Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retirement of Windows XP,,,change to Linux?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

In "lay" man terms what does all this mean? I understand support such as security updates etc will cease from April.

Do I need to buy a new operating system, like Win7 or 8 or should I carry on with XP and run the risks of having my computer "invaded" by hackers etc ???

What does one need to do to keep ones computer secure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

vicwatson wrote: »
    In "lay" man terms what does all this mean? I understand support such as security updates etc will cease from April.

Do I need to buy a new operating system, like Win7 or 8 or should I carry on with XP and run the risks of having my computer "invaded" by hackers etc ???

What does one need to do to keep ones computer secure?

1. MS (or third party) discovers a security hole allowing someone to turn your PC into a remotely controlled zombie/slave
    2. A delay (measured in days, weeks, months, years)
    3. MS issues a patch that fixes the problem
    4. You install the update that should fix the potential problem, so your PC stays under your control

Somewhere between point 1 and 4 a bad guy is makes some malware using that security hole. If it hits you before you install the patch then your PC is "hacked".

6. You might be able to fix the problem updating your system, scanning for malware, reinstalling and so on.

A security hole the will be discovered & exploited after April will not ever be fixed, so points 2 to 6 are out of the picture.

A hacked PC can be used to steal your personal information, bank/card details, send spam, mine bitcoins, keep alive a irc account or make a network attack. It happens all the time, but after the deadline you will not be able to recover from it, because there will be nobody to fix the hole.

If you need any help deciding what to do I'd suggest to open a new thread, post what's your typical PC usage (internet, photos, fb, music etc.), some details of the hardware (i.e. it's 6 years old pc) and you should get an advice if you can try linux or go windows 7 or maybe something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

human 19 wrote: »
    An Ri rua wrote: »

Dont know if you have used the terminal yet, but to confirm what card you have, , in a terminal enter "lspci" and paste the results here to confrim your card.

HI guys, thanks all. Its definitely Broadcom. Have been using the terminal. Have used lspci etc. Entered lots of commands from Ubuntu forum but nothing worked so far.
    Had Ubuntu 10 on it as a dual boot so downloading 13.10 now on another machine and hoping it will work with the Broadcom card. No ethernet connection either. It sees it but the indicator keeps 'spinning' and doesn't connect.

Will also try easypeasylinux on a live usb on it. Although I note that that distro has fallen by the wayside / not supported since last summer? Still, reckon I'll check it. Will also try Puppy and DSL just for ****s and giggles. Neither of them can find wireless on my MSI U135. Xubuntu works sweetly however.

Ah the joys of tweaking. I feel like I'm back on Windows 3.1 or an old Apple :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

HI guys, thanks all. Its definitely Broadcom. Have been using the terminal. Have used lspci etc. Entered lots of commands from Ubuntu forum but nothing worked so far.
    Had Ubuntu 10 on it as a dual boot so downloading 13.10 now on another machine and hoping it will work with the Broadcom card. No ethernet connection either. It sees it but the indicator keeps 'spinning' and doesn't connect.

Will also try easypeasylinux on a live usb on it. Although I note that that distro has fallen by the wayside / not supported since last summer? Still, reckon I'll check it. Will also try Puppy and DSL just for ****s and giggles. Neither of them can find wireless on my MSI U135. Xubuntu works sweetly however.

Ah the joys of tweaking. I feel like I'm back on Windows 3.1 or an old Apple :D

That "lspci" is for us!!! We want to see the output! It stands for "list pci" and it shows what devices you have in your laptop - that doesn't change with system, so use whichever works for you.
    It's not about entering lots of commands - it's about entering the right ones! :) (See that old thread - exactly same problems there)
    If your wifi works with xubuntu it's almost 100% sure that we can make it work with any other linux distro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

I get the impression you're looking at update dates on distrowatch, which are not the same thing as OS updates.
    Easypeasy hasn't been updated in 4 years and won't be again. It ran really well on my old Asus 701 in 2010. It may even support your wireless card, but getting one of the newer browsers working may be a a problem. DSL was great fun back in its day, but even though there was a flurry of "new release candidate" two years ago,it doesn't seem to have revived and the latest release is about 6 years old. Unless you have a lot of experience and a desire to wake up a particular supported device, forget them. Puppy has more potential, if you can find a build that suits you - it's a pretty good system.

Here's another suggestion though - have you considered chromiumos? Turn your laptop into an opensource "chromebook".
    The builds from arnoldthebat are updated daily with standard drivers, but he has a special build for broadcom wireless cards here:

http://arnoldthebat.co.uk/wordpress/2013/12/16/broadcom-special-edition-build/

It's a quick download, and boots from USB, but can be installed to disk.
    If your graphics card isn't supported he also does a build with older video drivers.

If your wifi is working with xubuntu, stick in a USB drive and mount it.
    Copy the firmware files it will have installed from /lib/firmware to your USB drive, and then you should be able to copy them to the same location on any other distro which will get you past that problem which people usually solve by downloading wireless firmware over ethernet.

Give PrzemoF the output of lspci and lets see what we can do!

• Advertisement

niallb wrote: »
    I get the impression you're looking at update dates on distrowatch, which are not the same thing as OS updates.
    Easypeasy hasn't been updated in 4 years and won't be again. It ran really well on my old Asus 701 in 2010. It may even support your wireless card, but getting one of the newer browsers working may be a a problem. DSL was great fun back in its day, but even though there was a flurry of "new release candidate" two years ago,it doesn't seem to have revived and the latest release is about 6 years old. Unless you have a lot of experience and a desire to wake up a particular supported device, forget them. Puppy has more potential, if you can find a build that suits you - it's a pretty good system.

Here's another suggestion though - have you considered chromiumos? Turn your laptop into an opensource "chromebook".
    The builds from arnoldthebat are updated daily with standard drivers, but he has a special build for broadcom wireless cards here:

http://arnoldthebat.co.uk/wordpress/2013/12/16/broadcom-special-edition-build/

It's a quick download, and boots from USB, but can be installed to disk.
    If your graphics card isn't supported he also does a build with older video drivers.

If your wifi is working with xubuntu, stick in a USB drive and mount it.
    Copy the firmware files it will have installed from /lib/firmware to your USB drive, and then you should be able to copy them to the same location on any other distro which will get you past that problem which people usually solve by downloading wireless firmware over ethernet.

Give PrzemoF the output of lspci and lets see what we can do!

Thanks, no I was following up on easypeasy as someone had it working well on their Inspiron 1300. I then noted that it had ceased being supported since July 13. According to its creator Jon Ramvi.

No, no ethernet or wireless with Xubuntu 13 on the Inspiron 1300. But using it on an MSI U135. Attempted Ubuntu 13.10 on live USB (10.04 worked bery well before) for the 1300 but encountered a 'pae' issue. Have read that its a simple workaround for my chip (I upgraded to a 2.0ghz Dothan over Christmas. V sweet speed upgrade when coupled with Linux).

Edit "If your wifi is working with xubuntu, stick in a USB drive and mount it.
    Copy the firmware files it will have installed from /lib/firmware to your USB drive, and then you should be able to copy them to the same location on any other distro which will get you past that problem which people usually solve by downloading wireless firmware over ethernet." Sorry, I misunderstood. Will copy from lib/firmware on MSI U135 to the 1300. Hadn't realised there would be Broadcom drivers downloaded in the MSI's build. I see them now. Will let you all know if this works.

Thanks so much re the ChromiumOS links. That is V interesting and something I will look at. Yes, using lspci its definitely a Broadcom. difficulty in providing that output is that I have no connection at all on that laptop. Ethernet connection just keeps spinning.

As I've downloaded Ubuntu Live USB (I know it sounds silly but I downgraded to a 10GB eMobile package with an e3131 and use an MR-3420 to push it around the house), I don't have the luxury of multiple distro downloads that I used to have. Can use wifihub but not a great solution either! As someone said, a Linux magazine CD might be in order. To test a few distros. Might check the local library, being a skinflint :D

Thanks for the tips re DSL. Found it a lot less friendly than Puppy Lucid, yes. Will try Puppy on the Inspiron 1300. The MSI U135 didn't like it one bit. ie no wireless, can't recall if ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Ah. PAE problems. Hate that. That'll make the chromium image messy too. Makes a lot of sense of the focus on older distros.
    I built an ubuntu 12.04 image which runs really well on my daughter's Dell D410 which has no PAE either, but I think it'll be the farthest it goes,
    as support for the non-pae kernel has been dropped in 13.04 and later. Hopefully forcepae will work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I'm sure if you ask nicely here some people will download the iso images and post them to you if money/internet is an issue.

Ste- wrote: »
    I'm sure if you ask nicely here some people will download the iso images and post them to you if money/internet is an issue.

Thank you :) I appreciate the sentiment. But its not that bad :) But going over download limits on midband can cost 20-40 in the blink of an eye. Trust me!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There are still 32 bit ISOs of distros available ....... its what I used on the Inspiron 1300 last weekend (PCLinuxOS).

As mentioned I used the Win XP driver with Ndiswrapper ..... I believe I read on the net somewhere that Ndiswrapper did not work with drivers for later versions of Win.

I think I had to reboot to have the wireless connection work.

• Advertisement

There are still 32 bit ISOs of distros available ....... its what I used on the Inspiron 1300 last weekend (PCLinuxOS).

As mentioned I used the Win XP driver with Ndiswrapper ..... I believe I read on the net somewhere that Ndiswrapper did not work with drivers for later versions of Win.

I think I had to reboot to have the wireless connection work.

Am I right in saying though folks that NDISWrapper depends on their being a dual-boot in place? I wiped XP from my drive. I have the 'Devices & drivers' XP cd but am getting nowhere searching for the Broadcom 4318 driver. I will jump over to the forum where I was invited as now my head hurts with a bad Linux headache :D

-I have Xubuntu on it but no windows drivers for it to tap and no wired connection. I've tried cutting and pasting lib/firmware as I see there's an extra 6MB in the updated Xubuntu on the MSI U135. But it won't paste!
    I have a fresh live usb of UBuntu 13.10 but it has PAE issues. The easiest way around that seems to be downloading Lubuntu with fake PAE.

God loves a trier. Not sure Linux purists will though when enough of us gobsheens invade yere space!!! :pac:

EDIT I'm off to shoot myself and donate my net worth to the posters on this thread.

Embarrassed is too light of a word for how I feel right now. I ...eh... had the ethernet cable plugged in wrong in the router. (Been a while since I used it?) Sorry!! :o:o:o:o

Told you Linux lads & ladies that the wave of idiocy coming your way will stupefy you!!

Ok, I don't know what to say. Dumb & dumber's lovechild :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Am I right in saying though folks that NDISWrapper depends on their being a dual-boot in place? I wiped XP from my drive. I have the 'Devices & drivers' XP cd but am getting nowhere searching for the Broadcom 4318 driver. I will jump over to the forum where I was invited as now my head hurts with a bad Linux headache :D

No, I dont know where you got that from but it is not dependent on being a Dual boot. You need the windows drivers, but you don't need a working windows system.

I set up a broadcom card on my girlfriends ubuntu a few weeks. Not a windows install in site.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I ...eh... had the ethernet cable plugged in wrong in the router

Ha! I emailed my ISP tech support a few months back giving out about how crap their speeds had become, and any time I wanted to browse to a different website there was a big delay, I 'diagnosed' this as a DNS problem on their end :cool:

They rang me back and assured me everything was fine and they'd checked my modem and all.

Out of the blue I decided to try a wired connection - and it flew :o my wireless router (not supplied by the ISP) was giving up the ghost. If anyone had asked me about poor internet speeds and they were using a wireless connection, the first thing I'd have suggested would be try a wired connection :rolleyes:

There are still 32 bit ISOs of distros available

I should hope so! I was running 64-bit linux on my old Macbook for a few years with no problems, then I (physically) dropped it and had to replace the HDD and rebuild, no recent 64-bit ISO would boot. It only has 32-bit EFI firmware, and newer 64-bit ISOs are built against 64-bit UEFI/EFI firmware. So I had to install the 32-bit version (openSUSE 13.1) which went perfectly. The Macbook doesn't support more than 3GB of RAM anyway so there's no real consequence of going back to 32-bit apart from that it feels like a wrong, backwards, technological step!!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement