Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

oh come on, what gamer hasnt thought about VR, il definitly get one of these on release

Sure but I honestly can't see it being more than a gimmick that won't be used once the novelty has worn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,580 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sure but I honestly can't see it being more than a gimmick that won't be used once the novelty has worn off.

Motion controls are a gimmick. Being smack bang in the middle of a VR world with full headtracking is not a gimmick, it's the next truly interesting step in videogames and I for one cannot wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Mirror's Edge is going to be terrifying with this headset! Possibilities are endless, especially for the likes of games like Amnesia.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,943 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I personally think its one of these things that can revolutionise gaming. In the consumer version the position tracker will be unreal in it. Imagine playing a fps and leaning over the wall etc

Possibilities are boundless

o1s1n wrote: »
    Motion controls are a gimmick. Being smack bang in the middle of a VR world with full headtracking is not a gimmick, it's the next truly interesting step in videogames and I for one cannot wait :)

From a personal pov I don't think I could see myself with them. My GF would probably disown me and I'd feel daft sitting with it on my head.

For FPS I'm more than dubious over the controls. I can't see how they'll get head, body and movement working more accurately then current methods.

For every other game type it'd be pointless/gimmicky.

I'm not saying I'm not impressed just I don't see it's worth at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

From a personal pov I don't think I could see myself with them. My GF would probably disown me and I'd feel daft sitting with it on my head.

For FPS I'm more than dubious over the controls. I can't see how they'll get head, body and movement working more accurately then current methods.

For every other game type it'd be pointless/gimmicky.

I'm not saying I'm not impressed just I don't see it's worth at this time.

I am getting one of these as soon as I can :)

As an avid gamer (MANY hours per day) I can't wait to be able to play some of my favourite games and new games in a whole new way.

Can you imagine being immersed into a fantasy realm such as skyrim and being able to have control over the character as if it was you yourself galloping through the valleys on your steed with your trusty axe on your back?

How about the likes of the horror Genre. I am getting goosebumps just thinking about playing an Amnesia type game with full immersion.

The competitive gaming scene will stay as it is. Don't see people getting to excited over this for the likes of counter strike and call of duty. Mouse, keyboard, monitor and headset is perfect for them.

Most FPS games aren't as immersive as other games so the oculus rift probably will not be catered much in them except for the more story and environment driven games.

Can't wait to get my hands on one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

but if everyone had that attitude we would never have vr as sure feck it screens are good enough, who cares what you look like? your in a bloody room with a computer, its not meant to be a fashion statement, VR is the next big step i want to see in gaming, screw all this crappy kinect/move/wii ****e

Limericks wrote: »
    I am getting one of these as soon as I can :)

As an avid gamer (MANY hours per day) I can't wait to be able to play some of my favourite games and new games in a whole new way.

Can you imagine being immersed into a fantasy realm such as skyrim and being able to have control over the character as if it was you yourself galloping through the valleys on your steed with your trusty axe on your back?

How about the likes of the horror Genre. I am getting goosebumps just thinking about playing an Amnesia type game with full immersion.

The competitive gaming scene will stay as it is. Don't see people getting to excited over this for the likes of counter strike and call of duty. Mouse, keyboard, monitor and headset is perfect for them.

Most FPS games aren't as immersive as other games so the oculus rift probably will not be catered much in them except for the more story and environment driven games.

Can't wait to get my hands on one!

I'm just as avid. I'm rarely off my pc. I'll concede the horror genre, there potential there but not enough to make me want one.

I think it's cool but I'm asking myself, would I come from work and put that on to game. The answer is no for me. Mostly because I'll still be sitting at my pc with a keyboard and mouse.

When it comes to market I guess we'll see if its truly adopted. My opinion is it will just be a little blip, soon abandoned.

Re seany, yeah looks matter I think. I'm not going to be keen on using something that makes me feel silly particularly as I share a flat with the GF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

I'm just as avid. I'm rarely off my pc. I'll concede the horror genre, there potential there but not enough to make me want one.

I think it's cool but I'm asking myself, would I come from work and put that on to game. The answer is no for me. Mostly because I'll still be sitting at my pc with a keyboard and mouse.

When it comes to market I guess we'll see if its truly adopted. My opinion is it will just be a little blip, soon abandoned.

Re seany, yeah looks matter I think. I'm not going to be keen on using something that makes me feel silly particularly as I share a flat with the GF.

Fair enough you are entitled to your opinion but I among others are looking forward to the next step in gaming. Whether that is the oculus rift or not is yet to be seen but it is one step closer either way.

Bit silly to not use this because of aesthetics. I am sure your GF will not care. And even if she does laugh at you it will only be for a minute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Oculus Rift combined with Euro Truck Simulator = months of my life wasted driving around a virtual Europe. The sooner this is on the market the better!

• Advertisement

No offence but if you are afraid to look a little silly in front of your girlfriend then it doesn't see like you have a particularly good relationship. Me and my girlfriend shared a place during the summer and I never once felt silly when wearing my 3D vision glasses or anything else. Ill happily wear the Oculus Rift in front of her and not feel the least but silly nor will she think that I do. I take it that you wouldn't play the wii or kinect in the comfort of your own he in case you look silly if your girlfriend was home?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ah balderdash, pants in the relationship blah blah :pac: in all seriousness though if you cant be silly at home where the feck can you, tbh im sitting at a pc playing games anyway so most "normal" people would see that as nerdy etc. adding an oculus really isnt going to change that

• Registered Users Posts: 34,580 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Most ridiculous argument ever! Feck sake man, think about it, if it's done correctly, you could be in a game. Total immersion in a virtual reality. It's proper sci fi gaming come to life. Think of the possibilities. Combined with motion controlling...it is going to build up to something great.

If all men didn't do things because they didn't want to feel silly in front of their girlfriends then the world would be a very boring place :pac:

Men need their silly things. Reasonable girlfriends know that and let them at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I presume that each eye receives a separate image. If so, it should be straight forward to have a 3D image in virtual reality. Sounds class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I wonder how many people will fall asleep with them on and then wake up in minecraft or whatever and be really confused or freaked out for a few seconds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I remember looking at this during the kickstarter phase and forgot all about it till last night and now I'm very very excited again. The only thing I'm worried about is what price they would consider 'affordable' . Either way I think it's going to have to be a piece of kit I pick up. Apparently Mirrors edge is one of the compatible launch games. Can you imagine. *Vomit*

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

They are aiming for $300 or lower for the consumer version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I had actually completely forgotten about these but looking back over this thread has gotten me excited about them again. My main worry was due to the fact I wear glasses I am worried how these will work but after reading more about them (including answers on this thread) I'm hopeful that shouldn't be an issue.

You can pre-order the Oculus Rift developer kit and access to the Oculus SDK from their website for $300 with an expected delivery date of April 2013!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Imagine the youtube footage this will generate – the pranks folks will pull while you're wearing this.

I love the guy's reaction in this vid. He looks bored till he put it on.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Apparently good for cockpit games - ones where you don't get the inclination to start walking 'yourself'.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Fnz wrote: »
    Apparently good for cockpit games - ones where you don't get the inclination to start walking 'yourself'.

Hawken+ oculus rift anyone?

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I here Hawken isn't that great too play though.

I have Hawken It's not great imo.

Games that will be supported at the dev kit launch by the Vireio Perception software:(Free software)

- Left 4 Dead
    - Half-Life 2
    - Portal 2
    - Skyrim
    - Mirror's Edge
    - AaaaAAAAA!!!!!!!!
    - Unreal Tournament 3
    - Dear Esther
    - DiRT 2

VorpX says: Supports DirectX9, 10 and 11 titles. About 40 games are supported already, including Crysis, Bioshock, Skyrim, Fallout 3, COD: Black Ops and many, many more. Even more to come. Detailed information on initially supported games follows as soon as the website is up (most likely mid February). Also many other developer's to get there top game's ready for the rift

Arma 2 would be great as head movement is already part of the game. Getting a good framerate in arma is a problem though. What's the required framerate for oculus rift to work effectively? (bearing in mind that it has to be displayed on two screens)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Looking through that list of the games that already support it, has gotten me more exicted about it.
    Portal 2/Mirrors Edge would be a mindfúcks!

Arma 2 would be great as head movement is already part of the game. Getting a good framerate in arma is a problem though. What's the required framerate for oculus rift to work effectively? (bearing in mind that it has to be displayed on two screens)

In that above video, the guy who was demoing it was saying that the game has to run at 60FPS with V-Sync enabled.

Once your PC could run the required game with the above you should be good to go. Your machine would need to be able to run the game initially on fairly high settings to get the best out of it.

Thanks but the trouble is that Arma 2 is fairly inefficient and doesnt run at 60fps even on an i7 overclocked beyond 4GHz (it barely loads modern GPUs). Arma 3 is meant to be out later this year though which should be more efficient. I guess both screens on the oculus are offset to give a stereo view so the PC would have to be capable of running both screens at 60fps each so effectively it needs 120fps?

If you can run a game faster than the 60fps then they said it's a far better experience. Having Vsync enabled does create controller lag so i dont think i'll be using it and If the fps drop below 60 i dont think it going to be a problem. it's not like 3D vision where you really notice when the frame rate drops, games are still very playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

What's wrong with hawken? It's great, it would work very cool with oculus rift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Am i right in thinking there is no set date for a consumer version yet ?

Advertisement