Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

burpee hell....

Options
  • 10-04-2014 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

32 female approx 3.5 stone over weight, joined a crossfit type gym a few weeks ago. Do one personal training session and 3 classes a week. While I do struggle at times I can at least make a good attempt at all exercises but I cannot do burpees for love nor money... its kinda embarrassing in class.... any tips on how to master these killers!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

I'm afraid the only answer is to do more burpees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Do you mean you cannot get the technique right or you gas out very quickly doing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Concentrate on doing them properly and you'll be the only one in the class doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Don't worry, burpees hate you too. ;)

The only answer here is to slow it down. I'm a very big guy and burpees are a dreadful experience. I always just try and focus on moving well and consistently through each one.

Burpees are a crude test of many different things so they'll get easier as numerous things change and improve - i.e. you get lighter, you get fitter, you get stronger. Just keep it to a pace that allows you to do one good one, then the next one, etc. If this means you're slower than the rest of the class so be it. There's nothing to be embarassed about on that score.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

start with just squat thrusts/half burpees. That's my advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I'm sure since it's a Crossfit gym your trainer has noticed you struggling and will alter your program accordingly...

single-tumbleweed-o.gif

But in all seriousness burpees are only popular because they're really tortuous and people associate this with results. This is a mistake. Asking someone that overweight to do them even though she can't is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

kevpants wrote: »
    I'm sure since it's a Crossfit gym your trainer has noticed you struggling and will alter your program accordingly...

single-tumbleweed-o.gif

burn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I started with a trainer recently - february, in a small class situation, for the first few weeks i did mountain climbers instead of burpees, then a mix of the two, with me managing less burpees than everybody else, now two months later, one stone down, and a dress size down, I can do as many burpees as the rest of the class.

I spent a lot of the first month in the class, going much slower than everybody else but working on my technique. I had only ever exercised at home before so I was doing a lot of things incorrectly, lunges for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

kevpants wrote: »

single-tumbleweed-o.gif

But in all seriousness burpees are only popular because they're really tortuous and people associate this with results. This is a mistake. Asking someone that overweight to do them even though she can't is ridiculous.
    Have to agree and it might be more of a programming issue than anything else I.e. If everyone else has to do 15reps per round you should be told to do e.g. 3-5reps.

Plus it's just a bloody tool to get a particular training effect and can't see why trainers have such a hard on for programming movements they think everyone should do when there are a ton of exercises that will deliver the same results

Advertisement