Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

What's wrong with hawken? It's great, it would work very cool with oculus rift.

Just imo It's ok, With 3D vision the battle area's look blur'y the cockpit's look 2D. But i did not play it much i'll give it another go, just a bit disappointed with how it looks

and no ETA on the consumer version yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I guess both screens on the oculus are offset to give a stereo view so the PC would have to be capable of running both screens at 60fps each so effectively it needs 120fps?

Not sure how it work really but from the video it looks like the same image split in two so would only need 30 for each and then magically joins them together to make the 60 :)
    Squidwert wrote: »
    If you can run a game faster than the 60fps then they said it's a far better experience. Having Vsync enabled does create controller lag so i dont think i'll be using it and If the fps drop below 60 i dont think it going to be a problem. it's not like 3D vision where you really notice when the frame rate drops, games are still very playable.

Yeah when I heard him mention VSync I wasn't happy as I nearly always turn this off when I'm playing. He did mention though that having it off would have a bad effect on the expierience (probably screen tearing). Might be something do with how the headset reads the image from the PC.
    Am i right in thinking there is no set date for a consumer version yet ?

Well the developer kit is realased in a couple of months time so I think they are waiting for feedback from those developers on how to improve the device before actually releasing a consumer version (or giving a price/date).

Not sure how it work really but from the video it looks like the same image split in two so would only need 30 for each and then magically joins them together to make the 60 :)

each eye get's 60fps. they are trying to get a 120hz 1080p display for the consumer unit. so if your computer can run it at 120fps each eye can get 120fps. It's not like 3D vision

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I remember hearing in the video that to get everything working together 60fps/stereo/demanding game they needed a 680 card. Saying that the tech is just catching up to make it all posible.

grizzly wrote: »
    I remember hearing in the video that to get everything working together 60fps/stereo/demanding game they needed a 680 card. Saying that the tech is just catching up to make it all posible.

LOL i better get saving so. My gtx470 mite struggle but i'm still getting it

• Advertisement

LOL i better get saving so. My gtx470 mite struggle but i'm still getting it

I'd say you've enough time to, can't see it getting a commercial release until at least summer 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd say you've enough time to, can't see it getting a commercial release until at least summer 2014.

This may be wishful thinking, but I don't think they'll wait that long.

It's a completely untapped market and one which will be set to make them a lot of money if they get in first and do it right.

The longer they wait, the longer the dev units will be in the hands and under the scrutiny of competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I'm just curious about the specs (forgive the pun) and I'd imagine that framerate is important to avoid motion sickness. I would have thought that both screens would have to run at 60fps each and render a different view of the environment so that makes 120fps coming out of the grpahics card but I'm just speculating. Ont he upside, I doubt that games will have to have AAA title graphics to be immersive so even something basic like Minecraft would work quite well

I'm just curious about the specs (forgive the pun) and I'd imagine that framerate is important to avoid motion sickness. I would have thought that both screens would have to run at 60fps each and render a different view of the environment so that makes 120fps coming out of the grpahics card but I'm just speculating. Ont he upside, I doubt that games will have to have AAA title graphics to be immersive so even something basic like Minecraft would work quite well

Games where you are sitting like flight and racing sim's i think would be best suited for the rift. there is only one screen split into 2 1920x1080 7" screen in the consumer version of the Rift would be 2x 960x1080 screens

A dev kit pic of how the screen looks 1024x681
    doom-3-bfg-stereo-distortion-oculus-showfloor-quakecon-120803-p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

the more i read about this the more excited i get, hopefully they will keep it at reasonable money instead of getting greedy with a crazy price tag

• Advertisement

the more i read about this the more excited i get, hopefully they will keep it at reasonable money instead of getting greedy with a crazy price tag

they said $300 so i'd be very happy to pay that.:)

Yeah thats a good price, id easily pay that

Throw in a good pair of noise dampening head phones and games such as Metro 2033 will take on a whole new level of awesome.

Throw in a good pair of noise dampening head phones and games such as Metro 2033 will take on a whole new level of awesome.

Also, wouldn't it be cool if, in future, they could integrate in an xbox kinect to mirror your arm movements in the game world. Think of boxing games etc Might be a little tiring for Minecraft :pac:

Also, wouldn't it be cool if, in future, they could integrate in an xbox kinect to mirror your arm movements in the game world. Think of boxing games etc Might be a little tiring for Minecraft :pac:

I'd much prefer to see it utilised with something like the PlayStation Move and the gun. Playing a FPS with it is genuinely fun and far more impressive a use of the tech than the Kinect which is one of the most useless things I've ever used. I think that since getting a Kinect I've tried a dozen games and not one of them has gotten a second play, in fact were it not for the voice commands I'd most likely have it boxed away.

Throw in a good pair of noise dampening head phones and games such as Metro 2033 will take on a whole new level of awesome

I bought a pair of Sony Pulse headphones recently which would do very nicely with the Oculus so that the sound sorted. Plus had the added benefit of feeling the explosions etc.

Really need some kind of full body force-feedback though so you feel every hit. Make you really feel like your in the game.

I'd much prefer to see it utilised with something like the PlayStation Move and the gun. Playing a FPS with it is genuinely fun and far more impressive a use of the tech than the Kinect which is one of the most useless things I've ever used. I think that since getting a Kinect I've tried a dozen games and not one of them has gotten a second play, in fact were it not for the voice commands I'd most likely have it boxed away.

Or maybe with this https://leapmotion.com/

what we need is some sort of brain controller thingy ma jig, dont ask me how it would work, but thats what vr needs,

i suppose a more feasible method would be gloves with motion tracking and touch buttons on the finger tips, touch your index with your tumb in the left hand to run, vision panning with oculus, aim with right hand etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

what we need is some sort of brain controller thingy ma jig, dont ask me how it would work, but thats what vr needs

Screw your brain controller. Think bigger like The Matrix/Total Recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,906 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No we need a VR Troopers suit

• Advertisement

god i hope i live to see proper VR :) its been a dream of mine (probably all core gamers) since i started gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

god i hope i live to see proper VR :) its been a dream of mine (probably all core gamers) since i started gaming

mmmmm Kira Nerys in the holodeck...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

mmmmm Kira Nerys in the holodeck...

... with the lead pipe? ;)
    Cluedo humour, nothing filthy!

Also,
    Ezri Dax... with the lead pipe.

Found this nice looking controller which would be great for FPS.

ForceTek recently demonstrated the arm-controller part of the upcoming XIO system at E3.

The full XIO system (pronounced zee-oh) is planned to cover the whole body and uses “advanced exoskeleton technology to provide the player with different responses based on body position, speed of movement, and other sensed data.”

The XIO system, originally developed for medical physiotherapy, will not only measure the exact location of the player’s limbs, like Microsoft’s E3-revealed Kinect motion controller, but additionally incorporates a number of servos to provide tactile feedback and movement resistance.
    366fe40fe7750c6ac8190cb03cdfd121.jpg

The company claims that the arm unit is already an effective motion controller for games even without software support. ForceTek are also hoping for eventual developer support to enable much more interactive feedback.

The device shown at E3 was decidedly prototype looking and there are plenty of unanswered questions about eventual cost and practicality.

Yet with the XIO slated for 2011, gamers will already have had considerable experience with full body motion control so perhaps taking it to the next step won’t, by then, be entirely as farfetched as Ripley’s “loader”.

What I like about the Rift is that its simple to use. Like the PS Move you can sit comfortably in your chair and relax. There's no need to clear space to play and as cool as the above device looks I just don't see it being worth the hassle. Sure it may be fun and I know I'd try it out but using something like the PS Move and Sharpshooter seems far more preferable given its simplicity.

What I like about the Rift is that its simple to use. Like the PS Move you can sit comfortably in your chair and relax. There's no need to clear space to play and as cool as the above device looks I just don't see it being worth the hassle. Sure it may be fun and I know I'd try it out but using something like the PS Move and Sharpshooter seems far more preferable given its simplicity.

Yea you're right the PS move is good and very accurate. With Arma 3 out at the end of the year(hopefully) and with the with the racing and flight sim's i play i'll be selling my projector for this.

Using something like the Move/Sharpshooter would be more imersive but would not have an issue with aiming i.e. where you actually pointing the thing as you won't be able to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Games where you are sitting like flight and racing sim's i think would be best suited for the rift. there is only one screen split into 2 1920x1080 7" screen in the consumer version of the Rift would be 2x 960x1080 screens

Thanks, that makes it more clear. It's 60 fps but each eye gets a different image so effectively the graphics card has to be able to process 120 frames per second to give each side a slightly different view. But since the number of pixels is halved it wouldnt be as taxing as current 3D on 720p or 1080p which requires 120fps on a full screen.

Thanks, that makes it more clear. It's 60 fps but each eye gets a different image so effectively the graphics card has to be able to process 120 frames per second to give each side a slightly different view. But since the number of pixels is halved it wouldnt be as taxing as current 3D on 720p or 1080p which requires 120fps on a full screen.

Yea your brain works out all the 3D stuff like in real life. Some game's like battlefield 3 I'd find it hard to push 120fps but might be able to do it with the lower resolution. but the Flight and racing sims i play at about 200fps (if not using 3D) so i'm hoping i can get 100fps for a better experience.

• Advertisement

i am honestly more excited for this than any of the new consoles, hopefully we will start to hear a lot more about it in the coming months

Advertisement