Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to give up bread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You could trey making your own Paleo bread. I eat a paleo diet 80% of the time which means no dairy, no bread, no pasta, rice etc..basically just fruit, veg, meat, fish, nuts, and eggs. Paleo bread is made from almond / coconut flour and is completely carb free - google it youll get all the info!

How is that Paleo? We had surplus coconuts back in the day did we? Whats wrong with carbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

How is that Paleo? We had surplus coconuts back in the day did we? Whats wrong with carbs?

coco-'nuts'

don't get too hung up on was it exactly what a Neanderthal ate, most are eating modified form of paleo. Some people function better and are healthier without processed carbs others function fine and others just get fat, unhealthy and couldn’t give a s**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

siochain wrote: »
    coco-'nuts'

don't get too hung up on was it exactly what a Neanderthal ate, most are eating modified form of paleo. Some people function better and are healthier without processed carbs others function fine and others just get fat, unhealthy and couldn’t give a s**t.

Coco-'pops'.

siochain wrote: »
    coco-'nuts'

The term "paleo" should be banned :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'm not a huge fan of reducing variety in a diet in general. Little bits of a lot of different stuff... keep it fresh, and keep it to 'real food' rather than xanthem gums, or malodextrins (which are about the equivalent of eating a pack of non-toxic crayons in my mind).

I know eliminating things until you have a tiny allowed diet of safe foods is fashionable, but I think people can take the wrong message from 'eat less white bread'.

So sure, if you eat white mass produced bread every single day, no harm to ease off on it. But one or two bits of homemade wholegrain bread once a week should give you something useful in your diet. Or even breads made from different grains. Or add more pulses, different types of veg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭HeeBeeGeeBee

Tiny tiny gut, really small but bothers me. Not sure whether it was caused by booze or 'wheat belly' but it has decreased substabtially and I can now fit into my old 30 waist jeans.

Still though - I'm worried about continuing to eat bread in case it develops again.

On a side night, would Jacobs Cream Crackers with low fat butter be a suitable, lower calorie alternative?

Hi mate,

I have the same problem. Workout regularly, don't drink anymore and still find it hard to get rid of that small amount of fat on the gut. I definitely notice it pretty much disappears once I havent eaten any bread and as soon as I have any it returns and makes me feel bloated. Think I'm going to join you in giving it up. Perhaps we can keep each other posted. Best of luck. PS I find water biscuits are great as an alternative.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Plenty of carbs in your fruit and veg.

Plenty of carbs in your fruit and veg.

I don't see how that is relevant.

It is if you're a greengrocer with a bakery next door.

You asked what is wrong with carbs, presumably because there are no 'carbs' like bread, potatoes etc. There are carbs in the fruit and veg so there is no particular avoidance of carbs.

• Advertisement

You asked what is wrong with carbs, presumably because there are no 'carbs' like bread, potatoes etc. There are carbs in the fruit and veg so there is no particular avoidance of carbs.

I'm not sure why you are speaking for somone else, i guess its a slow day? I was referring specifically to the posters statement that "Paleo bread is made from almond / coconut flour and is completely carb free" and asking what was wrong with carbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Paleo bread is made from almond / coconut flour and is completely carb free
    coconut flour & almond flour do have carbs.

There are 2 types of coconut flour, one is finely ground coconut, the other is a fat reduced product intended as a wheat flour substitute for baking. Since they take some fat out the other stuff increases in %.

This "baking coconut flour" is 21.7% carbs

http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=4445

This dessicated cocount is 6.4% carbs which would be similar to finely ground coconut flour
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=253227765

Fruits and veg have "simple carbs" that are easy for the body to digest. Bread and other starches on the other hand have "complex carbohydrates" that most people's digestive systems find it very hard to break down hence the bloated feeling and stodginess that comes with eating a diet full of complex carbs in bread for example. Paleo bread is free from complex carbs. And too much complex carbs in your diet is bad for you.

You are very broadly linking all bread as being the same, which it isn't. Claiming that "most people" find them hard to digest is not correct and requires substantiation via a link please. I may be incorrect here but it seems that you are actually referring to gluten intolerance or coeliac disease.

Too much of anything in your diet is probably bad for you, we can agree on that.

FYI - coconut isn't the best thing to swap to if you have digestive issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Hi mate,

I have the same problem. Workout regularly, don't drink anymore and still find it hard to get rid of that small amount of fat on the gut. I definitely notice it pretty much disappears once I havent eaten any bread and as soon as I have any it returns and makes me feel bloated. Think I'm going to join you in giving it up. Perhaps we can keep each other posted. Best of luck. PS I find water biscuits are great as an alternative.

Hi mate, thanks for your reply :)

Definitely keep each other posted! Had 3 slices of toast this morning and hoping they're my last now for the rest of January, gonna quit for the rest of the month and see how I fair- will be hard going but worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭HeeBeeGeeBee

Hi mate, thanks for your reply :)

Definitely keep each other posted! Had 3 slices of toast this morning and hoping they're my last now for the rest of January, gonna quit for the rest of the month and see how I fair- will be hard going but worth it!

I just brought a sandwich in there for my lunch and Im going to attempt to do the same - Keep me posted :)

Substantiation? Really! Think about it. Agriculture (ie bread and other cultivated products) has been in existence for approx 10,000 years. People have been in existence for approx 2million. Our bodies were not designed to digest the types of food produced by agriculture. Whether you feel unwell after eating or not is not the issue, you may have no symptoms even though your body can't digest it however the majority of people, like everyone has said above, experience some form of bloating. And yes this does include all bread unless you can find a grain free bread such as paleo bread. Wholewheat bread is also bad.

Many people eat paleo then reintroduce foods slowly to see what does and doesn't agree with their body.

http://www.limitless365.com/2012/11/04/paleo-why-no-grains-dairy-and-legumes/
    http://bigthink.com/think-tank/the-caveman-diet?utm_source=Daily+Ideafeed+Newsletter&utm_campaign=aa50a7552e-Daily_Ideafeed_May_14_2011&utm_medium=email
    http://robbwolf.com/what-is-the-paleo-diet/

There's all the info if you would like to educate yourself further.

You are posting broscience - links or gtfo :) A blogpost with 0 reference to scientific papers is NOT a valid reference.

Here's one link and a good example of why substantiation with scientific data is important.

http://www.pnas.org/content/107/44/18815

Note that it shows that grain processing was around 30000 years ago, not 10000 as you suggest.

You cant just claim "the majority" of people have issues.

Ok then let's do it this way!

Honestly, how much do you weigh? :)

What's that got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Substantiation? Really!

Yes, really. You stated that most people struggle to digest bread, which is factually incorrect.

If you want to stand by your claim, and continue a logical discussion then you need to provide some scientific, peer-reviewed evidence to support it, instead of links to blog articles and websites whose aim is to promote the paleo lifestyle.

There is a derogatory tone to some of your posts, I'm sure many would appreciate if you left that out.

Substantiation? Really!.

It's like transubstantiation but without the trans fats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Bubbles12345

lol! Because I would put any money on it you're overweight and in denial!

I came on this to give this guy an alternative option to bread not to try and persuade a bunch of people that are in denial and convince themselves stuffing your body with crap and processed food is good for you.

Leaving this post now and going for a slad - try it sometime.

Happy heart attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I came on this to give this guy an alternative option to bread not to try and persuade a bunch of people that are in denial and convince themselves stuffing your body with crap and processed food is good for you.

Happy heart attack.

Cop out.

Happy heart attack.

I am 86 kg and lift heavy 4 days a week. But hey, don't let the fact that i am in good shape upset you. You don't need to be in good shape to be able to read.

I rarely eat bread, not because I think its bad for me but because my meals are all protein focused.

Did you think attacking me personally would bolster your claims?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I like the idea of giving up bread as it really is just something to make eating the contents of a sandwich easier. Are there no shop bought alternatives that could be used to make a sandwich that do more or less the same thing but without calories etc?

I just realised I haven't had bread in ages. Weeks or months. I didn't actually intend to give it up but I seem to have given it up.

And I used like meat 'n' cheese toasties from the George Foreman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I like the idea of giving up bread as it really is just something to make eating the contents of a sandwich easier. Are there no shop bought alternatives that could be used to make a sandwich that do more or less the same thing but without calories etc?

salads

Iceberg lettuce - wrap
    Roast beef/pork/ham cut into thick chunks - sliced pan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Lunchbox meals are easy to bring to work and don't need bread.

Contents could include:

Any meat
    Fish
    Cottage cheese/ cheddar/ brie/ feta
    Cherry tomatoes
    Spinach/ lettuce
    Cashews/ walnuts/ almonds
    Beetroot
    Pickles
    Boiled eggs
    Kidney beans/ chickpeas/ cannellini beans

I add a dash of balsamic as a dressing and it's yum. Easy to throw together and easy to make it slightly different each day.

Lunchbox meals are easy to bring to work and don't need bread.

Contents could include:

Any meat
    Fish
    Cottage cheese/ cheddar/ brie/ feta
    Cherry tomatoes
    Spinach/ lettuce
    Cashews/ walnuts/ almonds
    Beetroot
    Pickles
    Boiled eggs
    Kidney beans/ chickpeas/ cannellini beans

I add a dash of balsamic as a dressing and it's yum. Easy to throw together and easy to make it slightly different each day.

Don't sit beside me, thanks :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

I've had half a baguette since Thursday - tough going but I think I'm doing ok :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Cut out bread myself to there since the Christmas holidays, however don't know how long I'll be able to keep it going when I get back to college, so handy to just bring a sandwich sometimes!

Advertisement