Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

First Up wrote: »
    He'll need to make his putts today if he is to make it through to Sunday. Big ask.

That's an extraordinarily negative comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

abff wrote: »
    That's an extraordinarily negative comment.

Possibly a bit negative but hardly "extraordinarily". He is currently inside the second cut line but only by a shot so he will need to be on his game to stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Possibly a bit negative but hardly "extraordinarily". He is currently inside the second cut line but only by a shot so he will need to be on his game to stay there.

Well it's no more of a "big ask" than making the friday cut, is it?!

fullstop wrote: »
    Well it's no more of a "big ask" than making the friday cut, is it?!

Might be. He has been one under and two under so far. There are low scores out there and he might need one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Might be. He has been one under and two under so far. There are low scores out there and he might need one of them.

In that case so will everyone else around him surely?not everyone around the 2nd cut line is going to burn it up.....Unless he has a couple of really bad holes I reckon he'll be ok the way he's been playing recently. I thought his second round last week in Portugal was one of his best all year. No bogies, up against it after the 1st round but he delivered.demonstrated to me at least that he's in a much better place than 6 months ago when he was bombing out at the cut every week. Granted he wasnt exactly burning it up in the 3rd round when they were called in (still under par and making progress on the leaderboard never the less) but i would have been interested to see how hed have finished up the tournament proper. As I've said before in posts, I'd like to see him kick on now today and target a top 20 finish at least. A good solid round today will set him up nice.....fingers crossed sure but who knows? One things for sure,he'll give 100% out there!

• Advertisement

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    In that case so will everyone else around him surely?not everyone around the 2nd cut line is going to burn it up.....Unless he has a couple of really bad holes I reckon he'll be ok the way he's been playing recently. I thought his second round last week in Portugal was one of his best all year. No bogies, up against it after the 1st round but he delivered.demonstrated to me at least that he's in a much better place than 6 months ago when he was bombing out at the cut every week. Granted he wasnt exactly burning it up in the 3rd round when they were called in (still under par and making progress on the leaderboard never the less) but i would have been interested to see how hed have finished up the tournament proper. As I've said before in posts, I'd like to see him kick on now today and target a top 20 finish at least. A good solid round today will set him up nice.....fingers crossed sure but who knows? One things for sure,he'll give 100% out there!

Well I hope so. I'm just a bit concerned that is a birdie course more than a grinders course and PH is more suited to the latter. I think he will need to be in the 60's to be sure.

Well I hope so. I'm just a bit concerned that is a birdie course more than a grinders course and PH is more suited to the latter. I think he will need to be in the 60's to be sure.

Maybe that will be the case...i don't think getting birdies is a problem for paddy lately,maybe not as many to compete at the business end granted, so if he minimise the errors,he should get through the second cut and maybe even compete for a top 20...i think the leaderboard is bunched whereby a couple of shots picked up on those around him will make a big difference to his current position....

I agree that he will need to make some putts. So will everyone who wants to make the third round cut.

But when you say that it's a 'big ask', it suggests that you think he would need to play well above his normal standard in order to make the cut. I don't think that is a fair assessment of his current form, which has been a lot steadier in recent weeks than it was earlier in the season.

The third round cut is also 70 plus ties, so there will be at most 9 players (and probably slightly fewer than that) failing to make it through to round four. There are 50 players on -4 or worse and, even if we assume that everyone on -5 or better will make the cut, that still gives a better than 80% chance of survival to those 50 players.

It's against that background that I found the degree of negativity in your comment to be 'extraordinary'.

I agree that he will need to make some putts. So will everyone who wants to make the third round cut.

But when you say that it's a 'big ask', it suggests that you think he would need to play well above his normal standard in order to make the cut. I don't think that is a fair assessment of his current form, which has been a lot steadier in recent weeks than it was earlier in the season.

The third round cut is also 70 plus ties, so there will be at most 9 players (and probably slightly fewer than that) failing to make it through to round four. There are 50 players on -4 or worse and, even if we assume that everyone on -5 or better will make the cut, that still gives a better than 80% chance of survival to those 50 players.

It's against that background that I found the degree of negativity in your comment to be 'extraordinary'.

I would accept "pessimistic" as a compromise. Either way, I still reckon he needs a 69.

I would accept "pessimistic" as a compromise. Either way, I still reckon he needs a 69.

Fair enough. Let's hope that he scores at worst 69. It would be nice to see him move up the field and pick up a few world ranking points.

• Advertisement

Ouch! Just gone bogey, double bogey to slip back to 2 under overall after 9 holes.

Bogeyed the 8th and failed to birdie the par 5 9th to finish 1 over today and 2 under for the tournament. Currently tied 72nd and in danger of not making it through to Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Annus horribilis for Padraig, around 20 world ranking points garnered from 28 events.

Yes, bad year for him so far. And this week doesn't look like helping. Currently tied 74th and looks like an MDF for him. Hopefully just a blip in his recent (slight) improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    And it could have been better--he only parred the par 5 16th, the easiest hole on the course

If fives are the new sevens then we'll all be happy

Very disappointing for paddy.made the half way cut handily enough and 2 bad holes cost him dearly in the end.if there weren't so many ties resulting in a 3rd round cut,he might have been able to put the disappointing 3rd round behind him and at least finished the tournament strongly.but I guess we'll never know if that would have been the case.will be interesting to see what positives he takes from this week to carry into next tournament....

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Very disappointing for paddy.made the half way cut handily enough and 2 bad holes cost him dearly in the end.if there weren't so many ties resulting in a 3rd round cut,he might have been able to put the disappointing 3rd round behind him and at least finished the tournament strongly.but I guess we'll never know if that would have been the case.will be interesting to see what positives he takes from this week to carry into next tournament....

I was looking at the scores on Friday and the last guy to get through on the cut holed a 28 foot putt for birdie on his last hole. I remember thinking that it was unfortunate (not for him obviously!) that he made the putt as it put Padraig at risk, but I was fairly confident that he would make it through to the final round, based on his recent improvement in form.

Unfortunately, this did not turn out to be the case and I hope that this does not set him back.

He was actually motoring along nicely at -2 for the day until those 2 holes.....you could argue that the dropped shot near the end sealed his fate.had he not and birdied his last as he probably would have expected as a par 5,he'd have been home and dry.....story of his year really but hopefully he'll get back on track next time...

Padraig teeing off tomorrow at 8:20 EST in Georgia in The McGladrey Classic with Shawn Stefani and Fernando Gonzalez-Castano. Here's hoping for a good finish for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I've a good feeling about Pat this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I'm optimistic about this week. Certainly he has been playing some nice golf lately, and I don't have my heart in my mouth when I watch - he was saying he is enjoying putting, which is great to hear.

So Padraig shot +1 today. Tied 80th right now. He had an early start but seemingly conditions are easier for the late starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

come home padraig. forget the US

Rikand wrote: »
    come home padraig. forget the US

Not an option right now unfortunately, as he hasn't qualified for the final series. I think he has a few events lined up in the US between now and the end of the year. Hopefully, they'll go well, but if not we'll probably see a bit more of him on the European Tour next season.

Not an option right now unfortunately, as he hasn't qualified for the final series. I think he has a few events lined up in the US between now and the end of the year. Hopefully, they'll go well, but if not we'll probably see a bit more of him on the European Tour next season.

That's it. Hopefully he plays well and gets his confidence up. Looking forward to seeing him in Europe next season.

Paddy just missed a 6 footer for birdie on his second hole...hopefully not a sign of things to come.....probably going to need to shoot 2 or 3 under to be comfortable for the cut!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I was thinking more along the lines of " Why dent his confidence anymore than it is.... "

Come home for the winter. Work on your game away from tournaments and be revitalized and refreshed for the New Year!

A nice birdie followed by consecutive bogeys.he's in trouble now.I recall I recently commented on how frequently paddy seemed to follow up a birdie with a bogey and it gives me no satisfaction to point it out again.fingers crossed he can weather the storm.even might be just about good enough.

That's three penalty drops he's had so far between yesterday and today. It just seems to be one step forward, two steps back at present. Hopefully he can turn it around and make the cut.

• Advertisement

Another dropped shot....now 3 off cut.....difficult to see a way back from here for even the most positive of supporters!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement