the top?

I play soccer twice a week (1 hour each) and run twice a week (40 mins each). I'm planning on keeping this diet up for about 6 weeks as I want to trim down a little. I'm slim enough already but carrying a little excess - belly, sides, back (the usual).

You dont mention quantities so its really hard to say. I'd guess you arent eating enough protein or fat.

Track your intake for a week or so using an app or website.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you're planning on having the same amount of fruit in the smoothie as you do as a snack, don't bother.

If you're planning on having more through smoothies than you currently are, then don't.

Eat the fruit. It's better that way because your body has to process it.

It's not the fruit that will undo your diet anyway. What's the cereal you have for breakfast?

If you're planning on having the same amount of fruit in the smoothie as you do as a snack, don't bother.

If you're planning on having more through smoothies than you currently are, then don't.

Eat the fruit. It's better that way because your body has to process it.

It's not the fruit that will undo your diet anyway. What's the cereal you have for breakfast?

No, way more fruit going into the smoothie - details in orginal post. A snack would be one item of fruit.

I introduced the smoothie as eating the fruit all the time was getting a bit tedious and I really enjoy them.

Cornflakes. I know, not great which is again why I want to replace it with a smoothie. Or at least scrambled eggs.

My main concern is about the plan to have a 2nd one later at night. Is this too much fuit going into the system later on at night? I typically go to bed at around midnight.

Any ideas on a nightly snack that is not too high in calories but won't leave me hungry going to bed (which I hate).

• Advertisement

jimmurt wrote: »
    No, way more fruit going into the smoothie - details in orginal post. A snack would be one item of fruit.

I introduced the smoothie as eating the fruit all the time was getting a bit tedious and I really enjoy them.

Cornflakes. I know, not great which is again why I want to replace it with a smoothie. Or at least scrambled eggs.

My main concern is about the plan to have a 2nd one later at night. Is this too much fuit going into the system later on at night? I typically go to bed at around midnight.

Any ideas on a nightly snack that is not too high in calories but won't leave me hungry going to bed (which I hate).

Eat enough food during the day and you won't be hungry going to bed.

Have scrambled eggs for breakfast. or porridge/oatbran. Or meat. Cereal is pretty much rubbish.

Puttign way more fruit into a smoothie isn't going to help you much if you're looking to shed a few pounds.

Eat proper-sized meals and get plenty of protein and you won't be needing to snack.

Eating late at night isn't a problem really. Having a second smoothie is grand, but only if it fits into your daily requirements. You really need to track a day/weeks intake and see where you stand, it looks like you aren't eating enough protein or fats but we cant really tell at this stage.

Eating late at night isn't a problem really. Having a second smoothie is grand, but only if it fits into your daily requirements. You really need to track a day/weeks intake and see where you stand, it looks like you aren't eating enough protein or fats but we cant really tell at this stage.

That's the 2nd post saying there's not enough protein :pac:

Scambled eggs for breakfast.

I then have a large enough meal at 1pm which always comprises of some type of meat or fish. Think typical carvery lunch, but with smaller portion of potatoe replaced by extra veg.

6pm meal will involve some meat too. Chicken sandwich.

Is this still low on protein? I would have thought that was plenty.

On the fats, I'm avoiding at the moment as this is a six week plan to drop half a stone. After that I will alter to maintain the weight.

I find it hard to lose the excess I have as I'm slim enough already and it's in the hard to reach places :(

I'm 5'7'' 160lbs - male.

That's the 2nd post saying there's not enough protein :pac:

Scambled eggs for breakfast.

I then have a large enough meal at 1pm which always comprises of some type of meat or fish. Think typical carvery lunch, but with smaller portion of potatoe replaced by extra veg.

6pm meal will involve some meat too. Chicken sandwich.

Is this still low on protein? I would have thought that was plenty.

On the fats, I'm avoiding at the moment as this is a six week plan to drop half a stone. After that I will alter to maintain the weight.

I find it hard to lose the excess I have as I'm slim enough already and it's in the hard to reach places :(

I'm 5'7'' 160lbs - male.

I don't know, how many grams of protein is it? Do you know how many grams you should be eating a day? What exercise are you doing?

Fat doesn't make you fat by the way. You should not avoid it, it is essential.

Read the stickies ;)

Unless you're getting a couple of breasts of chicken into that sandwich, it's not that high on protein.

But ultimately, your best bet is to use something like myfitnesspal, be honest and you'll see how many calories you're getting in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement