Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pasta Quest: DMV. Esoteric Edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Time to sue, think of all the pasta you could buy with the settlement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

UDP wrote: »
    The RSA have called my religious beliefs a parody [...]
    Do you have this in writing? I wouldn't have thought that the RSA are legally competent to judge whether a religion is a joke or not. Have they quoted you any law on this? Or are they just making it up as the go along?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

robindch wrote: »
    Do you have this in writing? I wouldn't have thought that the RSA are legally competent to judge whether a religion is a joke or not. Have they quoted you any law on this? Or are they just making it up as the go along?

Methinks the person who wrote that response is going to be getting a slap on the wrists in the not too distant future.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The RSA have called my religious beliefs a parody thus refused the application I re-submitted before the NDLS offices officially took over. Time to take this further.

I'm very curious if they were dumb enough to put this in writing?

What exactly did they say or write?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

If they actually used the word "parody", they're fcuked. That would imply the RSA is in the business of deciding the value of individual religions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

RSA wrote:
    We have considered the application by yourself for a replacement driving license due to a change of address which you had submitted to Dublin City Motor Tax Office and would advise you the photographs provided do not meet the standard set by the RSA.

Head covering which are necessary to be worn in relation to religious beliefs are acceptable for an application for a driving license provided that there is a clear view of the eyes/eyebrows/forehead area with minimal shadows.

However, it is not possible to accept that headgear worn in relation to a 'parody religion' can be accepted.
    Followed by
    details of new NDLS centers and that the headwear I wore would not be allowed there either (paraphrased).
    Can contact the ombudsman if I feel I haven't been treated fairly.(paraphrased)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Time to make a media awareness campaign. Anyone work in PR/Legal ?

robindch wrote: »
    Looks like making it up. No mention of laws. I did mention on the re-submitted application that treating me differently to those of other religions would be a breach of the equal status act 2000.

I honestly cannot believe they wrote that.

Their legal team will have a canary.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Judging by the single quotes, they probably just looked up on Wikipedia to find out about this religion. Boy will they have egg noodles on their faces when His Noodly Appendigeness rains torrents of meatballs from the sky, and forces them to build a carbonarark to float to work on every day, seeing as cars can't drive in meatball sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Curious, would they also consider Scientology a parody religion?
    It is after all based on a story written by a scifi writer,

Its not the RSA's job to decide how true somebody's faith is,

So what are you going to do UDP? Do we need to start a legal fund?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Would it be worth getting Atheist Ireland on the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

lazygal wrote: »
    Would it be worth getting Atheist Ireland on the case?

Now why would Atheist Ireland be getting involved in religious matters like this?

You should wear a turban made of spaghetti then, if they accept turbans...

They should know better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I dont get it, whats the actual point.

Would your efforts not be better spent elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Strituck wrote: »

It's his religious beliefs they're refusing to accept. they are flat out calling them a parody. As good a place as ever to focus your efforts.

That's what I said when they tried to teach me Religion in school instead of Science, Maths, langauges, etc.

Didn't go down too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

It's his religious beliefs they're refusing to accept. they are flat out calling them a parody. As good a place as ever to focus your efforts.

But eh... FSM is a parody. Well a satire if we are to be correct.

Religious beliefs my left foot.

I wont reply anymore , because I dont want to be seen as trolling. I just dont get it.

Good luck with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Looks like making it up. No mention of laws. I did mention on the re-submitted application that treating me differently to those of other religions would be a breach of the equal status act 2000.
    Well you could explain that your choice of religion is yours alone and that, as the RSA, their role in this is to vet the application according to Irish law, and that Irish law does not permit the RSA to issue value judgments concerning theological issues.

For added marks, you could say that personally, you're feeling insulted by their traduction of your religion and if they're unwilling to process the application further for the invalid, inappropriate and entirely illegal reason stated, that you'll be taking the issue up with the equality commissioner.

And thank them for their kind attention to your application.

• Advertisement

I wont reply anymore , because I dont want to be seen as trolling. I just dont get it.

Good luck with it.
    I can see why you might be like "what's the point?" but the point of FSM is to show how religious groups are continually given special privileges and allowances over others, touting their religion as justification. (Eg. tax exempt status)

Also, I can guarantee you that there is at least one person who genuinely believes in FSM. The world is a strange place. So, why should that person be made feel like his religious beliefs aren't as worthy as others?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Good luck with it.

Curiosity, I guess.

A religion with special underwear sounds equally silly. Scientology was written by a sci-fi author. The point is people will believe anything yet certain beliefs are given more privileges than others for seemingly arbitrary reasons. The RSA, a state body, has made a judgement call on what is and what isn't a serious religion. In a supposedly secular country that's opening a can of worms. Think about it, parody religion or not, there's nothing to say that person on this Island doesn't genuinely hold such beliefs. Put it another way, suppose Islam was a new and upcoming religion. Suppose also some people took it very seriously but a majority treated it as a parody. How exactly would a state body be correct in refusing licence photos to Islam?

A parody religion, is still a religion. It wouldn't be called a religion otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Good luck with it.

Have to agree with Strituck. Why would Atheists be actively going out of their way for the country to acknowledge FSM. Isn't the place f*cked up enough?

It's like the people who put Jedi on the census......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Well seeing as society went the stupid route and decided all religions should be equally protected by law instead of none, the only option is to show society how f*cking stupid and unworkable and expensive that is.

I have the option of going down the Ombudsman or Equality Tribunal routes. I was thinking the latter as they have the power to force something to go ahead but I don't know about the Ombudsman as I don't see this remedy expressly stated on their website. Their website does mention redress here but it doesn't seem as definitely - a lot of "shoulds" rather than "musts". Maybe I should go down both routes at the same time?

I wonder would you have them inder the blasphemy law?

They've effectively downgraded & rediculed your religious beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Legend for fighting on.

I don't know much about either, but my business studies tells me that the ombudsman will do the heavy lifting, give a recommendation and if they don't comply it goes on some list read out in the Dail.

Become a minister of the pastafarian church so they have no wiggle room. And of course get offended if they question your faith and ask would they grill a Muslim or another faith that requires headgear.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Sarky wrote: »
    Well seeing as society went the stupid route and decided all religions should be equally protected by law instead of none, the only option is to show society how f*cking stupid and unworkable and expensive that is.

Ah picture the scene:

Constantine is in Rome. He's sick of all the religious holidays. So many different gods to bend to. And he has an idea of how to show everybody religion is silly and all the holidays do nothing but cost the empire...

He decides to say he's a minority group Christian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I have the option of going down the Ombudsman or Equality Tribunal routes. I was thinking the latter as they have the power to force something to go ahead but I don't know about the Ombudsman as I don't see this remedy expressly stated on their website. Their website does mention redress here but it doesn't seem as definitely - a lot of "shoulds" rather than "musts". Maybe I should go down both routes at the same time?
    I'd be inclined to try the Ombudsman first, as this is more of a procedural matter, and they should be able to say if the driving licence people have exceeded their powers by making a value judgement on the "quality" or otherwise of a person's stated religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

It would be awesome to set a precedent that in years to come you can literally wear anything on ID pictures.
    Just make up a fake religion around the item.

"Sir no hats in photo"
    "Excuse me this is the hat of the River Liffey God, passed to me after being given to my grandfather by Lord Poseidon himself in Coppe, I must wear it"
    "Right so..3...2...1"

Advertisement