Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Port Tunnel - Under Used & Overpriced ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Beechman wrote:
    Its interesting when you go into the link for ROUTE 142 , my point is proven by looking at the pictures and video . The €800 million tunnel is under used!
    .............and this sign is dodgy to boot............

Tunnel6.JPG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Victor wrote:
    I agree with mackerski and have made the point myself.People who car pool are people who would normally use buses, so in an Irish context, voluntary carpooling causes traffic.

That statements a bit general. Any stats or links to back it up?

What about the people who already car pool? I'd say it would be preferable to get them into the city in the tunnel. At the least it's a few less cars on the normal routes. I used to do it myself. I used to pick up 3 others and then have the daily grind to get into the city (until I figured out that for my route the bus actually is much quicker).

I wouldn't think that car pooling would increase cars too much. They still have to park when they're in the city. That's not a cheap option if your work doesn't provide you a spot. Might be handy for taxis too but they might not want to get their fares out of their cabs 20 mins quicker. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

is there any plan to build a tunnel from the port area that will link up with the N11, this completing the orbital route around Dublin (for trucks anyway)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭trellheim

Of course, why not wonder why it is closed at night time so often ? Perhaps they can't even be bothered to pay night rates to the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

trellheim wrote:
    Of course, why not wonder why it is closed at night time so often ? Perhaps they can't even be bothered to pay night rates to the staff.

From time to time, routine maintainance (Light changes, air con work, structural reports etc) takes place on the tunnels and to minimise disruption, it is done at night. More often than not, they will only be closed for short periods of time; it is rare for them to be closed all night though it can and does happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

is there any plan to build a tunnel from the port area that will link up with the N11, this completing the orbital route around Dublin (for trucks anyway)?

There has been talk of completing the Eastern Bypass, but no firm plans.

T21 includes money to study the feasibility of it, but not actually do it.

Had the Greens got into power it would not have happened. But now that it looks like they won't, it is very possible that the NRA will turn their attention to it and the Cork Northern Ring Road, now that all the current, major road projects (M50, interurbans) are coming to an end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

I used the port tunnel for the first time yesterday, heading northbound. Very impressive way to travel, especially when the Dubs would be clogging up several of the roads on the normal route to the airport.:) Fair play to DCC.

One thing I noticed which was a bit odd. It was almost impossible to see the lane markings - what should normally be a broken white line between the lanes was mostly a broken grey line (or even broken black line in places). Obviously the walls of the tunnel give you a clear idea of where you're supposed to be, but I was surprised to see that the markings had faded so quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I don't see the point in having a car only lane (The right hand one) then restricting cars from using it. I've used the tunnel quite a bit, as I often pick people up from the airport on a friday evening and the M50 is a no go area. Every time I've used it (and I have been through it when a boat has just docked) I have never seen more than about 6 maybe 8 lorries in there at any one time.

great idea, making it a mainly lorry facility, but I can't see the logic of having grid locked roads above an empty tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I have never seen more than about 6 maybe 8 lorries in there at any one time.
    Surely this is because you can only see a short section at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Victor wrote:

Indeed 8 lorries @ 100 meter intervals as is the required distance would be around the max you could see with the bends in the tunnel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Car pool 4 people+ should be free in the tunnel.

Actually, why should taxis be allowed to use bus lanes? People paying for VRT + petrol taxes + road tax pay far more than a single taxi user who gets to zip through the bus lanes....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Car pool 4 people+ should be free in the tunnel.

Actually, why should taxis be allowed to use bus lanes? People paying for VRT + petrol taxes + road tax pay far more than a single taxi user who gets to zip through the bus lanes....

Because 1 taxi driver can take 10-20 cars off the road a day by ferrying people in and out of town etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Taxis allow people who normally use public transport to continue their journeys when PT is not possible or suitable. Without taxis, most PT-only passengers would be forced to drive/buy a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Taxis allow people who normally use public transport to continue their journeys when PT is not possible or suitable. Without taxis, most PT-only passengers would be forced to drive/buy a car.

Fine, but why should taxi drivers be allowed use bus lanes when they have no passengers. Why are taxi drivers allowed to use bus lanes going to work when teachers, plumbers or or brain surgeons are not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

ardmacha wrote:
    Fine, but why should taxi drivers be allowed use bus lanes when they have no passengers. Why are taxi drivers allowed to use bus lanes going to work when teachers, plumbers or or brain surgeons are not?

I don't think they're allowed use them when the car is empty. The problem is in Ireland we don't enforce little laws like that so they use them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Victor wrote:
    but I tend not to be standing still, I also tend to be going faster than the lorries, in the lane which lorries are not allowed to use :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

ardmacha wrote:

Taxi drivers are only allowed in Bus Lanes when they have a passenger, or when they are on their way to pick up a passenger from a call. It is not uncommon for a Garda to ask a taxi driver to prove he is on a call by sitting in the back of the car and seeing where the driver goes! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

And we wonder why they can't catch the big criminals. Too busy taking pretend taxi rides. :)

Advertisement