Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Romantic things to do? or Youve done?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

one thing i learned over the years... a woman always has the last word in an arguement cos the next bit you say is the begining of a new arguement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

laylah wrote: »
    Treat my girlfriend to dinner or some flowers when she least expects it. Also, on occasion I write her romantic letters. :oIs that too soppy or old fashioned these days?

Are you kidding me?! I don't know one girl who wouldn't swoon over this :p

*raises hand* :o

I broke up with an ex over the letters and cards he was sending me, full of romantic shoite. To be fair, they were exceptionally cringey!

The odd little romantic gesture can be sweet, but I hate anything sappy or over-the-top.

That's just me though, I'm sure there are plenty of girls who would love that sort of thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

*raises hand* :o

I broke up with an ex over the letters and cards he was sending me, full of romantic shoite.

Uh oh. I best go nab that postman before the next delivery.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Took an eight hour flight on a saturday, and an 8 hr flight home on monday night, and got interriogated by immigration as to why I would fly into their country only to leave two days later. It was worth it though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Am I the only man who can't understand what flowers do for the opposite sex?

I've gotten roses for different ladies down through the years and its almost always been a resounding hit with them.

Puzzles me; cos I'm like meh flowers... they look nice fair enough but they'll die in a day or two, I'd rather you bought me a few pints instead.

But no, with the laydeez flowers almost always are winning.

One of those things I'll never understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Polloloca wrote: »
    Took an eight hour flight on a saturday, and an 8 hr flight home on monday night, and got interriogated by immigration as to why I would fly into their country only to leave two days later. It was worth it though :D

ya big horndog ya:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mmm88

I spelt out I love u in gummy bears and put them under my fellas pillow for when he got into bed, awh good times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

cson wrote: »
    Am I the only man who can't understand what flowers do for the opposite sex?

I've gotten roses for different ladies down through the years and its almost always been a resounding hit with them.

Puzzles me; cos I'm like meh flowers... they look nice fair enough but they'll die in a day or two, I'd rather you bought me a few pints instead.

But no, with the laydeez flowers almost always are winning.

One of those things I'll never understand.

I don't understand cut flowers. They die and when they do they are nasty. I'd rather a guy brought a t-bone steak... Now that I would enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭phoenix833

Bought a GF an iPod for valentines one year but I had all her favourite songs preloaded onto it. She loved it in fairness. I got the good stuff that night...;)

Another girl loved a certain kinda teddy bear and wanted a certain type of easter egg. I said all the easter eggs were sold out but I'd bought one already, opened it up, cut the egg in half, put said teddy bear in the middle, sealed the egg back up with melted chocolate and re wrapped it.
    That got me a few brownie points.

I've landed for surprise visits with DVD's and whatnot when they were sick after saying I couldn't or when they were stressed over study just drive up for half an hour then head off home.

Some people probably read this and go "Agh PUKE!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

LoTwan wrote: »
    I don't understand cut flowers. They die and when they do they are nasty. I'd rather a guy brought a t-bone steak... Now that I would enjoy!

Yeah I'd pick steak over flowers too!
    phoenix833 wrote: »
    Some people probably read this and go "Agh PUKE!!!"

Nah, more like "aww cute!" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I am uber duber sappy and I'm always writing love notes and all that cringe worthy stuff!

Love candelit dinners and flowers. But any thoughtful gift or gesture is romantic I think. Doesn't have to be cliche, or expensive, just has to mean something for the couple. Last thing I bought my boyfriend was a really tiny Princess Peach figurine, accompanied with a soppy card :pac:

Just whatever works for the couple really! I was never very spoken romantic in previous relationships, if you understand. I tell my current boyfriend how much I love him and how much he means to me bla bla bla everyday, cause I know he appreciates it and likes it, unlike past boyfriends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

swapple wrote: »

282-mother-of-god.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Out Of The Night

Flowers are a cliche but I like them. White roses and sun flowers. I don't think I have ever had anything romantic done for me. What I consider to be romantic anyway. Little things are what matters or getting a surprise for no particular reason. My ex was and is really messy and his bedroom used to drive me crazy. One night I arrived in and he had scented candles and tea lights and it was just spotless. That was nice. That was years ago. I was told recently by a man that he would like to take me out for dinner and I was to pick a place. Love that kind of thing. But when I picked a place he didn't like it. I felt guilty then because he would have been paying. Anyway the weeks passed and he didn't bother going through with his offer. Meh.

Flowers are a cliche but I like them. White roses and sun flowers. I don't think I have ever had anything romantic done for me. What I consider to be romantic anyway. Little things are what matters or getting a surprise for no particular reason. My ex was and is really messy and his bedroom used to drive me crazy. One night I arrived in and he had scented candles and tea lights and it was just spotless. That was nice. That was years ago. I was told recently by a man that he would like to take me out for dinner and I was to pick a place. Love that kind of thing. But when I picked a place he didn't like it. I felt guilty then because he would have been paying. Anyway the weeks passed and he didn't bother going through with his offer. Meh.

Meh is right. My ex was told by a judge to take me out for a candlelit dinner (long story). My friend suggested asking for the money & sending him to McDonalds with a box of matches for a happy meal! Thankfully he seems to have forgotten.

