Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anybody out there tried the NUPO diet?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

would it not make more sense though to change your eating habits from day one, rather than needlessly forking out 80 quid a week for what is essentially whey protein with a bit of carbs added?

For me, no. It acted as a buffer between eating crap and eating healthy. I seen short term results that increased my motivation. After a week I was able to run a bit further because I was carrying less weight. I started logging what I was eating and I started guzzling water. It was easy near the end of the diet to substitute real food at regular times for the Nupo.

On the Whey-I purchased a tub of it before and I found that I was still hungry after a shake.I'm not saying it doesn't work but it didn't for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

shezer wrote: »
    For me, no. It acted as a buffer between eating crap and eating healthy. I seen short term results that increased my motivation. After a week I was able to run a bit further because I was carrying less weight. I started logging what I was eating and I started guzzling water. It was easy near the end of the diet to substitute real food at regular times for the Nupo.

On the Whey-I purchased a tub of it before and I found that I was still hungry after a shake.I'm not saying it doesn't work but it didn't for me.

I don't think the groutch was suggesting you use whey. Whey is not a weight loss product or meal replacement, it's a protein supplement.

Those short term results/benefits you outlined are perfectly achievable through eating real food on a sufficient caloric deficit. The difference in that by doing it that way it's actually sustainable and doesn't come with the ludicrous price tag NUPO apparently has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

shezer wrote: »

So you paid 80-100 euro to eat less food per week. You know you can do that for free and in a far more healthy/sustainable manner, right?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Nupo Meal Replacement bar:
    Protein blend (whey protein concentrate, milk protein isolate*, hydrolysed gelatine**, calcium caseinate*, emulsifier: Soya Lecithin, dark chocolate coating (13%) (cacao mass, sugar, cacao butter, emusifier: soya lecithin, flavour), humectant: glycerine, peppermint fudge (sugar, vegetable fat, glycose syrup, water, skimmed milk powder, salt, emulsifier E472c, preservative E202, natural mint flavouring, thickener E401, colours: E142, E161), fructo-oligosaccharide, water, sweeteners: maltitol, steviol glycosides), dried glycose syrup, fat-reduced cocoa powder, mineral blend (potassium phosphate, milk mineral complex, salt, magnesium oxide, ferric pyrophosphate, zinc oxide, copper gluconate, manganese sulphate, potassium iodide, sodium selenite), sunflower oil, vegetable oil, flavourings, vitamin blend (dextrose monohydrate, ascorbic acid, vitamin E-acetate, niacinamide, biotin, vitamin A-acetate, calcium_D_pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, cholecalciferol, thiamine hydrochloride, riboflavin, vitamin B12),antioxidant: mixed tocopherols.
    *from milk. ** from animal (bovine)

Sugar, sugar and more sugar. This is not good for you! It has 214 cals per 60g. A mars bar has 229 in 51g. You might as well eat the mars bar. Its cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Oryx wrote: »
    Nupo Meal Replacement bar:

Sugar, sugar and more sugar. This is not good for you! It has 214 cals per 60g. A mars bar has 229 in 51g. You might as well eat the mars bar. Its cheaper.

The irony in that is in there booklet they recommend you drink water but if not at least go for sugar free beverages.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭5littleangels

I just tried a Nupo meal replacement bar coconut flavor 225 calories. It was inedible just the smell made me retch. I tried cutting a piece off and tasting it but it just tasted terrible it made me think that this is what rat poison must taste like. I also tried the 95 calories cereal bar in dark chocolate and almond that was fine but pretty tastless and very hard to bite into. I will defs never buy either again.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭5littleangels

signmeup wrote: »
    Once again, it is your definition of what is healthy, and what is a crash diet.
    My diet is a sustainable (for me) , and as stated I've lived like this for nearly 3 years (but maybe you consider 3 years short term too?)

I am only putting another point of view across. I visit the doctor every 6 months and have blood tests, and a full check up. I was there just last weeks, and my doctor said I was in 100% healthy, better than I have been at any point in the past. I believe ( and have read much published research on the matter) that keeping a low body weight in one of the most important factors to long term health. There are MANY different theories as to what is healthy , and what is not. And lots of published material to defend different opinions. It is not an exact science.

I have never, and would never promote what I consider to be an unhealthy lifestyle. My point is that just because my opinion and experience does not conform to your idea of what everyone should be doing , it does not make my opinion wrong. Its an alternative.

what is your bmi if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 calmcghee93

I actually really like the bars although they come free with every 20 euro box in the pharmacy I buy from so I don't buy them voluntarily. I try to eat half of one one day, the other half the next etc. Tomorrow I will have been on this diet for 2 weeks. I've followed it religiously - 4 shakes, 2 soups a day - except for the odd nibble on one of the bars, and one night I drank wine and had a slice of pizza. I checked last week and I had lost 7 pounds, not sure what my current weight is, but I can certainly feel the difference - no more chins! This diet really seems to be working for me, as the only problem I have is constant fantasies about takeaways etc, but everyone else in the world has to be careful about giving in to temptation so there's no real side effect for me

I actually really like the bars although they come free with every 20 euro box in the pharmacy I buy from so I don't buy them voluntarily. I try to eat half of one one day, the other half the next etc. Tomorrow I will have been on this diet for 2 weeks. I've followed it religiously - 4 shakes, 2 soups a day - except for the odd nibble on one of the bars, and one night I drank wine and had a slice of pizza. I checked last week and I had lost 7 pounds, not sure what my current weight is, but I can certainly feel the difference - no more chins! This diet really seems to be working for me, as the only problem I have is constant fantasies about takeaways etc, but everyone else in the world has to be careful about giving in to temptation so there's no real side effect for me

So you didn't really follow it religiously then, did you? Why don't you follow a proper eating regime that doesn't have you starving yourself and fantasizing about food :)

FYI, you need to go to your doctor next week if you are still on this "diet".

• Registered Users Posts: 5 calmcghee93

So you didn't really follow it religiously then, did you? Why don't you follow a proper eating regime that doesn't have you starving yourself and fantasizing about food :)

FYI, you need to go to your doctor next week if you are still on this "diet".

Why would I have to go to the doctor? I feel great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Why would I have to go to the doctor? I feel great!

From the NUPO website:

"Under current law, full diet replacement should not be used for longer than 3 weeks without medical supervision"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

It's being explicitly advertised as "A very low calorie diet"...almost as if that's a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

It's being explicitly advertised as "A very low calorie diet"...almost as if that's a good thing.

VLCD have some medical benefits and can improve health greatly - this could be reason why they are mentioning it. Of course that is not useful info for regular consumer, but nutrition industry seems to be.. well.. not exactly honest.

September1 wrote: »
    VLCD have some medical benefits and can improve health greatly - this could be reason why they are mentioning it. Of course that is not useful info for regular consumer, but nutrition industry seems to be.. well.. not exactly honest.

I doubt the OP is on this diet because they have diabetes etc. They are on it to lose weight.

That's not why NUPO advises doctors consultation anyway. Its advised because the diet is harmful to your health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ventricular tachycardia sounds like fun.

Advertisement