Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big course changes at Co Sligo golf club

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Is there any real need to make the course more difficult?
    I'm not really seeing the need when you look at the scoring there for the West of Ireland.
    The SSS was 74 & 73 for the two qualifying rounds this year and the weather was fairly kind iirc. +5 over the course par over 2 days for the SSS suggests that that the course is winning despite the odd short par 5.
    Admittedly I haven't really been following AM golf for that long but on first glance the top amateurs don't seem to be tearing the course apart?

I think some of main reasons citied were declining green fees, loss of notoriety/fall in rankings.
    For me, the decline in green fees is a pricing thing for Irish golfers and possibly a failure of golf in the north west in general to market the courses internationally. The South West have the American market wrapped up mainly due to excellent marketing... as many will argue that there's just as much quality to be found in the NW.

If it's dropping down the rankings (mainly) against other established clubs then I think that's just a PR/marketing thing. Are the courses it's losing ground to making big course changes? If not, then it's not the course itself imo.

Of course, if someone's going to come in and pay for all this it's hard to argue with it but at first glance I can't see how it's going to change things massively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Strange statement from Brian Keogh. I'm unclear if it's his own statement or quoting / paraphrasing someone else?

"In the past 12 years membership has dropped; revenue from green fees has nearly halved and the club is perceived to rank no longer inside the top 10 in Ireland and the top 100 in Great Britain and Ireland"

http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2014/10/14/county-sligo-keen-to-bring-irish-open-to-renovated-rosses-point

It may have dropped to 9 or 11 in Ireland, depending what list you look at, but Top100courses.com has it as 50th in UK & Ireland.

Would be delighted to see the Irish Open there but it would be interesting to see what their plans are. Making the course more difficult won't cut any ice if you don't come up with some money to throw into the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

The "mystery benefactor" is going to pay about 40k towards the cost not the whole lot as the original blurb would have you believe. Its seems that was mentioned at the meeting and apparantly they weren't sure at the members meeting that the vote would get across the line if didn't sweeten it a bit, still said it wouldn't cost the members a cent though. Started digging out the new bunker on the right of the first green already, not hanging about.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Unglika Norse

There is probably only 1 person on the Irish golf scene today ( although I am only guessing) who would be willing to come up with such a deal and not want the credit for it. It would not be the first time that he has done something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

its great to see the investment, an absolute classic golf course. i wonder the person donating the money if he is the re designed?

also irish open - pie in the sky stuff the infrastructure is not in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

With all that work that's planned To redesign the course ,I don't think that 40k will go a long way tbh ..

Advertisement