Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Anyone here seen Predestination? Anyone who likes their time travel movies will get a kick out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

molloyjh wrote: »
    Anyone here seen Predestination? Anyone who likes their time travel movies will get a kick out of it.

Is that the one with John Calvin ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

molloyjh wrote: »

been meaning to watch that actually - is it anything like Looper
    i really liked Looper despite most my friends thinking was sh!te

Pink Fairy wrote: »

Ethan Hawke actually.
    wp_rathead wrote: »
    been meaning to watch that actually - is it anything like Looper
    i really liked Looper despite most my friends thinking was sh!te

Not really. Looper was an action film, this has almost no action at all. But if you enjoy a good time travel puzzle you'll get a kick out of the paradox in it. It's a real mind f**k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Anyone here not seen The Martian? ...

mfceiling? :):)

Watched it tonight on my "new" android box...but had trouble with the box and it's compatibility with our horizon box. It's alright as a switch off movie. Typical "America is great" movie I thought. Maybe I'm older and more cynical now and that's why I thought it was only ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I have not seen The Martian, have it hanging around as well. Maybe I'll watch it after the last episode of the expanse and the 6 Nations

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Haven't seen it either but Damon playing a scientist in Interstellar before The Martian wasn't the best idea, especially that scientist

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You had to say that

mfceiling wrote: »
    Watched it tonight on my "new" android box...but had trouble with the box and it's compatibility with our horizon box. It's alright as a switch off movie. Typical "America is great" movie I thought. Maybe I'm older and more cynical now and that's why I thought it was only ok.

I actually didn't care about the movie.... I follow a certain thread and saw your troubles, just thought I'd reach out and let you know we've all been there ;)

You had to say that

Actually thought I got away with the one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I enjoyed The Martian. It was entertaining but I don't understand how it got nominated for an Oscar and Straight Outta Compton didn't.

The Martian completely missed a chance to be something great. It's Matt Damon on Mars being a goofy scientist. He has absolutely no problems being stranded alone for years. It had a chance to convey how a human would face his own mortality and loneliness against outrageous odds of survival. It doesn't even try to do that, in fact he is constantly cracking jokes to a diary cam throughout. The soundtrack is great but it shouldn't be. Go in expecting a laugh. I was hoping for something more serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I have not seen The Martian, have it hanging around as well. Maybe I'll watch it after the last episode of the expanse and the 6 Nations

The expanse is a decent show. I was surprised because being produced by syfy I was pretty sure it was going to be a steaming pile of ****.
    The Martian completely missed a chance to be something great. It's Matt Damon on Mars being a goofy scientist. He has absolutely no problems being stranded alone for years. It had a chance to convey how a human would face his own mortality and loneliness against outrageous odds of survival. It doesn't even try to do that, in fact he is constantly cracking jokes to a diary cam throughout. The soundtrack is great but it shouldn't be. Go in expecting a laugh. I was hoping for something more serious.

To be fair from what I've seen of the book it's based off(I admit I haven't actually read it, just seen bits and pieces) it stays quite true to form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I haven't really followed the EPL but Leicester City's season has been incredible. Defying the odds!

I haven't really followed the EPL but Leicester City's season has been incredible. Defying the odds!

This time 12 months ago they were bottom of the league and looked dead certs to go down. Even if they don't win it this imo is one of the great sporting stories and if they do win it then maybe the greatest? Breaking into the elites with no money just isn't done.

This time 12 months ago they were bottom of the league and looked dead certs to go down. Even if they don't win it this imo is one of the great sporting stories and if they do win it then maybe the greatest? Breaking into the elites with no money just isn't done.

They've done very well, picked up a few bargain footballers for little money and have a fine manager in Ranieri. They have the ability to win the league alright, my only worry would be that they might lose a few if their better players in the summer to the "big boys"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

They've done very well, picked up a few bargain footballers for little money and have a fine manager in Ranieri. They have the ability to win the league alright, my only worry would be that they might lose a few if their better players in the summer to the "big boys"

Why would they leave if they won the league and wll be playing Champions League football, unlike some of the big boys

Synode wrote: »
    Why would they leave if they won the league and wll be playing Champions League football, unlike some of the big boys

Money

Bazzo wrote: »
    Money

That's it. Leicester pay 30-50k per week to their top earners. City, Utd, Chelsea would quadtruple the low end figure without batting an eyelash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

That's it. Leicester pay 30-50k per week to their top earners. City, Utd, Chelsea would quadtruple the low end figure without batting an eyelash

Vardy has just signed a 3 year contract for 80k a week AFAIK. Doesn't mean he won't be sold in a year or so though...

Dry January can fcuk off...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

mfceiling wrote:
    Dry January can fcuk off...

Dry January, February and March here. I feel great.

I'd also kill every poster on this site for a beer.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Vardy has just signed a 3 year contract for 80k a week AFAIK. Doesn't mean he won't be sold in a year or so though...

Yeah, but realistically if Chelsea pursue their interest in him during the summer it means his purchase price has increased by 10 mill. And his pay packet will more than ham double.
    I kinda hope that they win the EPL this season as I fear they'll lose 4 or 5 players in the summer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Buer wrote: »
    Dry January, February and March here. I feel great.

I'd also kill every poster on this site for a beer.

Would have thought twins would drive anyone to more drink

Just went out in a Tesla P90D, that ludicrous mode is absolutely ridiculous

The self-drive feature is nice, but its kind've like going out with a learner driver, IE you need to grab the wheel at certain points. Probably best kept for motorways and the like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Saw Zoolander 2 tonight. Complete and utter garbage, one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Teferi wrote: »
    Saw Zoolander 2 tonight. Complete and utter garbage, one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I never got what was so good about the first one. It's one of a number of those kinds of films that I just never found funny. Anything with Will Ferrell seems to be treated like its gold, but I've never found him funny at all. Except for maybe that one scene in Austin Powers years ago.

Give me The Life of Brian any day of the week.

Teferi wrote: »

I almost feel like I could have told you that in advance.

Bit of chatter this week about the Martian.

I love it, thought it was a great movie, not pure sci-fi but had plenty to it.

Recent watches that have been good:

1. Mr. Robot TV Series 10 Eps (7.5 /10)
    2. The Expanse TV Series 10 Eps (7/10)
    3. Terminus Movie - good end of the worlder
    4. Monster - Dark Continent - 3 Kings with aliens- good though
    5. Synchronisty - good so far... ish
    6. New X-Files - about the same as old x-files though scully has.. a higher ... price tag?

I watched "sisters" last night.. (the movie that is - calm down pink fairy).

Tina fey and Amy Poehler are very funny and for a man of my vintage they are very pleasant on the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Podge_irl wrote:
    Would have thought twins would drive anyone to more drink

4 feeds and changes during the night. If I started drinking I wouldn't stop for 18 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I hope to god that the EU actually go through with the region locking ban for 2017.

chupacabra wrote: »
    I hope to god that the EU actually go through with the region locking ban for 2017.

Hadn't heard anything about this. What's it with regard to?

Telecommunications legislation?

Telecommunications legislation?

Oh as in the roaming charges? I'd heard about that alright, I thought he might have been talking about either banning region locking DVDs, games etc or else something to do with geo-locked players for channels.

Three already let me use my UK number in several countries to call/text other UK numbers with no additional cost and use my data allowance with no additional cost.

It's based on a book and it's quite faithful to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I watched "sisters" last night.. (the movie that is - calm down pink fairy).

Tina fey and Amy Poehler are very funny and for a man of my vintage they are very pleasant on the eye.

They are great in 30 Rock and Parks & Rec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Oops, should have provided context, (i assumed it was discussed here a year ago)

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/29/eu-will-fight-digital-geo-blocking/

Plan is to banish geo blocking by 2017 to keep in line with the "open market" principle of the EU. Which hopefully would mean the likes of RTÉ wouldnt restrict live sports to, say, lads like me who live in small eastern european EU countries who find it hard to watch sports.

chupacabra wrote: »
    Oops, should have provided context, (i assumed it was discussed here a year ago)

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/29/eu-will-fight-digital-geo-blocking/

Plan is to banish geo blocking by 2017 to keep in line with the "open market" principle of the EU. Which hopefully would mean the likes of RTÉ wouldnt restrict live sports to, say, lads like me who live in small eastern european EU countries who find it hard to watch sports.

That's...interesting. Would have to assume that would massively impact the negotiation of TV deals though? RTÉ would pay an awful lot less precisely because of their limited availability.

Buer wrote: »
    4 feeds and changes during the night. If I started drinking I wouldn't stop for 18 years.

I genuinely feel for you Buer. My wife's sister had twin boys and I swear to god herself and her husband aged visibly in the first couple of years. I went from being a very light sleeper to a father and a man who could sleep through a bomb going off, as proved by sleeping through our house being robbed a few years ago - never heard a squeak.
    You've heard it a million times but it does get easier - mine are going into town for the Chinese new year celebrations...I'll have to sit at home in silence and watch the match.

My son just took the xbox controller off me to finish a bit of a level. He's 5 and I consider myself a really good gamer.

The torch has been passed, I'm a dinosaur. It's all over.

Little bit proud.

• Advertisement

I genuinely feel for you Buer. My wife's sister had twin boys and I swear to god herself and her husband aged visibly in the first couple of years. I went from being a very light sleeper to a father and a man who could sleep through a bomb going off, as proved by sleeping through our house being robbed a few years ago - never heard a squeak.
    You've heard it a million times but it does get easier - mine are going into town for the Chinese new year celebrations...I'll have to sit at home in silence and watch the match.

It's slightly funny (for me) to see how much my mam and dad aged as myself and my twin brother grew up. I still feel that twins are better than doing it twice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,927 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Watching the Superbowl. Who are the white team and who are the bluey ones ??

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

PTH2009 wrote: »

Denver Broncos (white) vs Carolina Panthers (black)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

PTH2009 wrote: »

The All Blacks and Glasgow. Seriously? Watch the game for 2 minutes.

awec wrote: »
    Denver Broncos (white) vs Carolina Panthers (black)

The Panthers are me fantasy wise.

:pac:

Martin O'Neill on the BBC coverage. "I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about"

Martin O'Neill on the BBC coverage. "I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about"

Was just going to comment that I flicked it on to see that BBC have brought in the expert voice of Martin for the analysis.

In a sports bar watching the Superbowl full of rag week *****. Home I think for me before o bottle someone

Half time show

What a waste of time if they done that for the gaa all Ireland's they would be uproar lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Very defensive game so far. Broncos defence are immense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement