Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VII: The Fan-base Awakens

Options
  • 23-01-2016 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

mick.jpg

There has been an awakening ... Have you felt it?

Cont. from here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Ooo shiny!

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Ooooh, a shinny new thread.

So, who's gonna murder Gopperth tomorrow? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

LEIN wrote: »
    Ooooh, a shinny new thread.

So, who's gonna murder Gopperth tomorrow? :P

Brendan Macken?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Nice ak. Nice.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Sabotage :eek:

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    mick.jpg

There has been an awakening ... Have you felt it?

Cont. from here.

Handy that you could just copy this straight from your desktop background!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

At least he scaled it down a bit. Usually it'd be a bit more ... focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

New thread is a good time to ask the question.

Have your opinions of Cullen changed much since his appointment as head coach.

I have to admit I didn't feel good about him getting appointed at all, and it was a shaky start. But only two league losses later and the team is really humming. Rotation makes me happy. Almost every week the team selection gives me something to get excited about. In fact, I think I'm going to book my flights and buy tickets for Murrayfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

errlloyd wrote: »

I have to admit I didn't feel good about him getting appointed at all, and it was a shaky start. But only two league losses later and the team is really humming. Rotation makes me happy. Almost every week the team selection gives me something to get excited about. In fact, I think I'm going to book my flights and buy tickets for Murrayfield.

It will be interesting to see if the rotation will continue next season for big games or will it be the case of an almost identical starting team for all big games. The rugby has been so much more enjoyable to watch this season, apart from a few games after the world cup. I didn't like the appointment at first as I didn't think he did great as forwards coach but I've definitely changed my mind. Saying that, I'm sure Dempsey and Mcquilkin deserve plenty of the credit too

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Does anyone else think Rhys Ruddock will be a roaring success at second row?

Is he playing there today out of necessity or is he moving position? Leinster really need a top class second row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

errlloyd wrote: »

This is a good point, I thought it was an awful decision, I thought the forwards he was coaching were by and large awful last season and I thought he'd go the route of Foley in Munster, but credit were it's due his team selections and the general performances of the team have been really encouraging

Tox56 wrote: »
    This is a good point, I thought it was an awful decision, I thought the forwards he was coaching were by and large awful last season and I thought he'd go the route of Foley in Munster, but credit were it's due his team selections and the general performances of the team have been really encouraging

Credit where it's due. The last couple of months have been fairly positive for leinster, playing decent rugly, no major weakness, young players are getting great experience.

There's no way Cullen would have been made head coach in any other top club in Europe. He just doesn't have enough experience. Maybe he will be an exception and he's such a natural coach that he doesn't need years of experience. He appears to be doing well at the moment so let's hope it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Is he playing there today out of necessity or is he moving position? Leinster really need a top class second row.

I doubt he'll be anything more than a stop gap there. He's 6'3" tall which is simply too short to excel in the position and really limits our options in the line out. Our back row is quite short too with nobody breaking the 6'3" barrier.

The selection is interesting but it puts a huge amount of pressure on Toner who will be tracked up and down the line. If Cronin's throwing is off by a foot, we could see a few of our line outs being picked off today.

Ruddock is a fantastic player but he'll never be a lock. It's testament to his sheer power that he's able to even be considered for a start there at this level but long term it's not a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Buer wrote: »
    I doubt he'll be anything more than a stop gap there. He's 6'3" tall which is simply too short to excel in the position and really limits our options in the line out. Our back row is quite short too with nobody breaking the 6'3" barrier.

The selection is interesting but it puts a huge amount of pressure on Toner who will be tracked up and down the line. If Cronin's throwing is off by a foot, we could see a few of our line outs being picked off today.

Ruddock is a fantastic player but he'll never be a lock. It's testament to his sheer power that he's able to even be considered for a start there at this level but long term it's not a runner.

I think he could play as a second row but the problem is you would need a 6 exactly like Ruddock to accommodate him playing there

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ruddock is not going to be a 2nd row option for us except in case of emergency. Absolutely not, the scrum is going to be incredibly imbalanced today with him in there beside Dev, hopefully they had Feek this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ruddock is not going to be a 2nd row option for us except in case of emergency. Absolutely not, the scrum is going to be incredibly imbalanced today with him in there beside Dev, hopefully they had Feek this week.

But Franno said!

Buer wrote: »

His height could be an issue alright. If you wanted to play a high tempo game, he would be a great option. He would be great to speed up the play and make 2 metres. Toner is good for going in and hold g the ball up for a few seconds to draw in a second tackler but Ruddock would get you over the gain line faster

Denton was meant to start but injured himself during the week. We are at bare bones for locks right now with Maccer having played so much and desperately needing a break as well as both Kearney and Triggs injured. Molony is probably just too light to be starting begin Moore.

In terms of how Leo is doing I'm pretty happy. I was concerned when he was announced that it was too soon for him but we are playing some decent rugby and have been going well in the league. The European campaign was always going to be a bust really. The toughest pool I can remember combined with having to reintegrate 15-20 guys back into a new set-up after a gutting RWC was always going to mean Europe was a step too far.

That said we've still got issues. We haven't been as clinical as we could be at times and our mail stands out as a part of our game that isn't up to scratch. With the inexperience in the coaching set-up (McQuilkan aside who has our defence as mean as anything) it's to be expected though. They'll learn and develop with time just like the players.

I said during the MOC era that I just wanted to see a direction, some movement towards something. We're seeing that now. And the coaches aren't afraid to give young guys a shot and rotate the squad a bit. So there's a lot more positives than negatives even if we were dumped out of Europe really early. We have to go and win the league now and we'll worry about Europe again next season, at which time I suspect we'll be able to mount a fairly decent challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I wasn't happy when Leo was announced and am still cautious. Integrating the 17 or so lads back into camp after the 6N will probably give us another few weeks of poor rugby. I think I'll wait until the end of his second season to judge Leo when he has had a good crack at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭LostArt

molloyjh wrote: »
    Good win for the As today to seal a home QF. 43-24. The game was a lot more competitive than the score line suggests. Rotherham are a big physical bunch who caused the young lads some serious issues at times. It was a 1-2 score game up until the last 5 mins. The game showed why aks favourite player will not be in the senior set up any time soon. Got 2 tries but overall was fairly mediocre. Missed tackles, chased poorly, kicked poorly and rarely went looking for work. Thought Nick McCarthy went well and so did Crisbie at 10. The forwards had it all to do against a bigger pack but they all fronted up well.

Agree re McGrath, great finisher but his positioning and decision making in defence were pretty poor. Crosbie and McCarthy look ready to be more involved with the seniors next season, James Ryan too.

Teferi wrote: »
    I wasn't happy when Leo was announced and am still cautious. Integrating the 17 or so lads back into camp after the 6N will probably give us another few weeks of poor rugby. I think I'll wait until the end of his second season to judge Leo when he has had a good crack at it.

I'm not sure that it will tbh. The internationals didn't have a pre-season with Leinster so were learning the whole set-up from scratch. And then Sexton was coming back into that playing with guys he wasn't used to playing with as well. All of that on top of the RWC hangover thing. By now they are far more familiar with what the coaches want from them and so will be able to slot in a lot better after the 6 Nations.

We've only 4 league games once the internationals are back anyway (they won't be around for the Connacht game). Munster and Edinburgh at home followed by Ulster away and Treviso at home. We should win at least 2 of those regardless. The Munster one might be tricky given their lack of disruption and Ulster will be very tough. But with Zebre twice and Cardiff once during the 6 Nations we should be able to build on where we are enough to ensure a top 2 finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Does Dave becoming the better player automatically upgrade him to most handsome Kearney too?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

You'd have to say that some of our younger players must now be knocking on the door for a place in the stronges 23. Reddan was diabolical and McGrath must be first choice now. Noel Reid can't hack it at this level, but we're in trouble there as aside from Ringrose we don't have any other good options for next season. Dom Ryan is another who isn't good enough and Murphy is in such poor form that he's not much use right now. And please no more Ruddock at second row please. Get our best players in their best positions.

I always thought this season would be a write off due to the WC and 6N's being in the one season. I'm really disappointed in the senior players and how poorly they've played since coming back. On the other hand I've been impressed with some of the younger players who've really stepped up to the plate and taken their opportunities well. Some new stars we have. Some old stars are fading.

The season so far, the leagues recent form and performances have shown a change. European campaign was nothing short of a disaster. I still don't understand how they can have the European campaign start usually one/two games after the WC and Autumn international Windows. I know it probably doesn't have a major impact on most teams but it certainly does on us.

We were doomed quite obviously in Europe after losing our first at home especially with Toulon in the group. Even if there was a chance it went after we lost away to Bath.

I don't believe we will see the heady days of 09-12 again soon. Unfortunately we are too far behind the big spenders and at this point it's a very difficult catch up game. Certainly a good start would be to find an experienced coach. Leo has been shown to be out of his depth to a point. I don't fully blame him as I think some senior players are letting themselves down in their performances and have been found wanting.

We don't need too many imports I'd first try and get Isa to stay on. Johnny could be in trouble so I think we need a fly half, and a scrum half to replace the aged Reddan and Boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Clegg wrote: »
    You'd have to say that some of our younger players must now be knocking on the door for a place in the stronges 23. Reddan was diabolical and McGrath must be first choice now. Noel Reid can't hack it at this level, but we're in trouble there as aside from Ringrose we don't have any other good options for next season. Dom Ryan is another who isn't good enough and Murphy is in such poor form that he's not much use right now. And please no more Ruddock at second row please. Get our best players in their best positions.

Reid and Ryan are capped internationals. They should have no issues stepping up in games like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

London Welsh coming to Dublin for the QF of the B&I Cup in April (should be Moseley based on seeding but we can't face a team that was in our pool). We should win it but they're not a bad side. Only missed out on top spot by losing their final game to Cornish Pirates who topped the pool.

Some decent teams from the Championship in there but Bristol, the big team, missed out. I don't think we should fear any of the remaining sides.

Reid and Ryan are capped internationals. They should have no issues stepping up in games like this.

Those two caps between them against Georgia and shadow Argentina are a real mark of quality :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Reddan has moved from mixing the bad with the good to mixing the very rarely good with the bad. Its a travesty that there isn't a worthy scrumhalf established to nip at his heels. Its the same at Munster

• Advertisement

Well tbf McGrath is far better than Reddan and I've no doubt he'd be first choice if it weren't for injury.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement