Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anybody out there tried the NUPO diet?

Options
  • 13-11-2013 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

The nupo diet is available in Sam Macaulay chemists, if you don't know it consists of shakes, soups and bars(meal replacements) there are different ways of doing it but the one im doing i can have 6 shakes a day, or i can replace one of those with a meal replacement bar.this is a very low calorie diet however all the vitamins , nutrients ect that the body needs is in the shakes.

just wondering if there is anyone out there who has tried this and has any advice to give. or just let me know how you got on and did you get results?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

avoid diets like these like the plague.
    they are incredibly low calorie (usually under 1,000 per day), and although you will lose some weight, it will slow down your metabolism to a crawl and you'll stop losing weight, and as soon as you stop the diet you'll regain all the weight and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

i know i am aware of this, however i am just using this diet as a kind of kick start back into losing weight again

• Registered Users Posts: 39,088 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

.this is a very low calorie diet however all the vitamins , nutrients ect that the body needs is in the shakes.
    I know thats what the website says, but its contradiction. The nutrients your body needs includes protein, carbs, fat and by extension calories. The whole premise of weight loss works under under cutting slightly.

The shakes are 115 cals or so each. 115 x 6 is 690. Unless you're tiny, then thats far too little. Your body doesn't need "kickstarting". There's no benefit to that approach. And its kind of mentality that leans to yo-yo dieting. See "losing weight again".

As for the products themselves. It's basically protein powder, some carbs and a multi vitamin. 40% protein, 37% carbs (18% sugar)
    And that protein is pretty low quality too. The cost is ridiculous also.
    They are 20 euro for 12 servings of protein powder. And works out at over 50 euro/kilo. That's about triple the price of a similar product sold in a large bag.

I don't have an issue with meal replacement shakes when they are used properly. But the above is not even close to getting ti right.
    So, the approach is crap, VLCD are crap, and the product is crap.
    Easy decision tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You'd be better off using an app or a website to track what you are eating and adjust that. Dropping your calories from maintenance to say 10% under and work from there is a lot more sustainable than chronically undereating. You'll just be tired, emotional and probably throw all the weight back on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dolly2012

I am starting nupo tmrw.? Did u have any luck how did you get on?

• Advertisement

dolly2012 wrote: »
    I am starting nupo tmrw.? Did u have any luck how did you get on?

I got on great after, best of luck with it. I drank the 6 shakes a day but replaced 1 shake most days with the meal replacement bar as its nice to actually chew food when all your doing is drinking lol. but i actually felt quite full i enjoyed the drinks and i defiantly lost weight over the 2 weeks.

then at the weekend after the 2 weeks i was away and hand no nupo. I then stopped doing it saying that i would start my own diet 1200 calories per day which has not worked for me. so looks like im going to be starting nupo tomorrow aswell hopefully :) it really does work. it just takes determination i suppose. and also the money side of it i find you can actually save money it costs 10 euro per day but if i add up the money i spend on food a day it can be a lot more than that..

let me know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

it really does work. it just takes determination i suppose.

Oh it works does it? Anything you have to go 'back' to isn't something that works IMO.

What are your thoughts on living on shakes for the rest of your life? Because as you said, eating 1200 isn't working for you. You already pointed out that you like 'chewing'.

These shakes are not sustainable in the long run and most people will lose weight when using them but the weight will come back when they start eating 'normally' again.

You are learning nothing about nutrition by having shakes.

Educate yourself on healthy eating.

Oh it works does it? Anything you have to go 'back' to isn't something that works IMO.

What are your thoughts on living on shakes for the rest of your life? Because as you said, eating 1200 isn't working for you. You already pointed out that you like 'chewing'.

These shakes are not sustainable in the long run and most people will lose weight when using them but the weight will come back when they start eating 'normally' again.

You are learning nothing about nutrition by having shakes.

Educate yourself on healthy eating.

Hi. i do actually agree with you and i know about healthy eating unfortunately for me i find it difficult to stay eating this way,

however i did not start this thread to argue with anyone, i started this thread to talk about nupo, which has been out for over 30 years to talk to people about it and so on. Not to argue. I know what you are saying and completely understand.

Hi. i do actually agree with you and i know about healthy eating unfortunately for me i find it difficult to stay eating this way,

Try find the root of this problem. Shakes will not help you find it.
    however i did not start this thread to argue with anyone, i started this thread to talk about nupo, which has been out for over 30 years to talk to people about it and so on. Not to argue. I know what you are saying and completely understand.

Who's arguing? I've just pointed out that it's not healthy or sustainable and you will more than likely put back on any weight that you lose.

Waste of time in my opinion.

Either address the root cause of your weight issue or be comfortable with who you are.

All the best.

Try find the root of this problem. Shakes will not help you find it.

Who's arguing? I've just pointed out that it's not healthy or sustainable and you will more than likely put back on any weight that you lose.

Waste of time in my opinion.

Either address the root cause of your weight issue or be comfortable with who you are.

All the best.

i agree with you.

• Advertisement

"Eat less food to lose weight" has been out for a lot more than 30 years and that's all that this is really. Eating too little is counter productive though and 1200 calories is a pretty small amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

A few friends of mine have done the NUPO diet and in fairness to 'somegirl2009' it does work, temporarily. So if you have a wedding or a special occasion coming up soon and you need a 'quick fix' then judging by my friends results, I'd say go for it.

However 'Stench Blossoms' is also right because you will definitely put back on the weight, plus more.

My friends eat rabbit food now with no nutritional value whatsoever and they are constantly struggling to maintain/lose.

I on the other hand eat far more than 1200 calories a day and am never left feeling hungry or deprived.

Eat clean. Eat less. Moderation.

It's that simple.

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    it does work, temporarily.

That's not exactly a classic definition of working though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

That's not exactly a classic definition of working though :pac:

It works because you do get results.

It lies because they don't last.

:pac:

drinking the shakes alone per day i think its around 700 calorie intake! which i know is extremely low however it will create weight loss.... i agree with you all it may be very hard to sustain... there is no way you could drink this forever.. but for me it gave me the kick start i needed to loose weight

drinking the shakes alone per day i think its around 700 calorie intake! which i know is extremely low however it will create weight loss.... i agree with you all it may be very hard to sustain... there is no way you could drink this forever.. but for me it gave me the kick start i needed to loose weight

Not hard to sustain, dangerous to sustain. If you are only consuming 700 calories a day on a regular basis please contact a doctor as soon as possible.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

So what are you doing after the kickstart? Are you managing to continue your weight loss?

Not hard to sustain, dangerous to sustain. If you are only consuming 700 calories a day on a regular basis please contact a doctor as soon as possible.

its not recommended to do that particular diet for more than 3 weeks without getting medical assessment.

Oryx wrote: »
    So what are you doing after the kickstart? Are you managing to continue your weight loss?

well im not sure as i have to buy myself a good weigh scales...but i think the answer to that question is no !

its not recommended to do that particular diet for more than 3 weeks without getting medical assessment.

Yes, because its dangerous. Does that not say something to you about it?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

well im not sure as i have to buy myself a good weigh scales...but i think the answer to that question is no !
    So as a kickstart, it's a bit of a fail, right?

This kind of diet is popular because it removes the need to make food choices. The choice is made for you, you don't have to think about what to eat. You eat your bar, or shake, job done. But you dont learn anything, and your body is being yoyo'd between a poor normal diet and a wierd starvation diet.

Ultimately unless you learn to make good food choices, that you can maintain as part of everyday life, you will end up going from your normal diet to these packet diets and back again because neither work for you. Its no way to live, to be honest. Changing to a clean diet is very hard, I wont lie. But once you are clear of 'bad' foods a while, it gets remarkably easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dolly2012

Thanks some girl,;) some ppl just need a kick start its personal decision of what that kick start is , I'll be doin one meal per day

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Once upon a time I'd have liked the idea of a diet like that. Mind you, I could never have gone through with it cos it's not eating. There's a perception that eating clean means that you get no enjoyment out of eating. I like to enjoy eating, not just see it as a means of taking fuel on board. But eating good, decent (aka clean) food is enjoyable. You just need to educate yourself on what good food is rather than rely on kickstarts that don't actually kickstart anything other than a short-term 'diet' that ultimately fails. People need to stop looking for a quick fix. You've a lot of life ahead. I believe it was Plato who said "Three week 'diets' are bollocks". And on that note, take care of yourselves...aaaaaaand each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

If you want to lose weight eat proper food and cycle every day.

Easy

dolly2012 wrote: »
    Thanks some girl,;) some ppl just need a kick start its personal decision of what that kick start is , I'll be doin one meal per day

"doing" one meal per day will achieve what exactly? Your meals don't exist in a vacuum, you need to look at your total intake a work out what you should be eating - its not even hard these days with all the websites that will assist you.

Some people need to use their heads and realise there is no magic tapeworm you can buy to make you lose weight - you just need to eat correctly. I don't understand why people set out to sabotage themselves with stuff like this tbh.

All the best anyway, let us know how it turns out.

Ya know, just as an experiment I might actually try one of these fad diets and see how long it takes before I crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,088 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think "kickstart" is my new least favourite health and fitness buzz words.
    It's utter tripe.

To any would be kickstarter, what do you expect will happen when you go back to being clueless about food choices in 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Mellor wrote: »
    To any would be kickstarter, what do you expect will happen when you go back to being clueless about food choices in 3 weeks.
    Convince yourself you tried to diet but it's just too hard /my body doesn't work like that /it's genetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

Convince yourself you tried to diet but it's just too hard /my body doesn't work like that /it's genetic.

:-)
    Don't forget:

I'm big boned, my whole family are.
    I must have thyroid problems.
    My body wants me to be this size.
    It's easier for you skinny people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

While I agree 100% that adopting a healthier lifestyle is about making sustainable choices and am in no way in favour of fad diets....I don't think it's fair to keep putting people down. The OP started this thread as a means of communicating with other users of the NUPO diet - he/she wasn't asking for advice on nutrition.

Just sayin'.

Advertisement