LoTwan wrote: »
    Meh is right. My ex was told by a judge to take me out for a candlelit dinner

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

My GF liked a particular author whose books were out of print and she would take the chance to look for the books in second hand stores whenever she could.

I found and imported all books by the author as a suprise present for her.

swapple wrote: »

I had a guy bring t-bone steak last night ;) be still my beating heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

*puke" stuff like this never happens to me. Been brought on a few once off cinema dates...then nothing. Oh Well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mcmacness

Was just watching tv there and a quote from Shakespeare came on and reminded me that I once got a note from my ex with it written in it "Doubt thou the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love". Thought it was super romantic at the time (I was 16) and I'm pretty sure its from Hamlet and he was studying it for the Leaving Cert :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

I find roses tend to do the trick. When I was wooing my better half earlier this year, it worked well with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

DB21 wrote: »
    I find roses tend to do the trick. When I was wooing my better half earlier this year, it worked well with her.

Ah it very much depends on the girl.

Roses would do nothing for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

DB21 wrote: »

i find their a complete cliche and show any lack of imagination or sophistication there not romantic.. There just easy to do...

Romance is about knowing that when what ever it is you do will make her smile 10 years down the line, making her feel like she's the most important girl in the world, to you.

the way I see it is roses are just an add on to a romantic gesture.. There ind a like the sprinkles some people get on 99!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I definitely get plenty of ideas but unfortunately don't get the opportunity to act on them. Ah well, it's like money in the bank for some lucky lady :cool:

I was seeing a girl a couple of years ago and she was mad into the X Factor and had said she'd love to be at the TV show. As it turns out, her birthday was right around the time the live TV shows would begin to air so I had said to myself, if we're still together then and everything is going well, I will book a surprise trip over to it. Alas we stopped seeing each other a while later so it never came to that.

My boyfriend had a little gift sent to me today. This handmade, funny clay monster figurine in a handmade box, cheap and cheerful. I loved it, and it was just perfect for me.

Doing romantic things is about knowing your audience! He knows I like funny, cute, weird things. He knows I like flowers, got me roses before and I loved them. I love having fresh flowers in my home, so that would be a great little gesture for me. I don't know if you can call these things cliche if they really are appreciated by the receiver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Chatterpillar: That's true. Should have had that in my post.

Snowie: It works as a stand alone when we're both broke students :L. Plus, the way I gave it to her is something that we can look back on and laugh about, as well as it sorta signifying the start of our relationship. However, it's not the ONLY romantic gesture I've done for her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭i_am_joey

prepared her breakfast and delivered it myself to her dorm early in the morning.

the little things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Hmm, this thread is reminding me that it's a while since I've done anything romantic for the other half. Between her and other exe's I've done the random picnics, weekends in Paris, flown to another country to spend a weekend with someone, gotten tickets for shows that I knew they'd like, read most of a book to an ex when she was sick, tracked down out-of-print books, dug out old movies they loved, sent her on treasure hunts, convinced her that we were too broke for something she wanted then sourced it in Belfast and took a sneaky half day from work to drive up and had it in a friends house where we sent her into the garage for beers on Christmas Day and there it was with a big ribbon tied around it.

Nothing beats the stuff you do on a random wet Tuesday afternoon though. That or teaching someone that they are, in fact, capable of multiple orgasms ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Last Christmas I rounded up every photo I could find of the two of us together and put them all onto a digital photo keyring.

The previous year I got her flours, á la Will Ferrell in Stranger Than Fiction. Spelt Flour, Rye Flour, Wholewheat Flour, Corn Flour, Almond Flour, Rice Flour etc all in a hamper and nicely wrapped (she loves baking)

For Valentine's I cooked a fine steak, at Easter I made chocolate nests.

She had to cancel a meal out one night because she was sick, I rocked up anyway with chicken soup and nursed her.

Also have a surprise present on order for no particular occasion which I can't reveal in case reads this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

The nicest thing I've done?

A number of years ago I met this girl online, she lived in another country. We chatted online and emailed for a few weeks/months and then as luck would have it, my job transferred me for a few months to the country where she lived. She gave me her number before I left Ireland and we started talking on the phone every day once I got there, for hours at a time. I was getting to like her quite a lot. We had swapped pics too and I fancied her quite a bit.

I had been in abroad for about 4-5 weeks at this point and she phoned me up early one Saturday morning. Because of the time difference I was expecting it to be my parents as they quite often phoned me early on a Saturday morning my time waking me up :) It turned out it was her and we chatted for a while. She said she was feeling down as it was her birthday and no-one was around and she had nothing to do. Immediately a plan was hatched in my mind. We chatted a bit more then I made an excuse about needing to go do something and I got off the phone.

I immediately opened the yellow pages and started to look around for the phone number for airlines (she lived about a 2 hour flight from where I was based). I got the number of a few airlines and phoned up and priced a return flight. I got a reasonably priced one that left that evening and provisionally booked it. I called her back up a short while later and we chatted a bit and I said "Well if you're not busy then tonight, I've kind of got a flight pre-booked, I can fly down and meet you". She got really excited and I went to the airport and took the flight.

We met up and to this day I still remember what I thought "Wow that girl over there is really good looking, there's no way that's her" and sure enough it was her. We had a good fun night out and she told me afterwards that it was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for her, including ex boyfriends. At the time there was a possibility of me and her becoming an item but for various reasons it didn't happen.

I think to this day it's one of the nicest things I've ever done, but I wouldn't have done it I don't think unless I liked her so much.

I wouldn't rule out something similar for a lucky girl in the future too.

I sent my long distance lover a chocolate vagina in the post! He got it today, and was delighted :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Raven_Melody

An ex of mine once had a wee rant one night about the twixs not being in the Celebrations boxes anymore, so I got an empty box of celebrations, filled it with mini twixs and dropped it into his office so it would be a surprise in the morning; he was having a hard time and I figured it might put a smile on his face :)

My girlfriend was feeling a bit down recently so I filled a Tesco bag full of all the little sweets and chocolates she likes and also gave her my hoodie. She was always saying how I should give it to her so I slipped it into the bag of goodies and she wondered why it was in there.

I told her that if she's ever feeling a wee bit down to wear it or cuddle it to show that I wouldn't be too far away for too long.

That_Guy wrote: »
    My girlfriend was feeling a bit down recently so I filled a Tesco bag full of all the little sweets and chocolates she likes and also gave her my hoodie. She was always saying how I should give it to her so I slipped it into the bag of goodies and she wondered why it was in there.

I told her that if she's ever feeling a wee bit down to wear it or cuddle it to show that I wouldn't be too far away for too long.

Everytime I used to see my boyfriend he would give me whatever t-shirt he was wearing cause it smelled like him and would remind me of him.

I've had the same one for 7 months now though and its wearing off :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

My daughters mother when we where still going out, we had this huge huge row that ended up with us finishing. So for me to take make it up to her I did the following...

Her lucky number was 24, her favourite color was pink and she loved diamonds.

So I bought her 24 pink roses with each rose having a diamond at the top of it.

When she got them she told me she cryed that much she actually started being sick hahaha

We got back together that time only for it to end again so I decided not to waste another £150 on flowers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I mentioned to my better half that my office was boiling, like a sauna and I was really uncomfrotable.

Que her turning up at my office with 2 boxes of ice pops for me and the people I work with!

Sweetest, nicest thing anyone has ever done for me!

It's the little things that have the most affect! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Few more I've thought of since.

When I was 16, I went over to my exes house on Valentine's Day to give him his present. He brought me up to the attic bedroom where he had the whole place tidied, pink and red candles everywhere, rose petals, and had a tv and dvd player brought up and put at the end of the bed. He produced some Ben & Jerrys and proceeded to put on a film that was his favourite, I hadn't seen it before but it's now one of my favourites too.

He used to do lots of other little things too, but this was the grandest gesture I can remember.

For another ex, we had gone on holidays and had such a great time, it brought us closer together and we always looked back on it fondly. So for a Christmas present one year, I made him a scrapbook with photos and tickets etc. from our few days there and decorated it.
    We wrote each other soppy letters once as well, I used to bring him tea in bed at his house before I left for work, and when he was sick I called over with chicken soup. I was forever buying him little things I thought he'd like as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

My boyfriend has done a few lovely things for me like surprise candle-lit dinners and arriving with flowers (ones I've said in the past that I liked too, he knows not to bother with roses!).

The only drawback is that these often happen when he's trying to make something up to me. Would be nice to have a few romantic memories which doesn't also recall why he was being so romantic in the first place :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

With one ex, she loved one of my hoodies so I'd try to always wear it when I'd be staying at hers and she'd sleep in it.

With another ex, we'd been going out about a month and a half and I was falling in love with her but was very nervous about telling her about it. Anyway, her birthday was coming up so I decided to write down how I felt about her in a letter and put it into her card. It was great to watch as she opened the card and the letter fell out and she just started reading it. I was incredibly nervous but thankfully she felt the same way about me. She said it was the best birthday present ever and the most romantic thing anyone had ever done.

Perhaps the most romantic thing I ever thought of was one I never got to do. With the ex above, we met in a chippers. We started going out soon after and it was a really strong relationship, I was deeply in love with her. So I started planning how I was going to propose to her. I would take her back to the chipper we met. It was one we went to regularly so it wouldn't have seemed out of the blue. After we got the food (this place would give each person separate bags, even if you ordered and paid together), I'd open my bag and quickly slip the ring into it. As we only ever went there after a few drinks, I was planning that she'd be a bit worse for wear and wouldn't notice it. Then I'd say something like "Here, they got our orders mixed up, this is yours" and hand it to her and wait for the moment.

Unfortunately, we fell out of love and I never got to do it. I'm actually really frustrated about that, it seemed like the perfect plan! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey,

I was just wondering if you other guys believed in or practiced romance? My ex was very romantic and one of the reasons we didn't work out was because she thought I wasn't romantic enough. Is it just stupid, or can there actually be some meaning in it?

Just wondering what other guys thought.

Advertisement