Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France vs Italy match thread.

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

Anyone know who was mom?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Scythica wrote: »
    Anyone know who was mom?

fairly sure it was Parisse - commentary didn't say but they zoomed up on him near end of the match with his match stats at the time MotM usually announced

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

my friend wrote: »
    Okay, so call each game

Why would I try to predict the outcome of the entire tournament after watching 2 teams, one of whom was distinctly mediocre, play? :pac:

Bazzo wrote: »
    Why would I try to predict the outcome of the entire tournament after watching 2 teams, one of whom was distinctly mediocre, play? :pac:

Thought they were both mediocre tbh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Apparently Picachu has been ruled out for next week.

• Advertisement

Thought they were both mediocre tbh.

Well, compared to the **** they usually serve up, I thought Italy were decent. Still nothing for us to worry about mind.

He was taped up, heavily limping and on crutches.

Looked like a few weeks to me. Great player and lovely to watch but definitely a loss for them ahead of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Swan Curry wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything that I would back Kelly Haimona to do better than Sergio Parisse. Maybe some kind of pie eating contest.

This is one of my favourite comments ever.

Parisse wishes he was Zinzan. Everyone remembers the dg against England but he also slotted one against Wales at Wembley.

Parisse and Nowell doing me solids today so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭tanko

Maybe this has been covered already but was there a forward pass two passes before France scored their first try?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Well, compared to the **** they usually serve up, I thought Italy were decent. Still nothing for us to worry about mind.

That's us ****ed against Italy so.

LorMal wrote: »
    That's us ****ed against Italy so.

Mocker Gods and all I know but if Italy were to beat us at home for the first time since 1997 and second time in history it would be an unmitigated disaster. I didn't see anything today that has me worried that they might have the beating of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Mocker Gods and all I know but if Italy were to beat us at home for the first time since 1997 and third second time in history it would be an unmitigated disaster. I didn't see anything today that has me worried that they might have the beating of us.
    They beat us in 2013 too :(

They beat us in 2013 too :(

In Italy. They've beaten us once at home in 1997.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

In Italy. They've beaten us once at home in 1997.
    Gotcha. The second part said in history which seemed to me to mean all defeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Two poor teams playing badly there today. France started off well. Played with real intent and we're looking like they might be getting back to the France of old. It was getting ominous in the opening quarter. But it simply didn't last and they stumbled back into the mess they've been for the last few years. Italy for their part simply don't have the class. Guys like Parisse and Campagnaro will make inroads but against a more aggressive defence they won't trouble the scoreboard too much.

On Buers point regarding Parisse I did feel today he was taking on far too much at times. But I don't think the DG was one of those times. Nobody was stepping up. Sure guys may have been in the pocket at times but if they aren't calling for it then that's pretty damn useless. It seemed pretty clear to me that nobody wanted to step up at all and they were hoping France would give away a penalty. Parisse got pissed off and took it on himself. They were going absolutely nowhere and looked more like they'd give away the penalty than France would. Someone had to do something. As someone else said had he gotten it we'd be wetting ourselves and gushing over him at the same time.

EDIT: Vakatawa is class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Anyone know who was mom?
    fairly sure it was Parisse - commentary didn't say but they zoomed up on him near end of the match with his match stats at the time MotM usually announced
    Vakatawa was MOTM :cool:.

-

Just finished watching the game. A sluggish performance with lots of potential. We're starting from a blank page though. Let's hope today's win laid the foundation stone for our future success ;).

I like what Novès is trying to implement with the backs. It will obviously take some time. Vakatawa is a beast. What a premiere for him. Plisson stood up in the second half and took control of our team and of the game. Good. He has the potential to be our long-awaited 10. Bézy is promising. A decent premiere for him (bar his goal kicking).

But despite whatever huge Novès greatness could be, the needed revolution in French rugby did not happen (or just tiny bits and pieces here and there). So, there won't be any miracle recovery for this Tournament. We're still in the European second league.

After the 2 games today though, I haven't seen any stand-out performance. On paper, England has a huge potential, especially at the back but we did not see it that much today. At times, I even found them still a bit somehow hungover from their RWC failure.

The big game is tomorrow. Let's see what comes out of it...

iroced wrote: »
    Vakatawa was MOTM :cool:.

BBC were saying it was Parisse before the second game?

Plisson definitely seemed to grow in to the game. Is there any reason that Bezy was kicking in the first place? Is he normally the better kicker but the nerves got to him?

Vakatawa was impressive alright. I noticed he was caught out positionally once or twice and he had one very noticeably bad attempt at rucking but that's to be expected coming straight from 7s, I'm sure it'll come with time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

BBC were saying it was Parisse before the second game?
    :confused:. French TV said he got it and even interviewed him about it, how he felt to get such an award for his first ever cap.

Who got MOTM in the other game for you? B. Vunipola for French TV.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Vakatawa's intervention to hold up Parisse just before Canna scored was immense. As was his offload in the first half. His teammates often didn't seem to know what to do when he was going into contact and not going to ground. I suspect he's looking for an offload each time which might need to be coached out of him if the support runners are not going to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭stadedublinois

:confused:. French TV said he got it and even interviewed him about it, how he felt to get such an award for his first ever cap.

I think there might be a difference between the 'talent d'or' on French TV and the 'official' man of the match.

On the game, the defence was troubling (although Plisson said they had only spent 40 minutes on collective defence in training) but at least there was an attempt to play attacking rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭stadedublinois

Plisson definitely seemed to grow in to the game. Is there any reason that Bezy was kicking in the first place? Is he normally the better kicker but the nerves got to him?

Bezy would usually be more consistent but Plisson has improved a lot. But I was worried when he tried the last penalty, working with Steyn must be paying off.

Yeah Billy V was motm in the second game alright.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,045 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not bad for a guy who has minimal control at the back of a scrum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I sometimes wonder if Parisse wishes he had declared for Argentina instead of Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

just saw replay of it there - Parisse didn't look held for final French penalty

• Subscribers Posts: 41,045 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ah he did..

I'm just going by memory here but he was definitely in the ground with a tacklers arms around him.

He would have had a decent shout for a high tackle though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

looks like he's out for the rest of the tournament :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It depends on which angle you look at it from. From the angle the ref was looking it seemed he was held, from the reverse not so much. I think the ref made the best call he could from where he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Anyone know who was mom?

I imagine she was called Signora Parisse. Duh!!

Advertisement